inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2006 Remembrance Thread

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 07/29/20 at 9:18 pm

2006 is a year I find extremely likable.

If there's already a thread like this, please forgive me, because I didn't know about it. But at the same time, please post any information about the (cultural) atmosphere of 2006 here.

Subject: Re: 2006 Remembrance Thread

Written By: Slim95 on 07/30/20 at 1:18 am

I didn't like it that much, the years before it were better. But whenever I think of 2006 I think of this song because it was always on the radio during that time:

3gOHvDP_vCs

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/30/20 at 11:29 am

I didn't like it that much, the years before it were better. But whenever I think of 2006 I think of this song because it was always on the radio during that time:

3gOHvDP_vCs

It was my least favorite year of the decade. I liked JT's album but the song that comes to mind when I think about 2006 is "You're Beautiful" by James Blunt, mainly because I heard it 50 times a day that year, lol.

Written By: DisneysRetro on 07/30/20 at 3:21 pm

2006 was kind of like the start if something new. I don’t know its hard to explain but a lot of technology and pop culture began to change in 2006. The vibe wasn’t as great as the years before it. 2006/2007 is when a lot of stores like Blockbuster began going downhill, misic stores were going out of business, Toys r us started to decline in sales/mainstream popularity, iPods started gaining more success, etc. But I did like some of the movies and tv shows that were released that year.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/30/20 at 5:56 pm

It was my least favorite year of the decade. I liked JT's album but the song that comes to mind when I think about 2006 is "You're Beautiful" by James Blunt, mainly because I heard it 50 times a day that year, lol.

Oh yeah that song was inescapable too.

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 07/30/20 at 6:26 pm

Remember the cubeworld toys? I think they came out that year.

Written By: doublejm1 on 07/30/20 at 8:56 pm

2006 was inferior to 2005 in my opinion. But there's no question that change was in the air.

When I think of 2006, these songs, artists, movies, social media, and trends come to mind:

- Nelly Furtado
- Timbaland
- Justin Timberlake
- Cassie (Me & U)
- Rihanna (S.O.S.)
- Ne-Yo (Sexy Love)
- T-Pain
- Chris Brown (Gimme That)
- iPods
- Ciara
- Akon
- Shakira/Wyclef (Hips Don't Lie)
- My Chemical Romance (The Black Parade)
- Emo fashion
- Ringtones
- World Cup
- Christina Aguilera
- Borat
- The Fray
- Blood Diamond
- Little Man
- Night at the Museum
- You, Me, and Dupree
- The Departed
- MySpace
- Facebook
- YouTube
- George W. Bush

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/31/20 at 5:39 am

2006 was inferior to 2005 in my opinion. But there's no question that change was in the air.

When I think of 2006, these songs, artists, movies, social media, and trends come to mind:

- Nelly Furtado
- Timbaland
- Justin Timberlake
- Cassie (Me & U)
- Rihanna (S.O.S.)
- Ne-Yo (Sexy Love)
- T-Pain
- Chris Brown (Gimme That)
- iPods
- Ciara
- Akon
- Shakira/Wyclef (Hips Don't Lie)
- My Chemical Romance (The Black Parade)
- Emo fashion
- Ringtones
- World Cup
- Christina Aguilera
- Borat
- The Fray
- Blood Diamond
- Little Man
- Night at the Museum
- You, Me, and Dupree
- The Departed
- MySpace
- Facebook
- YouTube
- George W. Bush

Agreed, and that list is a reminder that 2006 was one of the most culturally lackluster years. Out of that list the only things I liked were Borat, The Daparted, Night at the Museum, Italy 🇮🇹 winning the World Cup, and some of JT' and Nelly Furtado's songs. I would however like to add Superman Returns, V For Vendetta, Talledega Nights, and the release of the Wii and PS3.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/31/20 at 12:11 pm

Agreed, and that list is a reminder that 2006 was one of the most culturally lackluster years. Out of that list the only things I liked were Borat, The Daparted, Night at the Museum, Italy 🇮🇹 winning the World Cup, and some of JT' and Nelly Furtado's songs. I would however like to add Superman Returns, V For Vendetta, Talledega Nights, and the release of the Wii and PS3.

I agree. I never look back at 2006 and think of how great a year it is.

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 02/13/21 at 11:25 pm

I hate 2005, but it's for deeply personal reasons. I like a lot of stuff from 2005, but wouldn't be able to bring myself to like the year as a whole.

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/14/21 at 7:50 am

2006 is a year I find extremely likable.

If there's already a thread like this, please forgive me, because I didn't know about it. But at the same time, please post any information about the (cultural) atmosphere of 2006 here.

I was going to create a new thread next year as 2006 will be the throwback year of 2022, but I'll just add to this one when the time comes. This thread was created barely 6 months ago and I even posted on it, but I still don't remember it. That's how your memory goes when you're old like me, lol. Hopefully I'll still remember this next year.

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 02/14/21 at 9:42 am

I was going to create a new thread next year as 2006 will be the throwback year of 2022, but I'll just add to this one when the time comes. This thread was created barely 6 months ago and I even posted on it, but I still don't remember it. That's how your memory goes when you're old like me, lol. Hopefully I'll still remember this next year.

Thanks.

Written By: violet_shy on 02/17/21 at 4:51 pm

Stacey Ferguson on Black-Eyed Peas.

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/17/21 at 5:48 pm

Stacey Ferguson on Black-Eyed Peas.

I just know her as Fergie. "London Bridge" is one hit I remember from that year.

Written By: 2001 on 02/19/21 at 8:06 pm

I'm starting to get nostalgic for this year, which I never thought would happen. I especially liked late 2006 when I started high school and the 7th generation of gaming got underway.

Two songs you would find on my iPod then.

XleOkGsYgO8
4ldjbjwim4k

Written By: Sman12 on 02/19/21 at 8:53 pm

I was 5/6 in 2006, and the things that I vaguely remember was SexyBack being played on the radio all the time and watching Avatar: The Last Airbender without knowing all the intricate storylines (lol). Looking at everyone's comments and my personal research, I would agree that 2006 was pretty mediocre in comparison to years like 2004 or even '03.

Hit movies (besides the critically acclaimed film The Departed) weren't really anything to write home about. Cars? Night At The Museum? Okay, that was a pretty funny movie, but still. Another Pirates at the Caribbean movie? No, thanks. We were still pretty knee-deep in the Iraq War quagmire, so I guess that's something noteworthy.

