» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Should We Be Allowed To Own Guns?

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/06/04 at 4:20 pm

A few years ago rosie tried to embarass Tom Selleck (Who is for the right to own guns) becasue he dared diagree with her on gun laws...other have carried on about..."Guns need to be taken away from people"....now while I agree that it not be so easy to get a gun, we should still have the right to own one.  My answer back to all the people who want them out of peoples hands is simply this: If you take the guns away from the law abiding citizens, the criminals will STILL be able to get them.  There are of course exceptions.  The @ss that murdered my son was in the Army at the time and had a gun already.....BTW...after rosies little tirade about how much she's against them anywher near her, they found her bodyguards were all stocked up...what a hypocrite. Arguments?  I'm sure there will be a few :-\\

Subject: Re: Should We Be Allowed To Own Guns?

Written By: SmithsGirl on 05/06/04 at 4:58 pm

"Thou shalt not kill " is the 6th Commandment. Guns kill...murder is a sin.

SmithsGirl

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/06/04 at 5:08 pm

SmithsGirl
I hate to say this but....people kill people....i don't like guns either...and if there was some way to eliminate ALL guns from everywhere than I'd love that but the thugs will ALWAYS have them and we won't have them to protect ourselves :-\\

Written By: SmithsGirl on 05/06/04 at 5:12 pm

But... people wouldn't kill people with guns, if guns didn't exist.

I hate guns and I hate criminals and I hate the fact that good people like you have to lose their loved one's due to those two things.

SmithsGirl

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/06/04 at 5:17 pm

I hate guns and I hate criminals and I hate the fact that good people like you have to lose their loved one's due to those two things.

SmithsGirl

Thanks for saying that, Smithsgirl ;) I also totally agree with the first part...but, sadly guns will never dissappear

Written By: gamblefish on 05/06/04 at 5:23 pm

SmithsGirl

Actually, I believe a better rendering is "Thou shalt not murder..."

I agree with RnRFan...guns are a reality. They exist. They will never cease to exist.
We should be able to arm ourselves for protection.

Written By: SmithsGirl on 05/06/04 at 5:24 pm

I wish they were never invented and I wish the government and society could some how *dreams* get rid of them forever  :-\\

SmithsGirl

Written By: BUNNY on 05/06/04 at 5:56 pm

This has been a debate for years but I want to protect my family.
So I say yes.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/06/04 at 7:09 pm

I don't believe in gun prohibition but I do believe in gun CONTROL! I think it should be tough to be able to get a gun. I think owning a gun should be a PRIVILEGE. If someone wants to own a gun, they should have to go through a safety course, have a background check (a thorough one that will take longer than it does now), and have to have a waiting period before he/she can purchase a firearm. I think that gun show and personal sales loophole should be taken out and they should extend the ban on semi-automatic weapons. Why in the world would ANYBODY need an AK47? There is only one purpose for that weapon and that is to kill people. Where I live we have many hunters. Many are very good people and they use their rifles very responsibly. I don't want to take guns away from them (I love venison  ;)) but I don't want someone with a gun in his hand, thinking that a deer is wearing a bright orange vest.

For myself, I don't like guns and do not own one-nor will I ever. But, like I said, I do not want to take away the guns of people who use them responsibly and respectfully.

Cat

Written By: jaytee on 05/06/04 at 7:15 pm

I don't believe in gun prohibition but I do believe in gun CONTROL! I think it should be tough to be able to get a gun. I think owning a gun should be a PRIVILEGE. If someone wants to own a gun, they should have to go through a safety course, have a background check (a thorough one that will take longer than it does now), and have to have a waiting period before he/she can purchase a firearm. I think that gun show and personal sales loophole should be taken out and they should extend the ban on semi-automatic weapons. Why in the world would ANYBODY need an AK47? There is only one purpose for that weapon and that is to kill people. Where I live we have many hunters. Many are very good people and they use their rifles very responsibly. I don't want to take guns away from them (I love venison  ;)) but I don't want someone with a gun in his hand, thinking that a deer is wearing a bright orange vest.

For myself, I don't like guns and do not own one-nor will I ever. But, like I said, I do not want to take away the guns of people who use them responsibly and respectfully.

Cat

Well said Cat!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/06/04 at 7:21 pm

Cat
EXACTLY....now That's what I'm talkin' about ;)

Written By: Claude_Prez on 05/06/04 at 10:21 pm

I think the question is phrased wrong.  Not "Should we be allowed to own guns", but "Should the government be allowed to disarm law-abiding citizens?"

No.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/06/04 at 10:25 pm

I think the question is phrased wrong.  Not "Should we be allowed to own guns", but "Should the government be allowed to disarm law-abiding citizens?"

No.
Thanks Claude_Prez....I agree :)

Written By: AL-B on 05/06/04 at 10:51 pm

SmithsGirl

It is true, people wouldn't kill each other with guns if guns didn't exist. They could always use knives, or swords, or arrows, or rocks, or sledgehammers, or baseball bats, or tire irons, or slingshots, or lawn darts, or bowling balls, or ball-point pens, or cyanide, or frying pans, or neckties, or rolling pins, or, as George Carlin once said, hell, you could probably beat someone to death with the Sunday New York Times if you really wanted to.

Written By: 80sRocked on 05/06/04 at 11:14 pm

"Guns don't kill people, People kill people"

There will always be the freaks in society that give the majority of good people a bad rep.

I own guns, an I am trained in using them, I have been through the background checks, and I don't have any plans on going on a shooting rampage. 

Personally, if I were to walk through a dark alley at night alone, I would be more scared of being attacked by a knife than a gun.  If anyone hasn't noticed, when someone shoots a gun in the middle of a city, people tend to look in that direction. ;)

If you are going to get rid of guns simply because they could potentially be used to kill someone, then you have to also get rid of knives and anything else that could potentially be used to kill someone.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/06/04 at 11:18 pm

There will always be the freaks in society that give the majority of good people a bad rep.

I own guns, an I am trained in using them, I have been through the background checks, and I don't have any plans on going on a shooting rampage. 

Personally, if I were to walk through a dark alley at night alone, I would be more scared of being attacked by a knife than a gun.  If anyone hasn't noticed, when someone shoots a gun in the middle of a city, people tend to look in that direction. ;)

If you are going to get rid of guns simply because they could potentially be used to kill someone, then you have to also get rid of knives and anything else that could potentially be used to kill someone.
People next door noticed when my son got shot but unfortunately the @ss shot him right through the heart....they told us if He'd have been shot on the friking operating table they still couldn't have saved him :\'(

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/06/04 at 11:44 pm

Guns don't kill people, bullets kill people!  ;)

Constitutional scholars have come down more on the side of the National Rifle Associate than on the side of the liberals.  The Second Amendment to the Bill of Rights, they say, applies to INDIVIDUALS, not just organized militias.  I don't own a gun, and have no interest.  It disturbs me that the people most passionate about guns are the people who I least want to see be able to own guns...And it gets even more disturbing.
The Second Amendment says nothing about guns.  It says, IIRC, "the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be abridged."  What is an "arm"?  In this case, it's any weapon.  The Framers were so general because weapons in 1790 were so limited.  So, they didn't add an exceptions clause.  Until we amend the amendment or repeal it, I should be able to own machine guns, artillary, grenades, anti-personnel mines, tanks, and fighter jets.  I should have the right to bear conventional and nuclear bombs and missiles!  Mind you, I should have to buy these armaments on the open market, and I shouldn't be allowed to write them off my taxes.

