inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is fashion really that different to 2008?

Written By: 2000s Nostalgiaist on 05/28/20 at 2:22 pm

This video is a good example of "youth fashion" back when I was in my mid to teens to about my early 20s. Or mid 2000s until early 2010s to go by the time period.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xc0CB6URrV0

Now, the guy is an idiot to dress in such a silly way. But have things changed that much fashion wise, since then? This kind of look wouldn't be out of place on a young man of his age even today. Or am I wrong?

Edit: Fixed link

Subject: Re: Is fashion really that different to 2008?

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/28/20 at 2:25 pm

This video is a good example of "youth fashion" back when I was in my mid to teens to about my early 20s. Or mid 2000s until early 2010s to go by the time period.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xc0CB6URrV0

Now, the guy is an idiot to dress in such a silly way. But have things changed that much fashion wise, since then? This kind of look wouldn't be out of place on a young man of his age even today. Or am I wrong?
How will he be if it suddenly rained?

Written By: DisneysRetro on 05/29/20 at 6:32 pm

Fashion hasn’t changed much since the mid 90’s or so. The fashion trends amongst teenagers are a bit different but for the most part I can easily go in my parents closet, pick out something from 1996 wear it and can fit in with everyone around me without anyone blinking an eye.

Written By: shadowcookie on 05/30/20 at 5:42 am

Not too different, but there are trends now that didn’t exist then.

In general though I agree with the above that the fashion basics really haven’t changed much since the 90s or possibly even earlier. Jeans and a white tee for example have been staple pieces since probably the 70s.

Written By: fusefan on 05/30/20 at 12:39 pm

Fashion hasn’t changed much since the mid 90’s or so. The fashion trends amongst teenagers are a bit different but for the most part I can easily go in my parents closet, pick out something from 1996 wear it and can fit in with everyone around me without anyone blinking an eye.

Probably because of the 90s revival.

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 05/30/20 at 2:24 pm

I wouldn't be able to weigh in on changes that happened since the '90s, but there are a few glaring trends in clothing that weren't so prevalent in the year 2008, such as plaid - I know plaid has been around for a while, but I'm saying that even so, this same design was popularized with changes in color scheme.

I said I liked Maximalist design before, but that largely had to do with how I wish web pages were still being published (their backgrounds). I wish I could find a simple black-neon striped shirt... That isn't plaid. That's the reason I bring that up in my signature.

Written By: 2001 on 05/30/20 at 2:40 pm

If you took a picture in 2008 and one in 2018 it would be obvious which is which, so yes it is different. No, the cotton gin was not invented in between those two years but it is clearly aesthetically and stylistically different.

Written By: Rainbowz on 05/31/20 at 1:54 pm

I swear people who think fashion wasn't drastically different back in 2008 live under a rock. ;D

Written By: Dundee on 05/31/20 at 2:51 pm

Why is "2000s Nostalgiaist" so compulsively obsessed with dragging down the 2000s is something I'm more wondering about

Written By: shrinkingviolet on 05/31/20 at 7:17 pm

I swear people who think fashion wasn't drastically different back in 2008 live under a rock. ;D
Fashion was hideous in the late 2000s.

Written By: DisneysRetro on 06/01/20 at 2:26 am

Probably because of the 90s revival.

That and I feel like not much has really changed other than the material of certain fabrics like denim. In the 90’s denim was a bit thicker and sturdier. They started adding spandex in denim around the early 2000’s which made them more adjustable and more “modern” appearing.

Written By: Jaydawg89 on 06/01/20 at 8:33 pm

I don't really think everyday fashion has really changed much since about 1994ish. Ever since about then, people have mostly just been dressing up for comfort.

Written By: XYkid on 06/01/20 at 11:11 pm

I still own some clothes from 2008 and I would say a lot of it is pretty dated but I’ve worn it in public and no one seems to notice unless they are someone who is hypersensitive to fashion.

Check for new replies or respond here...