Only things that were interesting were the music and tech. Some of my favorite songs ever came out this year (Crazy, Rehab (Amy Winehouse), Promiscuous, Hips Don't Lie, etc). And of course there was the Wii and PS3 establishing the seventh gen console war and the mid-2000s culture at large. MySpace was HUGE and YouTube was beginning to find its rhythm in Internet culture.

Written By: 2001 on 02/19/21 at 9:08 pm

I was 5/6 in 2006, and the things that I vaguely remember was SexyBack being played on the radio all the time and watching Avatar: The Last Airbender without knowing all the intricate storylines (lol). Looking at everyone's comments and my personal research, I would agree that 2006 was pretty mediocre in comparison to years like 2004 or even '03.

Hit movies (besides the critically acclaimed film The Departed) weren't really anything to write home about. Cars? Night At The Museum? Okay, that was a pretty funny movie, but still. Another Pirates at the Caribbean movie? No, thanks. We were still pretty knee-deep in the Iraq War quagmire, so I guess that's something noteworthy.

Only things that were interesting were the music and tech. Some of my favorite songs ever came out this year (Crazy, Rehab (Amy Winehouse), Promiscuous, Hips Don't Lie, etc). And of course there was the Wii and PS3 establishing the seventh gen console war and the mid-2000s culture at large. MySpace was HUGE and YouTube was beginning to find its rhythm in Internet culture.

I actually thought 2006 was a good year for movies. I enjoyed V for Vendetta, Borat, Idiocracy, Little Miss Sunshine and Stranger Than Fiction. I might be forgetting a few others.

Another thing is that 2006 was an amazing year for television. We had Lost, Prison Break, first season Dexter, Arrested Development, 30 Rock, The Office, Donald Trump's The Apprentice and many others. Too many reality shows but if you knew to ignore that there was a lot of quality to be found.

Written By: Howard on 02/20/21 at 3:28 pm

It was the beginning of YouTube during this year.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/20/21 at 4:05 pm

Actually 2005. But I discovered YouTube in spring of 2006.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/20/21 at 4:07 pm

2006 was full of emos. This was also when chain wearing stopped.

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 02/20/21 at 4:16 pm

2006 was full of emos.

One reason I love the year.

Written By: 2001 on 02/20/21 at 4:17 pm

Early YouTube was special. Many hours spent with my brother making Dragonball Z AMVs on Windows Movie Maker.  :-qAUjGyMVhqw

(not mine but you get the idea)

Written By: Howard on 02/21/21 at 2:17 pm

Actually 2005. But I discovered YouTube in spring of 2006.

I started creating my video music folder around this time.

Written By: Shemp97 on 02/21/21 at 9:53 pm

It was a decent year. Nothing bad really happened. Its just that somewhat forgettable year squashed between more memorable years like 2005 and 2007. Kind of like 2016.

I actually thought 2006 was a good year for movies. I enjoyed V for Vendetta, Borat, Idiocracy, Little Miss Sunshine and Stranger Than Fiction.

Yep, these are actually pretty important films to modern pop culture. Reddit and the Youtube community refer to Borat and Idiocracy quite frequently.

Another thing is that 2006 was an amazing year for television.

This is because the early 2000s was the start of the modern golden age of television.

It's probably worth noting too that before reality TV blew up, soap operas and bad sitcoms clogged up the airwaves whenever networks couldn't show reruns of shows people actually wanted to watch. Services like Netflix and HBO have helped us largely avoid the usual TV shovelware in recent years.

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/27/21 at 8:17 am

I actually thought 2006 was a good year for movies. I enjoyed V for Vendetta, Borat, Idiocracy, Little Miss Sunshine and Stranger Than Fiction. I might be forgetting a few others.

Another thing is that 2006 was an amazing year for television. We had Lost, Prison Break, first season Dexter, Arrested Development, 30 Rock, The Office, Donald Trump's The Apprentice and many others. Too many reality shows but if you knew to ignore that there was a lot of quality to be found.

Idiocracy was a good one. I actually forgot it's from 2006. It is a cult classic and accurately predicted the future (at least in the US anyways), only it didn't take that long. V For Vendetta was another good one. Few movies to add are Pink Panther, My Super Ex-Girlfriend, and Grandma's Boy.

Written By: Wink-182 on 02/27/21 at 12:29 pm

2006 was a pretty cool year, the pop-punk phase of the 2000s seemingly over by then and the emo phase had just taken over, with My Chemical Romance and Fall Out Boy being all over the airwaves that year. The last full year before smartphones were a thing and the T-Mobile Sidekick was the big phone everyone wanted. Movies like Talladega Nights and Click in theaters, I always thought the 2000s is among one of the decades that had the greatest comedies come out during that time. The Sopranos were on their final season too, though it was split into two parts, part B being aired in 2007.

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 05/26/21 at 8:32 pm

Just got done watching Idiocracy.
Wow. That movie makes you think.

Written By: inovox on 05/27/21 at 12:06 am

My 2006 Highlights:

Cinema:

ELECTROMA
BORAT
CURIOUS GEORGE
TENACIOUS D IN THE PICK OF DESTINY
HIGH TECH SOUL: THE CREATION OF TECHNO MUSIC
GORILLAZ: LIVE IN MANCHESTER

Video Games:

GUITAR HERO 2
WII SPORTS
LINE RIDER
RUMBLE BOX
BOWMAN 2

Music:

Animusic - Animusic 2 (Video Album Soundtrack) (2006)
The Fray - How to Save a Life (2006)
Gorillaz - El Mañana (2006)
DragonForce - Inhuman Rampage (2006)
下村陽子 - Kingdom Hearts II Original Soundtrack (2006)
Daft Punk - Prime Time of Your Life (2006)
Jack Johnson - Upside Down (2006)
Kanye West - Touch the Sky (2006)
Snow Patrol - Chasing Cars (2006)
deadmau5 - Get Scraped (2006)
JoJo - Too Little Too Late (2006)
Rich Boy - Throw Some D's (2006)
Justin Timberlake - FutureSex / LoveSounds (2006)
Daughtry - Daughtry (2006)
Israel Kamakawiwoʻole - Over the Rainbow / What a Wonderful World (2006)

All in all, decent year. For everything except television, unfortunately. Although I'm a huge fan of television, it just so happens that there wasn't a season running during 2006 I truly loved besides The Angry Video Game Nerd Season 1. Just a year before or after would have half a dozen great shows running, but 2006? Nothing. Pretty strange.

