inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Which era does the 2008-2009 school year belong?

Written By: mc98 on 04/10/20 at 9:04 pm

Another unique school year. Honestly, while new things were starting to kick in, the overall atmosphere was probably the last hurrah of the 2000s while the early 2010s starts to make an appearance.

Subject: Re: Which era does the 2008-2009 school year belong?

Written By: Slim95 on 04/11/20 at 4:02 am

It belongs to the early 2010s.

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/11/20 at 8:49 am

I went with both/transitional. It had some late 2000's leftovers like All-American Rejects and Shinedown, but it was the beginning of the Obama/Lady Gaga era.

Written By: mc98 on 04/11/20 at 9:09 am

Interesting.

The votes are kinda split between late 2000s and transitional. I always thought many people would view this period as transitional because of the recession, Obama, and Lady Gaga. I wonder what they think of the 2009-2010 school year.

Written By: Sman12 on 04/11/20 at 9:44 am

I would say transitional. Like what Batfan said, alternative rock was still popular along the charts with songs like "Gives You Hell" by The All-American Rejects and "Use Somebody" by Kings of Leon, but the years of 2008 and 2009 were probably the last times guitar-driven rock music ever had a major significance on Billboard.

Emo was still popular after looking across multiple online posts of emo kids from '08 and '09, but it was going on a decline.

Electropop quickly surpassed pop rock and electronic hip-hop in popularity with the help of Lady Gaga.

Obama won the presidency, and obviously changed the course of politics for 8 years.

The recession made people lose their jobs and homes, and the global economy was in a downturn.

Written By: 2001 on 04/11/20 at 9:52 am

To me it was late 2000s because I was still talking to my friends on MSN and smartphones were vanishingly rare, it was still all flip phones and slider phones or even no phones at all for kids like me. Britney Spears was also still the queen of pop for most that school year, and George Bush was the president for most that school year. Electropop had taken off but snap rap was still around, no one would shut up about Lil Wayne.

The early 2010s were coming in fast though. There was the recession, and Obama being inaugurated in the middle of that school year. Gaga would snatch the crown from Britney by spring 2009. By the end everyone was on Facebook and Twitter. In September 2008, I believe on the very first day of school I got asked if I had Facebook, so it was already quite popular, but as evidenced by the fact I said "no" and there were a lot of my friends who would say no, it wasn't the be all end all like it was in 2009 quite yet. I bought my first pair of skinny jeans in spring 2009 but they were still quite controversial then. Fashion was still dark, black, with a couple of bright colours but the signature colour was still white or black-that would change in 2010 when black became less popular. Hipsters were starting to pop up everywhere especially towards the end of the year.

Written By: mc98 on 04/11/20 at 10:06 am

To me it was late 2000s because I was still talking to my friends on MSN and smartphones were vanishingly rare, it was still all flip phones and slider phones or even no phones at all for kids like me. Britney Spears was also still the queen of pop for most that school year, and George Bush was the president for most that school year. Electropop had taken off but snap rap was still around, no one would shut up about Lil Wayne.

The early 2010s were coming in fast though. There was the recession, and Obama being inaugurated in the middle of that school year. Gaga would snatch the crown from Britney by spring 2009. By the end everyone was on Facebook and Twitter. In September 2008, I believe on the very first day of school I got asked if I had Facebook, so it was already quite popular, but as evidenced by the fact I said "no" and there were a lot of my friends who would say no, it wasn't the be all end all like it was in 2009 quite yet. I bought my first pair of skinny jeans in spring 2009 but they were still quite controversial then. Fashion was still dark, black, with a couple of bright colours but the signature colour was still white or black-that would change in 2010 when black became less popular.

Yeah, fashion in this time was still 2000s with baggy fashion. For the urban kids, oversized tees and pants were still in but the jerkin movement came in spring 2009 and changed the fashion throughout 2009. Scene was at its peak, a lot of bright colors everywhere in this period.

