inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: I Wish The Early 2000s Never Went Away

Written By: Slim95 on 02/02/21 at 5:06 pm

I really wish early '00s culture didn't go away so quickly. I know the reality is that cultural trends change, but it just seemed to start to decline after 2002. It went by quickjly and as a young child I didn't have that much time to enjoy it. If I grew up with that culture only, and not mid '00s culture, it would be sick. It was a kick butt time... Mid '00s weren't bad. But the early 2000s was amazing. Just imagine if we had a similar culture throughout the entire 2000s decade?

Subject: Re: I Wish The Early 2000s Never Went Away

Written By: Ripley on 02/03/21 at 4:42 am

Yeah the early 2000’s were pretty great and underrated in my opinion.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/03/21 at 10:16 am

The early 200s had 9/11. In the aftermath of 9/11 people really came together. It may have been short lived, but there was a feeling of unity. For those who weren't born or were too young to remember, I can tell you there really WAS a sense of unity. Now the virus has brought out the ugly side of people. Nobody is united. There's the people who think masks are good, masks are bad, the virus is a hoax, etc, etc. People gathering in big groups...The way people are acting like jerks I have lost some faith in humanity. But the fact that people are so fragmented about the virus is also a reflection of today's bigger culture. Nothing is unified. Everybody is in a silo of their own (or social media's) making.

Written By: Contigo on 02/03/21 at 11:09 am

The early 200s had 9/11. In the aftermath of 9/11 people really came together. It may have been short lived, but there was a feeling of unity. For those who weren't born or were too young to remember, I can tell you there really WAS a sense of unity. Now the virus has brought out the ugly side of people. Nobody is united. There's the people who think masks are good, masks are bad, the virus is a hoax, etc, etc. People gathering in big groups...The way people are acting like jerks I have lost some faith in humanity. But the fact that people are so fragmented about the virus is also a reflection of today's bigger culture. Nothing is unified. Everybody is in a silo of their own (or social media's) making.

Very true .
We live in a polarized society.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/03/21 at 11:22 am

Very true .
We live in a polarized society.

There's kind of a specific reason why things are so polarized, and the media has a lot to do with it. It wasn't just because of Trump. I strongly suggest that people read this article "The Media’s 10 Rules of Hate" by respected journalist Matt Taibbi. He knows what he's talking about, and it will all make sense to you.

https://washingtonspectator.org/taibbi-10rulesofhate/

Written By: wagonman76 on 02/03/21 at 2:29 pm

There's kind of a specific reason why things are so polarized, and the media has a lot to do with it. It wasn't just because of Trump. I strongly suggest that people read this article "The Media’s 10 Rules of Hate" by respected journalist Matt Taibbi. He knows what he's talking about, and it will all make sense to you.

My mom and I watched a documentary called The Social Dilemma. That explains quite a bit too.

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/03/21 at 4:01 pm

I was thinking if 9/11 were to happen today the feeling of unity may have lasted about a week or two if that, and then it would have become a political blame game and conspiracy theories on social media. I remember in March of last year there was the "we'll get through this together" spirit but that soon faded away with the whole anti-mask/my freedom crowds.

Yeah, Social Dilemma was a good documentary, a reality check for how our society is now.

Written By: Contigo on 02/03/21 at 6:01 pm

Now that's an excellent article. I encourage everyone  to read it.  Yes the media has a huge part in fueling the hate and polarization, over the last 10 years or so.

Written By: robocop on 05/28/22 at 2:08 pm

The early 2000s had 9/11. In the aftermath of 9/11 people really came together. It may have been short lived, but there was a feeling of unity. For those who weren't born or were too young to remember, I can tell you there really WAS a sense of unity.

This is what I have been reminiscing on recently. Although I am from the UK, I followed plenty of news from the USA and elsewhere and I did get this feeling of being united in the face of adversity after 9/11. Even subconsciously and that there was a similar subconscious feeling of unity in most of the world, not just the USA.
As for how long it lasted I would be curious to hear your estimates. I would say the Iraq War in March 2003 absolutely broke up any such feelings of unity and that bitterly divided people in a manner not seen since the Vietnam War years.

Written By: 90skid93 on 06/06/22 at 2:24 am

I agree with this the early 2000s were the best part of the 2000s decade.

Check for new replies or respond here...