Maybe that will change over time as I watch more classic shows from the mid-2000s.

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 05/27/21 at 12:17 am

My 2006 Highlights:

Cinema:

ELECTROMA
BORAT
CURIOUS GEORGE
TENACIOUS D IN THE PICK OF DESTINY
HIGH TECH SOUL: THE CREATION OF TECHNO MUSIC
GORILLAZ: LIVE IN MANCHESTER

Video Games:

GUITAR HERO 2
WII SPORTS
LINE RIDER
RUMBLE BOX
BOWMAN 2

Music:

Animusic - Animusic 2 (Video Album Soundtrack) (2006)
The Fray - How to Save a Life (2006)
Gorillaz - El Mañana (2006)
DragonForce - Inhuman Rampage (2006)
下村陽子 - Kingdom Hearts II Original Soundtrack (2006)
Daft Punk - Prime Time of Your Life (2006)
Jack Johnson - Upside Down (2006)
Kanye West - Touch the Sky (2006)
Snow Patrol - Chasing Cars (2006)
deadmau5 - Get Scraped (2006)
JoJo - Too Little Too Late (2006)
Rich Boy - Throw Some D's (2006)
Justin Timberlake - FutureSex / LoveSounds (2006)
Daughtry - Daughtry (2006)
Israel Kamakawiwoʻole - Over the Rainbow / What a Wonderful World (2006)

All in all, decent year. For everything except television, unfortunately. Although I'm a huge fan of television, it just so happens that there wasn't a season running during 2006 I truly loved besides The Angry Video Game Nerd Season 1. Just a year before or after would have half a dozen great shows running, but 2006? Nothing. Pretty strange.

Maybe that will change over time as I watch more classic shows from the mid-2000s.

Man was that extensive! You put stuff on my bucket list, the one bucket list with stuff I want to get done with. Thank you.

Written By: inovox on 05/27/21 at 2:12 am

Man was that extensive! You put stuff on my bucket list, the one bucket list with stuff I want to get done with. Thank you.

haha no problem! I have an imdb and rateyourmusic account with all my stuff archived so I just copied down the info. I have a favorites list for each year.

And btw, I think a lot of the other Nick & Cartoon Network shows running around 2006 deserve a shoutout too (Kids Next Door, Hi Hi Puffy Ami Yumi, Billy and Mandy, Foster's Home, Fairly OddParents, etc)

Written By: inovox on 05/27/21 at 2:17 am

My childhood!

https://assets.change.org/photos/8/pw/ja/NZPwJAQzoKzgeTp-800x450-noPad.jpg?1585380649

Written By: inovox on 05/27/21 at 2:26 am

So I just realized why I couldn't think of any 2006 shows. There are no shows I love that STARTED in 2006. But these classics were all running during that year!

Family Guy
South Park
It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia
Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends
Teen Titans
My Life As a Teenage Robot
Codename: Kids Next Door
The Fairly OddParents
Malcolm in the Middle

I didn't include The Simpsons or Spongebob because I feel like those are more 90s-early 2000s peaking shows.

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 05/27/21 at 2:31 am

I think the cartoon I intend to watch next is... Danny Phantom. I caught glimpses of it all throughout my daycare experiences in 2004-7 but only watched a few episodes all the way through in that same time period.

Probably gonna check out a few of the others' 2006 episodes as well.

Written By: inovox on 05/27/21 at 2:38 am

Danny Phantom was pretty good! I watched it about as much as Fairly OddParents back then (same creator). Although outside of Spongebob I mainly watched Cartoon Network shows. I feel like 2006 was when they were starting to edge out Nick in terms of quality.

Written By: NightmareFarm on 05/27/21 at 2:50 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k85mRPqvMbE

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/27/21 at 5:07 am

So I just realized why I couldn't think of any 2006 shows. There are no shows I love that STARTED in 2006. But these classics were all running during that year!

Family Guy
South Park
It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia
Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends
Teen Titans
My Life As a Teenage Robot
Codename: Kids Next Door
The Fairly OddParents
Malcolm in the Middle

I didn't include The Simpsons or Spongebob because I feel like those are more 90s-early 2000s peaking shows.

Heroes is one show that premiered in 2006 that I liked. There were also 30 Rock, Ugly Betty, and Dexter.

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 05/28/21 at 3:10 am

I'm going to provide vague (when it comes to plot) reviews of 3 films from the year I found intriguing enough to watch by now... Talladega Nights, I watched maybe a week ago. The Departed is something I saw mere hours ago...

Idiocracy: This movie is intense. It can be insanely hilarious, but when it's bleak, it hits HARD. Proceed with caution, and in the first 40-50 minutes of your viewing experience, expect everything to go wrong. 5/5 stars

Talladega Nights: Even though I wouldn't say it's as funny as Idiocracy, it has a more light-hearted feel all throughout/overall. 5/5 stars

The Departed: Now I know why Martin Scorsese's movies are viewed as tragic. Or maybe not, seeing as this was my first Scorsese movie. This is a movie full of sad truths, I would say. 5/5 stars

Spoiler regarding The Departed, in case you get to a point in the last 15-30 minutes when you want to shoot your TV:
Don't worry. The psychopath, I would think of him as, does not get away scot-free.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/14/21 at 6:04 pm

2006 is when everything started to suck. It was like the '00s version of 1997.

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 06/27/21 at 8:53 pm

I recently looked back on some notes I made to find out that Brand New's studio album The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me was released this year. I felt a need to say this because some if not most of the music recommendations on this thread are actually from 2005. Unless, that is, there are some later versions I haven't been able to find on YouTube.

Written By: violet_shy on 06/27/21 at 9:03 pm

Wait lol! 1997 was a great year. I can tell you that.  ;)

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/21/21 at 1:29 pm

I always thought of it as the Millennial's/early Gen-Z's version of 1990. I'll save the details for the thread for that year, but generally it was the same type of vibe we late Gen-Xers and early Millennial cuspers kids felt in 1990. After living through quite a few fun and exciting years of the late 80's, it was a feeling of everything starting to suck, although it got better in the later part of '91. 2006 was another low point in culture when it seemed to lack good music (other than JT, Nelly Furtado) and movies (other than The Departed, Night At the Museum, V For Vendetta, and I actually liked Pink Panther).

