inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Whatever happened to 3 liter soda bottles?

Written By: Wink-182 on 05/11/20 at 3:11 pm

I'm going to put this here, because this decade was the last time I think they were common.  I don't think I've ever seen one after the year 2010, or at least just in my area.

Subject: Re: Whatever happened to 3 liter soda bottles?

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/11/20 at 3:41 pm

Too heavy to carry?

Too much sugar to drink?

2lt bottles are cheaper?

Written By: wagonman76 on 05/11/20 at 4:16 pm

I still see them in the dollar store but I agree not as common as they used to be.

Written By: Howard on 05/12/20 at 7:04 am

I still see them in the dollar store but I agree not as common as they used to be.

Wagon, I don't see them as much as I used to see them, people used to buy them for their barbecues and gatherings a lot.

https://i.redd.it/y4390qo3p4z31.jpg

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/12/20 at 9:03 am

I'm going to put this here, because this decade was the last time I think they were common.  I don't think I've ever seen one after the year 2010, or at least just in my area.

Never bought those.  Unwieldy monsters.  :P

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/12/20 at 9:11 am

And did you ever notice the strange phenomenon that two liter bottles are often the same price or cheaper than one liter?

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/12/20 at 9:28 am

And did you ever notice the strange phenomenon that two liter bottles are often the same price or cheaper than one liter?
...probably watered down?

Written By: wagonman76 on 05/12/20 at 11:00 am

...probably watered down?

Nope. You’re paying for convenience and probably refrigeration. 2 liters are warm on the shelf. And a little bit of packaging. You can save a lot of money by putting 2 liters in your own fridge and refilling small bottles, or an insulated bottle or cooler if you’re taking it with you. My dad has always done that.

I don’t see many 1 liter bottles anymore. They called them a big slam and they had a wide mouth. 20 oz is the typical convenience size which cost about 1.79, the same or more than the equivalent 2 liter. Now they’re making a 16 oz bottle but I don’t know how much that one is. You also have much more choices in the small bottles.

If I want soda I stick with Faygo. Michigan brand and it’s half the price of the big names. The convenience size is a bigger 24 oz at 99c. Of course the warm 2 liter is 99c as well. I think moon mist tastes better than mt dew or mello yello anyway.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/12/20 at 11:02 am

Nope. You’re paying for convenience and probably refrigeration. 2 liters are warm on the shelf. And a little bit of packaging.

I don’t see many 1 liter bottles anymore. They called them a big slam and they had a wide mouth. 20 oz is the typical convenience size which cost about 1.79, the same or more than the equivalent 2 liter. Now they’re making a 16 oz bottle but I don’t know how much that one is. You also have much more choices in the small bottles.

If I want soda I stick with Faygo. Michigan brand and it’s half the price of the big names. The convenience size is a bigger 24 oz at 99c. Of course the warm 2 liter is 99c as well. I think moon mist tastes better than mt dew or mello yello anyway.

Faygo makes me think of Insane Clown Posse. Isn't that a big part of their mythos?  ;D

Written By: wagonman76 on 05/12/20 at 11:08 am

Faygo makes me think of Insane Clown Posse. Isn't that a big part of their mythos?  ;D

Never been an ICP fan so had to look it up.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thrillist.com/amphtml/drink/nation/best-faygo-flavors-ranked-juggalos

Moon mist is #1 in their book too! Same with the root beer and rock and rye. All my top flavors.

Written By: Howard on 05/12/20 at 1:44 pm

I don't know why would anyone want 3 liters of soda, I mean where do you store them if there's not enough room in the refrigerator?

Written By: Wink-182 on 05/12/20 at 2:12 pm

I don't know why would anyone want 3 liters of soda, I mean where do you store them if there's not enough room in the refrigerator?

I guess it's really a American thing when you think about it haha, land of sugar and fat.

Written By: shadowcookie on 05/12/20 at 3:12 pm

I don’t remember that being a thing in the UK. 2 litres is all I ever remember.

But the size of other stuff has definitely shrunk. Chocolate bars are smaller, for example. It’s called shrinkflation - basically as production costs rise, many manufacturers will choose to shrink their products instead of increasing the price. I guess they think consumers value price over quantity.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/12/20 at 3:28 pm

I don’t remember that being a thing in the UK. 2 litres is all I ever remember.

But the size of other stuff has definitely shrunk. Chocolate bars are smaller, for example. It’s called shrinkflation - basically as production costs rise, many manufacturers will choose to shrink their products instead of increasing the price. I guess they think consumers value price over quantity.

"Shrinkflation" has been going on for some time. One of the main places I have noticed it is shaving cream. One can used to last forever, now it seems I'm buying it all the time. It's definitely part of this thing where corporations are out to screw the consumer. And not only are they out to screw the consumer, they do it GLEEFULLY.  They ENJOY it. They're PROUD of it. That all started in the 80s when Reagan legitimized greed, but it has gotten far, far worse since.

