inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Blu-Ray - Dead on Arrival?

Written By: Slim95 on 04/15/21 at 11:24 am

I don't know about you guys but I barely knew anyone who hopped on the Blu-Ray train. Most people said it was too similar to DVDs and that DVDs or HD DVDs were good enough. Blu-Ray really didn't go anywhere and was dead on arrival. Streaming also came shortly after which further ended its life. Most people just switched from DVDs to streaming and Blu Ray was just this weird thing no one used in between the switch.

Subject: Re: Blu-Ray - Dead on Arrival?

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/15/21 at 11:27 am

I don't know about you guys but I barely knew anyone who hopped on the Blu-Ray train. Most people said it was too similar to DVDs and that DVDs or HD DVDs were good enough. Blu-Ray really didn't go anywhere and was dead on arrival. Streaming also came shortly after which further ended its life. Most people just switched from DVDs to streaming and Blu Ray was just this weird thing no one used in between the switch.
Indeed, why ditch your massive collection of DVDs to the same films (purchased again) on a new format.

Written By: Slim95 on 04/15/21 at 11:28 am

Indeed, why ditch your massive collection of DVDs to the same films (purchased again) on a new format.

Yeah especially when it was so similar (especially to HD DVD). Blu Ray had no point.

The funniest thing is I remember "experts" saying how Blu Ray would be everywhere in the 2010s and how important it was. They completely missed the ball and forgot the internet exists and that streaming would be the next big thing.  ;D

Written By: wagonman76 on 04/15/21 at 11:38 am

Yeah especially when it was so similar (especially to HD DVD). Blu Ray had no point.

The funniest thing is I remember "experts" saying how Blu Ray would be everywhere in the 2010s and how important it was. They completely missed the ball and forgot the internet exists and that streaming would be the next big thing.  ;D

That’s as long as internet capable of streaming is everywhere. But in many places it’s not. The last 2 people I dated had blu ray players and a collection. Not worth ditching your existing dvds but for buying new films they went blu ray.

Myself I don’t have one but I have only a handful of dvds anyway. Most of my stuff is vhs tapes on a crt tv. I don’t care for most films of the last decade.

Written By: Slim95 on 04/15/21 at 11:40 am

That’s as long as internet capable of streaming is everywhere. But in many places it’s not. The last 2 people I dated had blu ray players and a collection. Not worth ditching your existing dvds but for buying new films they went blu ray.

Myself I don’t have one but I have only a handful of dvds anyway. Most of my stuff is vhs tapes on a crt tv. I don’t care for most films of the last decade.

No one uses physical media anymore. It is all about streaming now. Blu Ray hasn't even replaced DVDs in the late 2000s as well. It was a major fail. Experts apperently forgot a thing called the internet exists which would be capable of streaming.

Written By: wagonman76 on 04/15/21 at 1:35 pm

No one uses physical media anymore. It is all about streaming now. Blu Ray hasn't even replaced DVDs in the late 2000s as well. It was a major fail. Experts apperently forgot a thing called the internet exists which would be capable of streaming.

Streaming quality internet does not exist in many places. Not everyone lives in urban centers where it’s pretty much taken for granted.

Written By: Slim95 on 04/15/21 at 1:39 pm

Streaming quality internet does not exist in many places. Not everyone lives in urban centers where it’s pretty much taken for granted.

That's not even the point of this thread.

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/15/21 at 5:15 pm

I was collecting Blu-rays for about 10 years. My first one was Spider-Man 3 (2007) and my last one was in 2016 (I believe it was Captain America: Civil War if I remember correctly).

Written By: Slim95 on 04/15/21 at 5:16 pm

Yeah but if you don't stream most people use dvds still opposed to blu ray.

Written By: whistledog on 04/16/21 at 10:52 pm

DVDs can get easily scratched and are prone to disc rot.  I've had a few DVDs that got disc rot, and it was not good.  I lost quite a few TV show sets because of it

I've not yet heard of disc rot being common on Blu-rays.  I own a mass amount of blu-rays and they are fine.  I don't really care about picture quality between DVD and blu-ray.  I like blu-rays for the smaller sized cases and the fact that they can hold more content.  Early in DVD production, some movies that were over 2 hours in length could not fit on one side, so you had to flip the DVD over to watch the rest of the movie.

Written By: Slim95 on 04/16/21 at 11:01 pm

DVDs can get easily scratched and are prone to disc rot.  I've had a few DVDs that got disc rot, and it was not good.  I lost quite a few TV show sets because of it

I've not yet heard of disc rot being common on Blu-rays.  I own a mass amount of blu-rays and they are fine.  I don't really care about picture quality between DVD and blu-ray.  I like blu-rays for the smaller sized cases and the fact that they can hold more content.  Early in DVD production, some movies that were over 2 hours in length could not fit on one side, so you had to flip the DVD over to watch the rest of the movie.

But most people didn't shift over despite that.

Written By: whistledog on 04/17/21 at 1:53 am

But most people didn't shift over despite that.

Maybe not shift over, completely, but going forward, a lot of people might opt for the blu-ray if a movie they are buying.  Smaller case, plus most blu-rays come with the DVD as well

I still buy DVDs, but only if it's something I really want to own, and it's either not available on blu-ray at all, or it is, but at a ridiculous price I don't want to pay

Written By: NightmareFarm on 04/17/21 at 8:47 am

What do you mean dead on arrival? Blu ray was pretty popular before streaming completely dominated. It pretty much killed off DVD.

Written By: Slim95 on 04/17/21 at 2:15 pm

What do you mean dead on arrival? Blu ray was pretty popular before streaming completely dominated. It pretty much killed off DVD.