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 07/22/21 at 11:05 pm

Just looking at some of the things that people downvote me on reddit for saying... Yeah we apparently are in a state of Idiocracy already.

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/23/21 at 5:09 am

Just looking at some of the things that people downvote me on reddit for saying... Yeah we apparently are in a state of Idiocracy already.

I was thinking about 2020 like the real life combination of 3 movies: Contagion, The Purge, and Idiocracy.

Written By: inovox on 09/14/21 at 12:23 pm

Looking Glass by Stone Sour is probably the most 2006 thing I've ever heard. Great song haha

Written By: JacobThePlante on 11/18/21 at 1:44 pm

On May 19th the best movie of all time premiered in theaters (humanity peaked)

Written By: nally on 11/18/21 at 10:36 pm

I had some memorable times that year.

For one thing, I was still an undergrad student...attending two colleges (a university for my academic major, plus a community college for a certificate program). The Spring semester wasn't too challenging for me, academically. Because of that, I seemed to have lots of free time on my hands.

More to come later.

Written By: kr37 on 11/18/21 at 10:56 pm

I was in 2nd grade in the spring and 3rd grade in the fall. I remember I loved playing with my stuffed animals, but I don't have many specific memories of 2006.
One thing I do remember very clearly was April 5, 2006. My 2nd grade teacher pointed out to our class that at 1:23 the date would be 1:23 4/5/06. :D She would always write our schedule for the day on the board, and she wrote that on the board too!

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/19/21 at 6:41 am

On May 19th the best movie of all time premiered in theaters (humanity peaked)
Which film was that?

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 11/19/21 at 7:19 pm

Which film was that?

I'm guessing he means Over the Hedge, because the movie is listed in his signature, and I think I remember the movie coming out that year even though I didn't watch much of it myself.
I haven't yet figured out for sure by looking up the movie, though.

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 11/21/21 at 6:23 pm

I was in 2nd grade in the spring and 3rd grade in the fall. I remember I loved playing with my stuffed animals, but I don't have many specific memories of 2006.
One thing I do remember very clearly was April 5, 2006. My 2nd grade teacher pointed out to our class that at 1:23 the date would be 1:23 4/5/06. :D She would always write our schedule for the day on the board, and she wrote that on the board too!

Wouldn't happen until 5 years elapsed, but I've been meaning to tell a similar tale...

In Pre-Algebra, my 7th grade class for math, our teacher, on the 11th of November, 2011, said, "I just noticed something- it's about to be 11/11/11/11!"
A few minutes later, she said, "We should prepare for it."
Before it was 11a.m., as in right before it was 11a.m., she said, "And now it's..." and then, when the wall's analog clock struck 11a.m., "11-11-11-11!!!"

Written By: kr37 on 11/21/21 at 11:49 pm

Wouldn't happen until 5 years elapsed, but I've been meaning to tell a similar tale...

In Pre-Algebra, my 7th grade class for math, our teacher, on the 11th of November, 2011, said, "I just noticed something- it's about to be 11/11/11/11!"
Before it was 11a.m., as in right before it was 11a.m., she said, "And now it's..." and then, when the wall's analog clock struck 11a.m., "11-11-11-11!!!"

:D I remember 11/11/11 too!

Written By: batfan2005 on 11/22/21 at 5:41 am

Also in 2006 there was 06/06/06. There was a slight panic, not on the level of Y2K or 12/21/2012 but there was extra security that day. The Omen remake was also released that day.

Written By: NightmareFarm on 11/22/21 at 6:23 am

Also in 2006 there was 06/06/06. There was a slight panic, not on the level of Y2K or 12/21/2012 but there was extra security that day. The Omen remake was also released that day.

Lol people actually raised the security because it was 06/06/06?

Doomsday 2012 was mostly treated like a meme by everyone from what I remember. Unless they were all sweating bricks behind closed doors.

Written By: RLStern on 11/22/21 at 11:40 am

2000's sucked for the most part pop culture wise, it was up and down:

Great time periods of 2000's:

-1st 3 quarters of 2001

-First half of 2002

-2nd half of 2004

-1st half of 2005

-2nd half of 2006

-1st half of 2008

Horrible time periods years:

-Q4 2001(9/11, Anthrax, Aaliyah's fatal plane crash, though pop culture stayed good)

- 2nd half of 2002,

-first half of 2004,

-2nd half of 2005,

-1st half of 2006,

-2nd half of 2008,

1997-1999 was incredible.

Written By: batfan2005 on 11/22/21 at 1:41 pm

2000's sucked for the most part pop culture wise, it was up and down:

Great time periods of 2000's:

-1st 3 quarters of 2001

-First half of 2002

-2nd half of 2004

-1st half of 2005

-2nd half of 2006

-1st half of 2008

Horrible time periods years:

-Q4 2001(9/11, Anthrax, Aaliyah's fatal plane crash, though pop culture stayed good)

- 2nd half of 2002,

-first half of 2004,

-2nd half of 2005,

-1st half of 2006,

-2nd half of 2008,

1997-1999 was incredible.

I agree with most of these, but rather than have a separate good times and bad times list, I'll list mine in chronological order:

2000 (except for when I had strept throat for about 3 weeks in January) = great times, especially spring and summer. Had a bump in the fall but otherwise the rest of year was pretty good.

2001 - Q1 was still pretty good, but started going downhill after that (not as good as 2000), then of course 9/11 happened and everything including pop-culture had a somber tone until Spring of 2002. 2nd half of 2002 was better and more relaxed.

2003 - the whole year felt depressed and dark pretty much from start to finish with the Iraq War and economic downturn. Only around Christmas things started turning around.

2004 - Great year!

2005 - Also great year, and also fun and exciting. Pretty much the entire year was the build up to my Euro Trip in November, then it was all downhill after that.

2006 - Lame!

2007 - Also lame, but got better in Q4

2008 - Rhymes with great and that's what it was! Moved to Japan. Pop-culture was also good and brings back memories. Of course there was the recession tough.

2009 - Not as great as 2008. Our family's dog was put down, I went through a divorce, and Michael Jackson died. The one good thing was I was newly single in Japan so it wasn't all bad.

Written By: nally on 11/22/21 at 11:26 pm

Also in 2006 there was 06/06/06.

