inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The 2005 throwback thread

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/01/21 at 9:10 am

Happy 2021 everyone! New year means new year to throwback. For this year I choose 2005. Unfortunately due to the pandemic, The Batman got delayed to next year so it's one less thing to have in common, and being a Batfan of course it was the one thing I was looking forward to the most.

neY2xVmOfUM

0habxsuXW4g

Subject: Re: The 2005 throwback thread

Written By: doublejm1 on 01/03/21 at 11:52 pm

I've been a Batman fan since I was a kid, but I feel Batman fatigue is beginning to set in (much like with Spider-Man).

Bale, Affleck, Pattinson.

Ledger, Leto, Phoenix.

I might be in the minority, but I didn't like Batman v. Superman -- nor did I fancy Suicide Squad.

While Phoenix's Joker was great, I still prefer Heath Ledger's interpretation of the maniacal character.

And I absolutely loved Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. The Dark Knight Rises was ok, but not nearly as good as the first two.

Anyhow, 50 Cent, Mariah Carey, Kanye West, The Black Eyed Peas, Green Day, and Gwen Stefani were all the rage that year, with fresh faces like Chris Brown and Rihanna bursting onto the scene.

In terms of movies, Batman Begins, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and The 40 Year-Old Virgin were just some of the year's notable offerings.

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/08/21 at 2:41 pm

I've been a Batman fan since I was a kid, but I feel Batman fatigue is beginning to set in (much like with Spider-Man).

Bale, Affleck, Pattinson.

Ledger, Leto, Phoenix.

I might be in the minority, but I didn't like Batman v. Superman -- nor did I fancy Suicide Squad.

While Phoenix's Joker was great, I still prefer Heath Ledger's interpretation of the maniacal character.

And I absolutely loved Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. The Dark Knight Rises was ok, but not nearly as good as the first two.

Anyhow, 50 Cent, Mariah Carey, Kanye West, The Black Eyed Peas, Green Day, and Gwen Stefani were all the rage that year, with fresh faces like Chris Brown and Rihanna bursting onto the scene.

In terms of movies, Batman Begins, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and The 40 Year-Old Virgin were just some of the year's notable offerings.

I get what you're saying about the Batman fatigue as like Spiderman, with simultaneously releasing different series. I didn't really care too much for Ben Afflek's Batman and Batman vs. Superman was ok as was Suicide Squad. Justice League was better though.

I enjoyed those movies as well and also Star Wars Episode III. I was going to the movies almost every week, sometimes twice a week that year. I remember that year being rated the worst year for movies at least for Oscar material type. It was more for the younger generations.

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/08/21 at 2:47 pm

Rather than start another "16 years ago today thread", I'll just combine it with this one as I try to do that anyway to relive the moments this year at the same time. On that note here is Ashlee Simpson's performance at the Orange Bowl (a few days late, it was on Jan 4). She was booed off stage because this was a few months after the lip syncing fail on SNL. This was uncomfortable to watch and I felt bad for her.

e5YPiBx9MJs

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/11/21 at 6:56 am

Also on January 8, 2005 scientists discovered the dwarf planet of Eris.

https://solarsystem.nasa.gov/planets/dwarf-planets/eris/in-depth/#:~:text=8%20Jan%202005%3A%20Scientists%20using,the%20definition%20of%20a%20planet.

Written By: Howard on 01/11/21 at 7:20 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o21fXqguD7U
From 2005

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/20/21 at 11:34 am

On this day in 2005 George W. Bush was inaugurated for his second term.

NgLI6VcfRO4

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/31/21 at 1:39 pm

Just watched Coach Carter last night, right after watching Lean On Me the night before. They are similar with the exception of a basketball coach instead of a principal. Both characters show tough love who the teens resent at first but then are built up and bond. They both have scenes with padlocking chains on the doors. Also they are both based on true stories.

d_GleoanbPE

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/09/21 at 12:00 pm

A few days late but the Superbowl XXXIX was held on February 6 in Jacksonville, FL in which the Patriots narrowly defeated the Eagles (they rematched in 2018 and this time the Eagles won). The Halftime show was hosted by Paul McCartney which was considered a safe choice following the year before which was remembered for the Janet Jackson incident. During the pre-game Alicia Keys performed "America the Beautiful" as a tribute to the late Ray Charles. But the biggest highlight for me was the premier of "American Dad" immediately post-game.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/14/21 at 2:33 am

'05 is the last year to have that "dreamy" vibe when looking back. I still feel as if 2006 and early 2005 are almost world's apart.

