inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The most Y2K game ever

Written By: NightmareFarm on 04/11/21 at 9:59 am

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a7/Ffxboxart.jpg

Subject: Re: The most Y2K game ever

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/11/21 at 12:44 pm

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a7/Ffxboxart.jpg
How popular was any subsidiary games of The Legend of Zelda then?

Written By: NightmareFarm on 04/11/21 at 2:09 pm

How popular was any subsidiary games of The Legend of Zelda then?

Dunno. Wind waker might have been popular back then.

Written By: AstroPoug on 04/12/21 at 5:06 pm

I like FFX just fine, but my vote for Y2K era gaming would have to be Jet Set Radio honestly. The aesthetic, the skating, the "rad" culture, and it's a Dreamcast game (a console that only spans the Y2K era). Other close favorites would be Space Channel 5, and Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2.

Written By: NightmareFarm on 04/12/21 at 6:26 pm

I like FFX just fine, but my vote for Y2K era gaming would have to be Jet Set Radio honestly. The aesthetic, the skating, the "rad" culture, and it's a Dreamcast game (a console that only spans the Y2K era). Other close favorites would be Space Channel 5, and Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2.

Skatings more of a mid 00s thing.

FFX checked of a lot of Y2K boxes like Y2K futurism, a water/beach theme, Y2K fashion like baggy pants, tans, hairstyles and chains, vibrant colours. Just in general filled with Y2K vibes.

Written By: AstroPoug on 04/12/21 at 7:05 pm

Skatings more of a mid 00s thing.

FFX checked of a lot of Y2K boxes like Y2K futurism, a water/beach theme, Y2K fashion like baggy pants, tans, hairstyles and chains, vibrant colours. Just in general filled with Y2K vibes.

Nah skating's definitely a Y2K era thing. Remember Rocket Power? And games like Jet Set Radio and Space Channel 5 also had vibrant colors.
If water themes count for Y2K era (though it's really more early 2000s since this really wasn't a late 90s thing at all actually), then you could also have Super Mario Sunshine, Zelda: Wind Waker, Pokemon Ruby and Emerald (the games that spawned the infamous "too much water" review from IGN), and you REALLY wanna stretch it, we also have the licensed games based off SpongeBob, Finding Nemo, and Shark Tale.

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/12/21 at 8:53 pm

When I think of the Y2K era for gaming I associate it with the PS1 and N64 consoles. That said, notable games include the Crash Bandicoot series, Zelda Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, 007 Goldeneye, Donkey Kong 64, early MGS series. Also the Sega Dreamcast and Gameboy Advance consoles. Also the early Pokemon games like Gold and Silver for Gameboy Color.

Written By: NightmareFarm on 04/12/21 at 9:28 pm

Nah skating's definitely a Y2K era thing. Remember Rocket Power? And games like Jet Set Radio and Space Channel 5 also had vibrant colors.
If water themes count for Y2K era (though it's really more early 2000s since this really wasn't a late 90s thing at all actually), then you could also have Super Mario Sunshine, Zelda: Wind Waker, Pokemon Ruby and Emerald (the games that spawned the infamous "too much water" review from IGN), and you REALLY wanna stretch it, we also have the licensed games based off SpongeBob, Finding Nemo, and Shark Tale.

Skating is associated with the early 00s and mid 00s. Arguably more so the mid 00s. So it's not exactly unique to the y2k era.

And I know that a lot of y2k games were water themed which is my point. The beach aesthetic is synonymous with y2k and Final Fantasy X has a very heavy and consistent beach/sea/water theme.

Check for new replies or respond here...