inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Should the nostalgia STOP?

Written By: 2000s Nostalgiaist on 04/12/20 at 2:00 am

I've gotta say, if you are anything like me, you go around in an endless loop of nostalgia. But this isn't actually constructive, because you keep going back over old times and memories. I've gotta say, not much happened for me from 16-27. When I was around 27 I got my first full time job which allowed me to get some money and meet some people but that felt like it should have happened between around 18-24 rather than at 27 as I was at the time. That full time job helped my confidence a bit which has definitely had a positive impact on my life but it definitely feels like a bit of "too little, too late".

So I still find myself ruing and going back over that period of blankness between the ages of 16 (2006 when I left school, was nearly an adult and expecting things to start "happening") and 27/8 (2017-18 when I realised my "golden years" of youth were over but was also finally starting to find some confidence). So by "nostalgiaising" I am essentially trying to analyse and search for meaning and memories in those "blank years" when my life should have been taking off and I was in my youth, something with you can never get back.

As a relevant and classic cliche example. When you are 18, if you get on with a young 18 year old girl of the same age and want to make her your girlfriend, fine, but when you are 30+ people will want to judge you due to the age difference, even if you feel younger. I think also that youth=freedom, in many ways. Freedom from restrictions based on age and how people perceive you. You are an adult but you are a young adult and that leads people to think and see you differently. And if you didn't enjoy or "take advantage" of your young adult years doing things you can "get away with" then, you will most certainly regret it when you are 30+ years old.

But back to my original point, I think endless nostalgiaising and trying to find meaning in "blank" years is very non productive, but it does make you feel like you are making up for those years you lost, even if you aren't.

Subject: Re: Should the nostalgia STOP?

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 04/12/20 at 2:02 am

Eh... not really I don't think nostalgia is gonna never quite end... Some just want some things to look back on positively when they were younger or at a certain point in their lives...

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/12/20 at 2:06 am

“The Greek word for "return" is nostos. Algos means "suffering." So nostalgia is the suffering caused by an unappeased yearning to return.” ― Milan Kundera

Written By: wagonman76 on 04/12/20 at 4:16 am

I can’t think of any part of my life that I would want to relive. Too many problems in some way shape or form. But I do prefer a lot of the things from the older times. Music, tv, movies, cars, home decor, synthesizers.... These days for the most part I can pick and choose things I want in my life from back then, while still having the benefits of modern life.

Written By: CarCar on 04/12/20 at 4:35 am

I've gotta say, if you are anything like me, you go around in an endless loop of nostalgia. But this isn't actually constructive, because you keep going back over old times and memories. I've gotta say, not much happened for me from 16-27. When I was around 27 I got my first full time job which allowed me to get some money and meet some people but that felt like it should have happened between around 18-24 rather than at 27 as I was at the time. That full time job helped my confidence a bit which has definitely had a positive impact on my life but it definitely feels like a bit of "too little, too late".

So I still find myself ruing and going back over that period of blankness between the ages of 16 (2006 when I left school, was nearly an adult and expecting things to start "happening") and 27/8 (2017-18 when I realised my "golden years" of youth were over but was also finally starting to find some confidence). So by "nostalgiaising" I am essentially trying to analyse and search for meaning and memories in those "blank years" when my life should have been taking off and I was in my youth, something with you can never get back.

As a relevant and classic cliche example. When you are 18, if you get on with a young 18 year old girl of the same age and want to make her your girlfriend, fine, but when you are 30+ people will want to judge you due to the age difference, even if you feel younger. I think also that youth=freedom, in many ways. Freedom from restrictions based on age and how people perceive you. You are an adult but you are a young adult and that leads people to think and see you differently. And if you didn't enjoy or "take advantage" of your young adult years doing things you can "get away with" then, you will most certainly regret it when you are 30+ years old.

But back to my original point, I think endless nostalgiaising and trying to find meaning in "blank" years is very non productive, but it does make you feel like you are making up for those years you lost, even if you aren't.