Smartphones were very rare during 2008-09. It was mostly a slider, flip phone, and chocolate era in mobile phones. It was also a school year that was like half Facebook and half MySpace. MySpace was on its way out but plenty of people still used it.

Music was still late 2000s. Despite Lady Gaga coming, the overall music was still rock, R&B, and urban pop.

Written By: 2001 on 04/11/20 at 10:41 am

Yeah, fashion in this time was still 2000s with baggy fashion. For the urban kids, oversized tees and pants were still in but the jerkin movement came in spring 2009 and changed the fashion throughout 2009. Scene was at its peak, a lot of bright colors everywhere in this period.

Smartphones were very rare during 2008-09. It was mostly a slider, flip phone, and chocolate era in mobile phones. It was also a school year that was like half Facebook and half MySpace. MySpace was on its way out but plenty of people still used it.

Music was still late 2000s. Despite Lady Gaga coming, the overall music was still rock, R&B, and urban pop.

If you guys saw my 2008-09 class photo you would die crying laughing at how 2000s it looks. There were still dudes with spikey porcupine hair and most of us had bangs, and all the girls had those bangs, some emo style. And yeah the clothes were all baggy. I remember my friend was wearing a shirt that went down to his knees in late 2008 and he told me that my mom asked him if that's the fashion these days and whether she should buy me a shirt like that as a gift ;D

Written By: wixness on 04/11/20 at 11:36 am

I hate to be a killjoy here but please try and group these sort of threads by decade instead of starting a new thread for every couple of years.

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/11/20 at 11:37 am

Good point about MySpace. Around that time I was using both about equally, posting pictures in both. I remember the last time I posted on MySpace was early 2010.

Written By: 2001 on 04/11/20 at 11:41 am

Good point about MySpace. Around that time I was using both about equally, posting pictures in both. I remember the last time I posted on MySpace was early 2010.

I think in the US, Facebook officially overtook MySpace in May 2009 according to Wikipedia.

In Canada it happened in early 2007 but that's because MySpace wasn't that popular in the first place. We were still chatting on IMs up until 2010. :D

Written By: piecesof93 on 04/11/20 at 1:26 pm

This was one of my favorite school years of high school and it was definitely late 2000s.

Written By: Wink-182 on 04/11/20 at 8:47 pm

I went with both/transitional. It had some late 2000's leftovers like All-American Rejects and Shinedown, but it was the beginning of the Obama/Lady Gaga era.

This right here, it's one of the few last years you heard rock being popular on the radio. With All-American Rejects having hits like "Give You Hell" and Shinedown's "Second Chance", both in the year 2008. And you had Green Day's "21 Guns" being also popular the year after.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 04/12/20 at 1:26 am

This was the curtain call to the late 2000s and the 2000s era in general. This was actually a quite sad school year for me personally and socially kinda… SOME of It's influences lasted till 2010-11 school year but it just wasn't THE SAME!

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/12/20 at 12:48 pm

Another unique school year. Honestly, while new things were starting to kick in, the overall atmosphere was probably the last hurrah of the 2000s while the early 2010s starts to make an appearance.
What happens when the school year is split into three-terms, each term divided in half?

Written By: kr37 on 04/12/20 at 2:16 pm

I think it was transitional, but I associate it a little more with the Early 2010s because of the changes in politics and technology.

Written By: mc98 on 04/14/20 at 12:12 pm

It's kinda funny how a couple of years ago, people consider this period as early 2010s but now, it's seen as more late 2000s/transitional by a majority of people and only 2 people consider it early 2010s (I know who one of them is).

Just Dance and Poker Face sound the most early 2010s in this school year but not much. The rest sound late 2000s af and sound more like the 2007-2008 school year than 2009-2010. There was rock like Gives You Hell, Sex On Fire, and Second Chance. There were R&B ballads like If I Were a Boy, I Hate This Part, Miss Independent, Halo. There was urban-pop songs such as Single Ladies, Right Round, Boom Boom Pow, Circus.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/14/20 at 12:15 pm

With some schools starting in April and other schools starting in September, does this effect which era the school year belongs to?