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/14/21 at 7:46 am

'05 is the last year to have that "dreamy" vibe when looking back. I still feel as if 2006 and early 2005 are almost world's apart.

The late 2004/early 2005 (2004-05 school year for those still in school at the time) really did have a fun and dreamy vibe. The later part of 2005 was when things started to feel different. In my personal life it was in November when things started to go downhill.

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/14/21 at 8:00 am

With today being Valentine's Day, here's a throwback to V-Day 2005 when Hitch was the popular date movie.

pYrrEUgnT6s

This song was on the soundtrack for that movie.

bbqVg_23otg

Written By: Slim95 on 02/14/21 at 3:55 pm

The late 2004/early 2005 (2004-05 school year for those still in school at the time) really did have a fun and dreamy vibe. The later part of 2005 was when things started to feel different. In my personal life it was in November when things started to go downhill.

Yeah that's exactly my experience too in experiencing changes in late 2005. I actually moved cities in November of 2005.

2005 is the last year you can safely call "old school" in my opinion. I think it's gonna have that identity for a long while.

Written By: nally on 02/15/21 at 11:46 pm

It was in June when I officially changed my academic major to Liberal Arts.

Also I was having a great time on this site, and lots of different folks used to post here regularly. Now, many of them aren't really here anymore (although most of their accounts still exist), but I am currently in touch with a handful of them on Facebook.

Written By: doublejm1 on 02/16/21 at 8:42 am

2005 is the last year you can safely call "old school" in my opinion. I think it's gonna have that identity for a long while.

I agree. I was still using CD players and dial-up internet in 2005. It wasn't until the following year that I finally upgraded to an iPod and to Broadband.

I think 2005 carried the last vestiges of the 90s. Even music started sounded more cutting edge in 2006 with the release of Justin Timberlake's "FutureSex/LoveSounds" and Nelly Furtado's "Loose."

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/16/21 at 1:35 pm

I might be rare among my Boomer generation, but I like the "Charlie & The Chocolate Factory" remake better than the classic 1971 "Willie Wonka & The Chocolate Factory". Some people thought Johnny Depp was doing Michael Jackson but he says he was doing Anna Wintour. Once he said it, it's pretty obvious. That goofy inverse flip (or whatever it's called) hairdo  she has, the bug eyed sunglasses, the pallid skin. He nailed it.

Written By: nally on 02/16/21 at 4:40 pm

I agree. I was still using CD players and dial-up internet in 2005.

I still have a CD player in my household! And it works like a charm.

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/17/21 at 6:00 pm

It was in June when I officially changed my academic major to Liberal Arts.

Also I was having a great time on this site, and lots of different folks used to post here regularly. Now, many of them aren't really here anymore (although most of their accounts still exist), but I am currently in touch with a handful of them on Facebook.

I was just thinking of some of the regular posters from that time and wondering how they are doing.

I agree. I was still using CD players and dial-up internet in 2005. It wasn't until the following year that I finally upgraded to an iPod and to Broadband.

I think 2005 carried the last vestiges of the 90s. Even music started sounded more cutting edge in 2006 with the release of Justin Timberlake's "FutureSex/LoveSounds" and Nelly Furtado's "Loose."

Now that's stretching it a bit. I think the last of the vestiges (I actually learned a new word, I had to look it up) from the 90's were gone in 2004 when "Friends" ended. The first half of 2005 did have some Early 2000's leftovers like 50 Cent and other glam rap/R&B. People on here have always made JT's FS/LS album to be like Nirvana'a "Nevermind", but I didn't think it was that revolutionary.