Tbh I don’t really have strong desire to go back to my past. I only like listening to music from years ago but I also like present music aswell. I think some people on this forum are living to much in the past. I also find it really ridiculous when somebody has to much nostalgia for something from 10-3 years ago since things don’t really change that much from that time span at least not to me or to the point where I act like where living in that era makes me superior

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/12/20 at 4:38 am

Nostalgia will never stop for the scientific literature on nostalgia usually refers to nostalgia regarding the personal life and has mainly studied the effects of nostalgia induced during the studies. Smell and touch are strong evokers of nostalgia due to the processing of these stimuli first passing through the amygdala, the emotional seat of the brain. These recollections of one's past are usually important events, people one cares about, and places where one has spent time. Music and weather can also be strong triggers of nostalgia.

Written By: karen on 04/12/20 at 5:20 am

I don’t think there is a problem with looking back and talking about memories of toys, music, tv shows etc. That’s what this place is about - sharing memories of personal happenings and also news from past times.

It doesn’t mean rehashing the past and thinking about the what ifs of life. If that is all you can do then I think you have a problem. You need to see what happened when you were young made you the person you are now. If you don’t like where you are find a way to change it, but don’t just blame the past and fail to move on.

Subject: Should the nostalgia STOP?

Written By: Dude111 on 04/12/20 at 6:46 am

No way..... Stuff was way better then!!!!!!!!!

Written By: Howard on 04/12/20 at 7:28 am

nostalgia will never stop, people just like looking back at things of how the world used to be back when they were growing up.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/12/20 at 7:31 am

Hearing an old song can bring back memories for a person. A song heard once at a specific moment and then not heard again until a far later date will give the listener a sense of nostalgia for the date remembered and events which occurred then. However, if it is heard throughout life, it may lose its association with any specific period or experience

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/12/20 at 7:51 am

Hearing an old song can bring back memories for a person. A song heard once at a specific moment and then not heard again until a far later date will give the listener a sense of nostalgia for the date remembered and events which occurred then. However, if it is heard throughout life, it may lose its association with any specific period or experience

That is an excellent point that is seldom brought up. The knee-jerk assumption that old songs bring back memories. Oldies radio stations and the like have slogans like "we play memories".  And while it is true that if you only ever heard a certain song for three three months it was a hit when you were in high school and then never heard it again until years later it WILL bring back memories, there is also the case of the serious music listener who listens to the body of work by an artist for a lifetime and the songs essentially become living, breathing things throughout that lifetime, rather than just an old memory.  Therefore they do not necessarily evoke that "three months in high school" nostalgia. Not to mention the serious collector also ends up with alternate versions, live versions, demos, etc, of any given song, which adds to their "living, breathing-ness".

And then there is the unfortunate case of the so-called "classic rock" stations that, as if it were a law, only play (seemingly) the same twenty or so songs over and over ad naseum. "Hotel California", "Dream On" by Aerosmith,  "Don't Stop Believing'" by Journey, "Sweet Home Alabama", "More Than A Feeling". Every last bit of juice has been squeezed dry out of these songs and they now just exist as background noise.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/12/20 at 7:54 am

That is an excellent point that is seldom brought up. The knee-jerk assumption that old songs bring back memories. Oldies radio stations and the like have slogans like "we play memories".  And while it is true that if you only ever heard a certain song for three three months it was a hit when you were in high school and then never heard it again until years later it WILL bring back memories, there is also the case of the serious music listener who listens to the body of work by an artist for a lifetime and the songs essentially become living, breathing things throughout that lifetime, rather than just an old memory.  Therefore they do not necessarily evoke that "three months in high school" nostalgia. Not to mention the serious collector also ends up with alternate versions, live versions, demos, etc, of any given song, which adds to their "living, breathing-ness".

