inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The 2007 Remembrance Thread

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/01/23 at 2:36 pm

Not sure if this thread has already been done, but what comes to your mind when you think about 2007? If I had to pick one song and one movie that screams "2007", here's what comes to mind:

CvBfHwUxHIk

Runner up would be "Crank Dat" by Soulja Boy

UrIbxk7idYA

It was either this or the cringeworthy Spiderman 3. Transformers was another one.

Subject: Re: The 2007 Remembrance Thread

Written By: nally on 01/01/23 at 4:59 pm

I think that was the year that the first-ever Google Street View imagery came into existence. (Of course, it was all grainy.)

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/01/23 at 7:13 pm

I think that was the year that the first-ever Google Street View imagery came into existence. (Of course, it was all grainy.)

That sounds about right. I first started using it in 2008. I also remember learning about Google Earth in 2006 and looking at satellite images of familiar places.

Written By: nally on 01/01/23 at 7:41 pm

That sounds about right. I first started using it in 2008. I also remember learning about Google Earth in 2006 and looking at satellite images of familiar places.

Yeah, I did too. Even today, looking at such places on Google Satellite View can sorta give an idea as to what has changed since you were there on a regular basis years ago. (Such as the schools you went to.)

It is a lot more fun to see them from the street level, I’m sure.

I know that the oldest GSV imagery dates back to about June 2007 (the date appears in the top left corner I think); most of it is still available at specific locations. It didn’t start to get sharper/clearer until about 2009 or so.

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 01/01/23 at 8:33 pm

I like the sound of this thread!
I made a "2007 Nostalgia" thread, but I still like this.

I don't believe it was hugely popular, if popular in general, but I think of "Still Dreaming" by Silverstein when I think of that year.

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/02/23 at 9:25 am

In tech, I remember that was the year that the first iPhone and Windows Vista were released.

Written By: Wink-182 on 01/02/23 at 1:57 pm

Ah, 2007. One of my favorite years of the 2000s. The Late 2000s was when I really started noticing the world around me, seeing movie trailers on TV and hearing and recognizing pop music and general pop culture stuff (I know I'm a bit on the younger side at 20 compared to the rest of you guys, but still). Summer of '07 had a lot of big blockbuster hits, Spiderman 3, Transformers, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, The Simpsons Movie. Just to name a few, but I remember Transformers really had my attention back then plus was had a huge AD campaign. I feel like it's such a time capsule on late 2000s cinema, with Shia LaBeouf being a rising star at that time and plus Linkin Park's "What I've Done" being a huge summer song as well. The Sopranos finale was also a huge event that summer as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxQxgAfNzyE

Trailer till gives me goosebumps to this day, but I'll also include another big song from that year as well. Crunk was at it's all time peak I feel in 2007 as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwyE3WJ4AWo

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/02/23 at 3:35 pm

Ah, 2007. One of my favorite years of the 2000s. The Late 2000s was when I really started noticing the world around me, seeing movie trailers on TV and hearing and recognizing pop music and general pop culture stuff (I know I'm a bit on the younger side at 20 compared to the rest of you guys, but still). Summer of '07 had a lot of big blockbuster hits, Spiderman 3, Transformers, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, The Simpsons Movie. Just to name a few, but I remember Transformers really had my attention back then plus was had a huge AD campaign. I feel like it's such a time capsule on late 2000s cinema, with Shia LaBeouf being a rising star at that time and plus Linkin Park's "What I've Done" being a huge summer song as well. The Sopranos finale was also a huge event that summer as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxQxgAfNzyE

Trailer till gives me goosebumps to this day, but I'll also include another big song from that year as well. Crunk was at it's all time peak I feel in 2007 as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwyE3WJ4AWo

Transformers was my personal favorite movie of the year. I'll never forget when I first heard the sound effects of the cars transforming into robots, as I grew up watching the cartoon series back in the 80's.

I forgot all about the MiMs song. When was that song popular, was it in the early part or in the summer? I also remember this song:

pxjZM-d_ShI

And this was very popular in the summer, I remember everyone getting on the dance floor to do that dance when it was playing. Also the baggy clothes and ballcaps at 45 degree angles were the thing.

8UFIYGkROII

Written By: Wink-182 on 01/02/23 at 6:31 pm

Transformers was my personal favorite movie of the year. I'll never forget when I first heard the sound effects of the cars transforming into robots, as I grew up watching the cartoon series back in the 80's.

I forgot all about the MiMs song. When was that song popular, was it in the early part or in the summer? I also remember this song:

pxjZM-d_ShI

And this was very popular in the summer, I remember everyone getting on the dance floor to do that dance when it was playing. Also the baggy clothes and ballcaps at 45 degree angles were the thing.

8UFIYGkROII

According to Wikipedia that Mims song was released on the 23rd of January of that year, but it might not got big until the summer. Summer of 2007 had a lot of iconic songs for that year, in rock the Emo craze was in full swing with My Chemical Romance and Fall Out Boy but I do really enjoy a-lot of the R&B that was coming out around that time as well, Akon being a big name in R&B for that year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWA5hJl4Dv0

Written By: nally on 01/02/23 at 10:03 pm

It was on November 2nd of that year when I made my 100,000th post on this site.

