inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Year 2009 Sucked...

Written By: Slim95 on 10/07/21 at 2:25 pm

A worldwide recession, horrible music, the swine flu epidemic, terrible fashion, the end to an otherwise awesome decade... There's nothing to like about 2009.

Subject: Re: The Year 2009 Sucked...

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/07/21 at 2:31 pm

It was in 2009 I found employment in the best job I had in my working career!

Written By: Slim95 on 10/07/21 at 2:33 pm

It was in 2009 I found employment in the best job I had in my working career!

OK it was a good year for our personal lives. I enjoyed some parts in the early part of the year in my personal life. But otherwise it was a terrible year.

Written By: JimiBoy04 on 10/07/21 at 4:19 pm

In 86 days, babies born in that year will start to becoming teenagers.

Written By: BotleyCrew on 10/07/21 at 4:46 pm

That was the year toddintheshadows started reviewing music, and oh god were the songs in his early review bad

Written By: Slim95 on 10/07/21 at 5:32 pm

You know music in 2009 sucked when you had songs like this high on the charts..

M11SvDtPBhA

Written By: batfan2005 on 10/07/21 at 8:35 pm

My dog was put to sleep, Michael Jackson died, and I went through a divorce. It had some rough patches.

Written By: ac01c9e17 on 10/18/21 at 2:46 pm

It didn’t suck nearly as much as 2010, 2014-2016, 2018, 2020 and 2021 up until recently.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/18/21 at 3:10 pm

I lost my grandmother and my sister in 2008. In 2009, I was dealing with my grief and a major hormonal imbalance. On top of that, Carlos had cancer and was undergoing radiation. It was a success and he has been cancer-free since.

2009 was also when we had our major meet-up in Philly. http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=36402.0

Cat

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/18/21 at 3:57 pm

I lost my grandmother and my sister in 2008...

So sorry to hear of the losses of your grandmother and sister in 2008

...Carlos had cancer and was undergoing radiation. It was a success and he has been cancer-free since...

I'm delighted to hear Carlos emerged victorious!  That was also my battle in 2009 - yes, I even know the "joys" of radiation.  Thankfully, I made it through, too.

(In 2008, my husband went through the health battle of his life to date - I'm happy to say that with effort, things worked out well for his health, too.)

I do have one other perspective on these health battles - I'm thankful that my cancer battle occurred in 2009 and not fifty years earlier (1959) - modern medicine is a gift we don't always appreciate enough.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/18/21 at 6:32 pm

So sorry to hear of the losses of your grandmother and sister in 2008

I'm delighted to hear Carlos emerged victorious!  That was also my battle in 2009 - yes, I even know the "joys" of radiation.  Thankfully, I made it through, too.

(In 2008, my husband went through the health battle of his life to date - I'm happy to say that with effort, things worked out well for his health, too.)

I do have one other perspective on these health battles - I'm thankful that my cancer battle occurred in 2009 and not fifty years earlier (1959) - modern medicine is a gift we don't always appreciate enough.

Thanks. My grandmother was 99 & 1/2 years young. She was still sharp as a tack until life gave her a one-two punch in the last two weeks of her life-a heart attack & a stroke. Don't know if the stroke brought on the heart attack or the heart attack brought on the stroke. Either way, the result was the same. At that point, she was morphed up and we were on death watch. One of sisters sat by her and read to her for those two weeks. (I was many states away.) We had her 100th birthday party 6 months after she left us. She INSISTED! She told us months before, if she wasn't there to have the party anyway. We think she might have known. My dad also INSISTED that EVERYONE be there. (Usually when there is a family gathering there is ALWAYS one who doesn't make it-I was the one for my grandmother's 95th-we were waiting the birth of our first granddaughter. (But I was there for her 75th, 80th, 85th, & 90th).

It really was a good thing that we were all there for Grandma's 100th because that was the last time I saw my sister. She passed away about 3 months later.  :\'( :\'( :\'(  (Heart issues.) After the party, my brother went off to his hotel room. I guess my husband also went off to my sister's house where we were staying. One of my sisters rented a hotel suite and the rest of us gathered there. Someone decided to take pics of us 5 sisters. At first we were doing the usual pic thing-smiling and such. Then someone said to do Grandma's funny face (something she always did so we all knew it). That started it. We were all making stupid faces. There was one pic where we were trying to do the Charlie's Angels pose. Then Dad got into the pics. I don't know how many pics were taken but we were all laughing so hard. It is so nice to have a last memory as a wonderful one like that. I put all those pics to a slide show with the tune "We Are Family" because I did all my sisters with me. One of my nieces took one of those pics and turn us into a Jib Jab video which was HYSTERICAL. I still have a copy of it.

I didn't realize that you are a cancer survivor. I am VERY glad that you are survivor (like Carlos & his sister-his was prostrate & hers was breast-TWICE.)

I'm also glad that your husband is doing well now. Yes, modern medicine is a gift.

