inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why did kids television go downhill after 2006?

Written By: sonic2005 on 07/26/22 at 3:05 am

It seems like 2005 was the peak while 2006 was fine but nothing special then around 2007 nickelodeon, Disney channel/toon Disney, cartoon network, kids wb etc all started to go downhill around the late 00s what happened? Not just the shows either even the bumpers/promos etc lost that flare (although you can say that for most late 00 tv) what do you guys think happened you think the writers strike was part of the reason?

Subject: Re: Why did kids television go downhill after 2006?

Written By: NightmareFarm on 07/26/22 at 3:19 am

IMO it started going down the sheeshter after like 2011. Regular Show was amazing, everything else on CN ranged from meh to trash and Ben 10 series started going to sheesh when Omniverse came out and Ultimate Alien finished.

Written By: Howard on 07/26/22 at 3:26 am

It seems like 2005 was the peak while 2006 was fine but nothing special then around 2007 nickelodeon, Disney channel/toon Disney, cartoon network, kids wb etc all started to go downhill around the late 00s what happened? Not just the shows either even the bumpers/promos etc lost that flare (although you can say that for most late 00 tv) what do you guys think happened you think the writers strike was part of the reason?

I remember growing up as a kid that I used to always watch cartoons in front of the TV but now as I'm all grown up I watch other things on television, but I think the reason it went downhill is because most likely shows have become boring.

Written By: sonikuu on 07/30/22 at 1:46 am

It went downhill because you grew older. I remember thinking kids TV went downhill after the 90s because I myself was no longer a kid.

Written By: Howard on 07/30/22 at 6:51 am

It went downhill because you grew older. I remember thinking kids TV went downhill after the 90s because I myself was no longer a kid.

Kids TV grew in popularity during The early to mid 1980's when cartoons were on during Saturdays And Sundays.

Written By: Contigo on 07/30/22 at 2:15 pm

Exactly.
I watched cartoons in the early to late 1960s, to me they were the best (coz of the age I was) and for me they went downhill after that. My sister who was a bit younger than me says the cartoons from the early to mid 70s were the best (again , because of the age she was at the time). My son says the cartoons from the mid 1990s were the best.

Kids TV grew in popularity during The early to mid 1980's when cartoons were on during Saturdays And Sundays.

Cartoons were very popular in the early to mid 1960s too when I watched them, and have been popular ever since to the demographic that watches them

Written By: Howard on 07/30/22 at 2:20 pm

Exactly.
I watched cartoons in the early to late 1960s, to me they were the best (coz of the age I was) and for me they went downhill after that. My sister who was a bit younger than me says the cartoons from the early to mid 70s were the best (again , because of the age she was at the time). My son says the cartoons from the mid 1990s were the best.
Cartoons were very popular in the early to mid 1960s too when I watched them, and have been popular ever since to the demographic that watches them

Contigo, I used to watch my cartoons on a Saturday morning in front of the television, from mornings up until the early afternoons.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/30/22 at 3:57 pm

I remember when I was a teen, coming home from school and my mother was watching Popeye (one of the cartoons I never liked). Another time, I remember my mother & step-father watching Rocky & Bullwinkle. I watched that as a kid but as I was a bit older, I GOT many of the jokes that I was sure went over kids' heads. That's when I realized what made a good kids show-adults enjoy them, too.

I used to watch a bunch of kids shows in the '90s when I lived alone-Where In The World Is Carmen Santiago, Sailor Moon, Are You Afraid Of The Dark, The Puzzle Place to name some of them.

In the '00s, I didn't watch as much t.v. And when I did, I had to share the t.v. so I didn't always get to choose the programing. My sister, on the other hand, her t.v. is ALWAYS tuned to the Cartoon Network. She LOVES cartoons-especially Spongebob. (Never seen the show, myself.) I should be familiar with some of them because of the grandkids but when we get with them, t.v. is not being watched.

Personally, I think it has to do with dumbing down. Not only are kids shows reflecting that, but adult shows, too. I think it shows are written for intelligent viewers, viewers will become intelligent watching them.

Cat

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/30/22 at 4:04 pm

Personally, I think it has to do with dumbing down. Not only are kids shows reflecting that, but adult shows, too. I think it shows are written for intelligent viewers, viewers will become intelligent watching them.

Cat

EXACTLY! And not only have they been dumbed down, they have become so sanitized due to political correctness (DARE I say "wokeism") that they are unwatchable by children or adults in my opinion. The old Bugs Bunny and Loony Tune cartoons of my youth (many of which were made in the 40s) are absolutely forbidden today. Many have been censored, some have been downright eliminated. But they were wickedly clever and sly. Enjoyable on a surface level for children (funny talking bunny) but fun for adults who got the jokes. Good luck finding anything like it now in the sea of blandness that is today's children's programming.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/30/22 at 5:34 pm

EXACTLY! And not only have they been dumbed down, they have become so sanitized due to political correctness (DARE I say "wokeism") that they are unwatchable by children or adults in my opinion. The old Bugs Bunny and Loony Tune cartoons of my youth (many of which were made in the 40s) are absolutely forbidden today. Many have been censored, some have been downright eliminated. But they were wickedly clever and sly. Enjoyable on a surface level for children (funny talking bunny) but fun for adults who got the jokes. Good luck finding anything like it now in the sea of blandness that is today's children's programming.

You mean like "Kill the wabbit, kill the wabbit"?  ;)

Cat

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/30/22 at 5:50 pm

You mean like "Kill the wabbit, kill the wabbit"?  ;)

Cat

Oh, that's the least of it. There were drug references, references to homosexuality, etc, etc. And Pepe LePew has been cancelled completely.

