inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: "The 2000s never ended"

Written By: NightmareFarm on 08/15/21 at 6:45 am

A lot of people say this but I don't get it at all.

The 10s may not have been that changeful compared to previous decades but there's still a huge difference between the 00s and tens. Heck, even if you compare the very beginning of the 10s and the last year of that decade there is a lot of change.

For starters you have smartphones becoming commonplace. Smartphones technically started selling in 2007 but that's merely a technicality. No one had them until like 2010 and they started became commonplace 2011. That alone is revolutionary and a product that defined the 10s.

Other tech changes?

- You had Windows 7 become commonplace. Again, technically starting in 2009 but that doesn't matter since it started becoming commonplace 2010/2011 and like 2013 iirc for schools and public facilities. Later on in the decade you had Windows 8 and eventually 10 become commonplace compared to the extremely dated Windows XP of the 2000s.

- HD tech becomes the standard in the early 10s. Maybe the very late 2000s too but it definitely isn't the 00s zeitgeist.

- Cameras are popular in the 00s, dies off in the early 10s

- Ipod is popular in the 00s, dies off in the 10s

- 2000s was mainly CRTs with LCDs and flat screens slowly creeping in in the last third. 2010s was mainly LCDs with 4K creeping in the last few years.

- Tablets become commonplace in the 10s thanks to the Ipad

- Gaming graphics become so advanced they start to resemble CGI now.

- Cloud storage becomes a lot more popular

- Streaming becomes commonplace and causes TV usage and DVD/Blu-Ray sales to sink heavily

- Much more sleeker and advanced user interfaces on websites.

- Skeumorphim dies off

- More ads on sites like youtube

- Youtube becomes the new hollywood

- Social media cracks down more on censorship

- Wireless earphones

- Apple watches

- Foldable phones

- AI normalisation such as Alexa and Siri.

- Mainstream social media becomes more fragmented. In the 2000s people just used myspace, youtube and facebook. Maybe twitter too. Now people also use instagram, snapchat, kik, tumblr, tiktok, vine. Maybe reddit too although that's a gray area concerning it's status as a true social media network.

Political changes:

- 00s ended with an economy in shambles. 10s zeitgeist was a gradually recovering economy with it booming in the late 10s in stark contrast to the massive recession in the late 00s.

- Trump

- Iraq war ends at the start of the 10s whereas it ran on for the majority of the 00s

- Post 9/11 hysteria is a thing of the past in the 10s whilst it defined the 00s

- Conservative and materialistic zeitgeist with people becoming more liberal towards the end in the 2000s. The reverse goes for the 10s.

- 00s had a conservative, unpopular president for the majority of the decade and then a liberal and popular president at the end, 10s was the reverse.

- Politics has become a lot more divisive and extreme than it used to be. These days according to the internet you're either hitler or an "SJW cuck". Constant fighting between the left and right which permeates areas outside of politics like movies and gaming with the sentiments given about forced diversity and the like.

- PC culture is a thing in the 10s(for better or worse) and not so much in the 00s.

- 00s had more wide scale disasters like 9/11, hurricane katrina but in low quantities, the great recession whilst the 10s had smaller scale disasters but were bigger in quantity like mass school shootings, random hurricanes and isis terrorist attacks

- Conspiracy theories have become a lot more popular thanks to Qanon

- Political movements/protests being much more commonplace in the 10s such as BLM, gay pride, free the nip.

Gaming:

- The 00s had a lot of brown and gray games in an attempt to make them more realistic. This trend was done away with starting from about 2012.

- Dark and gritty realistic first person shooters dominated the late 00s. Cinematic pseudo-simulator games dominate the 10s.

- Graphics resemble CGI now whereas 00s games look extremely dated

- 2D fighting games were pretty dead in the 00s. Street fighter 4 caused a revival for the 10s.

- Hack n Slash games were commonplace whilst clinging on to dear life in the 10s.

- Gaming channels become much more commonplace in the 10s

Music:

- R&B, ringtone rap and Synth pop is the zeitgeist with Electropop getting big in the last few years of the 00s. Rock dies out exactly at the start of the 10s. Ringtone rap dies out in the early 10s. EDM starts getting popular at the beginning of the 10s, Electropop dies out in 2013. Generic pop and EDM dominate the mid 10s with the occasional slow ballad, trap/mumble rap dominate the late 10s. Country also gets somewhat popular in the late 10s.

Youth culture:

- Lingo changes. People use phrases like "lowkey", "on fleek", "mood", "bae" now which were unheard of before

- Humor and memes have become much more satirical whereas the 2000s and early 10s was more simplified, shock value type humor.

- Late 00s/Early 10s had rage comics, trollface, top text/bottom text memes. Late 10s has twitter text memes, caption memes, drake memes, deep fried memes, post-irony memes.