And then there is the unfortunate case of the so-called "classic rock" stations that, as if it were a law, only play (seemingly) the same twenty or so songs over and over ad naseum. "Hotel California", "Dream On" by Aerosmith,  "Don't Stop Believing'" by Journey, "Sweet Home Alabama", "More Than A Feeling". Every last bit of juice has been squeezed dry out of these songs and they now just exist as background noise.
Indeed it is for me, I can be almost brought to tears, lump in the throat, with certain song, especially the songs departed family members would sing, even when they were just simply cooking in the kitchen.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/12/20 at 8:00 am

Indeed it is for me, I can be almost brought to tears, lump in the throat, with certain song, especially the songs departed family members would sing, even when they were just simply cooking in the kitchen.

That sounds to me like the nostalgia aspect rather than the "living, breathing" aspect. You are associating the song with previous events, departed relatives, things that "once were". Nothing wrong with that at all and it's very, very common. What I meant by "living, breathing' is that the song sounds fresh every time and there is no particular "old feeling" that comes along with it but rather just an excitement or appreciation of hearing the song. Even though you've lived with the song for years. The song exists in a space apart from memories.

Written By: Sman12 on 04/12/20 at 8:01 am

I don't think the nostalgia should "stop", but it shouldn't be used as a crutch for people saying that their childhoods back then were better than ours or "Back in my day, we did/didn't have so and so unlike today". This happens with every generation, and it's honestly annoying. We should just appreciate positives from decades we've grown up in in a mild-mannered way.

Written By: karen on 04/12/20 at 8:06 am

This is more of a problem with classic rock stations in the US, the ones in the U.K. play a wider range of music. To me now I associate these songs with our time living in the US. Sometimes with a specific memory - we stood on the corner in Winslow, Arizona - and sometimes more the roads around where we lived, as I usually had the radio on driving to the shops, etc.

Some songs I hear, from various eras, and I will start to sing another song when it ends. It is the next track on the album, mix tape or Now CD!

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/12/20 at 8:10 am

I don't think the nostalgia should "stop", but it shouldn't be used as a crutch for people saying that their childhoods back then were better than ours or "Back in my day, we did/didn't have so and so unlike today". This happens with every generation, and it's honestly annoying. We should just appreciate positives from decades we've grown up in in a mild-mannered way.

Tell me about it! In my youth in the 60s and 70s I swore I would never be "one of those people" always talking about how much better it was (or how bad they had it, and how good we have it) during WW2, the Depression, the 50s, blah blah, blah...but let me tell you, it happens to you just as sure as the sun rises. Of course, coming from the 60s and 70s it is well known that we had absolutely, unequivocally, without question, hands down, you-bet-your-life, the best music in recorded history.  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/12/20 at 8:13 am

Some songs I hear, from various eras, and I will start to sing another song when it ends. It is the next track on the album, mix tape or Now CD!

Another aspect of that is from the days of vinyl. If a song on an album had a skip, and it was a song I listened to a lot, I would still hear that skip in my mind even when I later got a CD of it that had no skip.

Written By: karen on 04/12/20 at 8:18 am

Another aspect of that is from the days of vinyl. If a song on an album had a skip, and it was a song I listened to a lot, I would still hear that skip in my mind even when I later got a CD of it that had no skip.

This morning I was listening to Love Cats by The Cure on the radio. I had recorded this on a mix tape and slightly messed up the end. The final chord was longer than I expected, so I started to press the cassette pause button, realised the song hadn’t finished and stopped, but the song sort of slurred at the point. I always hear it this way in my head whenever the song is playing.

We also had a recording on American Pie that ran out part way through the song so I’m sometimes surprised when it carries on playing.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/12/20 at 8:18 am

Memories!

At pub of my younger days in my old home town, there was one single on a juke box that would always get stuck, and to joking annoy the landlord someone would set to play it...