Written By: 80sRocked on 05/07/04 at 12:07 am

Guns don't kill people, bullets kill people!  ;)

True, but a bullet alone cannot harm anyone, it has to be shot out of a gun by a person to do harm. ;)

Like I said, I'm a gun owner.  I've been through training, I use them for target and recreational shooting on the weekend.  And occasionally I will hunt with them in season.

My statement for anyone who feels we should have all guns confiscated:

Taking guns away from all of the law-abiding citizens will only result in the guns being left in the hands of criminals.  Not only that but it will create an even larger black-market than there already is.  And furthermore, look at the last time we tried to abolish a common element in our society (alcohol), and look how good that did.  Anyone that wanted it got it no matter what, and in the process became instant criminals.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/07/04 at 12:41 am

True, but a bullet alone cannot harm anyone, it has to be shot out of a gun by a person to do harm. ;)
Like I said, I'm a gun owner.  I've been through training, I use them for target and recreational shooting on the weekend.  And occasionally I will hunt with them in season.

My statement for anyone who feels we should have all guns confiscated:
Taking guns away from all of the law-abiding citizens will only result in the guns being left in the hands of criminals.  Not only that but it will create an even larger black-market than there already is.  And furthermore, look at the last time we tried to abolish a common element in our society (alcohol), and look how good that did.  Anyone that wanted it got it no matter what, and in the process became instant criminals.

I like AL-B's quote from George Carlin (I like any quote from George Carlin!)as George Carlin once said, hell, you could probably beat someone to death with the Sunday New York Times if you really wanted to.
I was being facetious about the extremes of 2nd amendment rights, though how far the big 2nd goes is still a hot debate.  I'm not against gun rights, but America needs to address its violence problem and do something about it.  A simplistic answer is to confiscate guns, like the did in the UK, but that'll never work here for the reasons you've cited.
Speaking of violence, we're approaching the 10th anniversary of you know who....

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/07/04 at 8:09 am

250,000 people were murdered in Rwanda 10 years ago, the vast, VAST majority killed with clubs, machetes, knives, and fists.

The problem today is that most gun crime is perpetrated by known felons.  Felons ALREADY are prohibited from owning weapons.  One more law is not gonna stop them.

The right to self-defense is the most basic human right.  So personal gun ownership must not be abrogated.

The people who want to take your guns away are the same people who want to tax you into oblivion so that they do not need to work.  The same people who want to take away YOUR freedom of speech that varies from their "politically correct" approved speech.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 05/07/04 at 8:53 am

I wish they were never invented and I wish the government and society could some how *dreams* get rid of them forever  :-\\

SmithsGirl

Regrettably, this does not work.  The Australian Government attempted just that after the Port Arthur massacre in Tasmania in April 1996

http://www.crimelibrary.com/notorious_murders/mass/bryant/index_1.html

All it meant was that a whole bunch of gun owners were given money for their old crappy, even non-working guns.  Who funded this ?  The taxpayer, many of whom didn't own guns. 

Recent reseacrh suggests that all this has done is push gun ownership underground, so now there is even LESS track of who has them.

I don't like them either, but they are a reality.  :(

Written By: Wolveroses on 05/07/04 at 10:26 am

Bowling for Columbine anyone?

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/07/04 at 10:38 am

Sure...let's give up our guns so all the street gangs can have us at thier mercy :D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/08/04 at 12:28 am

Bowling for Columbine anyone?

I was thinking of BFC when I said America needs to figure out why our gun crime rate is so high and do something about it.

As Moore points out, Canadians own a lot of guns, but their per capita gun vioence rate is miniscule compared to America's.

I know one thing, America cannot afford to let the gap between rich and poor grow any wider.  Actually, we need to make it a lot narrower.  We have a problem now with a tiny percentage of super-rich, and a burgeoning "underclass" if desperately poor.  A democratic republic cannot sustain itself when it's the shanty-towns versus the gated fortresses. 

Written By: Fred on 05/08/04 at 1:54 am

SmithsGirl

If people didn't have guns, then murderers would kill with anything that they can get there hands on. And if there is nothing, they're going to kill with their fists. It's sad but true.  :(

Written By: Fred on 05/08/04 at 2:21 am

As Moore points out, Canadians own a lot of guns, but their per capita gun vioence rate is miniscule compared to America's.

I beg to differ, I like guns, I probably like them, because I've been around them for so long. And guns are only as dangerous as the people who handle them. A few years back my dog was shot with either a 9mm or a .22 (unfortunantly it slipped my mind at the moment). The bullet entered in his neck, and is lodged right beside his spine, and he almost died. This happened, because some idiot stole the gun from someone, simply to kill dogs. >:( RnRF, I'm very sorry to hear about your son. :\'(

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/08/04 at 7:01 am

I beg to differ, I like guns, I probably like them, because I've been around them for so long. And guns are only as dangerous as the people who handle them. A few years back my dog was shot with either a 9mm or a .22 (unfortunantly it slipped my mind at the moment). The bullet entered in his neck, and is lodged right beside his spine, and he almost died. This happened, because some idiot stole the gun from someone, simply to kill dogs. >:( RnRF, I'm very sorry to hear about your son. :\'(

Are you saying Canadians don't own many guns, or that gun violence as actually high in Canada?
I agree about the danger of people with guns.  And, yes, there are hundreds of millions of guns circulating in the black market.  Most gun crimes are committed with ill-gotten guns.  My point is not about restricting guns, but about alleviating the amount of violent crime in the U.S.

People kill people, guns make it quick and easy for people to kill people.

Written By: PETE on 05/08/04 at 7:33 am

EASY ONE TO SOLVE

STOP MAKING THINGS THAT CAN KILL

IE GUNS, KNIVES BULLETS ETC

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 05/08/04 at 7:37 am

I was thinking of BFC when I said America needs to figure out why our gun crime rate is so high and do something about it.

YAY!!! I'm so glad this was brought up! Yes, look at the statistics. America has way more gun deaths than we (Canada) or the rest of the world do! And I never did realise how many guns there were in this country until I saw Bowling For Columbine, nor did I know that you could buy ammunition at Wal-Mart! (I still want to test this for myself.)

I know that if people didn't kill with guns, they'd only use something else (like they do here), but guns only exist for one purpose: to hurt or to kill. Something like a knife has a more common, less malicious use. There is no need for guns. No one needs them to protect themselves. You want to protect yourself so bad? Learn self-defence. Take someone down with your own fists.

I think a lot of Americans believe in guns because they're paranoid of the evils of society and they want a quick way of dealing with them. I don't know what there is to be so paranoid about. I think the news and the government just likes to instill unnecessary fear into people.

In summary: Should people be allowed to own guns? ABSOLUTELY NOT!!

Absolutely Vile

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 05/08/04 at 7:46 am

Are you saying Canadians don't own many guns, or that gun violence as actually high in Canada?

I don't think gun violence is high in Canada. I can't speak for the rest of the country, but where I live, people are usually stabbed or beaten to death. There are a lot of guns here in Canada, both legally (you need a licence) and most probably illegally too. Most of them are used for...<ugh, puke>...hunting. :P

People kill people, guns make it quick and easy for people to kill people.