I might be rare among my Boomer generation, but I like the "Charlie & The Chocolate Factory" remake better than the classic 1971 "Willie Wonka & The Chocolate Factory". Some people thought Johnny Depp was doing Michael Jackson but he says he was doing Anna Wintour. Once he said it, it's pretty obvious. That goofy inverse flip (or whatever it's called) hairdo  she has, the bug eyed sunglasses, the pallid skin. He nailed it.

I thought I was the only one period, of any generation. I actually enjoyed the Tim Burton/Johnny Depp combo in that. I also liked the Oompa-Loompa's songs, they were pretty catchy.

Written By: doublejm1 on 02/17/21 at 10:16 pm

People on here have always made JT's FS/LS album to be like Nirvana'a "Nevermind", but I didn't think it was that revolutionary.

If not revolutionary, that album was basically flawless. Every single -- My Love, SexyBack, LoveStoned, What Goes Around Comes Around, Summer Love -- was a hit.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/17/21 at 10:35 pm

Well it was kind of revolutionary. It kicked off the whole electro pop trend. There weren't any songs like Sexy Back before.

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/18/21 at 6:25 am

If not revolutionary, that album was basically flawless. Every single -- My Love, SexyBack, LoveStoned, What Goes Around Comes Around, Summer Love -- was a hit.

Probably one of the only good albums of 2006. That and Nelly Furtado's "Loose".

Well it was kind of revolutionary. It kicked off the whole electro pop trend. There weren't any songs like Sexy Back before.

That may have kicked off the mini sub-genre of the Timbaland produced tracks like JT and Nelly Furtado, and 2007 had Timbaland's "The Way I Are" and 50 Cent's "Ayo Technology" (feat. JT), but that sub-era was short lived (Madonna released an album in 2008 produced by him which if I remember correctly didn't do very well). There was already a lot of electro pop around. Anyhow 1 or 2 albums is not enough to change the entire culture, and 2006 was the most culturally bland year of the 2000's so nothing really left a significant impact, but that's for the 2006 thread.

As I stated before, I feel that Fall of 2005 was when I felt more of a significant change and that it was no longer the 2001-2004 vibe, but I'll get more into that when we get to Fall of this year. For now, here's a guilty pleasure song that was played out back in 2005 but now that song and her "L.A.M.B." album brings back nostalgic memories of the Spring of that year:

Kgjkth6BRRY

Btw, I think this is what started the electro pop trend. Granted it was more hip-hop based and not as much synth as JT's, but it was pretty unique and ahead of its time when the music was more dominated by crunk/bling rap.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/18/21 at 6:02 pm

Probably one of the only good albums of 2006. That and Nelly Furtado's "Loose".

That may have kicked off the mini sub-genre of the Timbaland produced tracks like JT and Nelly Furtado, and 2007 had Timbaland's "The Way I Are" and 50 Cent's "Ayo Technology" (feat. JT), but that sub-era was short lived (Madonna released an album in 2008 produced by him which if I remember correctly didn't do very well). There was already a lot of electro pop around. Anyhow 1 or 2 albums is not enough to change the entire culture, and 2006 was the most culturally bland year of the 2000's so nothing really left a significant impact, but that's for the 2006 thread.

As I stated before, I feel that Fall of 2005 was when I felt more of a significant change and that it was no longer the 2001-2004 vibe, but I'll get more into that when we get to Fall of this year. For now, here's a guilty pleasure song that was played out back in 2005 but now that song and her "L.A.M.B." album brings back nostalgic memories of the Spring of that year:

Kgjkth6BRRY

Btw, I think this is what started the electro pop trend. Granted it was more hip-hop based and not as much synth as JT's, but it was pretty unique and ahead of its time when the music was more dominated by crunk/bling rap.

Sexy Back had a unique synth to it though.

I do agree late '05 had a shift as well. That's where it started.

Written By: nally on 02/19/21 at 11:10 pm

I was just thinking of some of the regular posters from that time and wondering how they are doing.

I still wonder myself.