No it didn't lol. It was all over the news how Blu Ray never caught up with the use of DVDs.

Written By: AstroPoug on 04/17/21 at 3:50 pm

Blu-Ray was popular, but not for too long. Streaming was getting more popular in the early 2010s, but there was a brief period between 2007 (when Blu-Ray began to win the HD format war) and 2010 (when streaming REALLY started to take off when Blu-Ray was actually popular. It was a short-lived format much like Betamax (which peaked from 1975 to 1978).
People forget just how distinctive and weird the late 2000s were. Remember, Cartoon Network aired live-action shows and we watched FRED and Spadinner YTPs. Of course we thought Blu-Ray was cool back then.

Written By: Slim95 on 04/17/21 at 5:59 pm

Blu-Ray was popular, but not for too long. Streaming was getting more popular in the early 2010s, but there was a brief period between 2007 (when Blu-Ray began to win the HD format war) and 2010 (when streaming REALLY started to take off when Blu-Ray was actually popular. It was a short-lived format much like Betamax (which peaked from 1975 to 1978).
People forget just how distinctive and weird the late 2000s were. Remember, Cartoon Network aired live-action shows and we watched FRED and Spadinner YTPs. Of course we thought Blu-Ray was cool back then.

Blu-Ray never surpassed DVD usage.

Written By: NightmareFarm on 04/18/21 at 12:04 am

No it didn't lol. It was all over the news how Blu Ray never caught up with the use of DVDs.

Are you talking about the use of DVDs in the 00s compared to Blu Ray in the 10s or both in the 10s? Because when I mentioned buying a DVD last year someone referred to them as ancient and thought I would buy the Blu Ray instead.

Written By: whistledog on 04/18/21 at 12:09 am

Are you talking about the use of DVDs in the 00s compared to Blu Ray in the 10s or both in the 10s? Because when I mentioned buying a DVD last year someone referred to them as ancient and thought I would buy the Blu Ray instead.

The only people who really buy DVDs now is if either it's the only way you can get it, or those people don't have blu-ray because DVDs suit them just fine.  Which is fine.  Like the old saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.  I've been upgrading my Blu-rays to 4K if the price is right, and with that, it shows you the downfall of DVD as most 4Ks come with the Blu-ray.  Some Blu-Ray movies don't even come with the DVD

The only DVDs I own are ones you cannot get on blu-ray or 4K

Written By: Slim95 on 04/18/21 at 12:37 am

It is ancient. But even though Blu Ray is newer, Blu Ray feels even more ancient because it never caught up to DVDs in terms of usage rate both in the '00s and '10s. Now streaming took over both but even today, DVDs are still the more common physical format opposed to Blu Ray. My point is it never caught on to the general public. If you asked my 70 year old father what a Blu Ray is he wouldn't know... But he does know what a DVD is.

Heck, I am a 26 year old and even I have never owned a Blu Ray player or even touched a Blu Ray disk in my hand... But I still have lots of old DVDs collecting dust in my drawers as I stream movies...

Written By: duenas8 on 05/13/21 at 5:32 pm

I think there’s so little innovation in the physical media to make it attractive.
I would really love a type of BluRay where a whole TV show fits in just one disc

Written By: 2001 on 05/13/21 at 6:03 pm

Slim is right. Even in the late 2000s and early 2010s DVD was way way waaay more popular than Blu-ray. Blu-ray has always been a niche thing. Society went from DVD to piracy/digital download (not shown) to streaming, there was no Blu-ray phase.

https://fm-static.cnbc.com/awsmedia/chart/2019/11/08/VIDEO%20MARKET.1573232240621.png?w=678&h=381

https://thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/111119-1500

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/13/21 at 8:35 pm

Slim is right. Even in the late 2000s and early 2010s DVD was way way waaay more popular than Blu-ray. Blu-ray has always been a niche thing. Society went from DVD to piracy/digital download (not shown) to streaming, there was no Blu-ray phase.

https://fm-static.cnbc.com/awsmedia/chart/2019/11/08/VIDEO%20MARKET.1573232240621.png?w=678&h=381

https://thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/111119-1500

Blu-ray was kind of like laserdiscs. Anyone remember those? I think T2: Judgement Day was the only movie released on that, lol. Anyhow it was like the interim thing when we went from VHS to DVDs in the 90's.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/13/21 at 9:07 pm

Blu-ray was kind of like laserdiscs. Anyone remember those? I think T2: Judgement Day was the only movie released on that, lol. Anyhow it was like the interim thing when we went from VHS to DVDs in the 90's.

Laserdiscs weren't really an interim thing, they were more like another thing that just happened to be around while VHS phased into DVD. Laserdiscs never caught on. Barely anybody had them. There was no period, even briefly,  when laserdiscs were the main format. They were an also-ran.

Written By: wagonman76 on 05/13/21 at 9:47 pm

Laserdiscs weren't really an interim thing, they were more like another thing that just happened to be around while VHS phased into DVD. Laserdiscs never caught on. Barely anybody had them. There was no period, even briefly,  when laserdiscs were the main format. They were an also-ran.

I agree, blu ray seems to be the hot thing when you can’t do streaming. I have only seen a couple laserdiscs in my life. I got a feeling it was something that only high end folks had.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/13/21 at 9:50 pm

I agree, blu ray seems to be the hot thing when you can’t do streaming. I have only seen a couple laserdiscs in my life. I got a feeling it was something that only high end folks had.

Laserdiscs were barely even in stores. And when they were they were shoved in a corner somewhere. They were never displayed in a prominent way. They were the size of albums and I don't think stores knew what to do with them.

Check for new replies or respond here...