- Emo was the big subculture of the 2000s. Hipster is the big subculture of the 10s.

Keep in mind, this is only the changes brought by the 10s. Covid-19 alone separates the current decade culturally from the 10s and to a greater extent the 00s as well. Does WW3 have to happen for the 2000s to end?

Subject: Re: "The 2000s never ended"

Written By: Slim95 on 08/15/21 at 12:51 pm

It's almost scary how old the early 2000s appears now in videos from the time. I don't want it to feel like how the '80s looked, but it does.  :-\\

Written By: NightmareFarm on 08/15/21 at 1:48 pm

It's almost scary how old the early 2000s appears now in videos from the time. I don't want it to feel like how the '80s looked, but it does.  :-\\

CRT TVs, PS2s, grainy camera quality, flip phones, etc. It's bound to look dated nowadays.

Written By: CarCar on 08/17/21 at 11:08 am

That’s funny, I thought you hated the stagnation you thought was going with the 2000s and how it just looked like yesterday.

The 2000s are slowly coming on they’re way to being old school. Can’t wait for 20 years olds in a couple of years to ask me what were the 2000s and early 2010s ? Like

Written By: CarCar on 08/17/21 at 11:11 am

CRT TVs, PS2s, grainy camera quality, flip phones, etc. It's bound to look dated nowadays.

Yeah the early 2010s purged all the remnants of the 2000s

I thought that’s what people wanted. To feel like they lived through an era and life was just the same as it was 10 or 12 years ago from today but actually pretty different in the context of what people wore, dressed like and the different aesthetics/designs that were popular at the time.

Written By: CarCar on 08/17/21 at 11:13 am

A lot of people say this but I don't get it at all.

The 10s may not have been that changeful compared to previous decades but there's still a huge difference between the 00s and tens. Heck, even if you compare the very beginning of the 10s and the last year of that decade there is a lot of change.

For starters you have smartphones becoming commonplace. Smartphones technically started selling in 2007 but that's merely a technicality. No one had them until like 2010 and they started became commonplace 2011. That alone is revolutionary and a product that defined the 10s.

Other tech changes?

- You had Windows 7 become commonplace. Again, technically starting in 2009 but that doesn't matter since it started becoming commonplace 2010/2011 and like 2013 iirc for schools and public facilities. Later on in the decade you had Windows 8 and eventually 10 become commonplace compared to the extremely dated Windows XP of the 2000s.

- HD tech becomes the standard in the early 10s. Maybe the very late 2000s too but it definitely isn't the 00s zeitgeist.

- Cameras are popular in the 00s, dies off in the early 10s

- Ipod is popular in the 00s, dies off in the 10s

- 2000s was mainly CRTs with LCDs and flat screens slowly creeping in in the last third. 2010s was mainly LCDs with 4K creeping in the last few years.

- Tablets become commonplace in the 10s thanks to the Ipad

- Gaming graphics become so advanced they start to resemble CGI now.

- Cloud storage becomes a lot more popular

- Streaming becomes commonplace and causes TV usage and DVD/Blu-Ray sales to sink heavily

- Much more sleeker and advanced user interfaces on websites.

- Skeumorphim dies off

- More ads on sites like youtube

- Youtube becomes the new hollywood

- Social media cracks down more on censorship

- Wireless earphones

- Apple watches

- Foldable phones

- AI normalisation such as Alexa and Siri.

- Mainstream social media becomes more fragmented. In the 2000s people just used myspace, youtube and facebook. Maybe twitter too. Now people also use instagram, snapchat, kik, tumblr, tiktok, vine. Maybe reddit too although that's a gray area concerning it's status as a true social media network.

Political changes:

- 00s ended with an economy in shambles. 10s zeitgeist was a gradually recovering economy with it booming in the late 10s in stark contrast to the massive recession in the late 00s.

- Trump

- Iraq war ends at the start of the 10s whereas it ran on for the majority of the 00s

- Post 9/11 hysteria is a thing of the past in the 10s whilst it defined the 00s

- Conservative and materialistic zeitgeist with people becoming more liberal towards the end in the 2000s. The reverse goes for the 10s.

- 00s had a conservative, unpopular president for the majority of the decade and then a liberal and popular president at the end, 10s was the reverse.

- Politics has become a lot more divisive and extreme than it used to be. These days according to the internet you're either hitler or an "SJW cuck". Constant fighting between the left and right which permeates areas outside of politics like movies and gaming with the sentiments given about forced diversity and the like.

- PC culture is a thing in the 10s(for better or worse) and not so much in the 00s.

