inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2006 Remembrance Thread

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 07/29/20 at 9:18 pm

2006 is a year I find extremely likable.

If there's already a thread like this, please forgive me, because I didn't know about it. But at the same time, please post any information about the (cultural) atmosphere of 2006 here.

Subject: Re: 2006 Remembrance Thread

Written By: Slim95 on 07/30/20 at 1:18 am

I didn't like it that much, the years before it were better. But whenever I think of 2006 I think of this song because it was always on the radio during that time:

3gOHvDP_vCs

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/30/20 at 11:29 am

I didn't like it that much, the years before it were better. But whenever I think of 2006 I think of this song because it was always on the radio during that time:

3gOHvDP_vCs

It was my least favorite year of the decade. I liked JT's album but the song that comes to mind when I think about 2006 is "You're Beautiful" by James Blunt, mainly because I heard it 50 times a day that year, lol.

Written By: DisneysRetro on 07/30/20 at 3:21 pm

2006 was kind of like the start if something new. I don’t know its hard to explain but a lot of technology and pop culture began to change in 2006. The vibe wasn’t as great as the years before it. 2006/2007 is when a lot of stores like Blockbuster began going downhill, misic stores were going out of business, Toys r us started to decline in sales/mainstream popularity, iPods started gaining more success, etc. But I did like some of the movies and tv shows that were released that year.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/30/20 at 5:56 pm

It was my least favorite year of the decade. I liked JT's album but the song that comes to mind when I think about 2006 is "You're Beautiful" by James Blunt, mainly because I heard it 50 times a day that year, lol.

Oh yeah that song was inescapable too.

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 07/30/20 at 6:26 pm

Remember the cubeworld toys? I think they came out that year.

Written By: doublejm1 on 07/30/20 at 8:56 pm

2006 was inferior to 2005 in my opinion. But there's no question that change was in the air.

When I think of 2006, these songs, artists, movies, social media, and trends come to mind:

- Nelly Furtado
- Timbaland
- Justin Timberlake
- Cassie (Me & U)
- Rihanna (S.O.S.)
- Ne-Yo (Sexy Love)
- T-Pain
- Chris Brown (Gimme That)
- iPods
- Ciara
- Akon
- Shakira/Wyclef (Hips Don't Lie)
- My Chemical Romance (The Black Parade)
- Emo fashion
- Ringtones
- World Cup
- Christina Aguilera
- Borat
- The Fray
- Blood Diamond
- Little Man
- Night at the Museum
- You, Me, and Dupree
- The Departed
- MySpace
- Facebook
- YouTube
- George W. Bush

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/31/20 at 5:39 am

2006 was inferior to 2005 in my opinion. But there's no question that change was in the air.

When I think of 2006, these songs, artists, movies, social media, and trends come to mind:

- Nelly Furtado
- Timbaland
- Justin Timberlake
- Cassie (Me & U)
- Rihanna (S.O.S.)
- Ne-Yo (Sexy Love)
- T-Pain
- Chris Brown (Gimme That)
- iPods
- Ciara
- Akon
- Shakira/Wyclef (Hips Don't Lie)
- My Chemical Romance (The Black Parade)
- Emo fashion
- Ringtones
- World Cup
- Christina Aguilera
- Borat
- The Fray
- Blood Diamond
- Little Man
- Night at the Museum
- You, Me, and Dupree
- The Departed
- MySpace
- Facebook
- YouTube
- George W. Bush

Agreed, and that list is a reminder that 2006 was one of the most culturally lackluster years. Out of that list the only things I liked were Borat, The Daparted, Night at the Museum, Italy 🇮🇹 winning the World Cup, and some of JT' and Nelly Furtado's songs. I would however like to add Superman Returns, V For Vendetta, Talledega Nights, and the release of the Wii and PS3.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/31/20 at 12:11 pm

Agreed, and that list is a reminder that 2006 was one of the most culturally lackluster years. Out of that list the only things I liked were Borat, The Daparted, Night at the Museum, Italy 🇮🇹 winning the World Cup, and some of JT' and Nelly Furtado's songs. I would however like to add Superman Returns, V For Vendetta, Talledega Nights, and the release of the Wii and PS3.

I agree. I never look back at 2006 and think of how great a year it is.

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 02/13/21 at 11:25 pm

I hate 2005, but it's for deeply personal reasons. I like a lot of stuff from 2005, but wouldn't be able to bring myself to like the year as a whole.

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/14/21 at 7:50 am

2006 is a year I find extremely likable.

If there's already a thread like this, please forgive me, because I didn't know about it. But at the same time, please post any information about the (cultural) atmosphere of 2006 here.

I was going to create a new thread next year as 2006 will be the throwback year of 2022, but I'll just add to this one when the time comes. This thread was created barely 6 months ago and I even posted on it, but I still don't remember it. That's how your memory goes when you're old like me, lol. Hopefully I'll still remember this next year.