Exactly. And that's what people want, right? The easy way out!

Absolutely Vile

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 05/08/04 at 7:51 am

EASY ONE TO SOLVE

There are always going to be common, everyday things (knives, baseball bats, lead pipes) that some weirdo is going to use to hurt or kill someone. You can't ban them easily! They all have proper uses! Also, as someone else mentioned, FISTS can kill people too! So what is one to do? Chop off their hands so they can't be used to kill? I don't think so...

Absolutely Vile

Written By: Bobby on 05/08/04 at 9:58 am

Sure...let's give up our guns so all the street gangs can have us at thier mercy :D

I think it's a major failing on any police organisation if this is the main reason that people have to use guns in America.

Remember our discussions on guns, Claude? I haven't forgotten them . . . I'm keeping out of this one.  ;)

Written By: Dagwood on 05/08/04 at 10:10 am

Cat

I agree with you 100%, Cat. (shocking, isn't it ;) )

There is a moron here in Utah that started out owning computer stores now he sells guns, too.  He is the most irresponsible person in his commercials....he sells AK47's and he even had a commercial praising people who carry guns everywhere because they can stop crime.  Even the police disagree with that. 

Written By: Koop on 05/08/04 at 11:04 am

I don't own one and probably never will, however, I think that we should have the option of doing so.  I grew up in a town where they passed an ordinance saying that every home owner in that town had to own a gun.  (this was in retaliation of a town that passed one saying that you couldn't own a gun)  They didn't enforce the law, they couldn't!  However, and maybe this is coincidental, but since that law was passed (in 1981 or 82, I can't remember) there have been no gun deaths.....not even accidental....and break ins have gone down significantly, to the effect that you can leave your door unlocked and not worry about anyone breaking in.  Like I said, it could be a coincidence, but if I were a burgular, I don't think I'd want to break in to a home where the home owner most likely owns a gun.   ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/08/04 at 1:07 pm

I don't own one and probably never will, however, I think that we should have the option of doing so.  I grew up in a town where they passed an ordinance saying that every home owner in that town had to own a gun.  (this was in retaliation of a town that passed one saying that you couldn't own a gun)  They didn't enforce the law, they couldn't!  However, and maybe this is coincidental, but since that law was passed (in 1981 or 82, I can't remember) there have been no gun deaths.....not even accidental....and break ins have gone down significantly, to the effect that you can leave your door unlocked and not worry about anyone breaking in.  Like I said, it could be a coincidence, but if I were a burgular, I don't think I'd want to break in to a home where the home owner most likely owns a gun.   ;)
When my son died I thought maybe those places should have a gun for the employee to reach for....but now I just wish a they would've maybe thought about hiring a SECURITY GUARD...then those thugs may never have thought of trying to rob the place for a measley $200 >:(

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/08/04 at 4:24 pm

I do not agree that we should expect the police force to protect us all the time.  Do we want a cop at every house?

About 20 years ago, my 74-year-old Dad was being hassled by 4 guys outside our house.  I promptly walked out there, with a rather LARGE hunting knife.  One of the thugs said "What are you gonna do with THAT pig sticker.  There's 4 of us, we'll kick your butt."  To which I said, "Yeah, I know that.  So which one of you four am I gonna stab through the heart before the other three kick my butt?"  All of the sudden they looked at me like I was crazy and they got the heck out of there.

We as individuals have the RIGHT to self defense, and we must expect to defend ourselves.  Yes, it would have been nice for the cops to have been there but they were not.  And those guys never hasslled my Dad again.

The Right to Keep and bear Arms is the most basic of human rights.  The right to self defense.  8)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/08/04 at 4:59 pm

I do not agree that we should expect the police force to protect us all the time.  Do we want a cop at every house?

About 20 years ago, my 74-year-old Dad was being hassled by 4 guys outside our house.  I promptly walked out there, with a rather LARGE hunting knife.  One of the thugs said "What are you gonna do with THAT pig sticker.  There's 4 of us, we'll kick your butt."  To which I said, "Yeah, I know that.  So which one of you four am I gonna stab through the heart before the other three kick my butt?"  All of the sudden they looked at me like I was crazy and they got the heck out of there.

We as individuals have the RIGHT to self defense, and we must expect to defend ourselves.  Yes, it would have been nice for the cops to have been there but they were not.  And those guys never hasslled my Dad again.

The Right to Keep and bear Arms is the most basic of human rights.  The right to self defense.  8)
I was referring to places of business, LyricBoy...but I am glad tyou were there for your Dad...stupid punks >:(

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/08/04 at 6:38 pm

I was referring to places of business, LyricBoy...but I am glad tyou were there for your Dad...stupid punks >:(

RnRF... I was not commenting on your observation of the need for a security guard at the Subway.  As I recall, you had indicated before that there had been trouble there.  In that case the Subway management should have had some sort of game plan, like a guard, or not being open during late hours.  In my opinion, the idea of places of business, where lots of cash is transacted, on a 24-hour basis or late-night basis, unguarded, is irresponsible.  Too many convenience stores are held up late at night and it is predictable.  These businesses need to do more than just have cameras the take fuzzy pictures of criminals.  Or they need to shut down after dark.

My comment was with regard to the liberal viewpoint of "we dont need people to have guns because we have the cops" that we hear from time to time.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/08/04 at 7:06 pm

RnRF... I was not commenting on your observation of the need for a security guard at the Subway.  As I recall, you had indicated before that there had been trouble there.  In that case the Subway management should have had some sort of game plan, like a guard, or not being open during late hours.  In my opinion, the idea of places of business, where lots of cash is transacted, on a 24-hour basis or late-night basis, unguarded, is irresponsible.  Too many convenience stores are held up late at night and it is predictable.  These businesses need to do more than just have cameras the take fuzzy pictures of criminals.  Or they need to shut down after dark.

My comment was with regard to the liberal viewpoint of "we dont need people to have guns because we have the cops" that we hear from time to time.
Oh okay...my mistake, LyricBoy :-\\ Yes it sure as hell was managements fault...to cover thier @ss though, right after Blaine was murdered they hired only older people....Blaine's co-worker Jennifer was only 16 at the time and was never told where the panic button was...she missed it by less than a couple inches. Turns out the cops were just a block away at the time.  Anyway, that new policy of thiers lasted about 2 months and then they went back to hiring young kids again >:(....jerks

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 05/08/04 at 8:12 pm

As a survivor of RAPE(at age thirteen),I feel they should make a type of weapon that could stun a person for a brief period until the cops arrive,like a stun gun.Until those weapons are made available to the general public FOR SELF PROTECTION,people should be allowed to own a gun. Especially since the cops in some towns would rather be at Dunkin' Donuts rather than doing their jobs!

Written By: Fred on 05/08/04 at 9:47 pm

What? All I was saying is someone shot my dog.

Written By: Fred on 05/08/04 at 9:57 pm

nor did I know that you could buy ammunition at Wal-Mart! (I still want to test this for myself.)

Yes, it's cheap too  :-\\.

Written By: Claude_Prez on 05/08/04 at 10:12 pm

There is no need for guns. No one needs them to protect themselves. You want to protect yourself so bad? Learn self-defence. Take someone down with your own fists.

