» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: A tribute to a true American hero

Written By: Rice_Cube on 04/23/04 at 9:23 pm

Former NFL player-turned-soldier dies in Afghanistan

The story speaks for itself.  This actually affected me really deeply and I feel like I lost someone important after reading about this.  I thought I'd share this with y'all if you haven't heard yet.  Thoughts welcome.

Subject: Re: A tribute to a true American hero

Written By: Jessica on 04/24/04 at 2:20 am

I wanted to cry my eyes out when I read this. Much like every other soldier out there, this man is a true American hero.

Written By: Meltd0wn on 04/24/04 at 2:49 pm

I was also saddened by this but NOT because he played sports. Hell I hate sports. I was sad because yet another life is gone forever.

i do have a problem with the media making such a bigger deal over his death than over all the others who have died so far. he is no more special than 'joe/jane average' who probably had a low wage job, a family to support, etc.

ALL of them are Heros. and ALL deserve Equal Tribute, Respect, and Honor.

I moarn for the family of all those who have lost thier lives. nomatter if they were famous before they inlisted or not.

Written By: Dagwood on 04/24/04 at 7:37 pm

I agree.

I am proud of him, though.  He was a man who gave up a huge contract playing football because he felt a duty to his country.  Not many pro-athletes would do that.

My thoughts and prayers are with his family and the families of the other soldiers killed in the line of duty.  Without them we wouldn't be free.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 04/25/04 at 10:54 am

I agree.

I am proud of him, though.  He was a man who gave up a huge contract playing football because he felt a duty to his country.  Not many pro-athletes would do that.

My thoughts and prayers are with his family and the families of the other soldiers killed in the line of duty.  Without them we wouldn't be free.
Well said, Dagney.  I feel the same way....

Written By: pennsygirl on 04/26/04 at 7:09 am

I agree.

Well said, you are so right.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 04/26/04 at 7:34 am

I was also saddened by this but NOT because he played sports. Hell I hate sports. I was sad because yet another life is gone forever.

i do have a problem with the media making such a bigger deal over his death than over all the others who have died so far. he is no more special than 'joe/jane average' who probably had a low wage job, a family to support, etc.

I moarn for the family of all those who have lost thier lives. nomatter if they were famous before they inlisted or not.

I was saying something to a friend of mine in the States a couple of days ago, and it was almost verbatim as per the above post  :o  I admire the courage of his convictions to do what he thought was right, but that does not put him any further above anyone else for me.

Damn well said Meltd0wn  ;)

I would like to expand it a little further and say all COALITION troops.  Please try not to forget the other countries that are there beside the US.  ;)  We may be small, but that's because, well, we are small !

And though it hasn't happened in this war, it has in others.  My heart goes out for conscripts, and their families, because they are less equipped emotionally for what they are going in to face, and if the myriad of movies about Vietnam have any basis in fact, they don't get a lot of support from the regulars. 

Written By: Tbullsr on 05/06/04 at 5:37 pm

Obviously this man is a great human being. He did what he thought he had to do - his calling if you will. Not many people would turn down millions of dollars to fight for their country. Anyone who isn't greedy or materialistic is o.k. with me. R.I.P. Pat

Tim
RATT-n-ROLL

Written By: hoogbest on 06/03/04 at 8:07 am

America continues to be safe and free because of brave unselfish men who take their sense of duty and responsibility to the highest level. As long as there are people in the world who would kill innocent people and take away their freedom, warriors like Tillman will rise up and fight to the death to defend that freedom.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/03/04 at 12:53 pm

America continues to be safe and free because of brave unselfish men who take their sense of duty and responsibility to the highest level. As long as there are people in the world who would kill innocent people and take away their freedom, warriors like Tillman will rise up and fight to the death to defend that freedom.

Glory, Glory Hallelujah!  But, come on, do you REALLY think the Iraqis were a threat to OUR "freedom"?

Written By: AL-B on 06/03/04 at 8:09 pm

Glory, Glory Hallelujah!  But, come on, do you REALLY think the Iraqis were a threat to OUR "freedom"?
No, but AL-QAEDA IS. Say what you will about the war in Iraq, I think that our operations in Afghanistan to seek out and eliminate al-Qaeda are totally necessary and justified. Pat Tillman was killed in Afghanistan, not Iraq.

Check for new replies or respond here...