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 02/14/21 at 9:42 am

I was going to create a new thread next year as 2006 will be the throwback year of 2022, but I'll just add to this one when the time comes. This thread was created barely 6 months ago and I even posted on it, but I still don't remember it. That's how your memory goes when you're old like me, lol. Hopefully I'll still remember this next year.

Thanks.

Written By: violet_shy on 02/17/21 at 4:51 pm

Stacey Ferguson on Black-Eyed Peas.

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/17/21 at 5:48 pm

Stacey Ferguson on Black-Eyed Peas.

I just know her as Fergie. "London Bridge" is one hit I remember from that year.

Written By: 2001 on 02/19/21 at 8:06 pm

I'm starting to get nostalgic for this year, which I never thought would happen. I especially liked late 2006 when I started high school and the 7th generation of gaming got underway.

Two songs you would find on my iPod then.

XleOkGsYgO8
4ldjbjwim4k

Written By: Sman12 on 02/19/21 at 8:53 pm

I was 5/6 in 2006, and the things that I vaguely remember was SexyBack being played on the radio all the time and watching Avatar: The Last Airbender without knowing all the intricate storylines (lol). Looking at everyone's comments and my personal research, I would agree that 2006 was pretty mediocre in comparison to years like 2004 or even '03.

Hit movies (besides the critically acclaimed film The Departed) weren't really anything to write home about. Cars? Night At The Museum? Okay, that was a pretty funny movie, but still. Another Pirates at the Caribbean movie? No, thanks. We were still pretty knee-deep in the Iraq War quagmire, so I guess that's something noteworthy.

Only things that were interesting were the music and tech. Some of my favorite songs ever came out this year (Crazy, Rehab (Amy Winehouse), Promiscuous, Hips Don't Lie, etc). And of course there was the Wii and PS3 establishing the seventh gen console war and the mid-2000s culture at large. MySpace was HUGE and YouTube was beginning to find its rhythm in Internet culture.

Written By: 2001 on 02/19/21 at 9:08 pm

I was 5/6 in 2006, and the things that I vaguely remember was SexyBack being played on the radio all the time and watching Avatar: The Last Airbender without knowing all the intricate storylines (lol). Looking at everyone's comments and my personal research, I would agree that 2006 was pretty mediocre in comparison to years like 2004 or even '03.

Hit movies (besides the critically acclaimed film The Departed) weren't really anything to write home about. Cars? Night At The Museum? Okay, that was a pretty funny movie, but still. Another Pirates at the Caribbean movie? No, thanks. We were still pretty knee-deep in the Iraq War quagmire, so I guess that's something noteworthy.

Only things that were interesting were the music and tech. Some of my favorite songs ever came out this year (Crazy, Rehab (Amy Winehouse), Promiscuous, Hips Don't Lie, etc). And of course there was the Wii and PS3 establishing the seventh gen console war and the mid-2000s culture at large. MySpace was HUGE and YouTube was beginning to find its rhythm in Internet culture.

I actually thought 2006 was a good year for movies. I enjoyed V for Vendetta, Borat, Idiocracy, Little Miss Sunshine and Stranger Than Fiction. I might be forgetting a few others.

Another thing is that 2006 was an amazing year for television. We had Lost, Prison Break, first season Dexter, Arrested Development, 30 Rock, The Office, Donald Trump's The Apprentice and many others. Too many reality shows but if you knew to ignore that there was a lot of quality to be found.

Written By: Howard on 02/20/21 at 3:28 pm

It was the beginning of YouTube during this year.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/20/21 at 4:05 pm

Actually 2005. But I discovered YouTube in spring of 2006.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/20/21 at 4:07 pm

2006 was full of emos. This was also when chain wearing stopped.

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 02/20/21 at 4:16 pm

2006 was full of emos.

One reason I love the year.

Written By: 2001 on 02/20/21 at 4:17 pm

Early YouTube was special. Many hours spent with my brother making Dragonball Z AMVs on Windows Movie Maker.  :-qAUjGyMVhqw

(not mine but you get the idea)

Written By: Howard on 02/21/21 at 2:17 pm

Actually 2005. But I discovered YouTube in spring of 2006.

I started creating my video music folder around this time.

Written By: Shemp97 on 02/21/21 at 9:53 pm

It was a decent year. Nothing bad really happened. Its just that somewhat forgettable year squashed between more memorable years like 2005 and 2007. Kind of like 2016.

I actually thought 2006 was a good year for movies. I enjoyed V for Vendetta, Borat, Idiocracy, Little Miss Sunshine and Stranger Than Fiction.

Yep, these are actually pretty important films to modern pop culture. Reddit and the Youtube community refer to Borat and Idiocracy quite frequently.

Another thing is that 2006 was an amazing year for television.

This is because the early 2000s was the start of the modern golden age of television.

It's probably worth noting too that before reality TV blew up, soap operas and bad sitcoms clogged up the airwaves whenever networks couldn't show reruns of shows people actually wanted to watch. Services like Netflix and HBO have helped us largely avoid the usual TV shovelware in recent years.

Check for new replies or respond here...