In the U.S., some states (including California) had primary elections that day. I went to my polling location and casted my votes.

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 12/01/21 at 12:26 am

1 month early, but remember this?

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/01/21 at 6:15 am

1 month early, but remember this?

Yes, especially since more posts have been added on to it soit stays in the front page. It seems like more people on here care about 2006 than 2005 as the thread for that year almost never gets any replies. Hopefully 2022 won't be like 2006 overall, but I'll still listen to the music, watch movies, play some video games that came out that year (the handful that I enjoyed).

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 01/01/22 at 10:02 am

Yes, especially since more posts have been added on to it soit stays in the front page. It seems like more people on here care about 2006 than 2005 as the thread for that year almost never gets any replies. Hopefully 2022 won't be like 2006 overall, but I'll still listen to the music, watch movies, play some video games that came out that year (the handful that I enjoyed).

Remember this?

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/01/22 at 10:15 am

Remember this?

Yes, I just haven't had a chance to post yet. Anyhow Happy 2022 everyone! New year means new year to throwback, and this year's throwback year is 2006. Most people seem to associate that year with "Sexy Back", but here are 2 songs that also scream 2006. The second one is more of a joke.

oofSnsGkops

NR4zHS-vttw

Hopefully 2022 won't be as lame (pop-culture wise) as 2006. I remember around this time that year (starting in late 2005) music seemed to have gone downhill with stupid songs like "Laffy Taffy".

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/01/22 at 10:50 am

Anyhow Happy 2022 everyone! New year means new year to throwback, and this year's throwback year is 2006. Most people seem to associate that year with "Sexy Back", but here are 2 songs that also scream 2006. The second one is more of a joke.
Hopefully 2022 won't be as lame (pop-culture wise) as 2006. I remember around this time that year (starting in late 2005) music seemed to have gone downhill with stupid songs like "Laffy Taffy".

Also quote from batfan in 1990 thread:

Happy 2022 everyone! The other throwback year of this year is 1990, as it is now 32 years ago.

Do you pick these "throwback years" at random or is there a scientific method of coming up with a year and comparing it to the New Year? It seems unusual to me, but I have seen from being on this board that it appears to be part of the mindset of Millennials and Gen Y to be in this sort of "endless loop" of "nostalgia" as in this rather new description of "nostalgia" with a new year bringing with it an old year somehow. Of course, I could be wrong about all this.

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/01/22 at 12:07 pm

Also quote from batfan in 1990 thread:
Do you pick these "throwback years" at random or is there a scientific method of coming up with a year and comparing it to the New Year? It seems unusual to me, but I have seen from being on this board that it appears to be part of the mindset of Millennials and Gen Y to be in this sort of "endless loop" of "nostalgia" as in this rather new description of "nostalgia" with a new year bringing with it an old year somehow. Of course, I could be wrong about all this.

It's my "Y-16=y" theory. Basically each year I look for similarities with the year that was 16 years before it (and 32 now that I've lived through them as well as a Gen X-er), and I'll focus on them by listening to music, watch movies, TV series, and play video games from those years. I also feel that because the generation span is 16 years, a 26 year old Millennial in 2021 could have felt the same vibes as a Gen-Xer that was 26 back in 2005. The pandemic interrupted the cycle though. The Batman originally was supposed to have been released in June 2021, while Batman Begins was released in June 2005 and Tim Burton's first one in June 1989. Of course I have no control over that but the areas I do have control over as I mentioned, is what I do.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/01/22 at 12:30 pm

It's my "Y-16=y" theory. Basically each year I look for similarities with the year that was 16 years before it (and 32 now that I've lived through them as well as a Gen X-er), and I'll focus on them by listening to music, watch movies, TV series, and play video games from those years. I also feel that because the generation span is 16 years, a 26 year old Millennial in 2021 could have felt the same vibes as a Gen-Xer that was 26 back in 2005. The pandemic interrupted the cycle though. The Batman originally was supposed to have been released in June 2021, while Batman Begins was released in June 2005 and Tim Burton's first one in June 1989. Of course I have no control over that but the areas I do have control over as I mentioned, is what I do.

Well, I see what you're doing, but I absolutely must disagree that a generational span is 16 years. That's WAY too short. A generation is at least 20 years and more like 25. I know it is subjective to some degree and there is margin for error on either end, but I've NEVER heard it described as low as 16. That's not enough time for an entire generation to go by.

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/01/22 at 2:20 pm

Well, I see what you're doing, but I absolutely must disagree that a generational span is 16 years. That's WAY too short. A generation is at least 20 years and more like 25. I know it is subjective to some degree and there is margin for error on either end, but I've NEVER heard it described as low as 16. That's not enough time for an entire generation to go by.

Actually the boomer generation was about 20 years, with the birth years from about 1945-1965, but Gen X birth years were 1965-1981, Millennials 1981-1997, and Gen Z 1997-2013ish.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/01/22 at 3:06 pm

Actually the boomer generation was about 20 years, with the birth years from about 1945-1965, but Gen X birth years were 1965-1981, Millennials 1981-1997, and Gen Z 1997-2013ish.

OH, I see what you're doing. Although the Boom generation is generally considered 1946-1964. 1965 is slightly late.

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/01/22 at 3:43 pm

OH, I see what you're doing. Although the Boom generation is generally considered 1946-1964. 1965 is slightly late.

The years are approximate + or - one year on either end.

Written By: youngbull316 on 01/01/22 at 4:57 pm

The Boomer and X range sounds about right. Millennials I would extend until at least 2000 personally, but that's just me.

Written By: youngbull316 on 01/01/22 at 4:58 pm

Generally 1965 isn't a Boomer and 1946-1964 is the official range, but I wouldn't mind adding 1945 and 1965 in the generation. It's a give/take for me. An approximate. 1945/1946 and 1964/1965 are cusp years on both sides.

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/14/22 at 7:47 am

February 2006, Superbowl XL was held in Detroit in which the Pittsburgh Steelers (with Jerome Bettis from Detroit) defeated the Seattle Seahawks. Also the Winter Olympics were held in Torino, Italy.

Written By: nally on 02/14/22 at 10:40 pm

February 2006, Superbowl XL was held in Detroit in which the Pittsburgh Steelers (with Jerome Bettis from Detroit) defeated the Seattle Seahawks. Also the Winter Olympics were held in Torino, Italy.

