inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Let's talk about Spider-Man (2002)

Written By: Videl Satan on 05/05/20 at 6:41 pm

I remember that excitement I would get as a 7-year-old boy when I would go into a Toys "R" Us and saw an entire toy section filled with toys and action figures based off the very first Spider-Man movie in 2002.  My parents took me there shortly after I saw them movie in theaters:

https://i.redd.it/d7u0xlhycxv41.jpg
https://gofigureactionfigures.com/media/greengoblin(movie).jpg

I saw Spider-Man (2002) twice in theaters. It had a massive impact on pop culture in 2002...an impact that has yet to be replicated by any Spider-Man movie that has been released since then because it basically started the Marvel superhero movie craze and proved that a live-action movie based around a superhero besides Batman and Superman could be really successful at the box office.  Yes, I know X-Men (2000) came out first in 2000...but it wasn't a major blockbuster like Sam Raimi's Spider-Man movie was back in 2002.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BY2RlMDMwMTAtMzYxZC00MjZmLWIzZTMtYzBhOGNiZTcyMDU5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjQ4ODE4MzQ@._V1_.jpg

Subject: Re: Let's talk about Spider-Man (2002)

Written By: nally on 05/05/20 at 11:32 pm

I saw the movie in the theater when it was new too. Only I was in my early twenties at the time. Good acting, good direction, all around.

Didn't really pay any attention to the action figures...but in looking at the pictures posted on here, I see how the head of the Green Goblin/Norman Osborn figurine very closely resembles Willem Dafoe, who played him.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/06/20 at 2:20 am

It was on this day in 2002, that "Spider-Man" became the first movie to make more than $100 million in its first weekend.

Written By: DisneysRetro on 05/06/20 at 4:56 pm

I saw this in theaters for my cousins 6th birthday haha. I remember being so sad when the grandpa was shot... I had the poster in my room in 2003 and I remember all the spider-man merchandise/toys around this time too. I miss this era in movies a lot.

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/06/20 at 5:56 pm

I remember going to see this when it was opening weekend for Star Wars: Attack of the Clones, but the theater was still packed for Spider-Man. I remember some people sitting on the steps. If I'm not mistaken, this is the only movie to have beaten a Star Wars movie (main episode) as the top grossing film of the year.

Written By: duenas8 on 05/11/20 at 6:42 pm

When I rewatch it now, I realize how much ahead of its time it was, it’s like watching a current superhero film, but setting in the early 00s. I think that was the first superhero movie to have modern VFX with stunning sequences around the buildings, it’s savage to watch it even 20 years later.

Spider-Man 2002 paved the way for the 2000’s and 10’s superheroes movies. It’s one of first films with modern visual effects

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 05/11/20 at 7:05 pm

This is my post on another thread titled Which was your favorite Spider-Man series? (in the 2010s section):

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=61519.0

I grew up with the Sam Raimi trilogy with Tobey Maguire as Peter Parker/Spiderman, so I have a soft spot for that trilogy. Not to mention being a kid from New York City, no less. The new MCU series is pretty good though. I love Tom Holland's portrayal of Peter Parker (depending on my mood, I either prefer his Peter Parker or Tobey's, because they're both very good). My only gripe with the new Spiderman movies is a main complaint that I have with a lot of 'phase 3' era MCU films, in that because of the wide and interconnected universe that ties these films now, there sometimes is a lot of forced fan service from other properties. The Spiderman films in the MCU era notwithstanding to this trend.

I liked Homecoming, but I felt like the film would've benefited greatly with more character attachment if there was another 'origin story' of sorts. I understand that if they went down this route, it would've been the third time in less than 20 years that we would have had an 'origin story', but I feel like there easily could've been a way to cultivate a more effective way of telling that story without getting too redundant. In all honesty, there could've been flashbacks to Peter's references to Uncle Ben in Homecoming and other original character motivations, so that we would have more empathy with the Peter Parker character in the movie and the finale with his fight against Vulture would've felt much more heart pounding and would had much more weight. That is an area where Far From Home improved greatly from Homecoming, and it's why I greatly prefer its sequel than to the first film.

However, even with the improvements made with Far From Home, you still don't really get to see too much of the 'web work' and interconnection with Spiderman's spiderlike powers as much as you would've expected. Ironically, that was a component of the story that the 'Amazing' series did just as well as the Raimi series in. In both the Raimi and 'Amazing' series of movies, you genuinely get the sense that Peter was bitten by a radioactive spider. However in the MCU series, unlike in previous installments it is never really made explicitly so. For kids growing up with these films, the connection to this version of Spiderman is less of an empathetic one to his genuinely sh*tty situation, based on the hard knock life of a dorky turned heroic teenager fighting crime with his strange spiderlike powers, with the troubles of being an adolescent and a young adult that go along with it. Instead, it's more of just an extension of the MCU brand, in which you cant delve too deep into Spiderman, risking the importance of other interconnected characters in the universe.

