inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why were the early 2000s so vulgar?

Written By: AstroPoug on 05/14/21 at 7:05 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODgH8IS_-sc

Plus 1999 too.
It seemed like the early 2000s just had an obsession with swearing and crudeness in general. Jackass, South Park and Family Guy in its prime, Freddy Got Fingered, raunchy comedies like American Pie, Scary Movie, and Road Trip, and songs by artists like Eminem, Lil Jon, Limp Bizkit, and Slipknot all give off an intense, vulgar vibe to it.
It seems after the mid-2000s, shock humor and vulgarity was replaced by lol random humor that would define the late 2000s and early 2010s. The late 2000s and very early 2010s are still somewhat crude with swearing and vulgar humor, but it seemed less severe compared to the early 2000s.

Subject: Re: Why were the early 2000s so vulgar?

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/15/21 at 7:47 am

It was just the trend of the time, no particular reason. The late 2000's were more about shows like The Office and Parks & Rec, movies like Superbad, and music by Chris Brown, Rihanna, T-Pain, Sean Kingston, Soulja Boy, etc.

Written By: CarCar on 05/15/21 at 9:29 am

It was just the trend of the time, no particular reason. The late 2000's were more about shows like The Office and Parks & Rec, movies like Superbad, and music by Chris Brown, Rihanna, T-Pain, Sean Kingston, Soulja Boy, etc.

Superbad was tame compared to Scary Movie 1 and 2. Those movies in the late 2000s and early 2010s were when things got a little bit more SJWy like 21 jump street

Written By: Howard on 05/15/21 at 1:55 pm

I think it was an edgier time for shows to contain vulgarity, a bit of violence and some brief nudity along with some cuss words.

Written By: Elor on 05/15/21 at 3:53 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODgH8IS_-sc

Fixed the link for you. You need to remove the "s" from the "https" address so that it only reads "http" and it will work with the forum.

Written By: duenas8 on 05/15/21 at 6:53 pm

I’ve noticed that too. Maybe Cable TV and Internet allowed being more permissive when it comes to humor and that raised its popularity.

It’s funny how the irreverent comedy of the early 2000s are the roots of Internet humor in the 2020s, even South Park and Family Guy are still on air. Although I sense their ending soon.

Written By: BotleyCrew on 05/16/21 at 6:20 pm

The early 2000s documentary "The Merchants of Cool" talks to youth-oriented marketers of the time, and goes over a cliche called "The Mook." It's what marketing people of the time called the stereotypically crass frat-boy type characters that were marketed towards teens at the time. The documentary sort of implies that this is just how teens are, but that's clearly not the case, it was a weird artifact from the era between grunge and emo.

Written By: AstroPoug on 05/17/21 at 11:01 am

I think humor just shifts with the times. Every era has its defining style of humor. Nowadays, we are currently in that self-deprecating quirky relatable type of humor phase. A lot of memes you see showcase this. The show Pen15 on Netflix is also a good example. The late 2000s/early 2010s was all about surrealism with Adventure Time, TAWOG, asdfmovie, Tim and Eric, and cat memes. Early-mid 2000s was all about shock value. A lot of the most offensive comedies like Scary Movie, Freddy Got Fingered, and Euro Trip are from the early-mid 2000s. Family Guy and South Park also had their golden age in this era. A lot of internet content, like Happy Tree Friends and Angry Video Game Nerd, was also shocking. The 90s was all about raunch, think American Pie, Beavis and Butthead, early pre-9/11 South Park, Ren and Stimpy, Dumb and Dumber, etc. The 90s were pretty much the penis/fart/butt joke era. The 80s was super corny and all about puns and pop culture references. 70s humor was dark and witty like Monty Python and M.A.S.H. 50s and 60s was all about wholesome clean humor (no sex or toilet jokes), like I Love Lucy, Leave It To Beaver, Father Knows Best, actually pretty much any 50s/60s sitcom really. The 30s and 40s were notable for slapstick humor like Tom and Jerry, Looney Tunes, and The Three Stooges. Pretty much the whole Golden Age of Animation, and most comedies in general were based off slapstick in these decades.

Written By: BotleyCrew on 05/17/21 at 4:46 pm

Ny unpopular opinion is that there's a race element to this. White macho subcultures emphasized edginess in a way other cultures don't. When hip hop became dominant in the mid 2000s the crassness got turned down.

Written By: AstroPoug on 05/17/21 at 6:38 pm

My unpopular opinion is that there's a race element to this. White macho subcultures emphasized edginess in a way other cultures don't. When hip hop became dominant in the mid 2000s the crassness got turned down.

I disagree. In fact, things by and large got much cruder when rap became mainstream in the 90s.
If anything, it had more to do with the fact that the 90s was all about pushing boundaries. It was the decade of Rage Against the Machine, Green Day, and 2pac. Plus there was new technology like the internet and cable television that made pushing boundaries easier.

Things became less crass in the early 2010s due to rising political correctness combined with backlash toward 2000s shock humor. Even though the late 2000s was more absurdist, it wasn't clean by any means. It was the era of Superbad, Tropic Thunder, The Hangover, and golden age AVGN. Plus rock music did begin to decline, but so do did the very vulgar crunk subgenre of rap.

And the 1950s was NOTORIOUSLY conservative and white-dominant, but it's literally the most wholesome decade ever, whilst the significantly more progressive 90s are quite possibly the least wholesome decade (the 90s were pretty much obsessed with all things raunchy and taboo, and this showed in grunge, gangsta rap, and punk).

Written By: Slim95 on 05/20/21 at 1:31 pm

That's just how it was. Eminem kind of cleaned his style up in 2010 with his album Recovery. Trends come and go. Things have been getting more PC. But that's also a bad thing since it stifles comedy and creativity.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/20/21 at 1:33 pm

I also feel things were more geared towards "teen culture" in the early 2000s. In my teen years in the late 2000s/early 2010s, this wasn't really the case (or I just didn't personally pay much attention to it) since things got more hipster. Individualized and varied interests increased thanks to the internet. Teens no longer had to be fed what they should like through the TV and radio since the internet had everything. In the early 2000s this was less of that case and there was more of a common teen culture during that time and people had an idea that all teenagers were like that or should be like that.

In my teen years, being a geek was considered cool. Those who were "different" were popular. But in the early 2000s, you would have made fun of for having special geeky interests.

Check for new replies or respond here...