inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When did your family get a DVD player?

Written By: 90s Guy on 05/22/21 at 5:15 am

For myself, I believe we got a DVD player sometime in 2000, some big bulky combo deck from WalMart I think, but I remember we only had 1 and we still used VHS more often than not until around 2002-2003. Looking at a home movie from February 2004, I already had more than a dozen DVDs. Once I got a PS2 in 2002 that became our dedicated DVD player. I actually did a close up of our DVD collection on the 2004 home movie for posterity.

DVDs as of February 2004:

Nixon
Pulp Fiction
Led Zeppelin: How The West Was Won
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
The Mummy
The Mummy Returns
12 Monkeys
The Lion King
The Animal
Pirates of the Carribean
Merlin
National Lampoon's Vacation
Blow
Patriot Games
Spinal Tap
A Knight's Tale
The Sum of All Fears
Lara Croft: Tomb Raider
Harry Potter collection (first 2 movies I think)
Labyrinth
Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

"As proudly awesome as VHS was for its time, it was equally quickly dispatched due to this newer, more tech-savvy technology. DVDs overtook VHS tapes in sales in 2002, and VHS never recovered. Once DVDs and DVD players became more affordable, there was really no reason to ever watch a VHS tape again."

What about you?

Subject: Re: When did your family get a DVD player?

Written By: Catherine91UK on 05/23/21 at 9:48 am

My family's first PC in 1999 had a DVD player, but it wasn't until 2008 that we bought a TV with a built-in DVD player. My parents never bought a DVD player to plug into our old TV (that TV was so old I don't even know if it would've been possible to plug in a DVD player...), which meant we were still using VHS in the late 2000s.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/23/21 at 10:13 am

When the VCR broke down.

Written By: BotleyCrew on 05/24/21 at 9:47 pm

Fairly late. 2004 or so

Written By: wagonman76 on 05/24/21 at 10:01 pm

I don’t think my dad ever got one, but he still has his VCR from 1985. He’s not home a lot, but when he is he just watches sports all day.

With me as the head of the family I had, I got my first DVD player in 2006. However I got my kid a used portable DVD player for the long car rides to get here and back.

I still have them both. The one is still hooked up in the living room. I still have the portable in the basement.

Written By: whistledog on 05/24/21 at 10:30 pm

My family never had a DVD player.  I bought the first one in 2004 and the first DVD I ever bought was Dickie Roberts: Former Child Star

Written By: Slim95 on 06/06/21 at 6:17 pm

Check for new replies or respond here...