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 04/14/20 at 4:58 pm

This was one of my favorite school years of high school and it was definitely late 2000s.

I agree 100%. Although I was in middle school at the time, 2008-2009 was easily my favorite 8). And yeah to answer the question, 2008-2009 was Late 2000s culturally, but there was some semblance of things changing around the corner.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 04/14/20 at 5:05 pm

This PC World article is from June 16, 2009:

Facebook Overtakes MySpace in U.S.

Facebook has officially taken the throne as the most popular social network in America. Facebook surpassed MySpace in U.S.-based traffic for the first time in May, according to new data released by Web metrics firm ComScore. The news comes amid other signs of success for Facebook and struggle for MySpace, creating what may be a perfect storm for a changing of the guards.

And this speaks to my personal experience, as everybody in my school used MySpace in 2008-2009. When I came back to school in Fall of 2009, I was stunned to find how so many people had jumped ship from MySpace and into the Facebook camp!

Written By: Sman12 on 04/19/20 at 8:31 am

This PC World article is from June 16, 2009:

Facebook Overtakes MySpace in U.S.

And this speaks to my personal experience, as everybody in my school used MySpace in 2008-2009. When I came back to school in Fall of 2009, I was stunned to find how so many people had jumped ship from MySpace and into the Facebook camp!

Did the majority of kids still use MySpace at the end of the school year? Because I feel like there would be more kids using FB by May and June as the social network surpassed MySpace.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 04/19/20 at 9:40 am

Did the majority of kids still use MySpace at the end of the school year? Because I feel like there would be more kids using FB by May and June as the social network surpassed MySpace.

From what I recall, I barely knew anybody my age who used Facebook in 2008-2009, even towards the very end of the school year. However, I'd imagine that the people who adopted into Facebook earlier than most were those whom were primarily in college at the time, aka the 'trendsetters'. I remember in the Summer of 2009 when I was in camp, our camp counselors whom were college students were having a debate with us on "Why Facebook is better than Myspace", while my fellow cohorts were firmly on the side of 'Myspace being better' ;D.

However, when I went back to school in the Fall, it seemed to me like overnight that everybody had a Facebook account. I honestly didn't even hear much of the word 'Myspace' during that school year. Perhaps the transition was faster or slower for varying different regions in the country or for different age ranges, but overall that's kind of how I remembered it being a 13 year old from the 'Tri-State area'. It seemed like the transition took place during the course of the Summer of 2009, which coincides with the actual date when Facebook overtook Myspace in web traffic, that being on June 16, 2009.

Another thing that died by the time the 2009-2010 school year came around was instant messaging sites like Yahoo Messenger and AIM. I still remember a good chunk of kids my age that were still using that in 2008-2009 (It was the way most kids would flirt with girls digitally back in the day ;D). By Fall of 2009 though, there was practically no need for those sites anymore, especially since when it came to chatting with people on the internet it would be easier to chat with friends (or the opposite sex ;)) through just simply chatting someone up on Facebook.

Written By: Slim95 on 04/19/20 at 12:32 pm

From what I recall, I barely knew anybody my age who used Facebook in 2008-2009, even towards the very end of the school year. However, I'd imagine that the people who adopted into Facebook earlier than most were those whom were primarily in college at the time, aka the 'trendsetters'. I remember in the Summer of 2009 when I was in camp, our camp counselors whom were college students were having a debate with us on "Why Facebook is better than Myspace", while my fellow cohorts were firmly on the side of 'Myspace being better' ;D.

However, when I went back to school in the Fall, it seemed to me like overnight that everybody had a Facebook account. I honestly didn't even hear much of the word 'Myspace' during that school year. Perhaps the transition was faster or slower for varying different regions in the country or for different age ranges, but overall that's kind of how I remembered it being a 13 year old from the 'Tri-State area'. It seemed like the transition took place during the course of the Summer of 2009, which coincides with the actual date when Facebook overtook Myspace in web traffic, that being on June 16, 2009.