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/03/23 at 10:47 am

I remember this song being popular in the early part of the year:

O0lf_fE3HwA

It was the 2nd single from the album also with the same title, while her lead single from it, "Wind It Up" was popular in late 2006 around the holiday season.

Also with "Glamorous" by Fergie was in the charts around that time. Later on in the year her hits "Clumsy" and "Big Girls Don't Cry" were popular. I can't remember when "Fergalicious" was popular, it might have been before in 2006 but after "London Bridge" which was her lead single from The Dutchess album.

Written By: nally on 01/03/23 at 7:31 pm

Gwen Stefani- The Sweet Escape

It was the 2nd single from the album also with the same title, while her lead single from it, "Wind It Up" was popular in late 2006 around the holiday season.

That is one solo hit of hers that I actually liked; I found it rather catchy.

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/16/23 at 2:26 pm

That is one solo hit of hers that I actually liked; I found it rather catchy.

I liked her previous album, L.A.M.B. a lot more. Pretty much every song on there was enjoyable, even Hollaback Girl for nostalgia/guilty pleasure purposes. Her Sweet Escape album had a few other good ones aside from the title song and Wind It Up such as Orange County Girl and U Started It.

Written By: lolabee on 01/22/23 at 5:55 pm

Even as a kid, I remember that 'The Sweet Escape' that everyone liked, I couldn't get into it. Too commercial? There was a plastic vibe to it.
I saw her in Montreal (in 2007!) and I remember that my interest toward her slowly faded after that..

Written By: nally on 01/22/23 at 6:27 pm

I liked her previous album, L.A.M.B. a lot more. Pretty much every song on there was enjoyable, even Hollaback Girl for nostalgia/guilty pleasure purposes. Her Sweet Escape album had a few other good ones aside from the title song and Wind It Up such as Orange County Girl and U Started It.

Well, for me I liked “Sweet Escape” cuz it was catchy to me (as stated above), and I also liked “Cool” (2005). But not her other solo songs so much. Just my humble opinion.

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/15/23 at 7:31 am

One of my favorite movies of 2007:

BV_nssS6Zkg

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/07/23 at 11:13 am

yNncHPl1UXg

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/17/23 at 10:21 am

Here is my data dump list of what comes to mind when I think about 2007:

- Britney Spears shaving her head
- The Virginia Tech shooting
- The first iPhone
- Windows Vista
- Music: Rihanna's "Umbrella", Soulja Boy Tell 'Em, Timberland, Kanye West's Graduation album, Alicia Keys "No One", Beyonce's "Irreplaceable", T-Pain's "Buy U a Drank", Amy Winehouse, Sean Kingston
- Movies: Spiderman 3, Transformers, 300, The Simpsons Movie, American Gangster, Stomp the Yard, I Am Legend, Enchanted, No Country for Old Men, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Superbad, Knocked Up, Blades of Glory, I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry
- TV: The Big Bang Theory, Gossip Girl, Terminator: The Sarah Conner Chronicles, Chuck, Mad Men
- Gaming: Super Mario Galaxy on the Wii, Assassin's Creed on PS3

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 03/17/23 at 8:06 pm

- Movies: Spiderman 3, Transformers, 300, The Simpsons Movie, American Gangster, Stomp the Yard, I Am Legend, Enchanted, No Country for Old Men, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Superbad, Knocked Up, Blades of Glory, I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry
- Gaming: Super Mario Galaxy on the Wii, Assassin's Creed on PS3

I remember my firsthand (or, that is, "upon release" if "firsthand" is the wrong word) accounts of watching Blades of Glory and The Simpsons Movie, and playing Super Mario Galaxy. Or it was at least the same year of release, for my first experiences of SM Galaxy and The Simpsons Movie.

I like all 3 of them, although I'll have to go back to that video game years from now since I never beat it.

A thought that comes to me now thinking of The Simpsons Movie is, "whatever state Springfield is in, it isn't Alaska," since when Homer said he wanted to take the family to Alaska, nobody in the family rushed to correct him.

Written By: 90skid93 on 03/21/23 at 6:11 pm

O0lf_fE3HwA

Also with "Glamorous" by Fergie was in the charts around that time. Later on in the year her hits "Clumsy" and "Big Girls Don't Cry" were popular. I can't remember when "Fergalicious" was popular, it might have been before in 2006 but after "London Bridge" which was her lead single from The Dutchess album.

Good song.

Written By: Big Smoke on 03/22/23 at 6:52 pm

Here is my data dump list of what comes to mind when I think about 2007:
- The first iPhone

fck beat me to it

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/04/23 at 9:13 am

Bridge to Terabithia is another movie I remembered. I just watched it again yesterday and I appreciated it more this time. I think I just wasn't ready for it the first time when I saw it in theaters back in 2007. It's not the typical Disney family movie.

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/15/23 at 12:33 pm

The recent Writer's Guild strike that started a few weeks ago reminded be of the one in late 2007 which lasted until February 2008.

Check for new replies or respond here...