This is an arrogant statement, right here.  Unless it's a joke, you're assuming the guy you're supposed to "take down with your fists" doesn't have a gun either.  So if someone breaks into your house, are you gonna let him know you're unarmed, so if he has a gun put it down please so it will be a fair fight?  The bottom line is that it's not up to you to decide what someone else "needs", unless you happen to be their mommy.  Would you like it if somebody decided you don't "need" your music collection, for example, and since they find it offensive and dangerous, you no longer have the right to it?  Sorry if this comes across as rude and for the record I don't like guns either.  But that doesn't mean I have the right to tell the millions of responsible gun owners that they shouldn't be allowed to do what they like as long as they don't directly endanger others.

PS hi Bobby

Written By: 80sRocked on 05/08/04 at 10:37 pm

No one needs them to protect themselves. You want to protect yourself so bad? Learn self-defence. Take someone down with your own fists.

Hmmm, lets see.  Which one of the 2 following weapons would prevail in a robbery:

A.  A bullet in the face
B.  A fist in the face

You have got to be kidding me.

If someone breaks into your house and sticks a gun in your face and says give me all your money, unless you are Bruce Lee or Jackie Chan, that pretty much throws your theory out the window. ::)

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 05/08/04 at 10:39 pm

This is an arrogant statement, right here.  Unless it's a joke, you're assuming the guy you're supposed to "take down with your fists" doesn't have a gun either.  So if someone breaks into your house, are you gonna let him know you're unarmed, so if he has a gun put it down please so it will be a fair fight?  The bottom line is that it's not up to you to decide what someone else "needs", unless you happen to be their mommy.  Would you like it if somebody decided you don't "need" your music collection, for example, and since they find it offensive and dangerous, you no longer have the right to it?  Sorry if this comes across as rude and for the record I don't like guns either.  But that doesn't mean I have the right to tell the millions of responsible gun owners that they shouldn't be allowed to do what they like as long as they don't directly endanger others.

PS hi Bobby

Hey look, I'm obviously never going to convince the average American that he or she doesn't need it, nor was I even trying to, or even telling people what to do. I just wanted to give my two cents worth.

Guns are senseless and unnecessary. I rest my case.

Absolutely Vile

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 05/08/04 at 10:44 pm

Hmmm, lets see.  Which one of the 2 following weapons would prevail in a robbery:

A.  A bullet in the face
B.  A fist in the face

You have got to be kidding me.

If someone breaks into your house and sticks a gun in your face and says give me all your money, unless you are Bruce Lee or Jackie Chan, that pretty much throws your theory out the window. ::)

Then here's what you do:

YOU ARM YOURSELF WITH SOMETHING ELSE. I can name plenty of everyday items that would do nicely.

There are many countries in the world that can survive without the entire population arming themselves with guns. There is no reason whatsoever why the "Good Old United States Of America" can't.

Absolutely Vile

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 05/08/04 at 10:48 pm

EASY ONE TO SOLVE

???well Pete while we're at it:
Don't make ANY kind of eating utensils,Yes,even FORKS,in the wrong hands,can be dangerous! Why do you think won't let a mental patient on suicidal or homicidal precautions use REAL silverware?Don't make hammers,screwdrivers,tire irons,stoves,heaters,cars,medications(yes,people can OD on prescribed and over-the-counter drugs like cold pills and cough syrup),no more power tools such as chainsaws and drills,matter of fact,let's ban ANYTHING dangerous! But the 'bad guy' would be able to have anything he or she damn well wants!
:P

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/08/04 at 10:49 pm

There are many countries in the world that can survive without the entire population arming themselves with guns. There is no reason whatsoever why the "Good Old United States Of America" can't.

Absolutely Vile
Believe this, I would love nothing more than for our country to rid itself of ALL the guns. Unfortunately THAT will never be able to happen for many reasons...one of which is this: ALL the gangs will always have them :(

Written By: 80sRocked on 05/08/04 at 10:53 pm

Then here's what you do:

YOU ARM YOURSELF WITH SOMETHING ELSE. I can name plenty of everyday items that would do nicely.

Absolutely Vile

Ok, so lets say I am armed with a knife.  And lets say the burglar is still armed with a gun.  Remember, (as has been said on here before) taking the guns away would only leave them in the hands of the criminals.

Its easy to say what you're saying we should do, but it is not possible.  Those that already have their guns illegally and who do use them for the wrong reasons will continue to do so, no matter what the law says.  After all, they already are.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/08/04 at 10:55 pm

There are always going to be common, everyday things (knives, baseball bats, lead pipes) that some weirdo is going to use to hurt or kill someone. You can't ban them easily! They all have proper uses! Also, as someone else mentioned, FISTS can kill people too! So what is one to do? Chop off their hands so they can't be used to kill? I don't think so...

Absolutely Vile
My son tried to stop the bullet from hitting him but I'm sorry to say that it cut through part of his hand before entering his chest running through his heart and then out his back...missing the girl he was protecting by inches. I don't think a fist, hand, whatever, can stop a bullet. Steps should be taken by these places to protect the people who work there and are just trying to be responsible....

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 05/08/04 at 11:31 pm

OK, I guess this is a topic best discussed amongst Americans, and an American I am not. If we were talking about people being allowed to own guns on a worldwide scale, then no, they shouldn't. The rest of the world doesn't really need them. America, on the other hand, has already had its gun culture for long enough that it's unfortunately too late to turn back now.

Absolutely Vile

Written By: 80sRocked on 05/08/04 at 11:42 pm

America, on the other hand, has already had its gun culture for long enough that it's unfortunately too late to turn back now.

Bingo. ;)

But just remember next time you chastise all Americans for the few that abuse the right to own guns, there are many responsible ones, like myself, who have their guns legally, have been through the background checks, have a gun license, and would never use them to harm anyone. ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/08/04 at 11:48 pm

Bingo. ;)

But just remember next time you chastise all Americans for the few that abuse the right to own guns, there are many responsible ones, like myself, who have their guns legally, have been through the background checks, have a gun license, and would never use them to harm anyone. ;)
Thanks for saying that, 80sRocked. It's nice to know you're resposible :)

Written By: 80sRocked on 05/08/04 at 11:56 pm

Thanks for saying that, 80sRocked. It's nice to know you're resposible :)

No problem. :)

Its just so amazing to me that many other countries have a mental picture that all Americans are walking around with a gun strapped to their hip, and that we are all breaking out in a wild-west shoot-out every 10 minutes of the day.

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 05/09/04 at 12:02 am

Bingo. ;)

I never chastised any Americans. All I was saying was that if you could get rid of all the guns in the States (although an improbability) then why would you need one to defend yourselves?

Absolutely Vile

Written By: Fred on 05/09/04 at 1:49 am

No problem. :)

Its just so amazing to me that many other countries have a mental picture that all Americans are walking around with a gun strapped to their hip, and that we are all breaking out in a wild-west shoot-out every 10 minutes of the day.

Don't assume many other countries are picturing Americans with heaters at all times. It's only certain people, who watch too many movies.  :(

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/09/04 at 8:54 am

I never chastised any Americans. All I was saying was that if you could get rid of all the guns in the States (although an improbability) then why would you need one to defend yourselves?