Another thing that died by the time the 2009-2010 school year came around was instant messaging sites like Yahoo Messenger and AIM. I still remember a good chunk of kids my age that were still using that in 2008-2009 (It was the way most kids would flirt with girls digitally back in the day ;D). By Fall of 2009 though, there was practically no need for those sites anymore, especially since when it came to chatting with people on the internet it would be easier to chat with friends (or the opposite sex ;)) through just simply chatting someone up on Facebook.

That's very odd because I was literally the last person my age in the group of my friends with a Facebook account in August of 2008.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 04/19/20 at 5:18 pm

That's very odd because I was literally the last person my age in the group of my friends with a Facebook account in August of 2008.

Once again, it depends on the region. I am speaking on behalf of where I grew up in within the Northeast U.S. Facebook was certainly popular in 2008, but for people around my age it was still primarily Myspace or AIM at that point. Perhaps the adoption rates for people in high school or in college would've been a lot quicker.

Written By: Rainbowz on 04/19/20 at 8:04 pm

My mom got a Facebook account in late 2008. My sister born in late 1996 got a Facebook in late 2009, so it makes sense.

Written By: Sman12 on 04/20/20 at 11:16 am

So it looks like Facebook was getting popular around 2008 to about late 2009 from all the stories that I've seen on this thread. Very interesting.

I personally haven't really heard about Facebook until 2010 (I was 9 and 10 years old that year) when it reached massive popularity.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 04/20/20 at 7:52 pm

So it looks like Facebook was getting popular around 2008 to about late 2009 from all the stories that I've seen on this thread. Very interesting.

I personally haven't really heard about Facebook until 2010 (I was 9 and 10 years old that year) when it reached massive popularity.

Yeah, by 2010 'FacebookMania' was in full force. Myspace was practically dead by that point (I think they were close to bankruptcy if I'm not mistaken ???). You also had the release of this controversial film that year:

https://movieposters2.com/images/706038-b.jpg

lB95KLmpLR4

It had an 'A' star cast; Jesse Eisenberg, Andrew Garfield, Armie Hammer, and others. Not to mention musician-turned-(surprisingly good)-actor Justin Timberlake, and former child star Brenda Song. The film won and was nominated for numerous awards, and it sort of made Facebook an official symbol of not only just 'pop' culture, but American culture as a whole.

Written By: Sman12 on 04/21/20 at 1:12 pm

Yeah, by 2010 'FacebookMania' was in full force. Myspace was practically dead by that point (I think they were close to bankruptcy if I'm not mistaken ???). You also had the release of this controversial film that year:

https://movieposters2.com/images/706038-b.jpg

lB95KLmpLR4

It had an 'A' star cast; Jesse Eisenberg, Andrew Garfield, Armie Hammer, and others. Not to mention musician-turned-(surprisingly good)-actor Justin Timberlake, and former child star Brenda Song. The film won and was nominated for numerous awards, and it sort of made Facebook an official symbol of not only just 'pop' culture, but American culture as a whole.

This movie's great. I watched it a few times and Jesse Eisenberg's character as Mark Zuckerberg is excellent.  :)

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 04/21/20 at 9:34 pm

This movie's great. I watched it a few times and Jesse Eisenberg's character as Mark Zuckerberg is excellent.  :)

Yeah it's a great movie. I rewatched it recently and was amazed at how much it still holds up. It was pretty culturally important at the time, from what I remember. It cemented Facebook as a permanent fixture in American life. By that point, it seemed like everybody had a Facebook.... including some of your older relatives 8-P. However, it was still seen as 'cool' for much of the Early 2010s. That was the case until about Mid-Late 2013, or so.

Written By: 2000s Nostalgiaist on 04/25/20 at 5:36 am

Yes. I am 30 now and remember back in my late teens how a friend I had used to do almost all of his female interaction through facebook. I have always shunned social media because I don't think it's a good idea to put your name and face on the internet, so I might have missed out on some opportunities like that in my teens.