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/03/21 at 9:02 am

Now that it's March, here's throwback to March '05:

SRcnnId15BA

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/12/21 at 9:32 am

Anyone remember this movie? It was released around this time (actually yesterday's date of March 11) in 2005.

zyLI71Z0RF4

The song featured in the trailer was "Won't Get Fooled Again" by The Who. On that note, I noticed there was a bit of early 70's nostalgia in 2005. From this to the remakes of "Willy Wonka" and "The Longest Yard".

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/17/21 at 2:20 pm

One thing I remember about 2005 is all the complaints about the movies, the lack of good quality movies at least for Oscar material. Most of the complaints came from the Boomers and Early Gen X audience, and the production companies from the loss of box office revenue. It seemed like the box office was more targeted toward the late Gen Y/early Gen Z cuspers who were kids at the time. Nonetheless, here's list of movies I enjoyed or would like to see, and are on my watchlist for this year:

Batman Begins (of course, look at my username)
Star Wars Episode III
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Fantastic Four
Mr. and Mrs. Smith
Dukes of Hazzard
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Wedding Crashers
The 40 Year Old Virgin
The Longest Yard
Cinderella Man
Crash
Hitch
Be Cool
Hustle & Flow
Four Brothers
Are We There Yet?
Coach Carter
Sin City
Sahara
War of the Worlds
The Island
Stealth
Grizzly Man
March of the Penguins
Madagascar
Robots
Chicken Little
Kingdom of Heaven
Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo
Jarhead
Walk the Line
Pride & Prejudice
King Kong
Capote
Munich
Rent
Just Like Heaven
The Man
Saw II
Rumor Has It
Fun With Dick and Jane
Derailed
Waiting
Just Friends
Chronicles of Narnia: Lion, Witch, and Wardrobe
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

I may have left some out. This watchlist is going to keep me busy, lol.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/17/21 at 3:11 pm

Now that it's March, here's throwback to March '05:

SRcnnId15BA

It's scary when you realize a song that was number 1 when you were in school is old as hell now.

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/24/21 at 2:42 pm

On this day in 2005 the PSP was released, in North America anyways (in Japan it was released in December 2004).

ikU-U-Z6q04

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/09/21 at 12:30 pm

I remember this song being popular around March/April of '05:

PIh07c_P4hc

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/21/21 at 7:54 am

I'm a few weeks late and I meant to post this on April 2, but on that day in 2005 Pope John Paul II passed away. The papacy of Pope Benedict XVI began on April 19.

Written By: violet_shy on 04/21/21 at 3:05 pm

In 2005 I was anti-social and self centered. I mean I wanted to socialize, but it wasn't always easy for me to find friends. So I did my own thing. I use to write journals about my everyday thoughts and experiences. I still have the journals in storage. And there they will stay for the next 50 years! I haven't read them in ages. Lol.

Written By: Slim95 on 04/21/21 at 3:07 pm

In 2005 I moved provinces and I was 10 years old.  :P It's so long ago now but I have vivid memories of being on the plane and moving to my new city and house. Some memories are so clear it feels like yesterday! But it was 16 years ago. Crazy.

Written By: Slim95 on 04/21/21 at 3:10 pm

Looking back while it's true there was better music back then, 2005 had its fair share of bad music too. For example, 50 Cent's song "Candy Shop" and Gwen Steffani's "Hollaback Girl". You slowly started to see bad music pop up in '05 but then it completely went awful the year after in 2006 (like Fergie's London Bridge and many more bad songs).

Written By: kr37 on 04/21/21 at 5:06 pm

I was 7 years old and turned 8 years old in 2005. I'm trying to remember things from that year, I can't think of many specific memories... I was in first grade in the spring and second grade in the fall, and I moved to a new house. I was interested in animals and I wanted to get a dog. I was interested in cars and I liked looking through the ads for new and used cars that came with the newspaper.
I also wrote in journals about my day, like jessica_ann, but I didn't start until 2011. It is interesting now to be able to see what I was doing a decade ago though.

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/23/21 at 6:59 am

Looking back while it's true there was better music back then, 2005 had its fair share of bad music too. For example, 50 Cent's song "Candy Shop" and Gwen Steffani's "Hollaback Girl". You slowly started to see bad music pop up in '05 but then it completely went awful the year after in 2006 (like Fergie's London Bridge and many more bad songs).