Absolutely Vile
I agree but as I've stated before....it's a very nice thought, but it will never happen.... :-\\ there are too many thugs with them who will always have them >:(

Written By: Bobby on 05/09/04 at 12:12 pm

Hi Claude.  :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/09/04 at 12:35 pm

The Right to Keep and bear Arms is the most basic of human rights.  The right to self defense.  8
)

Sometimes a little moxie goes a long way, eh, LyricBoy?  Typical bullies.  They get the "put up or shut up" challenge, and they show themselves to be chickensh*t!

WHOA! It's not a "human right," it's an American Constitutional Right.  I don't think you could get the rest of the countries to go along with adding it to the Human Rights charter.  The right to keep and bear arms is only effective in a stable society.  Look at anarchic states such Liberia, or the Ituri region of the Congo.  It's who has the nastiest marauding bands with the most guns that counts!

There's no gun in my house.  We live on a quiet, out-of-the-way street, with no crime.  We hope.  If some thugs busted in here, I'd probably wish I had a gun!

Lots of people buy a gun for personal protection, but then they don't learn how to use the thing properly, which can put you in MORE danger, NOT less.  And then there are the geniuses who don't make the dangers of firearms clear to the kids, so the kid gets a hold of the gun and blows his friend away by accident.  Sheesh!

Written By: Bobby on 05/09/04 at 1:00 pm

I heard the American constitution of civil rights was a reworking of The Magna Carta. Is this true? If so, how much emphasis would you have to place in something that was based outside of America?

Asking for clarification.  :)

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 05/09/04 at 6:19 pm

I think women should be allowed to carry small weapons for self-defense. Sickos who rape people deserve to be shot!! Sometimes police play the 'blame the woman' game so they cannot all be trusted! And most police officers are MEN,so what do you expect? :o

Written By: Fred on 05/10/04 at 12:22 am

I think women should be allowed to carry small weapons for self-defense. Sickos who rape people deserve to be shot!! Sometimes police play the 'blame the woman' game so they cannot all be trusted! And most police officers are MEN,so what do you expect? :o

But you can carry weapons can't you?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/10/04 at 1:41 am

Unfortunately, there's no easy solution.
I wish people would treat one another with respect.  However, I have to be politically incorrect and say not all rape is equal.  I don't condone sexual contact with anyone who hasn't given her (or his) full consent.  Period.  Other men do.  Sometimes women get into compromising situations with these men due to unwise seclusion or irresponsible drug and alcohol use.  These assaults are comprise the majority of rapes, and they are very hard to prove and to prosecute. 
An ounce of prevention goes a long way.  I'm acutely aware of this issue because I live in a college town and controversy over aquaintence rape rages perennially. 
If you shoot your assailant while you are intoxicated and where nobody can bear witness, it might be you who goes to jail.

Written By: philbo on 05/10/04 at 4:39 am

I think I'd find myself sounding like the archetypical Irishman being asked for directions: "Well, I wouldn't be starting from here, if I was you..."

It's an insane society where citizens are armed to the teeth and fed lots of scare stories about how dangerous a world it is out there...

A couple of research papers:
Guns kept in the home are 22 times more likely to kill someone known to you than a stranger in self-defense.
Source: Kellermann AL. Injuries and deaths due to firearms in the home. Journal of Trauma. 1998; 45(2). 263-267.

A gun in the home is actually used for self-protection in fewer than 2% of home invasion crimes.
Source: Kellermann AL, et al. Weapon involvement in home invasion crimes. JAMA. 1995; 273: 1759-1762.

In effect, those statistics mean that the view that you're safer with a gun is completely erroneous.  Pro-gun lobby, argue till you're blue in the face... you're still wrong.

This is a hard thing to understand, but try: if you carry a gun, you're more likely to use it (with me so far?); if you carry a gun, you're more likely to use it on somebody you know, by accident or by design, than you are defending yourself from would-be mugger or rapist.  Still with me?  OK, then, here's for the punchline: if you carry a gun, you are many times more likely to kill the wrong person than "the bad guy".  You still want to carry that gun?

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/10/04 at 6:18 am

I think I'd find myself sounding like the archetypical Irishman being asked for directions: "Well, I wouldn't be starting from here, if I was you..."

It's an insane society where citizens are armed to the teeth and fed lots of scare stories about how dangerous a world it is out there...

Guns kept in the home are 22 times more likely to kill someone known to you than a stranger in self-defense.
Source: Kellermann AL. Injuries and deaths due to firearms in the home. Journal of Trauma. 1998; 45(2). 263-267.

A gun in the home is actually used for self-protection in fewer than 2% of home invasion crimes.
Source: Kellermann AL, et al. Weapon involvement in home invasion crimes. JAMA. 1995; 273: 1759-1762.

In effect, those statistics mean that the view that you're safer with a gun is completely erroneous.  Pro-gun lobby, argue till you're blue in the face... you're still wrong.

This is a hard thing to understand, but try: if you carry a gun, you're more likely to use it (with me so far?); if you carry a gun, you're more likely to use it on somebody you know, by accident or by design, than you are defending yourself from would-be mugger or rapist.  Still with me?  OK, then, here's for the punchline: if you carry a gun, you are many times more likely to kill the wrong person than "the bad guy".  You still want to carry that gun?

I'll take my chances and keep my guns.  It is gonna be hard to explain to myself why my family got killed by an intruder because I was "working the odds" and decided to forfeit my right to self defense.

Written By: conker on 05/10/04 at 7:47 am

I have a question, how many home break ins are there when there's someone home?  It seems to be the fear of a thug with a gun breaking in that has many people wanting a gun for 'self protection'.
Around here the average break-in is some kid looking for a quick buck or drug money and they do it in the middle of the day when people are at work, they are cowards looking for $$.

I have no concern with people owning guns for hunting/sport shooting, self protection if you work in a high risk job (jewelry couriers etc) but the automatic rifles etc are not made for anything but war.
Also any owner should have to be properly trained, licensed and be required to store the weapon correctly.
I know of more people, usually kids killed accidentally when they were playing with dad's guns than have ever been killed in crimes.

Written By: philbo on 05/10/04 at 7:52 am

I'll take my chances and keep my guns.  It is gonna be hard to explain to myself why my family got killed by an intruder because I was "working the odds" and decided to forfeit my right to self defense.

Don't you realize that it is many times more likely that your family will be hurt by your gun than it is for the gun to be used against an intruder in self-defence?  Keeping it actually increases the risk to your family.  But I'm not surprised... in the argument between rationality and emotion, it's always the same one that wins hands down.

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 05/10/04 at 10:05 am

Don't you realize that it is many times more likely that your family will be hurt by your gun than it is for the gun to be used against an intruder in self-defence?  Keeping it actually increases the risk to your family.  But I'm not surprised... in the argument between rationality and emotion, it's always the same one that wins hands down.

Very, very well said, philbo, and your facts are true! But our mentality (that is the mentality of people outside of the US) is not going to work with the pro-gun Americans. They've had their way of life with guns for too long to change things, unfortunately. But I definitely agree with everything you've said.

Absolutely Vile

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 05/10/04 at 10:08 am

Addendum: I am not implying that all Americans are pro-gun. I know there are a few out there who are not.

