inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Annoying comments on YouTube about songs from the 2000s being "classics" etc

Written By: 2000s Nostalgiaist on 04/25/20 at 4:05 am

I'm seeing more and more of these stupid comments on YouTube talking about songs from the mid 2000s and even early 2010s nowadays being referred to in comments as "proper music" and nonsense like "this was from back real music was made". It's so annoying. Are you telling me that garbage like 50 Cent's "Candy Shop" is real music!? Or Soulja Boy? >:( I wonder the age of a lot of YouTube commentators who come out with this nonsense. Don't they realise that every generation says the exact same thing? The general public are stupid. When I started on the internet back in about 2003, I would see similar comments on other websites (pre YouTube) on music videos from the 90s.
In this thread, a 90s song is used as an example of "modern nonsense music" http://www.kissthisguy.com/my-lovers-got-no-money-hes-got-his-trom-misheard-37749.htm the report is from 2004, when the likes of 50 Cent and The Game were popular.
My point is, seeing comments on music from the mid 2000s and even now early 2010s as a "different era" and somehow more "proper" than current pop music (hint: anything you hear on the radio at the time is garbage, just popular garbage) is ludicrous.

Subject: Re: Annoying comments on YouTube about songs from the 2000s being "classics" etc

Written By: Zelek3 on 04/25/20 at 4:14 am

That's the way it is. I remember when Electropop Era (2008-2013) era music was new, YouTube comments at the time tore it apart into a million pieces and said "I only listen to REAL music like Queen, not Justine Gayber". But now you've got people saying 2008-2013 was the "golden age of pop" or "So glad I grew up with Kesha and not Cardi B".

Subject: Re: Annoying comments on YouTube about songs from the 2000s being "classics" etc

Written By: 2000s Nostalgiaist on 04/25/20 at 6:18 am

That's the way it is. I remember when Electropop Era (2008-2013) era music was new, YouTube comments at the time tore it apart into a million pieces and said "I only listen to REAL music like Queen, not Justine Gayber". But now you've got people saying 2008-2013 was the "golden age of pop" or "So glad I grew up with Kesha and not Cardi B".

Yeah, it's annoying as hell. They literally don't realise it's just what is current at the time. It's like "I'll take that garbage bag over there over this garbage bag over here". And "I'm so glad I've got this garbage bag over here". It's just nonsense, so much nonsense. There is no discernible difference for me between a pop song from 2006 and a pop song from now. It's a different era, sure, but it's still just music made for the masses without much meaning.

Written By: suoerflykid2008 on 05/26/20 at 7:10 am

You I sound bitter, OP. I’m 30 and stuff from 2005 is old enough to be considered a classic. I was still a 15 year old freshmen then and the difference between being 15 and 30 feels like a long time ago 🤷🏽‍♂️ I’m at the point now where the 00s is nostalgic to me and in my head my childhood years and teen years have more in common with each other than with my life now at my current age of 30

Written By: shadowcookie on 05/26/20 at 9:19 am

You I sound bitter, OP. I’m 30 and stuff from 2005 is old enough to be considered a classic. I was still a 15 year old freshmen then and the difference between being 15 and 30 feels like a long time ago 🤷🏽‍♂️ I’m at the point now where the 00s is nostalgic to me and in my head my childhood years and teen years have more in common with each other than with my life now at my current age of 30

I’m 25 and I agree, being 15 feels forever ago now because my life has changed so much since. It’s why I’m always surprised when I see people even younger than me saying 2008/2009 feel like yesterday to them.

Written By: Sman12 on 05/26/20 at 10:00 am

This happens with every generation. 25 years from now, young people will call rappers like Lil Pump and 6ix9ine nostalgic. I can already see it happening with artists like Vanilla Ice or the aforementioned Soulja Boy, and their comment sections are filled with "le wrong generation" bait.  ;D

Written By: Dundee on 05/26/20 at 11:29 am

Yeah, it's annoying as hell. They literally don't realise it's just what is current at the time. It's like "I'll take that garbage bag over there over this garbage bag over here". And "I'm so glad I've got this garbage bag over here". It's just nonsense, so much nonsense. There is no discernible difference for me between a pop song from 2006 and a pop song from now. It's a different era, sure, but it's still just music made for the masses without much meaning.
It's always been like this tho. Just because the garbage has been made before 2000 it's still garbage. Garbage is garbage as you say.
If people like a certain type of garbage from a certain era, let them like that garbage ::)

Written By: suoerflykid2008 on 05/26/20 at 1:35 pm

It's always been like this tho. Just because the garbage has been made before 2000 it's still garbage. Garbage is garbage as you say.
If people like a certain type of garbage from a certain era, let them like that garbage ::)

Yeah, OP
https://i.imgflip.com/2qx83y.jpg

Written By: Howard on 05/26/20 at 2:02 pm

This happens with every generation. 25 years from now, young people will call rappers like Lil Pump and 6ix9ine nostalgic. I can already see it happening with artists like Vanilla Ice or the aforementioned Soulja Boy, and their comment sections are filled with "le wrong generation" bait.  ;D

or Lady Gaga and Billie Eilish nostalgic.