Written By: wagonman76 on 05/12/20 at 7:20 pm

"Shrinkflation" has been going on for some time. One of the main places I have noticed it is shaving cream. One can used to last forever, now it seems I'm buying it all the time. It's definitely part of this thing where corporations are out to screw the consumer. And not only are they out to screw the consumer, they do it GLEEFULLY.  They ENJOY it. They're PROUD of it. That all started in the 80s when Reagan legitimized greed, but it has gotten far, far worse since.

Yes reducing size and often still increasing the price. I first noticed it on the cheese and crackers snacks. The cheese container used to be full then they stopped filling it all the way.

But while they might still have 3 liter drinks, they’re doing it with drinks too. Like the 16 oz bottles. And they persuade you to buy the overpriced smaller bottles by offering many more choices. Only the basic flavors come in a 2 liter.

I personally would rather handle one larger container than a whole bunch of smaller ones.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/12/20 at 8:21 pm

Yes reducing size and often still increasing the price. I first noticed it on the cheese and crackers snacks. The cheese container used to be full then they stopped filling it all the way.

But while they might still have 3 liter drinks, they’re doing it with drinks too. Like the 16 oz bottles. And they persuade you to buy the overpriced smaller bottles by offering many more choices. Only the basic flavors come in a 2 liter.

I personally would rather handle one larger container than a whole bunch of smaller ones.

And some manufactures of products like orange juice and other beverages are now designing their bottles with a concave bottom so they contain less but look like they are full.

Written By: 2001 on 05/12/20 at 10:18 pm

And some manufactures of products like orange juice and other beverages are now designing their bottles with a concave bottom so they contain less but look like they are full.

I recently bought a JUMBO-sized bag of Lays from Costco and when I opened it it was only half full  >:(

Written By: wagonman76 on 05/12/20 at 11:09 pm

I recently bought a JUMBO-sized bag of Lays from Costco and when I opened it it was only half full  >:(

I remember the first time I saw a commercial for Hershey’s Kisses Air Delight. Right away I’m like yep air costs less than chocolate.

Written By: 2001 on 05/14/20 at 12:13 am

I remember the first time I saw a commercial for Hershey’s Kisses Air Delight. Right away I’m like yep air costs less than chocolate.

This is my first time hearing about that. I guess that means you guys don't have Aero chocolate bars down there? :o

Written By: shadowcookie on 05/14/20 at 7:51 am

This is my first time hearing about that. I guess that means you guys don't have Aero chocolate bars down there? :o

Aero bars are the bomb.

Written By: Howard on 05/14/20 at 7:59 am

I guess it's really a American thing when you think about it haha, land of sugar and fat.

Just about everything food and snacks are supersized, no wonder this country is fat.

Written By: Howard on 05/14/20 at 8:00 am

What flavor was it?

Written By: wagonman76 on 05/14/20 at 10:11 am

Never heard of aero bars.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/14/20 at 10:20 am

Never heard of aero bars.

https://i5.walmartimages.ca/images/Enlarge/094/115/999999-59800094115.jpg

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/14/20 at 10:36 am

There's also Yoplait whipped yogurt, which is just air. These corporations have found a way to sell us AIR. And don't be fooled by men's "slim fit" shirts and clothing in department stores and online. These are not designed to be "slim fit", whatever the hell that is. This is another ruse. It's so they can use less material and charge the same (or more) money.

Written By: Wink-182 on 05/14/20 at 12:21 pm

Canada gets more of the British stuff snack wise compared to the US.

Written By: Howard on 05/14/20 at 2:53 pm

Those are good for a snack.

Written By: Howard on 05/14/20 at 2:55 pm

There's also Yoplait whipped yogurt, which is just air. These corporations have found a way to sell us AIR. And don't be fooled by men's "slim fit" shirts and clothing in department stores and online. These are not designed to be "slim fit", whatever the hell that is. This is another ruse. It's so they can use less material and charge the same (or more) money.

Would it be the same as eating Pop Chips too?

Written By: 2001 on 05/14/20 at 6:18 pm

You know that's Canadian packaging when you see the French ;D

Written By: fusefan on 05/15/20 at 12:05 am

Last I remember seeing 3 liter bottles of Fargo Moon Mist at Dollar Tree was in 2009 maybe 2010?  ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/15/20 at 2:00 am

You know that's Canadian packaging when you see the French ;D
I knew that you would recognise it.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 05/15/20 at 7:32 am

Last I remember seeing 3 liter bottles of Fargo Moon Mist at Dollar Tree was in 2009 maybe 2010?  ???