Absolutely Vile

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/10/04 at 1:50 pm

I heard the American constitution of civil rights was a reworking of The Magna Carta. Is this true? If so, how much emphasis would you have to place in something that was based outside of America?

Not too familiar with the Magna Carta (just read it for the first time 2 minutes ago). As far as the Constitution goes, when it was first written, it mainly specified how the government should be run, what each branch could or could not do, etc. It was then sent to the 13th states to be ratified. However, the people realized that there were no rights written in it to protect the people from the government. So the first 10 Admendments (the Bill of Rights) were added (actually there were two others that didn't make the final cut). However, as I was trying to find what those two Admendments were (with no luck), I did find this:

The origins of many of the other rights and liberties contained in the Bill of Rights can be found in the English tradition, dating as far back as Magna Carta (1215), a document that marked the first step toward constitutional law in England. For example, the clause in the Fifth Amendment, which declares that individuals cannot be deprived of their "life, liberty, or property, without due process of law" is rooted in Chapter 39 of Magna Carta.

England's Petition of Right (1628) and Bill of Rights (1689) further expanded individual liberties and placed increased limitations on the ruler's powers and authority. English liberties and rights, such as trial by jury and protection against self-incrimination and unreasonable search and seizure, were, in fact, included in the charters establishing the American colonies. They were considered to be the "rights of Englishmen."

http://teacher.scholastic.com/scholasticnews/indepth/declaration_independence/bill.htm

I hope that answers your question.

Ok, that is the history lesson for today boys and girls.  ;)

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/10/04 at 4:32 pm

The "increased risk" that you mention involves mainly the risk due to people who play with guns.  I know 2 people who have been shot by their own guns (or shot someone in their household) and in every case it was EXTREME STUPIDITY involved.

-One guy was carrying his loaded shotgun whilst hunting, and while climbing over a fence, the barrel was pointed straight at his head.  The trigger got caught in a branch or something, then BLAMMO.

-Another guy was a man who I knew very well, his son and I were college buddies.  I visited his house one time and he had loaded guns all over the place, showing them off and what not.  I NEVER AGAIN went to that house because he was unsafe with the guns.  Eventually one of his visitors was accidentally shot while being shown a loaded gun.  I was not the least bit surprised.

NEVER, EVER under ANY circumstances point a gun at ANYBODY (including yourself) unless you plan on shooting them.  It does not matter if you think the gun is unloaded or not.  THIS IS THE CARDINAL RULE OF GUN SAFETY !  And, if you only use firearms for hunting or target shooting and NOT for self defense, then make sure that you completely shoot ALL of your ammunition, and DISASSEMBLE your guns prior to storing them under LOCK and KEY.

Since I store and handle my guns SAFELY and with RESPECT for the danger that they can cause, I do not expect to be counted in the ranks of the galactically stupid.  And that is what happens typically with home gun accidents.  People being completely STUPID with their weapons.

If you own a firearm then you need to get proper safety training (like the NRA conducts) and make sure that EVERYBODy in the household has the same training, including the kids.  Children who have NO gun training are HUGELY more likely to cause a gin accident because of ignorance.  But if ya have kids around the house, the guns must be STOWED !

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/10/04 at 4:37 pm

The Ten Commandments1 are even older than The Magna Carta, and also were not created in the good old U. S. of A.

But I place quite a bit of emphasis on them.  :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
1Of course there is some controversy as relates to the Ten Commandments.  In particular, a Mr. Mel Brooks contends that there were actually FIFTEEN original commandments, but that as Moses descended from the mountain he dropped one of the stone tablets.  Theologians have not come to a clear consensus yet.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/10/04 at 4:38 pm

The "increased risk" that you mention involves mainly the risk due to people who play with guns.  I know 2 people who have been shot by their own guns (or shot someone in their household) and in every case it was EXTREME STUPIDITY involved.

-One guy was carrying his loaded shotgun whilst hunting, and while climbing over a fence, the barrel was pointed straight at his head.  The trigger got caught in a branch or something, then BLAMMO.

-Another guy was a man who I knew very well, his son and I were college buddies.  I visited his house one time and he had loaded guns all over the place, showing them off and what not.  I NEVER AGAIN went to that house because he was unsafe with the guns.  Eventually one of his visitors was accidentally shot while being shown a loaded gun.  I was not the least bit surprised.

Since I store and handle my guns SAFELY and with RESPECT for the danger that they can cause, I do not expect to be counted in the ranks of the galactically stupid.  And that is what happens typically with home gun accidents.  People being completely STUPID with their weapons.

If you own a firearm then you need to get proper safety training (like the NRA conducts) and make sure that EVERYBODy in the household has the same training, including the kids.  Children who have NO gun training are HUGELY more likely to cause a gin accident because of ignorance.  But if ya have kids around the house, the guns must be STOWED !
Thanks for sharing, LyricBoy. I also worry about all the druggies out there doing thier drive-bys.  A couple years ago a lady here in town was with a friend. She was deaf so she "Signed" her friend....she was shot and killed by gang members who thought she was flashing gang signs >:(

Written By: Cheetara on 05/10/04 at 4:47 pm

I believe in self-defense.  I would carry a firearm if I were allowed.  I carry knives and mace in my purse and in my boots (if I'm wearing them).  I will disarm whenever I know that I am going to enter a building laced with metal detectors.  I'm not looking for trouble.  A girl have to do what a girl's gotta do when harmed.   :-X

Unfortunately, guns get into the WRONG hands.  Our children (gangs) are shooting one another for money and sport.

Written By: Bobby on 05/10/04 at 5:09 pm

The Ten Commandments1 are even older than The Magna Carta, and also were not created in the good old U. S. of A.

But I place quite a bit of emphasis on them.  :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
1Of course there is some controversy as relates to the Ten Commandments.  In particular, a Mr. Mel Brooks contends that there were actually FIFTEEN original commandments, but that as Moses descended from the mountain he dropped one of the stone tablets.  Theologians have not come to a clear consensus yet.

I appreciate that, Lyricboy. Despite that if everybody adhered to the 10 commandments in conjunction to Jesus's teachings at the sermon on the mount, the American Constitution becomes a void issue. :)

I find, rightly or wrongly, that a lot of people in America adhere to the constitution in 'the letter of the law' rather than in 'the spirit of it'. It insinuates a kind of blind patriotism. I was trying, in my own little way, to find out whether this was the reason behind backing up, and going on about the historical document.

Thank you very much, Catwoman for your research. I was told about the Magna Carta and its links with the American constitution by a friend at work. I tried to do the research but I got lost with it.  :)

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 05/10/04 at 6:26 pm

Yes! Why?Because in some places,the cops don't give a damn and the rapist walks off scot-free!

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 05/10/04 at 6:30 pm

Yes! Why?Because in some places,the cops don't give a darn and the rapist walks off scot-free!
I'm not sorry about what I said. I was raped by two thugs at age thirteen,and it still haunts me! I don't care that the SOBs were put away,there's a chance of them getting out and raping another person!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/10/04 at 6:48 pm

I appreciate that, Lyricboy. Despite that if everybody adhered to the 10 commandments in conjunction to Jesus's teachings at the sermon on the mount, the American Constitution becomes a void issue. :)

I find, rightly or wrongly, that a lot of people in America adhere to the constitution in 'the letter of the law' rather than in 'the spirit of it'. It insinuates a kind of blind patriotism. I was trying, in my own little way, to find out whether this was the reason behind backing up, and going on about the historical document.

