inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What do you remember of the (American) pop culture of 2003?

Written By: 90s Guy on 12/21/21 at 5:20 pm

Same as title.

Subject: Re: What do you remember of the (American) pop culture of 2003?

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/21/21 at 5:55 pm

Music: Mostly McBling rap like 50 Cent (In Da Club) and Jay-Z,  also Lil Jon, Outkast, and Beyoncé (Crazy in Love)
Movies: Pirates of the Caribbean, Finding Nemo, LotR 3
TV shows: OC and Arrested Development

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 12/22/21 at 11:23 am

Movies: Pirates of the Caribbean, Finding Nemo, LotR 3

I could be wrong, but I think Big Fat Liar also came out that year.

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/22/21 at 1:12 pm

I could be wrong, but I think Big Fat Liar also came out that year.

I had to look it up but it was actually 2002, and I'm not sure if that's memorable or not. Also in 2003 was one of the most icononic Christmas movie of all time, Elf. Also Matrix 2 & 3 were released that year.

Written By: popguru85 on 01/06/22 at 9:48 pm

I had to look it up but it was actually 2002, and I'm not sure if that's memorable or not. Also in 2003 was one of the most icononic Christmas movie of all time, Elf. Also Matrix 2 & 3 were released that year.

I remember the Matrix 3 being really hyped up with a few friends, we went to see it....and found it to be a little underwhelming. I also remember the Iraq War being really divisive.

Written By: fusefan on 01/21/22 at 6:20 pm

Iraq war dominating the news, Jokes about “freedom fries”, Toby Keith VS The Chicks, 80s nostalgia starting to get big especially because of VH1 making the “I Love The…” type shows., Anti-Bush jokes and sentiment, 50 cent becoming the biggest rapper that year, McBling aesthetic taking over, Pop-punk, Viva La Bam, Chappelle’s Show, Older people’s complaints about loud bass from cars and sagging pants, Big SUVs with spinners being the epitome of cool especially if that SUV was a Hummer H2, Escalade, or Denali. And jokes and complaints about said SUVs, Paris Hilton becoming popular (would you say she was an early version of an “influencer”?), “gay” being used as a pejorative…I’ll add more when it comes to mind…

Written By: duenas8 on 01/22/22 at 12:34 pm

Jim Carrey in Bruce Almighty

Written By: Slim95 on 01/23/22 at 2:15 pm

50 Cent

Written By: popguru85 on 01/23/22 at 9:40 pm

I remember trucker hats and the metrosexual look being really fashionable. I remember the 2003 California Governor Recall election getting a lot of press and jokes because Arnold wound up winning. The Dixie Chicks getting a lot of backlash for their anti Bush comments along with Steve Bartman catching a foul ball during a Cubs/Marlins game and some people believing that catch cost The Cubs a chance in the World Series. also Poker made a huge dent and was getting a lot of airtime on ESPN

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/24/22 at 10:16 am

I remember trucker hats and the metrosexual look being really fashionable. I remember the 2003 California Governor Recall election getting a lot of press and jokes because Arnold wound up winning. The Dixie Chicks getting a lot of backlash for their anti Bush comments along with Steve Bartman catching a foul ball during a Cubs/Marlins game and some people believing that catch cost The Cubs a chance in the World Series. also Poker made a huge dent and was getting a lot of airtime on ESPN

Yes, I remember QEFTSG being popular that year with the metrosexual fad. I also remember the Iraq War and anger/jokes towards the French (I was in the military so it was especially a conservative, patriotic, pro-Bush/pro-war culture). Also I was living in California at the time so I especially remember the recall election for Arnold.

Written By: LooseBolt on 02/05/22 at 4:20 am

Von Dutch/Drunk, Stacy’s Mom, Seven Nation Army, WarCraft 3, Zelda: The Wind Waker, the end of Nickelodeon’s Slime Time Live, etc.

Check for new replies or respond here...