...btw, it was "The House of the Rising Sun" by The Animals

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/12/20 at 10:02 am

This morning I was listening to Love Cats by The Cure on the radio. I had recorded this on a mix tape and slightly messed up the end. The final chord was longer than I expected, so I started to press the cassette pause button, realised the song hadn’t finished and stopped, but the song sort of slurred at the point. I always hear it this way in my head whenever the song is playing.

We also had a recording on American Pie that ran out part way through the song so I’m sometimes surprised when it carries on playing.

I suspect the version of "American Pie" you had that ran out was the 45 single? I had one of those too. The single divided the song over two sides. I forget exactly where they chopped it in half, but there was a slight fade out at the end of the first side, and a slight fade back in on the second side. And though some AM stations tried to be "hip" by playing the full length song (on occasion) at the time, I believe there was a special edit of the song supplied just for radio station play in those days. Again, I forget exactly what they left in and left out. Some radio stations probably made their own edits as well.

Nowadays of course, if one hears the song on the radio it is the full length "album version" as we used to call it.

Written By: wagonman76 on 04/12/20 at 10:32 am

This is more of a problem with classic rock stations in the US, the ones in the U.K. play a wider range of music. To me now I associate these songs with our time living in the US. Sometimes with a specific memory - we stood on the corner in Winslow, Arizona - and sometimes more the roads around where we lived, as I usually had the radio on driving to the shops, etc.

I have a lot of favorite albums I’ve listened to since I started collecting in the mid 90s. It’s not when I first heard it, but rather certain memorable things that happened when I was playing those songs even many years later. I can have many parts of my life associated with a single song. Some good some I’d rather forget. It’s still all good.

Also those compilation album commercials like Time life or whatever.... I would often hear a song and immediately think of the song that came before or after it in the commercial. Or like some said in my mixtape or even on my purchased cassette that had a damaged section.

The classic rock thing... yeah. We have a station that played all those songs when I was a kid in the late 80s and called it classic rock. Today they play that same thing still like they’re stuck in a time warp. I hear it when they play it at work sometimes but I listen to other things when I can.

Written By: Howard on 04/12/20 at 2:41 pm

Whether it be reminiscing about a song you used to hear from the radio or watching a classic TV show or sitcom you used to watch, it brings back good feelings to know where you were at that specific time.

Written By: Howard on 04/12/20 at 2:44 pm

I enjoyed playing a vinyl record on different speeds.  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/12/20 at 2:48 pm

You must had liked Alvin and the Chipmunks?

Written By: wagonman76 on 04/12/20 at 3:03 pm

You must had liked Alvin and the Chipmunks?

Haha my sister and I used to screw around with the record player and that’s what we always said it sounded like.

Written By: Howard on 04/12/20 at 3:16 pm

Haha my sister and I used to screw around with the record player and that’s what we always said it sounded like.

What was your favorite speed, Wagon?

Written By: wagonman76 on 04/12/20 at 3:25 pm

What was your favorite speed, Wagon?

One of my favorite bass players Lee Sklar said he learned to get good by speeding up records. Said if you can play it comfortably fast then it’s easier when you slow it down. I never did that but I’m not that good either lol.

Then you had the people who played records backwards.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/12/20 at 3:32 pm

Our family record player in the 60s had four speeds. 33 RPM, 45 RPM 78 RPM and 16 RPM. Naturally I knew that 33 was for albums and 45 for singles because I had those. There were even a few 78s hanging around the house. But I didn't know what that slow, slow 16 RPM was for. Years later I found out it was used primarily for spoken word instruction records (those used to be a thing) because it doubled the playing time due to the slow speed. A few jazz records were issued  using 16 RPM including Miles Davis, but it never really took off. Though I've collected vinyl for years, I don't think I've ever actually seen a 16 RPM album in person, only on the internet. 

Written By: AmericanGirl on 04/12/20 at 3:35 pm

One of my favorite bass players Lee Sklar said he learned to get good by speeding up records. Said if you can play it comfortably fast then it’s easier when you slow it down. I never did that but I’m not that good either lol.