Two major sporting events in the same calendar month!

As for my own life, I was starting an undergrad semester that wasn't too difficult for me.

Hard to believe it's now 16 years since then!! (Back then I was stunned that the phrase "16 years ago" pointed to 1990!) :D

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/15/22 at 10:36 am

Two major sporting events in the same calendar month!

As for my own life, I was starting an undergrad semester that wasn't too difficult for me.

Hard to believe it's now 16 years since then!! (Back then I was stunned that the phrase "16 years ago" pointed to 1990!) :D

It was a big year for Italy as they also won the World Cup that summer.

Yeah, 2006 doesn't seem as distant from 2022 as 1990 did in 2006. Especially since this forum already existed back in 2006 and I remember the discussions about 1990 back then.

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 02/28/22 at 11:38 am

... and I hate 2005.

Written By: nally on 02/28/22 at 7:51 pm

It was a big year for Italy as they also won the World Cup that summer.

Yeah, 2006 doesn't seem as distant from 2022 as 1990 did in 2006. Especially since this forum already existed back in 2006 and I remember the discussions about 1990 back then.

Yup…

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/01/22 at 6:30 pm

... and I hate 2005.

There is a thread for 2005. Just saying. Anyhow I won't say I hate 2006, especially looking back from 2022, but I would say it's my least favorite year of the 2000's (with 2003 not too far behind).

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 03/01/22 at 8:32 pm

There is a thread for 2005. Just saying. Anyhow I won't say I hate 2006, especially looking back from 2022, but I would say it's my least favorite year of the 2000's (with 2003 not too far behind).

Well it's not like I want to declare my hatred for 2005 in a thread dedicated to the year (in which probably a lot of people who like or love the year would post), especially seeing as it is my personal life at the time that makes me hate 2005.

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/01/22 at 9:39 pm

Well it's not like I want to declare my hatred for 2005 in a thread dedicated to the year (in which probably a lot of people who like or love the year would post), especially seeing as it is my personal life at the time that makes me hate 2005.

I'm sorry for whatever happened in 2005 that made you hate it.

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 03/01/22 at 10:25 pm

I'm sorry for whatever happened in 2005 that made you hate it.

Well thanks.

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/13/22 at 8:20 pm

I remember around the same time as "You're Beautiful" by James Blunt, this piano ballad was also popular. This song was also played on American Idol whenever a contestant was eliminated.

gH476CxJxfg

Written By: nally on 03/13/22 at 8:46 pm

I remember around the same time as "You're Beautiful" by James Blunt, this piano ballad was also popular. This song was also played on American Idol whenever a contestant was eliminated.

Daniel Powter “Bad Day”

I remember that song very well. Did he have any other hits besides that? I can’t seem to remember any.

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/15/22 at 4:05 pm

I remember that song very well. Did he have any other hits besides that? I can’t seem to remember any.

I can't think of any others. I think he was pretty much a one-hit wonder.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/15/22 at 4:13 pm

I remember around the same time as "You're Beautiful" by James Blunt, this piano ballad was also popular.

There others by James Blunt, but he has note in the charts for some while.

What I remember about "You're Beautiful" by James Blunt, is that there were two versions of the song, the album version which has a naughty word in the lyrics, and a cleaner single version. Sometimes radio would play the wrong version on air and would get many complaints. Also, a friend of the family worked in a leading record shop at that time, and if had to be aware it play the album in the store (promotional reason) over the PA, someone would have to be on guard to skip the offending track.

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/20/22 at 9:12 pm

these scenes in the movie Pink Panther were hilarious, how Inspector Clouseau (Steve Martin) could not say the word "hamburger".

Z6oeAdemFZw

ZgBPFyzsqFg

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/20/22 at 9:20 pm

these scenes in the movie Pink Panther were hilarious, how Inspector Clouseau (Steve Martin) could not say the word "hamburger".

Sorry, but I can't go for it. Only Peter Sellers is Inspector Cousteau. Period. They never even should have bothered with a remake. It's tampering with the classics.

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/04/22 at 2:16 pm

I remember this song being popular in the spring of 2006. It's actually from her 2004 album so it had a lot of longevity.

nFCuyLwhUzM

Also this one. Not as big as "Feel Good Inc." but it was a popular follow-single.

uAOR6ib95kQ

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/20/22 at 9:24 am

A few more Spring 2006 hits:

DUT5rEU6pqM

dW2MmuA1nI4

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/03/22 at 8:34 am

I was in a restaurant yesterday and counted at least 4 songs from 2006 including Sexy Back, Promiscuous, Hips Don't Lie, and I Write Sins Not Tragedies. Of course it was mixing it up with other songs from the 2000's like Bye Bye Bye by NSYNC (2000) and Dynamite by Tiao Cruz (2009). I'm guessing it was like the Pop2K XM station, which I was listening to another day at it seemed to focus heavily on 2006. There was even an intro about remembering 2006 with Borat quotes, wearing crocs, and listening to this song on your iPod Nano (and then played an All-American Rejects song). Also a few weeks ago I was in a grocery store and heard Daniel Powter's Bad Day song playing.

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 05/03/22 at 9:55 pm

I was in a restaurant yesterday and counted at least 4 songs from 2006 including Sexy Back, Promiscuous, Hips Don't Lie, and I Write Sins Not Tragedies. Of course it was mixing it up with other songs from the 2000's like Bye Bye Bye by NSYNC (2000) and Dynamite by Tiao Cruz (2009). I'm guessing it was like the Pop2K XM station, which I was listening to another day at it seemed to focus heavily on 2006. There was even an intro about remembering 2006 with Borat quotes, wearing crocs, and listening to this song on your iPod Nano (and then played an All-American Rejects song). Also a few weeks ago I was in a grocery store and heard Daniel Powter's Bad Day song playing.

I Write Sins was actually from 2005 (at least according to www.discogs.com), but I like it a lot as well as Sexy Back.

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/04/22 at 6:57 am

I Write Sins was actually from 2005 (at least according to www.discogs.com), but I like it a lot as well as Sexy Back.

I remember it being popular in the spring of 2006 so it was a 2005 holdover. Actually You're Beautiful and Bad Day were released in 2005 as well.

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/12/22 at 7:44 am

One of my favorite songs in the spring of 2006. It samples the "Gypsy Woman (She's Homeless)" song by Crystal Waters (1991).