How much did they cost?

Written By: Howard on 05/15/20 at 7:35 am

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/c_fill,f_auto,fl_progressive,g_center,h_675,pg_1,q_80,w_1200/zwwbhwydxoznfgwvxwms.jpg

How about 30 liters of soda?  :o

Written By: wagonman76 on 05/15/20 at 9:17 am

How much did they cost?

Everything is a dollar at dollar tree. Well here all food is a dollar because it is untaxed. Every else is 1.06.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/22/20 at 4:31 pm

I didn't even know they existed. It must have only been an American thing.

Written By: Dundee on 05/22/20 at 6:07 pm

Who the hell would buy this anyway

Wouldn't all that soda go stale after some time?

Written By: karen on 05/23/20 at 10:00 am

Seeing the way some people drink soda I bet it wouldn’t last long for some people.

Written By: wagonman76 on 05/23/20 at 11:35 am

Fill smaller bottles and save a lot of money vs buying the smaller bottles. Or use it for a party.

Written By: Howard on 05/23/20 at 3:06 pm

I didn't even know they existed. It must have only been an American thing.

It was an American thing, most likely they sold 3 liters for barbecues and stuff.

Written By: 2001 on 05/23/20 at 5:13 pm

Seeing the way some people drink soda I bet it wouldn’t last long for some people.

Was about to say that. My dad gets through those 24 cans of pop that come in a box in what seems like every 2-3 weeks.

Written By: Dundee on 05/23/20 at 7:29 pm

Fill smaller bottles and save a lot of money vs buying the smaller bottles. Or use it for a party.
That sounds very impractical, plus you have to have small bottles from the get-go anyway.

Written By: wagonman76 on 05/23/20 at 11:03 pm

That sounds very impractical, plus you have to have small bottles from the get-go anyway.

My dad has done that for the last 30 years or more. If not 3 liters then 2 liters. He’s on the road a lot. Sometimes he buys small bottles to replace what he has but usually just washes the ones he has. He also has those refillable insulated bottles for water or coffee or whatever.

Written By: shadowcookie on 05/24/20 at 8:15 am

Was about to say that. My dad gets through those 24 cans of pop that come in a box in what seems like every 2-3 weeks.

That used to be me. I would go through a 1-litre bottle of Fanta every other day.

Nowadays I don’t drink pop at all, except the occasional JD and coke.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/24/20 at 8:43 am

That used to be me. I would go through a 1-litre bottle of Fanta every other day.

Nowadays I don’t drink pop at all, except the occasional JD and coke.

I had a college buddy who would slug down a 2-liter bottle of Fresca in one sitting.  :o

Written By: karen on 05/24/20 at 9:58 am

I spent a happy half hour yesterday scrolling back through past posts to see if I had mentioned a particular example to illustrate this that prompted my post.  I hadn’t actually posted about it but I enjoyed looking for it.

In 2008 we went to South Dakota for a holiday. One day we went to an all you can eat buffet. You had to buy your drinks cups, but they offered free refills. To us it made sense to buy the smallest cups for like a dollar each. A family near us bought the biggest cups. No idea how much they held, but they were huge cups and everyone in this family drank at least three of these. We had maybe two refills each in cups about a third the size of theirs.

Written By: Howard on 05/24/20 at 4:09 pm

I had a college buddy who would slug down a 2-liter bottle of Fresca in one sitting.  :o

Wow, that must've been a lot of belching!  ;D

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/24/20 at 5:15 pm

Wow, that must've been a lot of belching!  ;D

He once chugged a bottle of Lavoris cinnamon mouthwash on a dare too.  8-P

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/24/20 at 6:24 pm

Did he get drunk from it? A lot of mouthwash has a very high alcohol content. Some serious alcoholics as well as homeless people with substance abuse problems will drink Listerine for the alcohol content when they have no access to booze. Not so much because it gets them drunk, but the alcohol content holds back the shakes or the DTs.

Written By: Howard on 05/25/20 at 3:57 am

Wow, He must've had some really fresh breath. :o

Written By: Howard on 05/25/20 at 3:58 am

Did he get drunk from it? A lot of mouthwash has a very high alcohol content. Some serious alcoholics as well as homeless people with substance abuse problems will drink Listerine for the alcohol content when they have no access to booze. Not so much because it gets them drunk, but the alcohol content holds back the shakes or the DTs.

But won't it give you minty fresh breath?

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/25/20 at 9:50 am

Well he puked it out so fast, 8-P I doubt his body had the chance to absorb much of the alcohol.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 05/26/20 at 7:31 am

Well he puked it out so fast, 8-P I doubt his body had the chance to absorb much of the alcohol.  ;D

But it must've given him fresh breath?

Check for new replies or respond here...