Written By: 2000s Nostalgiaist on 04/25/20 at 5:37 am

Yeah it's a great movie. I rewatched it recently and was amazed at how much it still holds up. It was pretty culturally important at the time, from what I remember. It cemented Facebook as a permanent fixture in American life. By that point, it seemed like everybody had a Facebook.... including some of your older relatives 8-P. However, it was still seen as 'cool' for much of the Early 2010s. That was the case until about Mid-Late 2013, or so.

Yeah, by the time the older generation get on something, you definitely know it's popular!

Written By: 2000s Nostalgiaist on 04/25/20 at 5:39 am

Yeah, that's when snapchat and ticktock started becoming more popular. Or snapchat I'm not sure about ticktock if that was released back then or not. I would have been 23 in 2013 so still part of the "younger generation" unlike now! ::)

Written By: Sman12 on 04/27/20 at 11:27 am

Yeah, that's when snapchat and ticktock started becoming more popular. Or snapchat I'm not sure about ticktock if that was released back then or not. I would have been 23 in 2013 so still part of the "younger generation" unlike now! ::)

From my recollection, TikTok blew up in late 2018 after the "Hit or Miss" meme went viral. And the rest was history.

CwNiPlmolUs

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 04/29/20 at 9:33 pm

For the latter, I think you may be referring to Vine ;D. TickTok, in many ways, is a sort of spiritual successor to Vine, as the concept of Vine was relatively similar to TickTok and not to mention being very accessible. Vine perfectly defined the youth culture of the Mid 2010s to a tee, representing the youth of Late Millennials & Early Gen Z, aka 'Zillennials', as they were primarily in high school/college when this app was massively popular. It kind of just died overnight though, as it was announced in Late 2016 that the app was going to be closed for good in January of 2017,

One of many reasons why I cringe at those whom insinuate that 2016 was the start of the Late 2010s'

, signaling an end of an era.

Written By: Rainbowz on 04/29/20 at 9:35 pm

For the latter, I think you may be referring to Vine ;D. TickTok, in many ways, is a sort of spiritual successor to Vine, as the concept of Vine was relatively similar to TickTok and not to mention being very accessible. Vine perfectly defined the youth culture of the Mid 2010s to a tee, representing the youth of Late Millennials & Early Gen Z, aka 'Zillennials', as they were primarily in high school/college when this app was massively popular. It kind of just died overnight though, as it was announced in Late 2016 that the app was going to be closed for good in January of 2017,

One of many reasons why I cringe at those whom insinuate that 2016 was the start of the Late 2010s'

You know you're unhip when you spell TikTok wrong.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 04/29/20 at 9:37 pm

You know you're unhip when you spell TikTok wrong.

Ooof....

My bad haha ;D.

Written By: Zelek3 on 04/29/20 at 9:51 pm

I mean, I can kinda see why people say that. I'd say 2016 was both mid and late, stuff like Pokemon Go and Summer 2016 was leaning towards mid, but Trump's election in the fall/winter was leaning more towards late.

Written By: Rainbowz on 04/29/20 at 10:02 pm

I mean, I can kinda see why people say that. I'd say 2016 was both mid and late, stuff like Pokemon Go and Summer 2016 was leaning towards mid, but Trump's election in the fall/winter was leaning more towards late.

Yeah, I agree with this.

Written By: Sman12 on 04/30/20 at 10:50 am

Without a doubt, 2016 was the most transitional and explosive year of the decade. Most of 2016 was mid with deep-bass/EDM teen pop (a la Ariana Grande and Fifth Harmony), Vine, earrape memes, Pokémon GO in the summer, and peak SJW culture (BLM and Ghostbusters 2016, for example).

Late 2016 definitely felt like a different reality with the volatile political climate after Trump's win, despite Obama being a lame duck.