U6z_cilnJzg

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/25/22 at 9:13 am

Speaking of T.I., I just watched this movie yesterday, which features another song "What You Know" from the same album. It's also one of my favorite movies from 2006 as it really captures the vibe of a summer in my home city, especially in the mid-2000's with the aestetics and fashion of the time. I remember the big baggy shorts and colorful polos that were in style then, and of course the grills.

qYGxqPmxDfw

Written By: nally on 05/26/22 at 12:09 am

There others by James Blunt, but he has note in the charts for some while.

I would like to clarify that I was referring to Daniel Powter, of "Bad Day" fame, in my previous post. (Not James Blunt. I knew he had other singles besides his signature hit "You're Beautiful.")

Mr. Powter probably was a 2000s one hit wonder (unless he had other singles elsewhere in the world?).

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/26/22 at 3:12 am

Sorry, but I can't go for it. Only Peter Sellers is Inspector Cousteau. Period. They never even should have bothered with a remake. It's tampering with the classics.
Even the Pink Panther film that used the unused and outtake footage with Peter Sellers was a complete disaster.

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/31/22 at 8:20 am

Remember when she had a singing career? lol

6Mj776YiPCU

Written By: Slim95 on 06/02/22 at 9:41 pm

Remember when she had a singing career? lol

6Mj776YiPCU

Yeah, so trashy. But oddly enough, this song wasn't bad:

KYIOdoG93Uc

Written By: Slim95 on 06/02/22 at 9:45 pm

I remember this song was popular in 2006, at least where I live. It feels like yesterday I saw this on Much Music around July of 2006.

yCtBXHvvQ0c

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/06/22 at 12:38 pm

I completely forgot about this but also in sports was the World Baseball Classic in March which Japan won.

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/21/22 at 7:36 am

pQly7_Cj34U

iuJDhFRDx9M

Plus Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby, something about fast cars in the summer movie lineup.

Written By: JacobThePlante on 06/21/22 at 10:54 pm

Cars stole a lot of the thunder from Over The Hedge that summer (families taking their kids to see an animated movie for the summer), which I'll forever be salty about. But Cars itself was also a very good movie so I'm not that mad

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/04/22 at 8:25 am

This is my favorite movie of Summer 2006, which says something about the state of movies that summer. I think I'll watch it again, even though it has the canceled Kevin Spacey as Lex Luthor.

bRqAUqAFhNw

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/04/22 at 8:40 am

This is my favorite movie of Summer 2006, which says something about the state of movies that summer. I think I'll watch it again, even though it has the canceled Kevin Spacey as Lex Luthor.

The eternal question. Can we separate the artist from the art? 

Written By: JacobThePlante on 07/04/22 at 8:45 pm

The eternal question. Can we separate the artist from the art?

we should

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/05/22 at 6:32 pm

One of my favorite games from 2006, for the Nintendo DS. It brought back the 2D side-scrolling experience. I have the cartridge of this game somewhere in my house. I can't find it now after moving so many times.

Zy41U69D6Lc

Written By: JacobThePlante on 07/05/22 at 10:37 pm

Was the DS that relevant in 2006? I feel like it ended being a late 2000's/early 2010's thing

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/06/22 at 8:34 pm

Was the DS that relevant in 2006? I feel like it ended being a late 2000's/early 2010's thing

It launched in 2004 but didn't have many games for it yet, except for the Super Mario 64 DS. I got mine in 2005 and I remember playing Meteos and Advanced Wars: Dual Strike and being addicted to those. It was popular throughout the late 2000's/early 2010's and then the 3DS launched in 2011. I also liked the two Zelda games, Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks.

Written By: batfan2005 on 08/01/22 at 8:53 pm

Shake and bake! lol

YfGRg0FLxtE

Written By: batfan2005 on 08/21/22 at 10:24 am

Oh snap!

WD33ii01kXI

Personally I liked this song more than Sexy Back

xjpe7EGyiw8

Written By: batfan2005 on 08/21/22 at 10:48 am

Here's a song I was forgetting about, until I listened to "I Ain't Worried" by OneRepublic and it reminded me of it. This style of music was also popular in 2006, indie rock/pop.

OIRE6iw-ws4

Written By: 80sfan on 08/28/22 at 4:22 pm

A lot of my high school peers got Facebook this year. Facebook exploded, in my corner, in 2006/2007.  :(

Written By: nally on 09/24/22 at 12:07 am

A lot of my high school peers got Facebook this year. Facebook exploded, in my corner, in 2006/2007.  :(

And I wasn't interested in social media back then, although in retrospect I kinda wish I was. It probably might have helped me to stay in better touch with people I knew at the time.

Written By: batfan2005 on 09/24/22 at 7:40 am

And I wasn't interested in social media back then, although in retrospect I kinda wish I was. It probably might have helped me to stay in better touch with people I knew at the time.

I was active on MySpace back then but didn't know much about Facebook at the time. I signed up for FB in 2008 when most of my friends moved to there from MySpace.

Written By: nally on 09/24/22 at 11:35 am

I was active on MySpace back then but didn't know much about Facebook at the time. I signed up for FB in 2008 when most of my friends moved to there from MySpace.

Yes, I think Myspace was quite popular back then, but I had no interest in it whatsoever. I didn't register on FB until 2009, a year after my mom had done so (she invited me to join; and it was in June of 2009 when I finally accepted that invitation).

Written By: Slim95 on 09/25/22 at 12:56 pm

Yes, I think Myspace was quite popular back then, but I had no interest in it whatsoever. I didn't register on FB until 2009, a year after my mom had done so (she invited me to join; and it was in June of 2009 when I finally accepted that invitation).

I didn't sign up for MySpace until 2008 and it was already dead by that point and Facebook was the new big thing. But I signed up for Facebook in 2008 as well. I remember nobody went on MySpace anymore during that time.

Written By: nally on 09/25/22 at 2:29 pm

I didn't sign up for MySpace until 2008 and it was already dead by that point and Facebook was the new big thing. But I signed up for Facebook in 2008 as well. I remember nobody went on MySpace anymore during that time.

Well I never went to Myspace, period. Never had the interest. But yeah, I do remember its popularity diminishing by '08 or so.