I actually liked Candy Shop and Hollaback Girl, and even My Humps. Those were guilty pleasure songs that take me back and bring back nice memories of that year. I remember in late 2006/early 2007 when Gwen Stefani followed up with her Sweet Escape album. One song on there (Wind It Up) sampled the yodeling song from The Sound of Music, much like how "Rich Girl" from her L.A.M.B. album sampled another musical score, from "Fiddler on the Roof".

Written By: Slim95 on 04/23/21 at 12:11 pm

I actually liked Candy Shop and Hollaback Girl, and even My Humps. Those were guilty pleasure songs that take me back and bring back nice memories of that year. I remember in late 2006/early 2007 when Gwen Stefani followed up with her Sweet Escape album. One song on there (Wind It Up) sampled the yodeling song from The Sound of Music, much like how "Rich Girl" from her L.A.M.B. album sampled another musical score, from "Fiddler on the Roof".

Thanks for reminding me of My Humps, another terrible song.  8-P

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/05/21 at 12:51 pm

On this day in 2005 was 05/05/05, which according the Michael Scott in "The Office" (also from that year) said that only happens about once in a million years, lol.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/05/21 at 12:53 pm

On this day in 2005 was 05/05/05, which according the Michael Scott in "The Office" (also from that year) said that only happens about once in a million years, lol.

Hahaha

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/10/21 at 12:05 pm

Just watched this last night. This one's a classic and one of my favorite films of the Spring of 2005. I've always liked the aesthetics, visual effects, dynamic characters, and of course the humor.

eLdiWe_HJv4

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/10/21 at 12:08 pm

Just watched this last night. This one's a classic and one of my favorite films of the Spring of 2005. I've always liked the aesthetics, visual effects, dynamic characters, and of course the humor.

eLdiWe_HJv
I was disappointed with that film for I experienced the original broadcast on the radio and television series for the late 1970s and early 1980s, and to mention reading the books on publications.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/11/21 at 6:34 am

It was this day in 2001 – Douglas Adams, English author, screenwriter, essayist, humorist, satirist and dramatist, died of a heart attack due to undiagnosed coronary artery disease.

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/15/21 at 8:07 pm

Here are two songs I remember that were popular around this time in 2005:

_Z_5lpErdyM

AdJtw7vS1E8

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/21/21 at 9:13 pm

On May 19 this movie was released, and I watched it again tonight.

qIYyXcCwvKc

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/09/21 at 7:45 am

One of my favorite summer films, mainly because of Angelina ;D Also Brangelina like many celebrity couples was a major part of the pop-culture of 2005, along with the Team Angelina vs. Team Jennifer thing.

CZ0B22z22pI

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/25/21 at 7:11 am

Today is the day that The Batman was originally going to be released if not for the delays caused mainly by the pandemic. On the day 10 days ago in 2005 (June 15) Batman Begins was released. It's hard to believe that movie is as old now as the 1989 Batman was when Batman Begins was released. That's why I'm bummed The Batman got delayed, otherwise it would have followed an even 16 years apart pattern for the release of the first of a reboot series.

I've already posted the trailer in the first post, so instead here's a video comparing Batman Begins (2005) vs. Batman (1989):

j1a7vz3t-dg

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/07/21 at 7:06 am

On this day (July 7, 2005) was when the London Underground bombings happened.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/07/21 at 7:07 am

On this day (July 7, 2005) was when the London Underground bombings happened.
:\'( :\'( :\'(

A sad day indeed, of which I remember well. It caused confusion at my work that day.

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/16/21 at 9:01 pm

One day late but on July 15, 2005 this movie was released.

OFVGCUIXJls

I liked the scores by the Oompa-Loompas, they were catchy, especially the one for Veruca Salt.

gtf9nmtTC7Q

It's just weird to think that the kids in that movie are all now in their late 20's if not 30's.

Written By: nally on 07/16/21 at 9:12 pm

One day late but on July 15, 2005 this movie was released.

I liked the scores by the Oompa-Loompas, they were catchy, especially the one for Veruca Salt.