Written By: Rainbowz on 04/30/20 at 11:36 am

Without a doubt, 2016 was the most transitional and explosive year of the decade. Most of 2016 was mid with deep-bass/EDM teen pop (a la Ariana Grande and Fifth Harmony), Vine, earrape memes, Pokémon GO in the summer, and peak SJW culture (BLM and Ghostbusters 2016, for example).

Late 2016 definitely felt like a different reality with the volatile political climate after Trump's win, despite Obama being a lame duck.

I’d say September 2016 was the last true mid-2010’s era. It was the last month before Vine closed. October 2016 really started the late 2010’s IMO. By December 2016, we pretty much had an idea of what the late 2010’s will look like.

January 2016 and December 2016 are like two different worlds.

Written By: Slashpop on 04/30/20 at 12:43 pm

Not sure about the school year but the period felt like the tail end of the 2000s and a transition at the same time.

Written By: Slim95 on 04/30/20 at 12:46 pm

I’d say September 2016 was the last true mid-2010’s era. It was the last month before Vine closed. October 2016 really started the late 2010’s IMO. By December 2016, we pretty much had an idea of what the late 2010’s will look like.

January 2016 and December 2016 are like two different worlds.

2016 was a transitional year but the late 2010s began in early 2016, you could even argue in mid or late 2015 when Trump announced he would be running for president. In early 2016 EDM started to explode, Brexit happened, political division started to happen even more, and Pokemon Go happened in the summer, these are all late 2010s trends... They are quintessentially late 2010s. The mid 2010s was a very short period and all it was was a transition from early to late and only lasted 1 - 2 years or so. Very short era. The only year you can unquestionably say was 100% mid 2010s was 2014.

Written By: mc98 on 04/30/20 at 1:08 pm

Not sure about the school year but the period felt like the tail end of the 2000s and a transition at the same time.

Yeah, it was culturally late 2000s but it was transitional at the same time, especially the 2009 portion.

2016 was a transitional year but the late 2010s began in early 2016, you could even argue in mid or late 2015 when Trump announced he would be running for president. In early 2016 EDM started to explode, Brexit happened, political division started to happen even more, and Pokemon Go happened in the summer, these are all late 2010s trends... They are quintessentially late 2010s. The mid 2010s was a very short period and all it was was a transition from early to late and only lasted 1 - 2 years or so. Very short era. The only year you can unquestionably say was 100% mid 2010s was 2014.

Political division started with Gamergate and the BLM movement of 2014. Plus, you have a weird definition of what EDM is. It stands for Electronic Dance Music, it started in the 80s.

Written By: Slim95 on 04/30/20 at 1:26 pm

Yeah, it was culturally late 2000s but it was transitional at the same time, especially the 2009 portion.
Political division started with Gamergate and the BLM movement of 2014. Plus, you have a weird definition of what EDM is. It stands for Electronic Dance Music, it started in the 80s.

I don't care what it's called all I know is music sounded very different in 2016 than it did in 2015. If you look through each year-end chart you'll know what I mean. 2016 also introduced so many new artists as well.

Written By: mc98 on 04/30/20 at 1:36 pm

I don't care what it's called all I know is music sounded very different in 2016 than it did in 2015. If you look through each year-end chart you'll know what I mean. 2016 also introduced so many new artists as well.

Not really, 2016 has continued trends from 2015. The music of 2017 was when music started to change with latin pop and Soundcloud/emo rap took over.

Written By: Slim95 on 04/30/20 at 2:14 pm

Not really, 2016 has continued trends from 2015. The music of 2017 was when music started to change with latin pop and Soundcloud/emo rap took over.

That's wrong though. Mainstream music started changing in early 2016. 2017 didn't have change in not sure where you're getting this from...

Written By: mc98 on 04/30/20 at 2:26 pm

That's wrong though. Mainstream music started changing in early 2016. 2017 didn't have change in not sure where you're getting this from...