Ha ha, I learned a little too late that these shenanigans are hard on the needle - and deadly on the record.  But we did it anyway!  Another thing we did, which was not so harmful, was put a 45 on and then play it at 33 and the singer sounded like they were chugging molasses!  ;D

Even crazier if it was played at 16!  (I think we only had one such record player.)

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/12/20 at 3:38 pm

Our family record player in the 60s had four speeds. 33 RPM, 45 RPM 78 RPM and 16 RPM. Naturally I knew that 33 was for albums and 45 for singles because I had those. There were even a few 78s hanging around the house. But I didn't know what that slow, slow 16 RPM was for. Years later I found out it was used primarily for spoken word instruction records (those used to be a thing) because it doubled the playing time due to the slow speed. A few jazz records were issued  using 16 RPM including Miles Davis, but it never really took off. Though I've collected vinyl for years, I don't think I've ever actually seen a 16 RPM album in person, only on the internet. 
The 1968 novelty hit "Sabre Dance" by Love Sculpture was a high speed cover version of the classical piece by Aram Khachaturian.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/12/20 at 3:44 pm

Lee Sklar! Great player that appears on many albums I own. Check out his playing on Gene Clark's legendary "No Other" album. Gene Clark was a founding member of the Byrds and his 1974 solo album "No Other" was soundly ignored when it came out (except by me, who bought it) but is now widely considered a lost classic. A unique blend of rock, folk, country, gospel choruses...there's no real description for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SU1ZWsAAxyk

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/12/20 at 3:47 pm

There is that classic hit "They're Coming to Take Me Away, Ha-Haaa!" from 1966 novelty record written and performed by Jerry Samuels, billed as Napoleon XIV. I remember  a schoolmate bringing to school when we had a record playing afternoon in class.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/12/20 at 4:05 pm

There is a difference between Reminiscing and Living in the Past.  (One is a song by Little River Band & one is a song by Jethro Tull.  :D ;D ;D ;D)

When I hear certain songs, it does take me back to another place, another time. That doesn't mean that I would WANT to go back to that place or time. A song will let me look at One Moment in Time (a song by Whitney Houston  ;) :D ;D ) with a smile on my face.  If I took a step back and saw not just that one moment but the entire time period, I probably wouldn't have that big of a smile on my face.

As that old commercial said, I've come a LONG way, Baby. I certainly don't want to go back. I have earned my stripes (both figuratively and literally) and I wouldn't want to have to earn them again.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/12/20 at 4:08 pm

There is a difference between Reminiscing and Living in the Past.  (One is a song by Little River Band & one is a song by Jethro Tull.  :D ;D ;D ;D)

Cat
Wasn't "Reminiscing" by Buddy Holly too?

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 04/12/20 at 5:41 pm

You are an adult but you are a young adult and that leads people to think and see you differently.

Well, in terms of legality, yes, but developmentally this is a rarity. Almost all humans become fully developed in terms of their prefrontal cortex (which controls reasoning including of the moral variety) only upon reaching the age of 25 years, maybe a year earlier for a minor group of people that aren't so rare to find as fully-mature 18-year-olds.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/12/20 at 6:09 pm

As that old commercial said, I've come a LONG way, Baby. I certainly don't want to go back. I have earned my stripes (both figuratively and literally) and I wouldn't want to have to earn them again.

Cat

Yes, you're showing your age with that commercial reference for Virginia Slims cigarettes. ;D  How many of us remember when there were cigarette commercials on TV? I remember the Tarryton cigarette commercial "I'd rather fight than switch".

I don't want to go back either. I've achieved a peace of mind I didn't have in my turbulent younger years. When older people say "I wish i was young again" what they actually mean is "I wish I had a young body with what I know now".

Written By: wagonman76 on 04/12/20 at 6:14 pm

Yes, you're showing your age with that commercial reference for Virginia Slims cigarettes. ;D  How many of us remember when there were cigarette commercials on TV? I remember the Tarryton cigarette commercial "I'd rather fight than switch".