The character's antics have been criticized for normalizing rape culture, and perpetuating stereotypes of French culture. Amber E. George, in her 2017 essay "Pride or Prejudice? Exploring Issues of Queerness, Speciesism, and Disability in Warner Bros. Looney Tunes", describes Pepé's actions towards Penelope Pussycat as "sexual harassment, stalking, and abuse".
-Wikipedia

Written By: piecesof93 on 07/30/22 at 6:35 pm

Television in general went down hill in 2007. Kids and adult shows alike. And there were too many reality shows.

Written By: ewop on 07/30/22 at 8:05 pm

Forget kids shows, tv in general has gone downhill since then.  The quality sitcoms were cancelled and replaced by worse ones or boring "real" shows

Subject: Why did kids television go downhill after 2006?

Written By: Dude111 on 07/30/22 at 10:08 pm

I think it went downhill in the 80s!!

This stupid bloody Barney crap and other stupidity!!

Written By: Howard on 07/31/22 at 2:57 am

Oh, that's the least of it. There were drug references, references to homosexuality, etc, etc. And Pepe LePew has been cancelled completely.

The character's antics have been criticized for normalizing rape culture, and perpetuating stereotypes of French culture. Amber E. George, in her 2017 essay "Pride or Prejudice? Exploring Issues of Queerness, Speciesism, and Disability in Warner Bros. Looney Tunes", describes Pepé's actions towards Penelope Pussycat as "sexual harassment, stalking, and abuse".
-Wikipedia

Why did Pepe LePew get canceled? ??? It's only a skunk.

Written By: Howard on 07/31/22 at 2:59 am

Television in general went down hill in 2007. Kids and adult shows alike. And there were too many reality shows.

Kids grew up and wound up with different tastes in shows.

Written By: 90skid93 on 08/06/22 at 11:20 pm

It actually went downhill after 2004 which was the year the rest of the 90s shows that were still on the air ended. The powerpuff girls Dexter's Lab Rugrats Hey Arnold all ended in 2004/2005 and re-runs stopped airing after early 2007. While i will agree that the mid/late 2000s kids television was not as good as the shows that came before and there definitely was a noticeable decline television during that period still hadn't gone to complete sheesh yet iMO because there were still some decent shows on at that time. It wasn't until after 2007 when television started going to sheesh IMO.     

Written By: Howard on 08/07/22 at 3:13 am

Or I think it could be that the demographic got a bit older and they started getting interested in other things instead of children's shows.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/07/22 at 3:27 am

Bring back the Teletubbies!

Written By: Howard on 08/07/22 at 2:34 pm

I never watched The Teletubbies.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/07/22 at 2:53 pm

The Teletubbies creeped me out. What was that baby in the sun that they all worshipped?  Was that supposed to be God? Nobody ever mentions that sun-baby when they talk about Teletubbies.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/07/22 at 4:09 pm

OMG! TINKY WINKY IS GAY!!!!

Cat

Written By: BotleyCrew on 08/07/22 at 4:47 pm

The Teletubbies creeped me out. What was that baby in the sun that they all worshipped?  Was that supposed to be God? Nobody ever mentions that sun-baby when they talk about Teletubbies.

The woman who played the Baby in the Sun is funny. She's the only person I've ever seen who looks the same as they did as a baby

https://www.thesun.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/tp-composite-teletubbies.jpg?strip=all&quality=100&w=750&h=500&crop=1

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/07/22 at 5:07 pm

The woman who played the Baby in the Sun is funny. She's the only person I've ever seen who looks the same as they did as a baby

But the question remains. Why did they all fall down on their knees and oooh and aah in hushed tones whenever the sun-baby appeared? SOOOO bizarre.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/08/22 at 2:11 am

But the question remains. Why did they all fall down on their knees and oooh and aah in hushed tones whenever the sun-baby appeared? SOOOO bizarre.
Here come the sun-baby

Cuando para mucho mi amore de felice corazón?

Written By: Howard on 08/08/22 at 3:00 am

OMG! TINKY WINKY IS GAY!!!!

Cat

Were there rumors or was he really gay?

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/08/22 at 6:55 am

'Gay Tinky Winky bad for children'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/276677.stm

Written By: Howard on 08/08/22 at 1:24 pm

'Gay Tinky Winky bad for children'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/276677.stm

He's purple doesn't mean he's gay. ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/08/22 at 1:27 pm

He's purple doesn't mean he's gay. ::)
Are you suggesting that Barney is gay too?

Written By: Howard on 08/08/22 at 2:00 pm

Are you suggesting that Barney is gay too?

No I never suggested that, He's just purple maybe that's the way the makers of Barney wanted him to look like on television.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/08/22 at 2:05 pm

He was a character on a children's show! He was neither hetero or gay. HE WASN'T REAL!!!!!

Cat

Written By: Howard on 08/09/22 at 3:07 am

He was a character on a children's show! He was neither hetero or gay. HE WASN'T REAL!!!!!

Cat

I just wanted to know, I didn't watch Teletubbies.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/12/22 at 9:42 pm

I was a kid back then and I noticed it. It felt like everything got more girly in 2006. And corny too.

Written By: Howard on 08/13/22 at 6:55 am

I guess the reason it went downhill is because the demographic grew up and started watching other things on television.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/13/22 at 2:50 pm

I guess the reason it went downhill is because the demographic grew up and started watching other things on television.

There is ALWAYS 6 year olds just like there is ALWAYS 13 year olds and 24 year olds, and...

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/13/22 at 3:03 pm

Was it because, on December 17, 2006, Viacom's MTV Networks Kids & Family Group division took over operational responsibilities for TV Land from Nick at Nite (concurrent with Nickelodeon taking operational duties for Nick at Nite), though TV Land continues to be operated as part of the company's Viacom Media Networks unit?

Check for new replies or respond here...