inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: '90s Backlash in the 2000s

Written By: Slim95 on 11/04/21 at 3:49 am

One of my clearest memories from the 2000s was the large amount of '90s backlash that went on during that decade. People thought music and trends from the '90s were extremely cheesy and outdated. The Macarena was considered humiliating (there was a Zoey 101 episode in the '00s about it actually where it was mentioned how embarassing it was), The Backstreet Boys were extremely looked down on and made fun of in the early 2000s, and I remember '90s trends in general getting made fun of in the 2000s. Anyone else remember this? The same thing happened for the '80s once the '90s arrived. But this did not happen for the 2000s and 2010s.

Subject: Re: '90s Backlash in the 2000s

Written By: violet_shy on 11/04/21 at 4:16 am

I personally don't remember this at all. I believe you though, it happens during every decade the previous is always looked down on. My guess is that in the 2010s everyone became nostalgic. And didn't feel that any decade that came before should be made fun of.

And bla bla bla, hahaha ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/04/21 at 5:53 am

Same with me, I cannot recall any backlash, the time and dates just flowed on.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/04/21 at 8:34 am

One of my clearest memories from the 2000s was the large amount of '90s backlash that went on during that decade. People thought music and trends from the '90s were extremely cheesy and outdated. The Macarena was considered humiliating (there was a Zoey 101 episode in the '00s about it actually where it was mentioned how embarassing it was), The Backstreet Boys were extremely looked down on and made fun of in the early 2000s, and I remember '90s trends in general getting made fun of in the 2000s. Anyone else remember this? The same thing happened for the '80s once the '90s arrived. But this did not happen for the 2000s and 2010s.

I think you may be using the wrong examples to prove a bigger point. I don't recall a "90s backlash" per se, but there WAS a backlash to the two things you mention. The Backstreet Boys because there is ALWAYS a backlash against boy bands as people outgrow them. It's built in to the phenomena of the boy band. It has nothing to do with the decade they were in. It happened as far back as the Osmonds in the 70s, for example. As for the Macarena, again, there is a built in life span for a novelty dance trend like that. The Lambada, Gangnam Style, the "Achy Breaky Heart" line dance, etc etc. These gimmicky trends hit like scorched Earth, the part of the public that likes such cheesiness respond like crazy, and then it vanishes, leaving everybody a bit embarrassed that they were involved in such a silly thing.

The strange thing is, these novelty gimmick dances have a bizarre afterlife at weddings, anniversary parties, etc. Places where DJs prevail and middle aged housewives dance and exalt in them.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/05/21 at 2:19 pm

People hated the '90s in the '00s. I clearly remember this.

Written By: Emman on 11/05/21 at 2:25 pm

There was no '90s backlash during the 2000s, I mean the post-grunge sound lasted the entire decade. There were certain Y2k era trends that became unpopular(boybands and nu metal) but on the whole the '00s were a modification of the '90s trends. Many of the main tropes of the '90s continued unabated like pop punk, post-grunge, gangsta rap, vocal trance, ect. as well as baggy, oversized clothing and flat straight hair for women.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/05/21 at 2:32 pm

There was no '90s backlash during the 2000s, I mean the post-grunge sound lasted the entire decade. There were certain Y2k era trends that became unpopular(boybands and nu metal) but on the whole the '00s were a modification of the '90s trends. Many of the main tropes of the '90s continued unabated like pop punk, post-grunge, gangsta rap, vocal trance, ect. as well as baggy, oversized clothing and flat straight hair for women.

I don't agree. I remember the backlash.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/05/21 at 2:40 pm

Correct. 90s fashion goes on to this day and people don't even know it. If it wasn't for 90s fashion men would still be wearing the short shorts of the 80s, for example. Once they were lengthened in the 90s specifically due to Michael Jordan, as well as some sort of unholy alliance of grunge and rap, they STAYED that way. The "schlub look" adopted by the large majority of American males between the ages of 8-55, consisting of baseball cap, loose T shirt, baggy long shorts and big sneakers comes DIRECTY from the 90s and doesn't appear to be going anywhere anytime soon. Indeed it could be said that the 90s was the beginning of this "lack of change" (except in technology) that many discuss. The 90s came and stayed. No backlash.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/05/21 at 2:42 pm

Correct. 90s fashion goes on to this day and people don't even know it. If it wasn't for 90s fashion men would still be wearing the short shorts of the 80s, for example. Once they were lengthened in the 90s specifically due to Michael Jordan, as well as some sort of unholy alliance of grunge and rap, they STAYED that way. The "schlub look" adopted by the large majority of American males between the ages of 8-55, consisting of baseball cap, loose T shirt, baggy long shorts and big sneakers comes DIRECTY from the 90s and doesn't appear to be going anywhere anytime soon. Indeed it could be said that the 90s was the beginning of this "lack of change" (except in technology) that many discuss. The 90s came and stayed. No backlash.