I don't want to go back either. I've achieved a peace of mind I didn't have in my turbulent younger years. When older people say "I wish i was young again" what they actually mean is "I wish I had a young body with what I know now".

I don’t remember cigarette commercials on tv but I do remember those very ads in magazines. I also remember cigarette vending machines in restaurants.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/12/20 at 6:39 pm

I don’t remember cigarette commercials on tv but I do remember those very ads in magazines. I also remember cigarette vending machines in restaurants.

Then there was the strange case of Pall Mall cigarettes. That's how it was spelled, but everybody always pronounced it "Pell Mell". Even the commercials said "Pell Mell".

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/12/20 at 6:40 pm

There was one time I had a black eye and we got candy cigarettes (remember them?) so I could pose like those Tarryton ads. Yeah, it was a bad pic but I didn't take it.  ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: AmericanGirl on 04/12/20 at 8:09 pm

I think there's more than one kind of nostalgia.  The first kind is that where someone remembers (often fondly) the music they grew up with, and frequently associates memories of a certain place and time with various songs.  The second kind is when someone hears music from an era that preceded them, finds it engaging and falls in love with it - but has no particular memories associated with that music, as it wasn't the music of their youth.

For example, in the mid-80's (I was in my 20s), I was a regular listener to "oldies" radio.  These stations were aimed not so much at just old folks, but also aimed at younger folks like me.  They mostly played 60's and 50's music, with a sprinkle of early 70's - a sizeable percentage being new to me - but I found the unfamiliar sounds highly engaging and found myself consuming this music, even as I hadn't grown up with it.  So I could definitely feel nostalgic towards 50's and 60's music, even though it wasn't "my" music.  ("My" music consisted mainly of tunes from mid-1970 on.)

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/12/20 at 8:21 pm

I think there's more than one kind of nostalgia.  The first kind is that where someone remembers (often fondly) the music they grew up with, and frequently associates memories of a certain place and time with various songs.  The second kind is when someone hears music from an era that preceded them, finds it engaging and falls in love with it - but has no particular memories associated with that music, as it wasn't the music of their youth.

For example, in the mid-80's (I was in my 20s), I was a regular listener to "oldies" radio.  These stations were aimed not so much at just old folks, but also aimed at younger folks like me.  They mostly played 60's and 50's music, with a sprinkle of early 70's - a sizeable percentage being new to me - but I found the unfamiliar sounds highly engaging and found myself consuming this music, even as I hadn't grown up with it.  So I could definitely feel nostalgic towards 50's and 60's music, even though it wasn't "my" music.  ("My" music consisted mainly of tunes from mid-1970 on.)

It may be a matter of semantics, but I think what you are talking about is an APPRECIATION of the music, rather than a "nostalgia" for it. I'm not sure it's a literal possibility to feel nostalgic for something one didn't actually experience in the first place, especially if one goes with the dictionary definition of nostalgia as "a sentimental longing or wistful affection for the past, typically for a period or place with happy personal associations".

Written By: AmericanGirl on 04/12/20 at 8:28 pm

It may be a matter of semantics, but I think what you are talking about is an APPRECIATION of the music, rather than a "nostalgia" for it. I'm not sure it's a literal possibility to feel nostalgic for something one didn't actually experience in the first place, especially if one goes with the dictionary definition of nostalgia as "a sentimental longing or wistful affection for the past, typically for a period or place with happy personal associations".

Sure, I can buy that...

There's definitely something to it, though - as some music business blokes made a bunch of money selling me 50's and 60's records  ;D

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/12/20 at 8:32 pm

Sure, I can buy that...