Thank you very much, Catwoman for your research. I was told about the Magna Carta and its links with the American constitution by a friend at work. I tried to do the research but I got lost with it.  :)

The Constitution is a living document. It has survived over 200 years. Yes it does change from time to time-but that is why it is a living document. When certain aspects get outdated, it changes (like slavery). It states what rights we have in this country especially the Bill of Rights. No one argues over any Admendment as much as the Second (The right to bear arms-so that means that I can wear short sleave shirts.  ;)) The wording is a bit ambiguous. I know this was posted before but I am going to repost it.

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security
of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear
arms, shall not be infringed.

I read it to mean that the militia can bear arms. But many people have argued that it states ANYONE can bear arms. The reason why Americans are so "passionate" about it, IMO, is because if they took away that one right granted to us in the Constitution, then they will be able to take away the others. I think if the government started taking away these rights, the U.S. will no longer be a "free" (not saying it really is) nation and basically be a fascist state. As I have stated before, I don't like guns. But, I don't want to take them away from RESPONSIBLE gun owners. (Irresponsible- YES!!)

BTW, no problem about doing the research. I enjoy doing things like that.  ;D Again, I hope that I have explained a little bit why some Americans are so passionate about it. But, this is just my opinion.

Cat

Written By: jaytee on 05/10/04 at 6:51 pm

It must be awful to feel so scared :(  I don't believe that guns should be available to everyone.  I would never want a gun in my house.  When I was growing up on a hobby farm we always had a gun and I was taught how to use it.  Once we moved to the suburbs there was no need for a gun so we got rid of it.

Written By: Fred on 05/10/04 at 9:25 pm

NEVER, EVER under ANY circumstances point a gun at ANYBODY (including yourself) unless you plan on shooting them.  It does not matter if you think the gun is unloaded or not.  THIS IS THE CARDINAL RULE OF GUN SAFETY !  And, if you only use firearms for hunting or target shooting and NOT for self defense, then make sure that you completely shoot ALL of your ammunition, and DISASSEMBLE your guns prior to storing them under LOCK and KEY.

Well put LyricBoy, I was taught at a very young age NEVER, EVER point a loaded or even unloaded gun at anybody. And I don't plan on doing so. Whenever I carry a firearm, I always have the safety on (whether loaded or not), except for the second or so when shooting. And is always stored with a triggerlock, and ammunition is placed seperetly (inaccessible to most) from the guns. Unfortuanatly, I don't own a gun safe at the momemt, but plan on getting one.  ;)

Written By: Dagwood on 05/10/04 at 9:56 pm

The Constitution is a living document. It has survived over 200 years. Yes it does change from time to time-but that is why it is a living document. When certain aspects get outdated, it changes (like slavery). It states what rights we have in this country especially the Bill of Rights. No one argues over any Admendment as much as the Second (The right to bear arms-so that means that I can wear short sleave shirts.  ;)) The wording is a bit ambiguous. I know this was posted before but I am going to repost it.

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security
of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear
arms, shall not be infringed.

I read it to mean that the militia can bear arms. But many people have argued that it states ANYONE can bear arms. The reason why Americans are so "passionate" about it, IMO, is because if they took away that one right granted to us in the Constitution, then they will be able to take away the others. I think if the government started taking away these rights, the U.S. will no longer be a "free" (not saying it really is) nation and basically be a fascist state. As I have stated before, I don't like guns. But, I don't want to take them away from RESPONSIBLE gun owners. (Irresponsible- YES!!)

BTW, no problem about doing the research. I enjoy doing things like that.  ;D Again, I hope that I have explained a little bit why some Americans are so passionate about it. But, this is just my opinion.

Cat

Once again, well said Cat.  I feel exactly like you...I don't like guns and won't allow them in my house, but I don't want to take that right from responsible owners.  My daycare provider has guns.  Her husband uses them to hunt.  When they aren't using them they take them apart and put all the pieces in different safes under lock and key.  The ammo is in it's own area.  They obviously aren't for defense as it would take too long to go to three different safes just to put a gun together, they are used for hunting.  Yes they eat the meat they kill.  I don't think it would be right to take their gun ownership rights away because there are irresponsible weapons owners out there.

And like someone said before...anything can be dangerous.  If they start by taking guns, what's next?  Knives, forks, rocks?  It wouldn't work in America.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/10/04 at 10:54 pm

Gun owners should observe the safety measures LyricBoy and others pointed out.  However, I have heard contrary arguments from gun advocates:

1. Don't lock your gun up:
If your gun is in a safe up in the attic, you'll be helpless to get it when an armed intruder breaks in.

2. Don't use mechanical safety locks:
Every second is crucial when defending your life.  The extra time it takes to unlock your gun will give your attacker the chance to shoot you first.

3. Don't keep your gun unloaded:
For the same reason above.  Your attacker's gun is already loaded.

Keep it safe from the kids, and it won't be there when you need.  So, as Neil Young says, "teach your children well."

Better yet, keep your piece by your side at all time, even invest in a pajama holster!

I'm not against people owning guns, but the statistics Philbo pointed out are nothing new.  I've never heard the NRA refute them.  However, as a gun owner, you should always remember, "it won't happen to me!"

Written By: Bobby on 05/11/04 at 4:41 am

Thank you very much, Catwoman. It's helped me to see things differently. You see, in Britain, I don't believe we have any legalised gun laws and I don't think many people go on about it being their right to own one.

I suppose to compare Britain and America's crime rate would be pointless as well. I heard Bill Hick's commentary about the 'Bloods Vs The Hooligans'.  ;D

Written By: philbo on 05/11/04 at 5:57 am

Gun owners should observe the safety measures LyricBoy and others pointed out.  However, I have heard contrary arguments from gun advocates:

However, as a gun owner, you should always remember, "it won't happen to me!"

;D ;D ;D ;D

Looks like you've noticed that it's always the other guy who doesn't keep their firearm safe... 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/11/04 at 10:44 am

Well, now I have seen everything.  ::) The question is, Is this using guns responsibly?

http://www.rutlandherald.com/04/Story/83491.html

Cat

Written By: philbo on 05/11/04 at 10:54 am

I'm not sorry about what I said. I was raped by two thugs at age thirteen,and it still haunts me! I don't care that the SOBs were put away,there's a chance of them getting out and raping another person!

I'm sorry to hear that, but it doesn't have a huge amount to do with the debate about carrying guns: surely you're not suggesting that 13-year-old girls should be armed as a matter of course?  As has been said many times: emotion makes for bad law - here in the UK, we have gone too far in the other direction after stupid laws were passed against owning guns after tragedies at Hungerford and Dunblane.

I suppose the pro-gun argument is that it's better that five good guys get shot by accident than one bad guy gets missed.

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 05/11/04 at 11:06 am

Well, now I have seen everything.  ::) The question is, Is this using guns responsibly?

Cat

Fish shooting?! OK, I don't agree with hunting of any kind, but that's ridiculous!!!