'90s fashion is so old what are you talking about lol. The fashion actually came back as in retro styles come back every 20 - 30 years as people get nostalgic. It's old as hell lol. The '90s are 30 years old now. And there was major backlash of it in the 2000s.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/05/21 at 4:28 pm

'90s fashion is so old what are you talking about lol. The fashion actually came back as in retro styles come back every 20 - 30 years as people get nostalgic. It's old as hell lol. The '90s are 30 years old now. And there was major backlash of it in the 2000s.

The sneakers, baseball cap and log shorts you have been wearing for most of your life are from the 90s. They never went away so they couldn't have come back because they're still here from then. It's just the way it happened. Nobody who wears a baseball cap, considers it "retro", but it started in the 90s. Nobody really wore them in the 60s, 70s or 80s unless they were a baseball player or eight years old. But they exploded in the 90s. This is what I mean about 90s fashion still being here, but being invisible.

It could be that the backlash was in your perception. Stranger things have happened, after all.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/05/21 at 4:30 pm

The sneakers, baseball cap and log shorts you have been wearing for most of your life are from the 90s. They never went away so they couldn't have come back because they're still here from then. It's just the way it happened. Nobody who wears a baseball cap, considers it "retro", but it started in the 90s. Nobody really wore them in the 60s, 70s or 80s unless they were a baseball player or eight years old. But they exploded in the 90s. This is what I mean about 90s fashion still being here, but being invisible.

It could be that the backlash was in your perception. Stranger things have happened, after all.

That's baloney homie.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/05/21 at 4:39 pm

That's baloney homie.

Take a look at any picture of the half a million people at the Woodstock festival in 1969 for example, and tell me how many baseball hats you see. Or long, baggy shorts. You won't find a whole heck of a lot in the 80s either, although they started to creep in just a bit. But in the 90s? BANG, they were everywhere. And today?? BANG, they're everywhere. They never went away after the 90s. Did you see a period after the 90s when baseball hats went away or shorts got CONSIDERABLY shorter again? HIGH fashion from the 90s went away as it does in any decade. But those basic things stayed.  Even though they hadn't been much of a thing before the 90s. Sneaker culture wasn't a thing before the 90s either. Not one bit. But that stayed also. if anything, it got HUGER. I'm not exactly sure why you don't get this. It's not that big of a deal. It may be that your own world was very different, and that's understandable.

Written By: Contigo on 11/05/21 at 6:22 pm

Take a look at any picture of the half a million people at the Woodstock festival in 1969 for example, and tell me how many baseball hats you see. Or long, baggy shorts. You won't find a whole heck of a lot in the 80s either, although they started to creep in just a bit. But in the 90s? BANG, they were everywhere. And today?? BANG, they're everywhere. They never went away after the 90s. Did you see a period after the 90s when baseball hats went away or shorts got CONSIDERABLY shorter again? HIGH fashion from the 90s went away as it does in any decade. But those basic things stayed.  Even though they hadn't been much of a thing before the 90s. Sneaker culture wasn't a thing before the 90s either. Not one bit. But that stayed also. if anything, it got HUGER.

Truth.

Written By: CarCar on 11/05/21 at 11:05 pm

Take a look at any picture of the half a million people at the Woodstock festival in 1969 for example, and tell me how many baseball hats you see. Or long, baggy shorts. You won't find a whole heck of a lot in the 80s either, although they started to creep in just a bit. But in the 90s? BANG, they were everywhere. And today?? BANG, they're everywhere. They never went away after the 90s. Did you see a period after the 90s when baseball hats went away or shorts got CONSIDERABLY shorter again? HIGH fashion from the 90s went away as it does in any decade. But those basic things stayed.  Even though they hadn't been much of a thing before the 90s. Sneaker culture wasn't a thing before the 90s either. Not one bit. But that stayed also. if anything, it got HUGER. I'm not exactly sure why you don't get this. It's not that big of a deal. It may be that your own world was very different, and that's understandable.

