inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Modern Electropop started in 2006. Why do people always say 08 instead?

Written By: NightmareFarm on 08/04/21 at 5:08 pm

Justin Timberlake's "Sexyback" released in 2006, as did Rihannas "SOS" which were both electropop songs.

Subject: Re: Modern Electropop started in 2006. Why do people always say 08 instead?

Written By: batfan2005 on 08/04/21 at 9:08 pm

Justin Timberlake's "Sexyback" released in 2006, as did Rihannas "SOS" which were both electropop songs.

What started in 2008 was Lady Gaga and similar artists (Ke$ha). "Sexyback" was unique but I don't think that's what started the modern electropop. You could go even further back to late 2004 with Gwen Stefani's "L.A.M.B." album and her song "What You Waiting For?"

Subject: Re: Modern Electropop started in 2006. Why do people always say 08 instead?

Written By: NightmareFarm on 08/04/21 at 9:31 pm

What started in 2008 was Lady Gaga and similar artists (Ke$ha). "Sexyback" was unique but I don't think that's what started the modern electropop. You could go even further back to late 2004 with Gwen Stefani's "L.A.M.B." album and her song "What You Waiting For?"

Nah that's disco pop not electropop. Sexyback, S.O.S and even Smack That to an extent has those blaring electronic synths that make it sound a lot like something from 2008 or 2009.

Written By: BotleyCrew on 08/04/21 at 10:56 pm

Rhianna is definitely an early adopter. There are early adopters of any trend. It didn't get big until 2008.

Written By: batfan2005 on 08/05/21 at 6:32 am

Nah that's disco pop not electropop. Sexyback, S.O.S and even Smack That to an extent has those blaring electronic synths that make it sound a lot like something from 2008 or 2009.

Actually "What You Waiting For" is classified as elecreopop, although most of the other songs on that album are classified as hip-hop or synth pop. "My Humps" was also classified as electropop, especially the percussion. Songs like "Feel Good Inc" or Chris Brown's "Run It" would have sounded out of place in 2008 or 2009 either. Anyhow people on here have overstated the impact of "Sexyback" ever since that song was first released. They made it to be like it was like Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and why 2006 was the new 1991.

Written By: NightmareFarm on 08/05/21 at 8:29 am

Actually "What You Waiting For" is classified as elecreopop, although most of the other songs on that album are classified as hip-hop or synth pop. "My Humps" was also classified as electropop, especially the percussion. Songs like "Feel Good Inc" or Chris Brown's "Run It" would have sounded out of place in 2008 or 2009 either. Anyhow people on here have overstated the impact of "Sexyback" ever since that song was first released. They made it to be like it was like Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and why 2006 was the new 1991.

I had a re-listen and i get that it is electropop now. It sounds kind of like pop rock like katy perry's first few songs.

My humps is definitely not electropop. The focus of that song is the urban drum beat and gasps with the electronic synths being nowhere as prominent as it is for actual electropop. Feel good and run it definitely aren't either. They wouldn't have felt too out of place because those years were transitioning out of McBling era music.

Written By: batfan2005 on 08/05/21 at 6:56 pm

I had a re-listen and i get that it is electropop now. It sounds kind of like pop rock like katy perry's first few songs.

My humps is definitely not electropop. The focus of that song is the urban drum beat and gasps with the electronic synths being nowhere as prominent as it is for actual electropop. Feel good and run it definitely aren't either. They wouldn't have felt too out of place because those years were transitioning out of McBling era music.

I'm just going off of Wikipedia which granted may not always be reliable or accurate. It did list "My Humps" as electropop, and in fact it didn't list "Sexyback" as such but rather "electro R&B". Other than the percussion and hard synth, it had the football marching band sound. I didn't say that "Feel Good Inc" or "Run It" were electropop, it just had the sound that was common in the later 2000's. That period was transitional and had a mix of many subgengres, much like the late 80's/early 90's period that had a mix of dance house, new jack swing, grunge, and gangsta rap as we were transitioning from the core 80's to core 90's.

Written By: NightmareFarm on 08/05/21 at 7:19 pm

I'm just going off of Wikipedia which granted may not always be reliable or accurate. It did list "My Humps" as electropop, and in fact it didn't list "Sexyback" as such but rather "electro R&B". Other than the percussion and hard synth, it had the football marching band sound. I didn't say that "Feel Good Inc" or "Run It" were electropop, it just had the sound that was common in the later 2000's. That period was transitional and had a mix of many subgengres, much like the late 80's/early 90's period that had a mix of dance house, new jack swing, grunge, and gangsta rap as we were transitioning from the core 80's to core 90's.