2017 was the year where Despacito hit #1 everywhere, which leads to a further interest of latin music hitting the charts since then. Rap renegades like XXXTentacion and Lil Pump began to influence hip hop with their distorted beats.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 04/30/20 at 2:58 pm

2017 was the year where Despacito hit #1 everywhere, which leads to a further interest of latin music hitting the charts since then. Rap renegades like XXXTentacion and Lil Pump began to influence hip hop with their distorted beats.

Dude, don't waste your breath. Slim has made up his mind that 2016 was the start of the Late 2010s. Is it a very un-nuanced viewpoint? I and most people happen to agree. I've conceded that 2016 (especially Late 2016) was rather transitional, as I'm sure most would accept the year as. No amount of credible evidence will ever allow him to even reconsider his viewpoint, so just let him be.

Written By: mc98 on 04/30/20 at 3:08 pm

Dude, don't waste your breath. Slim has made up his mind that 2016 was the start of the Late 2010s. Is it a very un-nuanced viewpoint? I and most people happen to agree. I've conceded that 2016 (especially Late 2016) was rather transitional, as I'm sure most would accept the year as. No amount of credible evidence will ever allow him to even reconsider his viewpoint, so just let him be.

Oh, I won't do it anymore then. What are your thoughts on the 2006-07 school year that I just bumped?

Written By: Rainbowz on 04/30/20 at 3:13 pm

I started high school in late 2016: Here's what I remember:

September 2016: The last true mid-2010's cultural era. We were just exiting summer 2016, so the influences were still there but slowly fading away.

October 2016: This was officially the turning point between mid-2010's and late 2010's culture. When Vine officially shut down, you knew the culture and atmosphere wasn't the same like it was in 2015. October 2016 is where I feel the transition started.

November 2016:
The biggest transitional month (for obvious reasons) Trump gets elected, the mannequin challenge is big.

December 2016: We slowly start to exit the mid-2010's as we learn more and more late 2010's

January - February  2017: It's leaning late 2010's at this point. Trump just became president, the women's march gets big.

March - June 2017: Fidget spinners become popular, the mid-2010's are fading, late 2010's culture is taking over.

July 2017:
Fortnite is released.

August 2017: We are comfortably in late 2010's culture. Fortnite gained a lot of popularity. The cultural era from 2014-2015 is fully gone now.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/30/20 at 3:48 pm

Which both eras?

Written By: Slashpop on 04/30/20 at 6:03 pm

September 2016: The last true mid-2010's cultural era. We were just exiting summer 2016, so the influences were still there but slowly fading away.

October 2016: This was officially the turning point between mid-2010's and late 2010's culture. When Vine officially shut down, you knew the culture and atmosphere wasn't the same like it was in 2015. October 2016 is where I feel the transition started.

November 2016:
The biggest transitional month (for obvious reasons) Trump gets elected, the mannequin challenge is big.

December 2016: We slowly start to exit the mid-2010's as we learn more and more late 2010's

January - February  2017: It's leaning late 2010's at this point. Trump just became president, the women's march gets big.

March - June 2017: Fidget spinners become popular, the mid-2010's are fading, late 2010's culture is taking over.

July 2017:
Fortnite is released.

August 2017: We are comfortably in late 2010's culture. Fortnite gained a lot of popularity. The cultural era from 2014-2015 is fully gone now.

Pretty much agreed generally speaking. Might change but it matches what I’m thinking. 

Written By: Zelek3 on 04/30/20 at 8:02 pm

November 2016:

July 2017:
Fortnite is released.

Good breakdown. Though I never really heard of Fortnite until like mid-late 2018. That's when I started seeing people on sites like Reddit really hating on it and pitting it against Minecraft (even though they're different genres).

Written By: mc98 on 04/30/20 at 8:05 pm

Good breakdown. Though I never really heard of Fortnite until like mid-late 2018. That's when I started seeing people on sites like Reddit really hating on it and pitting it against Minecraft (even though they're different genres).

It actually got popular in late 2017/early 2018. It blew up massively when Ninja played with Drake in March 2018.

Written By: 2001 on 04/30/20 at 8:11 pm

I think I made a thread in early 2018 asking if Fortnite was the next Pokémon because it was HUGE.