True, when people think of 90s styles they’re usually talking about colors or the style in which clothes are worn in not your average joe who doesn’t care as much about fashion and decided to put a SnapBack, Long sleeve sweater and dad jeans on. Overall I think it’s gonna be one of those things that people look back on and realize just how not as removed we were from the 90s in someways since it was considered the norm not a retro throwback

Written By: karen on 11/06/21 at 5:37 am

Strikes me that the OP could scroll back through threads on here and post some links to previous threads. If there really was a 90s backlash it should be easy to find topics that were posted at the time where we all complain about the nineties

Written By: Emman on 11/06/21 at 10:04 am

The whole '90s revival over the past 10 years always struck me as ridiculous, they were reviving very early '90s stuff, holdovers from the late '80s, like high top fades.

But when you get into the late 1990s it gets very hard to "revive" because there has not been much stylistic evolution since then, whether in fashion, music, designs, even most cars still have that compact, slick bulbous '90s look to this day in 2021.

Look at the whack attempts to revive the early 2000s now, it does not strike a chord, it's put on(clearly by kids too young to remember it), that's because by that point things were setting in, it doesn't look much different from today beyond some smart phone thing. All the trends of the last 20 years have either been revivals of old things(disco, pop punk, "electro-pop", boho chic, ect.) or perennial staples chugging along.

Clearly we reached a stylistic dead end by the year 2000.

Written By: batfan2005 on 11/07/21 at 7:46 am

The whole '90s revival over the past 10 years always struck me as ridiculous, they were reviving very early '90s stuff, holdovers from the late '80s, like high top fades.

But when you get into the late 1990s it gets very hard to "revive" because there has not been much stylistic evolution since then, whether in fashion, music, designs, even most cars still have that compact, slick bulbous '90s look to this day in 2021.

Look at the whack attempts to revive the early 2000s now, it does not strike a chord, it's put on(clearly by kids too young to remember it), that's because by that point things were setting in, it doesn't look much different from today beyond some smart phone thing. All the trends of the last 20 years have either been revivals of old things(disco, pop punk, "electro-pop", boho chic, ect.) or perennial staples chugging along.

Clearly we reached a stylistic dead end by the year 2000.

When I went to a 90's party a few years ago they seemed to focus more on the late 90's, mostly playing songs like the Backstreet Boys and early Britney Spears.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/07/21 at 12:35 pm

True, when people think of 90s styles they’re usually talking about colors or the style in which clothes are worn in not your average joe who doesn’t care as much about fashion and decided to put a SnapBack, Long sleeve sweater and dad jeans on. Overall I think it’s gonna be one of those things that people look back on and realize just how not as removed we were from the 90s in someways since it was considered the norm not a retro throwback

You are correct. What the 90s did was NORMALIZE things that weren't commonplace before the 90s such as baseball caps worn all the time constantly, long baggy shorts, or even the fact that males wear shorts all the time everywhere now and it doesn't even have to be hot out. And yes, SNEAKERS. Before the 90s, sneakers were basically a throwaway item that you paid ten bucks for and wore when you didn't want to get your good shoes dirty. You wore them until they wore out or got a lot of holes and then you tossed them and bought another pair for ten bucks or less. I'M NOT KIDDING. The NINETIES created the "sneaker as gold" mindset that continues on to this day with no sign of abating.

Written By: RLStern on 11/11/21 at 1:25 pm

Backstreet Boys weren't made fun of except by Rock/Hip-Hoppers even in the 90's

Backstreet boys were insanely popular until 2001.

Nothing from late 90's was parodied or made fun of until late 2000's.

Early and some Mid 90's however were made fun of as far back as the late 90's.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/11/21 at 2:38 pm

Backstreet Boys weren't made fun of except by Rock/Hip-Hoppers even in the 90's

Backstreet boys were insanely popular until 2001.

Nothing from late 90's was parodied or made fun of until late 2000's.

Early and some Mid 90's however were made fun of as far back as the late 90's.