It's just weird to think that the kids in that movie are all now in their late 20's if not 30's.

Well it has been 16 years now. Amazing, but true. :o

One particular scene I found interesting (in one sense) was this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu_3z8Ul7OQ

And to a lesser extent, this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRK0d8VTlDw

Written By: violet_shy on 07/18/21 at 1:29 pm

I remember when War of the Worlds(2005) was released, I watched it with my family. It was the scariest movie!

jaasIlkad1Q                   

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/19/21 at 7:58 am

I remember when War of the Worlds(2005) was released, I watched it with my family. It was the scariest movie!

jaasIlkad1Q                   

This was also one of my summer favorites. It was pretty suspenseful and ominous. The recent movie "The Tomorrow War" kind of reminded me of this one.

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/26/21 at 1:09 pm

Just watched this last weekend. Also one of my favorites. Didn't see it when it was first in theaters but I first watched in on the flight to Paris that November, so that's why it makes me feel nostalgic. The movie was set in the year 2019, when it was believed there will be sky trains in LA, Amtrak maglev trains, jet bikes, and of course a facility of human clones.

_ZyNJ3cKfEg

Written By: batfan2005 on 08/06/21 at 7:45 am

2 songs I remember being popular around this time in '05.

uhG-vLZrb-g

HyHNuVaZJ-k

Written By: doublejm1 on 08/08/21 at 8:19 am

2005 was a great year in music.

Rock/alternative music was at its height that year; in fact, some of my all-time favorite tracks were released in 2005:

- Mr. Brightside - The Killers
- Helena - My Chemical Romance
- Pieces - Sum 41
- American Idiot - Green Day (released in 2004 but still popular in 2005)
- Feel Good Inc. - Gorillas

It was a big year for Mariah Carey, Green Day, 50 Cent, Kanye West, Kelly Clarkson, and Gwen Stefani.

And the Hip Hop/R&B Freshman class of 2005 included such notable names as Chris Brown, Rihanna, and T-Pain. Not too shabby.

Written By: batfan2005 on 08/10/21 at 3:25 pm

2005 was a great year in music.

Rock/alternative music was at its height that year; in fact, some of my all-time favorite tracks were released in 2005:

- Mr. Brightside - The Killers
- Helena - My Chemical Romance
- Pieces - Sum 41
- American Idiot - Green Day (released in 2004 but still popular in 2005)
- Feel Good Inc. - Gorillas

It was a big year for Mariah Carey, Green Day, 50 Cent, Kanye West, Kelly Clarkson, and Gwen Stefani.

And the Hip Hop/R&B Freshman class of 2005 included such notable names as Chris Brown, Rihanna, and T-Pain. Not too shabby.

Those were good songs/albums. I still consider "American Idiot" as a late 2004 song, but another song off their album that was popular in 2005, particularly in September was "Wake Me Up When September Ends". I also remember Rihanna's first hit song "Pon de Replay" in the late summer which had a reggae/dancehall sound. Kanye West and The Black Eyed Peas released their sophomore albums. My favorite Mariah Carey song from her album was "Say Something" and I also liked "Shake It Off", more than "We Belong Together" as at the time I thought that one was overplayed.

In addition, one of my favorite albums I remember listening to in the early part of the year (released in late 2004) was Snoop Dogg's R&G. Also Ludacris's Red Light District. I hate to admit I liked R. Kelly's "Trapped in the Closet" but only the first song (chapter). Another one of my favorite songs was "Touch" by Omarion. Also from that summer was "Lose Control" by Missy Elliott.

Written By: batfan2005 on 08/29/21 at 7:54 am

On this day (August 29, 2005) Hurricane Katrina struck the Louisiana coast as a Cat 4 and the worst hurricane in recent history, especially since it broke the levy which flooded New Orleans. This was probably the biggest news story of 2005.

Meanwhile today Hurricane Ida is projected to strike Louisiana as a Cat 4.

Written By: nally on 08/29/21 at 1:37 pm

On this day (August 29, 2005) Hurricane Katrina struck the Louisiana coast as a Cat 4 and the worst hurricane in recent history, especially since it broke the levy which flooded New Orleans. This was probably the biggest news story of 2005.

