inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: I'm sick of late 90s/early 2000s nostalgia

Written By: piecesof93 on 06/19/20 at 3:11 am

Yeah, I said it.

Nevermind, my avy.

It's becoming overbearing at this point. I've grown annoyed with all the threads about the late 90s/early 2000s across the internet. Tbh I just want the nostalgia be associated with some of the fashion trends that are coming out, other than that I'm over hearing about how great Nelly and Kim Possible were every week. I've been nostalgia for the early 2000s since the late 2000s and now I finally don't want to talk about it anymore. I'm feeling the same some of the 90s kids were feeling when people wouldn't stop yapping about the 90s.

Subject: Re: I'm sick of late 90s/early 2000s nostalgia

Written By: wixness on 06/19/20 at 7:03 am

So am I, but for different reasons and not just this forum. It's led to misconceptions about the 2000s (with someone mislabeling the late 2000s-early 2010s TV series Skins as being from the early 2000s). The whole alternative fashion and pop punk sound I loved from the 2000s didn't exist until like 2004 at the earliest and was more mainstream from 2006, yet it gets lumped in with the early 2000s and the whole Y2K aesthetic even though 1. I don't remember anything that happened before like 2003 and 2. it's incorrect.

I wish people can hurry up and start being nostalgic for the mid and late 2000s soon - I only have just over half a decade left before I reach my thirties and IDK if I want to or should spend my thirties being nostalgic over a time I was 6-13 years old at. If I don't have a proper chance to be nostalgic IDK what the hell will fill my void besides stuff that I just don't really get.

Written By: GuapitoChico on 06/19/20 at 7:04 am

Yeah, I said it.

Nevermind, my avy.

It's becoming overbearing at this point. I've grown annoyed with all the threads about the late 90s/early 2000s across the internet. Tbh I just want the nostalgia be associated with some of the fashion trends that are coming out, other than that I'm over hearing about how great Nelly and Kim Possible were every week. I've been nostalgia for the early 2000s since the late 2000s and now I finally don't want to talk about it anymore. I'm feeling the same some of the 90s kids were feeling when people wouldn't stop yapping about the 90s.

Perhaps it's also the passing of time. 90s nostalgia was a thing in the late 2000s, but it blew up in the early 2000s. Everything is now shifting 10 years later where 2000s nostalgia started in the late 2010s, but is blowing up now in the early 2020s.

Perhaps it's also the places you look. This is a culture & decade forum, so of course it'll be all around, and it will be for other pop culture forums too like Popedia. Of course, we're much more exposed to the decadeology topics due to the kinds of forums. When we were talking very fondly about 2000s nostalgia on the forums in the previous decade, the general population was still just talking about it in passing. Now that we're slowly "moving on" from 2000s nostalgia, the general population is just booming it up now.

Written By: GuapitoChico on 06/19/20 at 7:10 am

So am I, but for different reasons and not just this forum. It's led to misconceptions about the 2000s (with someone mislabeling the late 2000s-early 2010s TV series Skins as being from the early 2000s). The whole alternative fashion and pop punk sound I loved from the 2000s didn't exist until like 2004 at the earliest and was more mainstream from 2006, yet it gets lumped in with the early 2000s and the whole Y2K aesthetic even though 1. I don't remember anything that happened before like 2003 and 2. it's incorrect.

I wish people can hurry up and start being nostalgic for the mid and late 2000s soon - I only have just over half a decade left before I reach my thirties and IDK if I want to or should spend my thirties being nostalgic over a time I was 6-13 years old at. If I don't have a proper chance to be nostalgic IDK what the hell will fill my void besides stuff that I just don't really get.

It might be an issue with terminology too. Some people say "early 2000s" to refer to the entire decade 2000-2009 because "2000s" can refer to the entire millennium.
Regarding pop punk/emo, I'd say pop punk was at its heyday at the Y2K period, but the emo takeover of the genre is a little more mid-late 2000s.

Written By: wixness on 06/19/20 at 7:13 am

It might be an issue with terminology too. Some people say "early 2000s" to refer to the entire decade 2000-2009 because "2000s" can refer to the entire millennium.
God damn it. I wish people would make that clearer because "early 2000s" can technically encompass the whole freaking 2010s and finish only at like the 2050s at the latest. Otherwise I will mostly see them making a reference to what they believe was from 2000-2004.
Regarding pop punk/emo, I'd say pop punk was at its heyday at the Y2K period, but the emo takeover of the genre is a little more mid-late 2000s.
What I'm precisely nostalgic for

Written By: GuapitoChico on 06/19/20 at 8:53 am

What I'm precisely nostalgic for

Actually, even up to 2012. Honestly, emo (as a subculture) was far more underground in the very early 2000s than in the early 2010s. The subculture and its associated genre was at its peak around 2005-2007 with the likes of MCR being at their heyday. It was still popular in 2008-2010 but was at its waning phase. 2011-2012 didn't see new albums and the subculture was on its way out, but was still alive due to residual popularity of songs released in the late 2000s (I mean, let's not forget that when new songs are released, they remain popular for a while.). I'd say that 2013 is the real year that the subculture went underground.

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 06/19/20 at 10:02 am

Actually, even up to 2012. Honestly, emo (as a subculture) was far more underground in the very early 2000s than in the early 2010s. The subculture and its associated genre was at its peak around 2005-2007 with the likes of MCR being at their heyday. It was still popular in 2008-2010 but was at its waning phase. 2011-2012 didn't see new albums and the subculture was on its way out, but was still alive due to residual popularity of songs released in the late 2000s (I mean, let's not forget that when new songs are released, they remain popular for a while.). I'd say that 2013 is the real year that the subculture went underground.

They already know that, and, in fact, they've said at least once that 2013 was the year of disaster for Emohood.

I'm paraphrasing, but they know 2013 is when things changed.

Written By: DisneysRetro on 06/21/20 at 6:09 am

I love the early 2000’s and late 90’s culturally, I was born and raised in this era but I feel like it’s becoming the identity of a lot of pop culture today, just more digitized. I really want to develop a new era for a new decade with it’s own identity. We can’t do that if we are constantly trying to relive the past by reviving the cultural identity of one unique era and modernizing it. We have to create something new and fresh.

Written By: Slashpop on 06/22/20 at 5:59 am

Yeah, I said it.

Nevermind, my avy.

I understand what you saying. I think there are a lot of aspects to be explored though. Sometimes the same topics are brought up, but there may be something related to a lesser discussed trend or something from a different region within the same era as well.

Written By: fusefan on 06/24/20 at 10:46 pm

It’s funny. I remember this era got hated to hell and back, now there’s “too much nostalgia” for this era!  ;D

Written By: Zelek3 on 06/25/20 at 12:38 am

I don't see how there's "too much" late 90s-early 2000s nostalgia. In real life, late 90s-early 2000s nostalgia is far outshined by 80s nostalgia in terms of prevalence/annoyingness, and on the Internet, it's likewise drowned out by Zoomers' late 2000s-early 2010s nostalgia for stuff like Minecraft and Diary of a Wimpy Kid.

If anything, late 90s-early 00s nostalgia is puny/obscure compared to other nostalgia (at least for now).

Check for new replies or respond here...