It's because of that as to why, if I had to choose, I'd probably opt for the Sam Raimi trilogy, or in particular Spiderman and Spiderman 2 (3 can take a hike). I rewatched those two recently, and I have to say that they're still very great films. In fact, I appreciate the cinematography, the acting, the musical score, and plot themes a lot more now as an adult than how I could've appreciated it as a kid. Spiderman 2 especially hit me hard, I'm an adult now just like Peter Parker in the movie, relating to the life of balancing out so many responsibilities and at times still falling short, that is something that I and many other young adults could easily relate to. There just seems to be more passion in the originals and a sense of rawness that the MCU Spiderman films (understandably) would probably never be able to truly replicate and innovate with. But Far From Home is my favorite Spiderman film since Spiderman 2, which says a lot, because they do show the aspect of Peter trying to balance so many of his responsibilities as a student, his love interest for MJ, and his responsibility as being Spiderman. I haven't seen Into the Spider-Verse yet, but I've heard nothing but good things from that flick, so one of these days I'm going to have to check that one out as well.

But for me, as things currently stand, it's Tobey Maguire all the way 8).

The answer speaks for itself. Loved Spiderman (2002) back in the day. It was actually one of the first DVDs that I ever personally owned:

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/odQAAOSwwzhZRTdq/s-l300.jpg

The film was hyped to the maximum back in the day! Growing up in the Tri-State area during this time was truly epic 8).

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 05/11/20 at 7:11 pm

Also,

I just stumbled upon this near 20 year old gem:

tN-4lawwC0Q

It's awesome how this has been preserved!

Written By: Wink-182 on 05/11/20 at 7:25 pm

One of my fonder memories of my younger childhood is playing the video game in the Dentist Office and being amazed at how the cars on the road were actually moving beneath me while I swung from building to building.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 05/11/20 at 7:29 pm

One of my fonder memories of my younger childhood is playing the video game in the Dentist Office and being amazed at how the cars on the road were actually moving beneath me while I swung from building to building.

Is this the game that you're referring to?

FjhW1Je63r8

Written By: Wink-182 on 05/11/20 at 7:31 pm

Is this the game that you're referring to?

FjhW1Je63r8

Yes, it is  :)

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 05/11/20 at 7:53 pm

Yes, it is  :)

Awesome :). I had this on PS2 back in the day!

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/12/20 at 6:51 am

I remember that excitement I would get as a 7-year-old boy when I would go into a Toys "R" Us and saw an entire toy section filled with toys and action figures based off the very first Spider-Man movie in 2002.  My parents took me there shortly after I saw them movie in theaters:

I saw Spider-Man (2002) twice in theaters. It had a massive impact on pop culture in 2002...an impact that has yet to be replicated by any Spider-Man movie that has been released since then because it basically started the Marvel superhero movie craze and proved that a live-action movie based around a superhero besides Batman and Superman could be really successful at the box office.  Yes, I know X-Men (2000) came out first in 2000...but it wasn't a major blockbuster like Sam Raimi's Spider-Man movie was back in 2002.

Has anyone here seen "Spider-Man" from 1977 starring Nicholas Hammond?

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=61137.msg3892142#msg3892142

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 05/17/20 at 10:28 pm

Has anyone here seen "Spider-Man" from 1977 starring Nicholas Hammond?

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=61137.msg3892142#msg3892142

You referring to this?

gjgaf1sNz8E

I actually have seen a few episodes of this series, out of curiosity. It has a VERY Late 1970s vibe to it, but a good Late 1970s vibe :). Truly a very underrated interpretation of Spiderman.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/18/20 at 2:57 am

You referring to this?

gjgaf1sNz8E

I actually have seen a few episodes of this series, out of curiosity. It has a VERY Late 1970s vibe to it, but a good Late 1970s vibe :). Truly a very underrated interpretation of Spiderman.
Yes, I only saw this as a feature film shown in a cinema back in 1977. I had not realised it was a made-for-TV film or there was a television series for it, for back then I had no television of my own, television viewing was limited for me.
It should be noted the Nicholas Hammond (who was Spider Man for this film) also played Friedrich von Trapp (the elder of the two boys) in "The Sound of Music" (1965). 

Written By: 90skid93 on 06/26/22 at 4:49 am

I saw the movie in theaters when i was 8 i had all the toys and had the movie on VHS as a kid. Tobey was and still is the best Spider-Man.

Check for new replies or respond here...