Cat

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/18/21 at 8:01 pm

Thanks. My grandmother was 99 & 1/2 years young. She was still sharp as a tack until life gave her a one-two punch in the last two weeks of her life-a heart attack & a stroke. Don't know if the stroke brought on the heart attack or the heart attack brought on the stroke. Either way, the result was the same. At that point, she was morphed up and we were on death watch. One of sisters sat by her and read to her for those two weeks. (I was many states away.) We had her 100th birthday party 6 months after she left us. She INSISTED! She told us months before, if she wasn't there to have the party anyway. We think she might have known. My dad also INSISTED that EVERYONE be there. (Usually when there is a family gathering there is ALWAYS one who doesn't make it-I was the one for my grandmother's 95th-we were waiting the birth of our first granddaughter. (But I was there for her 75th, 80th, 85th, & 90th).

It really was a good thing that we were all there for Grandma's 100th because that was the last time I saw my sister. She passed away about 3 months later.  :\'( :\'( :\'(  (Heart issues.) After the party, my brother went off to his hotel room. I guess my husband also went off to my sister's house where we were staying. One of my sisters rented a hotel suite and the rest of us gathered there. Someone decided to take pics of us 5 sisters. At first we were doing the usual pic thing-smiling and such. Then someone said to do Grandma's funny face (something she always did so we all knew it). That started it. We were all making stupid faces. There was one pic where we were trying to do the Charlie's Angels pose. Then Dad got into the pics. I don't know how many pics were taken but we were all laughing so hard. It is so nice to have a last memory as a wonderful one like that. I put all those pics to a slide show with the tune "We Are Family" because I did all my sisters with me. One of my nieces took one of those pics and turn us into a Jib Jab video which was HYSTERICAL. I still have a copy of it.

Great, precious memories!

I didn't realize that you are a cancer survivor. I am VERY glad that you are survivor (like Carlos & his sister-his was prostrate & hers was breast-TWICE.)

I'm also glad that your husband is doing well now. Yes, modern medicine is a gift.

Cat

Thanks.  Like Carlos' sister, I'm also a member of the "pink ribbon" brigade.  Fortunately for me it was caught early.  Still had to go through a bunch of unpleasantness, but I'm cancer free now.  For hubby, it was his heart.  He's doing well these days.

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 10/20/21 at 12:47 am

I argue this is the real year everything started to suck (don't think I'll ever believe it was 2006). By 2015 or 2016 at latest, the process appeared to me to be finalized.

Or, economically, I think either 2007 or 2008 is when everything started to suck (could be wrong, but I think the 2008 crash make the economic crisis of 2007 obvious and only more severe, like 1929's crash did).

Written By: batfan2005 on 10/27/21 at 9:30 pm

I argue this is the real year everything started to suck (don't think I'll ever believe it was 2006). By 2015 or 2016 at latest, the process appeared to me to be finalized.

Or, economically, I think either 2007 or 2008 is when everything started to suck (could be wrong, but I think the 2008 crash make the economic crisis of 2007 obvious and only more severe, like 1929's crash did).

For me I think it was 2013. Since then the good years/moments were fewer and further in between, like 2015, the first half of 2016, second half of 2018. 2019 was good too, looking back as the last pre-pandemic year. 2020 took the  suck to a whole new level.

Meanwhile 2006 and most of 2007 sucked for me, but 2008 was great. 2010-2012 were pretty good as well (especially the later part).

Written By: JacobThePlante on 11/16/21 at 4:56 pm

To everyone saying music this year sucked: ok boomers. Music taste is 100% subjective and if you haven't noticed almost everyone's favorite era of music is what they grew up with for whatever reason. Personally, this is when music got GOOD to me! This is also the year mobile gaming took out which was a new & exciting medium back then

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/16/21 at 5:04 pm

To everyone saying music this year sucked: ok boomers. Music taste is 100% subjective and if you haven't noticed almost everyone's favorite era of music is what they grew up with for whatever reason. Personally, this is when music got GOOD to me! This is also the year mobile gaming took out which was a new & exciting medium back then

Check your knee-jerk reaction. None of the identifiable boomers on this thread have said a peep about the music of 2009 sucking. The ONLY ones that have made a point of it (including the OP) all would appear to be born post-1990, which would make them Millennials.

Written By: JacobThePlante on 11/16/21 at 6:03 pm

Check your knee-jerk reaction. None of the identifiable boomers on this thread have said a peep about the music of 2009 sucking. The ONLY ones that have made a point of it (including the OP) all would appear to be born post-1990, which would make them Millennials.

I thought out my response. And I know that, I didn't mean literal boomers. I just think it's silly how generation after generation, people always say the same thing ("music after *insert period of time they grew up in* sucks!!1!")

Written By: NightmareFarm on 11/16/21 at 6:33 pm

2009(at least the first half) is slept on AF musically. People lump this in with the early 10s electropop era but I disagree you still had too many core 00s style music for this to be the case and electropop sounded a lot different here compared to late 09 and following years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w55Nib4uf1U&ab_channel=EnriqueIglesias

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bESGLojNYSo&ab_channel=LadyGagaVEVO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m48GqaOz90&ab_channel=BlackEyedPeasVEVO

Timeless bangers.

Check for new replies or respond here...