Um no. "Which backstreet boy is gay" was a parody that was released in 2004 on FunnyJunk.com... Nice try. The most incorrect statement I've ever heard on this website I think.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/11/21 at 2:42 pm

Um no. "Which backstreet boy is gay" was a parody that was released in 2004 on FunnyJunk.com... Nice try. The most incorrect statement I've ever heard on this website I think.
Giving credit to Weird Al" Yankovic!

Written By: RLStern on 11/11/21 at 3:18 pm

Backstreet boys were always made fun of, for example Ben Stiller's parody of them in 1998 or The Rock & Kurt Angle mocking them in 2000 while they were still hot, that's not what I'm talking about.

I'm talking about when the late 90's became "outdated" and there was a backlash by EVERYONE, that didn't start until mid 2000's and peaked in late 2000's until the 2010's Nostalgia Craze started.

Also you ignored this from my post:

"Backstreet Boys weren't made fun of except by Rock/Hip-Hoppers even in the 90's"

Backstreet Boys were always made fun of by a certain group of adults, or the numetal/rock/rap crowd, I never said they weren't, I'm saying that Teenboppers/Pop heads didn't start doing it until late 2000's. And I'm not talking about merely being made fun of, but real backlash and being seen as uncool.

Backstreet Boys came back in the mid 2000's with somewhat success with "Incomplete", Y2K era wasn't too long before

Backstreet Boys, NSYNC, etc didn't start getting viewed as outdated and uncool until Late 2000's, like viewed as MC Hammer and Vanilla Ice were in the late 90's.

First time I remember thinking they were getting old was when I heard "I want it that way" for the first time in like 6-7 years in 2007, that's when websites started backlashing against them.

Guys like Weird Al, Rockers, Hip Hoppers? They always made fun of them, even WHILE they were hot.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/16/21 at 4:23 pm

The '90s received heavy backlash in the 2000s and I remember it clearly.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/16/21 at 4:54 pm

The '90s received heavy backlash in the 2000s and I remember it clearly.

I count nine other posters here (myself included) that testify there was no backlash. And one poster (you) who says there was. Now you're doubling down. That's why I'm thinking you may be letting personal experiences, whatever they may have been, color your view of this. The only other thing I can think of is that you have singled out (and are assigning too much significance to)  things with an extremely short shelf life like boy bands and novelty dance crazes that come with a built in backlash whether they existed in the 90s, 2000s or 1400s.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/16/21 at 8:27 pm

I count nine other posters here (myself included) that testify there was no backlash. And one poster (you) who says there was. Now you're doubling down. That's why I'm thinking you may be letting personal experiences, whatever they may have been, color your view of this. The only other thing I can think of is that you have singled out (and are assigning too much significance to)  things with an extremely short shelf life like boy bands and novelty dance crazes that come with a built in backlash whether they existed in the 90s, 2000s or 1400s.

And the fashion as well. You and other people obviously didn't pay much attention. Yes there was a '90s backlash in the 2000s, and a LARGE one at that.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/16/21 at 8:38 pm

And the fashion as well. You and other people obviously didn't pay much attention. Yes there was a '90s backlash in the 2000s, and a LARGE one at that.

We're going around in circles. We already proved pretty conclusively earlier in this thread that quite a segment of 90s fashions have become normalized and continue to this day.  Can you say SNEAKERS as LIFESTYLE? So there's no need to rehash. Please review earlier comments. And BELIEVE ME, I wish there WAS a "backlash" against 90s fashion so we wouldn't be stuck to this day with, among other things, "the schlub look" of baseball caps, bulky T shirts, baggy shorts and big sneakers which American men have adopted as a constant uniform. It's directly from the early 90s and shows no sign of vanishing. I PRAY for the day when it does.

Written By: RLStern on 11/17/21 at 9:22 am

No one's denying that, but that started usually 6-7 years after.

Early 90's wasn't made fun of until mid 90's.

Y2K era boybands, frosted tips and etc weren't made fun of until late 2000's, even in the mid 2000's some of the styles from late 90's existed.

Mid 2000's Mcbling was already being made fun of in late 2000's.

Written By: violet_shy on 11/18/21 at 2:45 pm

Wait....I think I do remember there being some 90s backlash in mid 2004. When I told my sister that early 90s music was beginning to sound dated. We cried, and cried. Yes, we were super dramatic about it! But they were happy nostalgic tears. I couldn't believe I had said that! Today, the early 90s seem very old and especially the early part of the decade. It came and went so fast.  :\'(

Check for new replies or respond here...