There's definitely something to it, though - as some music business blokes made a bunch of money selling me 50's and 60's records  ;D

There IS something to it. It was damn good music.  :D

Written By: Zelek3 on 04/12/20 at 8:38 pm

It will only intensify with this pandemic we're in. When times are rough/conflicted, nostalgia for a previous time intensifies.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/12/20 at 8:52 pm

It will only intensify with this pandemic we're in. When times are rough/conflicted, nostalgia for a previous time intensifies.

Interesting point, but that could go either way. People may cocoon into nostalgia or it may go a 1960s way. Post JFK assassination and into the rough and conflicted Vietnam era people churned up the most artistically innovative decade of the 20th century. Because of and in spite of the JFK assassination and the Vietnam War.  Movies and music went through the roof with originality and innovation. That's what I'm HOPING will happen with the current situation but it may simply be that the world has changed too much and isn't really set up for that to happen in such a way anymore.

I might add that you point out that people have nostalgia for previous times if times are rough, because presumably the "previous times" weren't as rough. But what are these mythical previous times that weren't rough and conflicted? We've all seen what it's like to have leaders or whoever who want to take us back to that non-existent un-conflicted white-bread 1950s, for example. So essentially it's a false nostalgia for a no-time that never really was.

Written By: Howard on 04/13/20 at 4:18 am

I think if you played a record back then on a slower speed it would sound more like more like a soul singer.

Written By: Howard on 04/13/20 at 4:22 am

I do remember those cigarette vending machines.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/HsgAAOSwe0tckQXc/s-l400.jpg

Written By: Howard on 04/13/20 at 4:23 am

There was one time I had a black eye and we got candy cigarettes (remember them?) so I could pose like those Tarryton ads. Yeah, it was a bad pic but I didn't take it.  ;D ;D

Cat

I used to smoke those candy cigarettes and pretended I was cool.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/13/20 at 2:19 pm

I think of music from the '50s & '60s were MY music because my older sibs were ALWAYS playing it. One sister LOVED the songs from the '50s. She used to listen to the oldies station all the time. The funny thing is, when I was in my 20s and listened to an oldies station, they were playing the songs that were on the contemporary stations when Sis was listening to her oldies. Man did I feel old.  :D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/13/20 at 2:27 pm

I think of music from the '50s & '60s were MY music because my older sibs were ALWAYS playing it. One sister LOVED the songs from the '50s. She used to listen to the oldies station all the time. The funny thing is, when I was in my 20s and listened to an oldies station, they were playing the songs that were on the contemporary stations when Sis was listening to her oldies. Man did I feel old.  :D ;D ;D

Cat
You are sounding just like me, my older sister back in the late 60s and the early 70s would bring records into our home, play them a bit loud and I  would hear them and grew to like them, which included The Beatles and Rolling Stones. My love of 50s music (and classical) came from my parents.

The influence of music from the Philippines enhanced my admiration for 1950s music and songs, they just cannot let them go.

I still love the old songs, and struggle to find a good radio station to listen to so that memories can be rekindled.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/13/20 at 2:32 pm

I used to smoke those candy cigarettes and pretended I was cool.

Did you eat them after you pretended to smoke them?

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/13/20 at 2:35 pm

I think it was a tradition to?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/13/20 at 2:43 pm

I think it was a tradition to?

There were also these little tiny wax bottles that came in a little tiny six pack with a very sweet syrup-y liquid in them. I liked these as a kid but thinking of it now that liquid was terrible. 8-P  The wax was edible as well.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/13/20 at 2:58 pm

There were also these little tiny wax bottles that came in a little tiny six pack with a very sweet syrup-y liquid in them. I liked these as a kid but thinking of it now that liquid was terrible. 8-P  The wax was edible as well.
I thankfully do not recall anything like that, dried milk bottles yes, but had no syrup inside.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/13/20 at 3:25 pm

I thankfully do not recall anything like that, dried milk bottles yes, but had no syrup inside.