- 00s had more wide scale disasters like 9/11, hurricane katrina but in low quantities, the great recession whilst the 10s had smaller scale disasters but were bigger in quantity like mass school shootings, random hurricanes and isis terrorist attacks

- Conspiracy theories have become a lot more popular thanks to Qanon

- Political movements/protests being much more commonplace in the 10s such as BLM, gay pride, free the nip.

Gaming:

- The 00s had a lot of brown and gray games in an attempt to make them more realistic. This trend was done away with starting from about 2012.

- Dark and gritty realistic first person shooters dominated the late 00s. Cinematic pseudo-simulator games dominate the 10s.

- Graphics resemble CGI now whereas 00s games look extremely dated

- 2D fighting games were pretty dead in the 00s. Street fighter 4 caused a revival for the 10s.

- Hack n Slash games were commonplace whilst clinging on to dear life in the 10s.

- Gaming channels become much more commonplace in the 10s

Music:

- R&B, ringtone rap and Synth pop is the zeitgeist with Electropop getting big in the last few years of the 00s. Rock dies out exactly at the start of the 10s. Ringtone rap dies out in the early 10s. EDM starts getting popular at the beginning of the 10s, Electropop dies out in 2013. Generic pop and EDM dominate the mid 10s with the occasional slow ballad, trap/mumble rap dominate the late 10s. Country also gets somewhat popular in the late 10s.

Youth culture:

- Lingo changes. People use phrases like "lowkey", "on fleek", "mood", "bae" now which were unheard of before

- Humor and memes have become much more satirical whereas the 2000s and early 10s was more simplified, shock value type humor.

- Late 00s/Early 10s had rage comics, trollface, top text/bottom text memes. Late 10s has twitter text memes, caption memes, drake memes, deep fried memes, post-irony memes.

- Emo was the big subculture of the 2000s. Hipster is the big subculture of the 10s.

Keep in mind, this is only the changes brought by the 10s. Covid-19 alone separates the current decade culturally from the 10s and to a greater extent the 00s as well. Does WW3 have to happen for the 2000s to end?

Some people say this also in reference to conflicts in the Middle East but that’s been going on since the 70s and no I don’t think America is still stuck in the 70s.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/17/21 at 2:59 pm

That’s funny, I thought you hated the stagnation you thought was going with the 2000s and how it just looked like yesterday.

The 2000s are slowly coming on they’re way to being old school. Can’t wait for 20 years olds in a couple of years to ask me what were the 2000s and early 2010s ? Like

There is still some but a lot of it does look dated.

Written By: NightmareFarm on 08/17/21 at 10:13 pm

Some people say this also in reference to conflicts in the Middle East but that’s been going on since the 70s and no I don’t think America is still stuck in the 70s.

If you think it's the same country it was in the 70s you're looking at it through an extremely broad lens. Americas practically a different country now. The world for that matter is radically different. Technology was still primitive in the 70s and the internet wasn't used at home for a start.

Written By: CarCar on 08/18/21 at 12:41 am

If you think it's the same country it was in the 70s you're looking at it through an extremely broad lens. Americas practically a different country now. The world for that matter is radically different. Technology was still primitive in the 70s and the internet wasn't used at home for a start.

I think you misunderstood what I said, I said America is not in the 70s anymore, far from it actually. I said that people still think life is similar to the 2000s,  We still have on going conflicts that happened in the 2000s in the Middle East even though it goes back all the way to the 70s but America isn’t in the 70s anymore as much as it is in the 2000s despite still having an ongoing conflict in the same region for going as far back 40 years ago.

I assume your references the article with the same name that brought this up because of how this is still a prevalent issue in today’s world but not in the way it was in the 2000s since there is no more 9/11 hysteria as that is in the past now.

Written By: NightmareFarm on 08/18/21 at 12:47 am

I think you misunderstood what I said, I said America is not in the 70s anymore, far from it actually. I said that people still think life is similar to the 2000s,  We still have on going conflicts that happened in the 2000s in the Middle East even though it goes back all the way to the 70s but America isn’t in the 70s anymore as much as it is in the 2000s despite still having an ongoing conflict in the same region for going as far back 40 years ago.

I assume your references the article with the same name that brought this up because of how this is still a prevalent issue in today’s world but not in the way it was in the 2000s since there is no more 9/11 hysteria as that is in the past now.

My bad, I misread your comment.

Written By: CarCar on 08/18/21 at 8:44 am

Another thing I will add is that a lot of artists that came out of the 2000s when they were very young and simply teenagers are now turning 30 and are looked upped too by Gen Z as the case of Olivia Rodrigo with Taylor Swift.

It won’t be long before Miley, Selena and Demi are just looked as a 2000s throwback. Britney is always looked as the symbol of 90s since that’s when she rose and peaked in popularity amongst teens but declined in the Mid-Late 2000s.

Check for new replies or respond here...