Meanwhile today Hurricane Ida is projected to strike Louisiana as a Cat 4.

Yep, who'da thought that the 16th anniversary of Katrina would be marked with another Cat4 hurricane? :(

Written By: batfan2005 on 08/29/21 at 4:12 pm

Yep, who'da thought that the 16th anniversary of Katrina would be marked with another Cat4 hurricane? :(

And for wishing 2021 to be like 2005, this wasn't what I had in mind.

Written By: batfan2005 on 09/27/21 at 8:50 pm

2005 had a lot of good TV shows that premiered that year including:

American Dad
The Office
HIMYM
Everybody Hates Chris
Mind of Mencia
The War at Home
Stacked
My Name is Earl
Prison Break
Grey's Anatomy

Written By: batfan2005 on 11/14/21 at 4:40 pm

Lately I've been feeling a lot more nostalgic about 2005 than I've ever been. It's mainly because around this time of these last few weeks in 2005 I was traveling around Europe. I would repeat that entire trip if I had the chance. I was planning a trip with my wife for last week, not to Europe but to Chicago/Great Lakes area which got postponed for the spring for work related reasons (very typical of the early 2020's). What I wouldn't give to be 26 again, back in 2005 posting MySpace blogs.

Written By: batfan2005 on 11/17/21 at 9:15 pm

I remember this song being popular in November of '05. I first heard it (saw this MV) in my hotel room on my last night in Paris before flying back to the States.

EDwb9jOVRtU

Written By: batfan2005 on 11/27/21 at 4:09 pm

Here are some songs I remember from around this time in '05.

uizQVriWp8M

This one was from the movie "Just Friends", which was also released just before Thanksgiving of 2005, which btw is one my favorite holiday movies (if you count it as a Christmas movie, not any less than "Die Hard"). Nonetheless the comedy in that movie was classic, and really took on the Hollywood celebrity culture of the time. Also there were some signs of 90's nostalgia.

nfiw-XIsFwM

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/19/21 at 3:29 pm

I remember this is the first YouTube video I watched, that was sent in an email link.

sRhTeaa_B98

I also watched the first Chronicles of Narnia the other day. It's not really a Christmas movie but it does have the winter wonderland vibe, and there is one scene with Santa. I've also always liked the books and wish they would have finished making all the films based on all seven books, but they stopped after the first three. I also remember seeing the BBC made for TV version of the movies back in the late 80's/early 90's when I was a kid.

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/31/21 at 7:50 am

Here's my summary of all the things I think 2005 is remembered for:

Movies - Star Wars Ep III, Batman Begins, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Fantastic Four, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, Hitch, Cinderalla Man, Crash, War of the Worlds, Wedding Crashers, 40 Year Old Virgin
Music - Mariah Carey's Emancipation of Mimi album, Kanye West's "Gold Digger", Kelly Clarkson, Green Day, Gwen Stefani, Black Eyed Peas "My Humps", Chris Brown, Omarion, T-Pain, snap rap
TV - The Office, HIMYM, Prison Break, My Name is Earl, Everybody Hates Chris, Mind of Mencia, American Dad, Grey's Anatomy
Video Games/trends - PSP, Xbox 360, MySpace and YouTube (web 2.0)
News events - Hurricane Katrina, new pope, London tube bombings, Michael Jackson trial
Pop culture news - Paris Hilton's Carl's Jr/Hardees commercial, Tom Cruise jumping on the couch on Oprah, Britney and K-Fed, Brad and Angelina/Jennifer Anniston drama

Written By: doublejm1 on 01/04/22 at 12:39 am

Batfan2005,

I think you'll appreciate this video:

https://youtu.be/1-qfZ0mDb2k

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/09/22 at 8:20 pm

Batfan2005,

I think you'll appreciate this video:

https://youtu.be/1-qfZ0mDb2k

Yes, I did. Thank you for sharing it! I like how those videos share every little detail about each year, even things that most people don't remember.

Check for new replies or respond here...