Maybe it was a US thing. There were a whole line of these edible wax candy products. They were shaped like big red lips, black mustaches, big teeth...the wax was very sweet tasting, it must have had a lot of sugar added. Like I say, it was edible, but barely.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/13/20 at 3:32 pm

Maybe it was a US thing. There were a whole line of these edible wax candy products. They were shaped like big red lips, black mustaches, big teeth...the wax was very sweet tasting, it must have had a lot of sugar added. Like I say, it was edible, but barely.
Lips, mustaches, seems to ring a bell, were they made from licorice?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/13/20 at 3:44 pm

I think they may be different liquid than it used to be. I also liked them as a kid but now... 8-P  But, I think now they are made with high fructose corn syrup and back then it was made with sugar. It makes things taste so much different.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/13/20 at 3:45 pm

I think they may be different liquid than it used to be. I also liked them as a kid but now... 8-P  But, I think now they are made with high fructose corn syrup and back then it was made with sugar. It makes things taste so much different.

Cat
All sweets full of e-numbers and colourings?

Written By: AmericanGirl on 04/13/20 at 3:45 pm

Cat

Therein may lie the difference.  Whereas you grew up with older siblings, in my household my oldest sibling was only one year older, so basically like me.  And my parents only liked music that predated the rock & roll era.  So no one in my household consumed 50's or 60's rock & roll music - not until I started collecting 60's Motown records in the very late 70's.  (The story of which has already been told on this forum.)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/13/20 at 5:30 pm

Therein may lie the difference.  Whereas you grew up with older siblings, in my household my oldest sibling was only one year older, so basically like me.  And my parents only liked music that predated the rock & roll era.  So no one in my household consumed 50's or 60's rock & roll music - not until I started collecting 60's Motown records in the very late 70's.  (The story of which has already been told on this forum.)

Totally understandable.

I got classical from my dad. Musicals from my mother, 50s & 60s from sibs, demented music from my brother.  :D  Of course 70s & 80s were obvious. Nobody was ever really into country (even though one of my sisters-the same one who was into '50 is now into it now but not when I was living with her). I think the only music that is TOTALLY mine and not influenced by a family member is new age. I think my dad & my brother may have been into it but not when I was living with them.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 04/14/20 at 7:11 am

I think they were chewing gum cigarettes.

Written By: Howard on 04/14/20 at 7:12 am

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0004/8132/9204/products/nik_l_nips_bulk_5_1024x1024.jpg?v=1532392207

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/14/20 at 7:13 am

I think they were chewing gum cigarettes.
The sweet cigarettes I had were not chewing gum, made from of powdered milk based.

Written By: Howard on 04/14/20 at 7:14 am

https://cdn.candynation.com/media/catalog/product/cache/cc72865156500766af3a4ff9131f02d7/c/o/concord_wax_assortment.jpg

Probably people thought they were chewing gum.

Written By: Howard on 04/14/20 at 7:15 am

Lips, mustaches, seems to ring a bell, were they made from licorice?

No, they were made from wax.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/14/20 at 7:16 am

No, they were made from wax.
Edible wax?

Written By: Howard on 04/14/20 at 7:17 am

I used to listen to the oldies stations back then with My Father and our favorite was WCBS-FM here in New York where they played oldies all the time but today they don't even play oldies anymore just time periods during the 70's and 80's and maybe a bit of the 90's too.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/16/20 at 6:44 am

I used to listen to the oldies stations back then with My Father and our favorite was WCBS-FM here in New York where they played oldies all the time but today they don't even play oldies anymore just time periods during the 70's and 80's and maybe a bit of the 90's too.
I find the Golden Oldies radio station just keep to the same play list and the same old song and songs can be heard repeated all the time.

Written By: Howard on 04/16/20 at 7:42 am

The sweet cigarettes I had were not chewing gum, made from of powdered milk based.

I think when you blew out the pretend smoke, it looked like actual smoke you were exhaling.

Written By: Howard on 04/16/20 at 7:42 am

Edible wax?

Wasn't really edible.

Check for new replies or respond here...