Well whoever wrote my humps as electropop is dead wrong. That is the most mid 00s song ever and has urban drum beats and MJ style gasps in the background with the occassional electronic synth.

Sexyback is sort of a mix between electropop and r&b but mostly electropop. The only part that is true r&b is the bridge.

Written By: batfan2005 on 08/06/21 at 7:30 am

Well whoever wrote my humps as electropop is dead wrong. That is the most mid 00s song ever and has urban drum beats and MJ style gasps in the background with the occassional electronic synth.

Sexyback is sort of a mix between electropop and r&b but mostly electropop. The only part that is true r&b is the bridge.

My Humps wasn't solely electropop but primarily hip-hop and R&B mixed with electropop. It has been compared to Kelis' "Milkshake" song so I guess it wouldn't have been out of place then either. Another Gorillaz song that is electropop is "Dare". It became a hit in early 2006 and not as big as "Feel Good Inc", but it was released in 2005 from the same album.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/07/21 at 12:14 pm

Kinda but Sexyback was considered a futuristic
and unique song back then and something we wouldn't hear until years later. '06 was when early adoptions of it came and you heard a little more of it. But '08 was when it came in full force (late 2008 with Lady Gaga and other songs).

Written By: Slim95 on 08/07/21 at 12:17 pm

My Humps wasn't solely electropop but primarily hip-hop and R&B mixed with electropop. It has been compared to Kelis' "Milkshake" song so I guess it wouldn't have been out of place then either. Another Gorillaz song that is electropop is "Dare". It became a hit in early 2006 and not as big as "Feel Good Inc", but it was released in 2005 from the same album.

Yeah My Humps has no electoronica in it except that part where Will I Am says "she's got me spending". It ain't an electro pop song.

Written By: NightmareFarm on 08/07/21 at 7:06 pm

Kinda but Sexyback was considered a futuristic
and unique song back then and something we wouldn't hear until years later. '06 was when early adoptions of it came and you heard a little more of it. But '08 was when it came in full force (late 2008 with Lady Gaga and other songs).

Oh, I thought people meant that it became a thing in 08.

Written By: batfan2005 on 08/10/21 at 3:28 pm

Yeah My Humps has no electoronica in it except that part where Will I Am says "she's got me spending". It ain't an electro pop song.

I thought the hollow keyboard percussion with the rapid bpm would have also been considered electro, as opposed to traditional hip-hop songs that have a harder bass and lower bpm.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/10/21 at 3:58 pm

I thought the hollow keyboard percussion with the rapid bpm would have also been considered electro, as opposed to traditional hip-hop songs that have a harder bass and lower bpm.

It would need to sound electronic and synthy for it to be considered electro. It is just a fast dance song, but not electropop.

Written By: BotleyCrew on 08/10/21 at 6:04 pm

What about "Can't Get You Out of My Head" by Kylie Minogue?

Written By: Slim95 on 08/10/21 at 6:06 pm

If we go that far then we can go back to some random electronic dance song from the '70s  and call it electropop lol.

Written By: batfan2005 on 08/10/21 at 7:26 pm

If we go that far then we can go back to some random electronic dance song from the '70s  and call it electropop lol.

I was thinking "We Like to Party" by the Vengaboys. That sound was popular in the Y2K era.

Written By: BotleyCrew on 08/10/21 at 7:56 pm

I feel like to be called electropop, you should be influenced by electroclash or the 80s synth music that inspired it. So "Can't Get You Out of My Head" or "Freak Like Me" by Sugarbabes could arguably be electropop, but nothing from the 90s could.

Written By: NightmareFarm on 08/10/21 at 9:21 pm

I wouldn't say that one is. If that is then a sweeping chunk of 90s and early 00s songs would be lumped in with the electropop from the late 00s and early 10s which are radically different. It feels a lot different(perhaps because the electronic aspect isn't as loud as modern electropop).

Written By: batfan2005 on 08/12/21 at 1:10 pm

I wouldn't say that one is. If that is then a sweeping chunk of 90s and early 00s songs would be lumped in with the electropop from the late 00s and early 10s which are radically different. It feels a lot different(perhaps because the electronic aspect isn't as loud as modern electropop).

I would consider that one as remain of the techno/electro during the Y2K era with the aforementioned Vengaboys and songs like "Barbie Girl" and "The Blue Song". There was a gap in electro music during the first half of the 00's before it became popular in the later half.

Check for new replies or respond here...