inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: My discoveries reading thru this forum's history

Written By: JacobThePlante on 11/16/21 at 5:24 pm

Over the past few months, I spent some time every day looking thru every single topic made on this "The 2000's" forum from its inception in 2004 to the end of the decade (Dec 2009). Here's some interesting discoveries I made:

-Everyone was torn on whether the decade just felt like a continuation of the 90s vs the decade felt completely different. There weren't many people in between. After 2007 or so then more people start agreeing the 2000's are distinct

-For the most part, the general consensus was the decade SUCKED

-Similarly, people HATED the music. At first all the talk was about how terrible glam rap/crunk was, then the hate shifted to emo once that blew up in late 2005/2006. However there was about 20% of members that were fans of the new rock style.

-2007 is the year everyone seemed to realize the goodness of YouTube and what it was becoming

-The most fascinating thing I got out of this is about the drastic shift toward electropop that happened in late 2008/2009. As I was going thru the years I was so looking forward to seeing what everyone had to say about the changes taking place, and to my shock there was next to NOTHING! Even tho these musical changes in a dominantly electronic direction were taking place right in front of everyone's eyes, no one seemed to noticed until late 2009, well into the era. Specifically the very first person to point it out was on a post in November 2008, they noticed new music was sounding "over-produced." In retrospect, the electropop era seemed like such a sudden change but I guess maybe it was a smoother transition than I originally thought.

-Animated movies weren't brought up much (I was kinda expecting that tho) and to my disappointment, Over the Hedge was only brought up like 3 times in the entirety of 2006 (just in lists of movies people liked from the year). I guess that movie's been slept on since the moment it premiered in theaters.

Subject: Re: My discoveries reading thru this forum's history

Written By: NightmareFarm on 11/16/21 at 6:36 pm

>-The most fascinating thing I got out of this is about the drastic shift toward electropop that happened in late 2008/2009. As I was going thru the years I was so looking forward to seeing what everyone had to say about the changes taking place, and to my shock there was next to NOTHING! Even tho these musical changes in a dominantly electronic direction were taking place right in front of everyone's eyes, no one seemed to noticed until late 2009, well into the era. Specifically the very first person to point it out was on a post in November 2008, they noticed new music was sounding "over-produced." In retrospect, the electropop era seemed like such a sudden change but I guess maybe it was a smoother transition than I originally thought.

That's because the electropop era REALLY began in mid/late 09. Late 08 and Early 09 was mostly core 00s music even if that was when electropop started to get big.

Check for new replies or respond here...