Written By: batfan2005 on 10/02/22 at 12:13 pm

Just watched this movie on the flight coming home. This is one of the craziest stunt scenes in any movie I've seen. The villain that Bond (Craig) was chasing was played by Sebastien Foucan, who was one of the creators of parkour that was popular in the Mid-2000's.

1Q9r2gug2SA

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 10/10/22 at 3:40 pm

If I remember correctly, yes. At least, in 2007, it was, so having one back in 2006 was probably feasible.

Written By: batfan2005 on 10/10/22 at 6:55 pm

One of my favorite films of 2006. A Martin Scorsese classic.

iojhqm0JTW4

Written By: batfan2005 on 11/03/22 at 1:48 pm

On this day in 2006, this moviefilm was released:

jTx5c-2QOXc

I remember one of the highlights of that year was all the impressions of him, especially how he says "Very nice!"

Written By: batfan2005 on 11/09/22 at 10:57 am

This movie was pretty good. It's set in the year 2027 (not too distant from now).

2VT2apoX90o

Written By: batfan2005 on 11/10/22 at 7:30 am

I thought this song was posted earlier (their "Move Along" song was). Anyhow I remember this being popular around Fall of 2006, which I've come to appreciate more recently:

yfdAGkjHGac

Written By: JacobThePlante on 11/13/22 at 9:14 pm

I thought this song was posted earlier (their "Move Along" song was). Anyhow I remember this being popular around Fall of 2006, which I've come to appreciate more recently:

yfdAGkjHGac

amazing song

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/01/22 at 10:55 am

NF75QyhWmBs

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/13/22 at 7:25 am

A few Christmas movies of 2006:

This one is like "The Passion" but about the birth of Jesus, and not as successful. I still want to watch it.

UiSfup00uZY

I remember seeing parts of this movie when it was just on somewhere. It had some Home Alone influences.

w3PkuZf6OrA

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 12/15/22 at 10:15 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoshi's_Island_DS

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/18/22 at 7:44 am

As today is the World Cup Final (between Argentina and France), here is a moment of the 2006 WC between Italy and France, and probably the most memorable moment of that entire World Cup.

zAjWi663kXc

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/27/22 at 9:48 am

This was actually my favorite movie of the holiday season of 2006. Even though it's not a Christmas movie, it was released right before Christmas.

Ltba1_-tRT4

Written By: JacobThePlante on 01/23/23 at 7:36 pm

2006 is almost 2 decades ago now. Think about that

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 02/02/23 at 6:55 pm

It's depressing to me.

Written By: JacobThePlante on 04/02/23 at 1:53 am

It's depressing to me.

you should always have hope for the future!

Written By: Howard on 04/02/23 at 2:35 am

I agree.

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/02/23 at 6:21 am

I saw a post on IG about how the Nintendo Wii has become the same age in 2022 as the Super NES was in 2006.

Written By: JacobThePlante on 04/03/23 at 1:55 am

I saw a post on IG about how the Nintendo Wii has become the same age in 2022 as the Super NES was in 2006.

the reason that's so crazy is how much technological advancement has plateaued (what a weird word that is). the difference between a SNES VS a Wii is enormous, whereas even 17 years later the Wii STILL feels futuristic in a way

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 04/03/23 at 3:47 am

I only have a little left in me. Between videos getting removed and entire sites getting removed it's depressing as crap living in today's world for me.

Edit: if there was some breakthrough data retrieval technology that ended up bringing online content back from the dead, and after that had been invented, it actually brought what I miss back from the dead... I'd have a lot of hope regained in me.

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/03/23 at 6:26 am

the reason that's so crazy is how much technological advancement has plateaued (what a weird word that is). the difference between a SNES VS a Wii is enormous, whereas even 17 years later the Wii STILL feels futuristic in a way

2007 was the year of the first iPhone and pretty much technology has just been newer versions of the same thing since then, maybe with the exceptions of smart devices and self driving vehicles.

The Wii was pretty futuristic with the motion controls, only the wiggling of the remote got annoying after awhile.

Written By: JacobThePlante on 04/05/23 at 2:00 am

I only have a little left in me. Between videos getting removed and entire sites getting removed it's depressing as crap living in today's world for me.

Edit: if there was some breakthrough data retrieval technology that ended up bringing online content back from the dead, and after that had been invented, it actually brought what I miss back from the dead... I'd have a lot of hope regained in me.

I too despise lost media. But it's a giant oh well, can't really do anything about something that's just gone, no point missing it too much

Written By: JacobThePlante on 04/05/23 at 2:04 am

2007 was the year of the first iPhone and pretty much technology has just been newer versions of the same thing since then, maybe with the exceptions of smart devices and self driving vehicles.

The Wii was pretty futuristic with the motion controls, only the wiggling of the remote got annoying after awhile.

Live streaming, VR, and now AI have been the only big advancements since. AI in particular proving to be possibly the biggest tech advancement of all time

Written By: Howard on 04/05/23 at 7:32 am

Live streaming, VR, and now AI have been the only big advancements since. AI in particular proving to be possibly the biggest tech advancement of all time

Live Streaming does have it's disadvantages too sometimes, when you're trying to watch a video it lags or it gets disrupted.

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/05/23 at 11:46 am

Live Streaming does have it's disadvantages too sometimes, when you're trying to watch a video it lags or it gets disrupted.

I remember the in between period when you had digital downloads, like for the PS3 and Sony Android devices from the Playstation Store, or Google Play for Android and iTunes for Apple. I believe those have been discontinued and switched to strictly streaming.

Written By: Howard on 04/05/23 at 1:13 pm

I remember the in between period when you had digital downloads, like for the PS3 and Sony Android devices from the Playstation Store, or Google Play for Android and iTunes for Apple. I believe those have been discontinued and switched to strictly streaming.

What were they exactly? ???

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/05/23 at 5:31 pm

What were they exactly? ???

Around 10-ish years ago you could buy movies and episodes of TV series and download to your device. Some apps still offer downloads such as Netflix. I believe iTunes still offers downloads but they are strictly for Apple devices, and I haven't owned one since the iPhone 4. I was buying them on the PlayStation Video store and downloading them to the PS3. Since the PS4, there was no longer an option to download, only streaming.

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 04/06/23 at 11:46 pm

But it's a giant oh well, can't really do anything about something that's just gone, no point missing it too much

I literally can't understand this.

It would never make me feel better to know for certain that something is gone for forever.

Check for new replies or respond here...