Written By: Slim95 on 04/30/20 at 8:13 pm

Fortnight became popular in around early 2018 I believe.

Written By: 2001 on 04/30/20 at 8:16 pm

Fortnight became popular in around early 2018 I believe.

Animal Crossing is the new Fortnite. Have you played it?

Written By: mc98 on 04/30/20 at 8:38 pm

The cultural era from 2014-2015 is fully gone now.

It blows my mind that the 2014-15 school year is the same distance to the 2009-10 school year as we are right now.

Written By: Dundee on 05/01/20 at 9:50 am

It blows my mind that the 2014-15 school year is the same distance to the 2009-10 school year as we are right now.
Eh, I think that school year is definitely starting to show its age:
aGOSAupXMas

There are still some influences of that lingering on now and it's indeed pretty funny to think that is as old as this was back then:
O60RddfoadA

Written By: mc98 on 05/01/20 at 10:58 am

Eh, I think that school year is definitely starting to show its age:
aGOSAupXMas

There are still some influences of that lingering on now and it's indeed pretty funny to think that is as old as this was back then:
O60RddfoadA

Vlogging culture is way more popular than it was back then. Most of the music and fashion are definitely showing it’s age as well.

Written By: Dundee on 05/01/20 at 9:03 pm

At least it wasn't in the garbage era of 2020 lollllllllllll

Written By: 2001 on 05/01/20 at 9:11 pm

At least it wasn't in the garbage era of 2020 lollllllllllll

I would take 2020 over that. Keep in mind back then we didn't know whether we were in a depression or a recession. If Bush/Obama didn't bail out the banks it very well could have been 1930s redux, and it felt like we were headed in that direction. Contrast that with today where the financial sector is stable (for now).

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 05/01/20 at 10:04 pm

It actually got popular in late 2017/early 2018. It blew up massively when Ninja played with Drake in March 2018.

Yeah IIRC, that's around when I first heard of it.

I remember when I went to this one frat party at around this point, and I remember a bunch of people huddling around some brother playing Fortnite ;D.

Written By: Dundee on 05/01/20 at 10:18 pm

I would take 2020 over that. Keep in mind back then we didn't know whether we were in a depression or a recession. If Bush/Obama didn't bail out the banks it very well could have been 1930s redux, and it felt like we were headed in that direction.

What you just said literally applies to 2020 power 2.

Plus I'm fairly certain it was definitely said to be a recession a month after the crash due to the different bailout plants, eg. https://money.cnn.com/2008/09/20/news/economy/bailout_proposal/index.htm?cnn=yes

Compare to how the current situation can dragged be over months without much capacity input.

Written By: Rainbowz on 05/01/20 at 10:27 pm

2008-2009 may as well be the 90's compared to right now. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Written By: 2001 on 05/01/20 at 10:29 pm

Not really, financial system seems to be going strong. I actually got very good news from my bank the other day about one US dollar CD investment I made back in 2018 (because the oil market crashed and the Canadian dollar is worth poop now) ;D

Written By: shadowcookie on 05/02/20 at 2:07 pm

The difference between now and 2008 is that we are intentionally crashing the economy. In theory once things start opening up again the economy should rebound - more of a U-shaped recession with a sharp fall and sharp rise, rather than a 2008 recession with an L-shaped recovery. The financial system isn’t collapsing like it was then.

However I’m not really optimistic. Governments are currently spending massively to keep the economy - and people - afloat. That money will need paying back, and it will probably be another decade of austerity for us. Various jobs and companies will disappear forever. The hospitality and tourism industries in particular are going to be screwed.

Written By: mc98 on 07/11/20 at 2:56 pm

Bringing an old topic back but I want to credit this period as the building block for the 2010s. I won't say it is mostly early 2010s since there were still many 2000s stuff here and there, it's just that a lot of things associated with the 2010s originated mostly here. The core 2000s were definitely put to rest in late 2008/early 2009.

Check for new replies or respond here...