inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: I miss when Windows XP was a thing

Written By: Tory on 10/04/20 at 8:02 pm

For the longest time Windows XP was everywhere. Up until 2014 all the computers at my old grade school and library had Windows XP. It has more personality than any other OS, the taskbar, all the wacky icons, the startup sound, Office 2003, etc. Now with Windows 10 everything is made to look professional and corporate, like the type of computer that belongs in a workplace. I also don't it's fair how CRT monitors have been shunned. They actually went up to fairly high resolutions and worked as well as any other flat panel monitor with VGA. I think Windows XP is in this weird place where it's considered "ancient" but everyone still remembers it considering how popular it was, it's not retro/unusable like Windows 95/98/2000/ME but it's not modern either.

Subject: Re: I miss when Windows XP was a thing

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/04/20 at 8:09 pm

Windows XP was excellent. Very user friendly and functional. Remember when they replaced it with that horrid Vista? Vista was a sad chapter in the history of Windows. Absolutely terrible! What were they thinking?

Written By: Tory on 10/04/20 at 8:09 pm

It also had this cool Disney theme  :P

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/740335663404285963/760447473289396234/unknown.png?width=990&height=619

Written By: wagonman76 on 10/04/20 at 8:30 pm

I preferred 2000. I had it on my desktop at home until a couple years ago since I couldn’t do much online anyway due to dialup internet, the computer finally crapped out. It was the last one where you didn’t have to register the installation. I didn’t like the cartoon effect of XP and the software that followed. You could turn it back to traditional but then it didn’t work with some of our software. 2000 had USB and yet it seemed pretty simple and I felt in control of it. Just a simple business OS, no glitz. My favorite background is still prairie wind.

I’ve gotten used to flat displays but I miss the CRT. When they first switched to flat screens at work I had a hard time with it. It looked too grainy and was slow to track. But I can understand they save a lot of energy.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 10/05/20 at 4:13 am

Windows XP was my second favourite, but Windows 7 will forever be in my heart!!!  :D

Written By: GeekyAlgorithm on 10/05/20 at 7:54 am

I miss Word. I'd also use my XP to play Shockwave games on Cartoon Network's site, like Toonami Trapped in Hyperspace. Anyone remember that game? Anyone remember Swayzak?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/05/20 at 9:20 am

I miss Word. I'd also use my XP to play Shockwave games on Cartoon Network's site, like Toonami Trapped in Hyperspace. Anyone remember that game? Anyone remember Swayzak?

Word hasn't gone anywhere. Although the previous version was better.

Written By: wixness on 10/05/20 at 10:46 am

I kind of miss it too, although these days some of the software I need and games I like to play will need at least Windows 7 or even 10.
When I did use Win XP, I mostly just went online though. Man, I miss 2000s YouTube. The old Win XP system we once had used a flat screen monitor (it was quite small though but did the job). It was quite an experience though. Windows Media Player, putting songs in MP3s. Win XP was quite customizable too.

I can understand with how Win 10 looks too corporate. I don't mind the design of Win XP's UI although I think flat design is less elitist to design and I find appeal in this.

Written By: Howard on 10/05/20 at 1:37 pm

Windows XP was excellent. Very user friendly and functional. Remember when they replaced it with that horrid Vista? Vista was a sad chapter in the history of Windows. Absolutely terrible! What were they thinking?

Wasn't that the one that always crashed?

Written By: Howard on 10/05/20 at 1:38 pm

Windows XP was my second favourite, but Windows 7 will forever be in my heart!!!  :D

I have Windows 10.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/05/20 at 2:58 pm

Our first PC was a Windows XP.  I remember when I got it was talking to my brother (the computer guru) he asked me, "95 or 98?" I didn't have a clue what he was talking about. I said to him, "I don't know. I just know it is an XP." Yeah, I answered his question without even knowing what his question was. lol.

We had that computer for the longest time. We upgraded it to a Vista that we absolutely hated. Carlos kept the XP and played games on it for the most part. I then upgraded the Vista (that I hated) with a Windows 7 as Carlos still used the XP. I don't know how many years ago that the old XP finally bit the dust.

Right now all of our computers (this desk top, an old desk top that Carlos uses for games, and two laptops) ALL have Windows 7. I HATE Windows 8 and 10. If I can't have Windows 7, I just may find some other OS besides Windows.

Cat

Written By: violet_shy on 10/05/20 at 3:47 pm

For the longest time Windows XP was everywhere. Up until 2014 all the computers at my old grade school and library had Windows XP. It has more personality than any other OS, the taskbar, all the wacky icons, the startup sound, Office 2003, etc. Now with Windows 10 everything is made to look professional and corporate, like the type of computer that belongs in a workplace. I also don't it's fair how CRT monitors have been shunned. They actually went up to fairly high resolutions and worked as well as any other flat panel monitor with VGA. I think Windows XP is in this weird place where it's considered "ancient" but everyone still remembers it considering how popular it was, it's not retro/unusable like Windows 95/98/2000/ME but it's not modern either.

Windows XP was very easy to use. I had it in my old computer back in the 2000s.  :)

Written By: Wink-182 on 10/05/20 at 9:09 pm

It's startup sound is still forever in my memory. So many summer days wasted watching late 2000s era Youtube and playing Addicting Games and Shockwave all day.

Written By: batfan2005 on 10/06/20 at 7:49 am

I actually like Windows 10 the best, with the random lock screen backgrounds, soothing piano sounds, and the virtual desktops that make it easier to multitask. XP brings back memories of the Early-to-Mid 2000's, but I didn't like the error sound. It's hard to describe it but it was like a loud "DUN!"

Written By: Howard on 10/06/20 at 8:17 am

I actually like Windows 10 the best, with the random lock screen backgrounds, soothing piano sounds, and the virtual desktops that make it easier to multitask. XP brings back memories of the Early-to-Mid 2000's, but I didn't like the error sound. It's hard to describe it but it was like a loud "DUN!"

Did it make that sound when it crashed?

Written By: batfan2005 on 10/06/20 at 12:24 pm

Did it make that sound when it crashed?

I'm not sure but it did make that sound a lot. I remember there were many issues saving files/file corruption.

Written By: Howard on 10/06/20 at 1:56 pm

I'm not sure but it did make that sound a lot. I remember there were many issues saving files/file corruption.

When I tried to click off something or x it out it would make that crashing sound then it would tell me that was an error and I would have to restart the damn computer.  ::)

Written By: Slim95 on 10/27/20 at 5:22 pm

Windows XP lasted a a very long time. Support for it only ended in 2014, 12 years after it has been released. It was really just that good.

Check for new replies or respond here...