Written By: wagonman76 on 05/26/20 at 2:28 pm

Yes the same every generation. To me anything in the last 15 years sounds the same. I’m not calling it garbage, just not my thing.

Me liking stuff from the 80s is no different from my grandparents liking stuff from the 50s when I was a kid. Makes me feel old haha.

Written By: suoerflykid2008 on 05/26/20 at 2:30 pm

Yes the same every generation. To me anything in the last 15 years sounds the same. I’m not calling it garbage, just not my thing.

Me liking stuff from the 80s is no different from my grandparents liking stuff from the 50s when I was a kid. Makes me feel old haha.

Yeah dude, you’re just getting old. Popular music has changed a lot over the past 15 years.

Written By: wagonman76 on 05/26/20 at 2:34 pm

Yeah dude, you’re just getting old. Popular music has changed a lot over the past 15 years.

But I am hearing some things today that really sound 80s ish. The most I’ve enjoyed listening to current radio in a long time.

Written By: DisneysRetro on 05/26/20 at 8:04 pm

In every decade there is sheeshty music. I remember my mother and my aunts making fun of Vanilla Ice and Haddaway’s music in the 90’s during the early 2000’s. Every decade also releases classics. For an example you can’t tell me Adele’s 2015 hit “Hello” won’t be looked at as a classic in 20 years the same way Celine dion’s “My heart will go on” is now considered a classic today. Songs that made music history in the 2000’s/ 2010’s are now considered classics because we can look back on them and remember how they changed future music. It may be a new version of classic then what a lot of us are used to, but then that goes into the subject of what embodies a classic hit to begin with. In the 2000’s we had rap albums like College drop out by Kanye West which is now considered a classic album, we had Missy Elliott’s Under construction, Aaliyah’s final junior album, Mariah Carey Emancipation of mimi, Gwen Stefani’s Love Angel Music Baby, Usher’s Confessions, Alicia Keys Diary of Alicia Keys and Songs in a Minor, Sum 41’s All Killer no Filler, Ashanti’s self titled album, etc. Point is a lot of music that reminds us of happier times in our lives for a particular generation will always be glorified as classics to them and their predecessors.

Written By: Howard on 05/27/20 at 4:47 am

We all are getting old, I'm getting close to 50 years of age! :o

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/27/20 at 4:49 am

We all are getting old, I'm getting close to 50 years of age! :o
...where does that put me?

Written By: shrinkingviolet on 05/31/20 at 7:20 pm

In every decade there is sheeshty music. I remember my mother and my aunts making fun of Vanilla Ice and Haddaway’s music in the 90’s during the early 2000’s. Every decade also releases classics. For an example you can’t tell me Adele’s 2015 hit “Hello” won’t be looked at as a classic in 20 years the same way Celine dion’s “My heart will go on” is now considered a classic today. Songs that made music history in the 2000’s/ 2010’s are now considered classics because we can look back on them and remember how they changed future music. It may be a new version of classic then what a lot of us are used to, but then that goes into the subject of what embodies a classic hit to begin with. In the 2000’s we had rap albums like College drop out by Kanye West which is now considered a classic album, we had Missy Elliott’s Under construction, Aaliyah’s final junior album, Mariah Carey Emancipation of mimi, Gwen Stefani’s Love Angel Music Baby, Usher’s Confessions, Alicia Keys Diary of Alicia Keys and Songs in a Minor, Sum 41’s All Killer no Filler, Ashanti’s self titled album, etc. Point is a lot of music that reminds us of happier times in our lives for a particular generation will always be glorified as classics to them and their predecessors.
I know a lot of people despised The Spice Girls, Britney Spears, Barbie Girl, and the Macarena

Written By: DisneysRetro on 06/01/20 at 2:30 am

I know a lot of people despised The Spice Girls, Britney Spears, Barbie Girl, and the Macarena

Yeah I remember My older cousins who are like 10-12 years older than me making fun of all of the teen pop boy bands back in that time. And don’t even get me started on 2009 Justin Bieber haha.

Written By: Sman12 on 06/01/20 at 10:04 am

Yeah I remember My older cousins who are like 10-12 years older than me making fun of all of the teen pop boy bands back in that time. And don’t even get me started on 2009 Justin Bieber haha.

I was part of the Bieber hate wave back in 2010 lol.

I still hate his music, but I believe back in that time, he was over-hated. That's probably the first celebrity I've seen that had that much hatred.

https://i.ibb.co/LgDHhTQ/d36466y-4872ad72-a919-4089-96e2-556ddd46ee53.png

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/01/20 at 10:23 am

I still hate his music, but I believe back in that time, he was over-hated. That's probably the first celebrity I've seen that had that much hatred.

Remember this from 2014, from the Olympic men's hockey semifinal showdown between the U.S. and Canada.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bg7rWeJCAAAjdRt?format=jpg&name=small

Written By: DisneysRetro on 06/01/20 at 1:11 pm

I agree, I think the hate thickened his skin because now his attitude can be kind of dickish. I was apart of the hate too. I was 13-14 at the time. I thought he was corny.

Check for new replies or respond here...