Absolutely Vile

Written By: Fred on 05/11/04 at 8:51 pm

1. Don't lock your gun up:
If your gun is in a safe up in the attic, you'll be helpless to get it when an armed intruder breaks in.

2. Don't use mechanical safety locks:
Every second is crucial when defending your life.  The extra time it takes to unlock your gun will give your attacker the chance to shoot you first.

3. Don't keep your gun unloaded:
For the same reason above.  Your attacker's gun is already loaded.

Keep it safe from the kids, and it won't be there when you need.  So, as Neil Young says, "teach your children well."

Better yet, keep your piece by your side at all time, even invest in a pajama holster!

I'm not against people owning guns, but the statistics Philbo pointed out are nothing new.  I've never heard the NRA refute them.  However, as a gun owner, you should always remember, "it won't happen to me!"

If someone breaks into your house your right about not reaching it during robbery. But if anybody keeps a loaded, unlocked gun, your asking for an accident! Some guns have hair-pin triggers, and dropping it could make it fire.
Besides, my Dad had his .32 stolen this way.  :(

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 05/11/04 at 9:03 pm

If the two bozos who raped me had a gun,I'd be a goner,because they might have used it on me,and I would have NO defense at all,because it happened in a secluded area well away from any homes ,with no police around. That possibility still scares me. That is why I'm for women being able to have some kind of EFFECTIVE weapon against someone who is 'packing heat'!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/11/04 at 9:47 pm

Cat

At least they're not fishing with TNT.  That's been a problem in some areas.  I've been up there on Lake Champlaine.  It's a region of magnificent beauty.

Fred wrote:
If someone breaks into your house your right about not reaching it during robbery. But if anybody keeps a loaded, unlocked gun, your asking for an accident! Some guns have hair-pin triggers, and dropping it could make it fire.
Besides, my Dad had his .32 stolen this way. 

Thus, gun owners have the unpleasant choice of securing their guns and being unprepared in an emergency, or risking the odds of accident and impulse, and keeping their weapons loaded and close at hand.

Written By: Fred on 05/13/04 at 5:47 pm

If the two bozos who raped me had a gun,I'd be a goner,because they might have used it on me,and I would have NO defense at all,because it happened in a secluded area well away from any homes ,with no police around. That possibility still scares me. That is why I'm for women being able to have some kind of EFFECTIVE weapon against someone who is 'packing heat'!

The most effective non-lethal (short-range) weapon is Bear Spray. It's designed to keep bears away, so it can definatly keep a disgusting thug away. Too bad you couldn't have fired a whif of that into their faces.  ;D In Canada, they sell it at most grocery stores.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/13/04 at 6:02 pm

The most effective non-lethal (short-range) weapon is Bear Spray. It's designed to keep bears away, so it can definatly keep a disgusting thug away. Too bad you couldn't have fired a whif of that into their faces.  ;D In Canada, they sell it at most grocery stores.

Fred,

They also sell these cool pistols that fire a 12-gauge shotgun shell that is loaded with capsicum which is extract of pepper.  8)

If a bear jumps out from the weeds, you whip out that pistol and BLAMMO... let loose with a capsicum round to his head.  The bear will make a VERY fast retreat.  (And the shooter will probably need to get treatment for a sprained wrist).

Written By: Fred on 05/13/04 at 7:12 pm

Fred,

They also sell these cool pistols that fire a 12-gauge shotgun shell that is loaded with capsicum which is extract of pepper.  8)

If a bear jumps out from the weeds, you whip out that pistol and BLAMMO... let loose with a capsicum round to his head.  The bear will make a VERY fast retreat.  (And the shooter will probably need to get treatment for a sprained wrist).
sweet ;D But Tony20 asked for something that a women, maybe a small girl could carry around, and not many young girls could handle that.  :(
There was a cop from Revelstoke, BC Canada (a very forested small town). And there was a bear coming around small children at some elementary school. So one day the bear came too close and the officer had to get rid of it. The idea was to scare it with the shotgun. Anyways, the guy loaded up his 12-gauge, with salt, but he put too much gunpowder in the shell. So he blew its guts out, and it was rotting for weeks just outside the school grounds.  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/13/04 at 8:56 pm

Not fair!  That's why I support my right to arm bears!  Ha ha ha ha-ohhh, that's corny. :-\\

Fred said:There was a cop from Revelstoke, BC Canada (a very forested small town). And there was a bear coming around small children at some elementary school. So one day the bear came too close and the officer had to get rid of it. The idea was to scare it with the shotgun. Anyways, the guy loaded up his 12-gauge, with salt, but he put too much gunpowder in the shell. So he blew its guts out, and it was rotting for weeks just outside the school grounds. 
You mean the public works didn't even clean up the mess?  Awww! Gross!  Somehow I expected more out of Canadians than that!
That stroy reminds me of something a cop did back in my hometown.  A raccoon got hit by a car, and was on the side of the street, writhing in pain.  Some kids saw it there and called the cops.  A young rookie showed up.  Rather than calling the wildlife officer, he decided to put the the thing out of its misery himself.  He aimed his service revolver down at the raccoon and fired once.   Bits of raccoon flew all over him!!  His uniform was the least of his worries.  He had to go for a rabies test, and I can just imagine what his sergeant said, "You discharged your weapon for what ?"  There was a fellow who had a long career in law enforcement ahead of him!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/14/04 at 1:08 pm

Not fair!  That's why I support my right to arm bears!  Ha ha ha ha-ohhh, that's corny. :-\\

Fred said:
You mean the public works didn't even clean up the mess?  Awww! Gross!  Somehow I expected more out of Canadians than that!
That stroy reminds me of something a cop did back in my hometown.  A raccoon got hit by a car, and was on the side of the street, writhing in pain.  Some kids saw it there and called the cops.  A young rookie showed up.  Rather than calling the wildlife officer, he decided to put the the thing out of its misery himself.  He aimed his service revolver down at the raccoon and fired once.   Bits of raccoon flew all over him!!  His uniform was the least of his worries.  He had to go for a rabies test, and I can just imagine what his sergeant said, "You discharged your weapon for what ?"  There was a fellow who had a long career in law enforcement ahead of him!

We should start a new thread: "Stupid uses of a gun"  ;) ;D

Cat

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/14/04 at 7:33 pm

The ONE and ONLY reaso I started this thread in the first place was to try and make a couple of point....
1. Guns will ALWAYS be around in this country, unfortunately

2. AND (To all those hollyweird liberals) IF we outlaw guns from law abiding citizens...The CRIMINALS will still have them...and I will be if I am not going to be able to protect myself. Some don't act responsible with a gun, why should people that ARE responsible have to suffer...

Written By: philbo on 05/17/04 at 5:31 am

The ONE and ONLY reaso I started this thread in the first place was to try and make a couple of point....
1. Guns will ALWAYS be around in this country, unfortunately

That's why I started my initial post:

... in an ideal world, there wouldn't be so many guns about... but there's no obvious way of getting there.

My pointing out that gun owners are several times more likely to kill someone they know than any random bad guy was not an argument for legislation as such, but a caveat to those thinking of buying one (and maybe some kind of license, which would require a test - rather like a driving license).  Personally, I'd like to see guns made less reliable, so there's always a 1% chance the thing will blow up in your face... now *that* would reduce usage ;)

Written By: Fred on 05/25/04 at 9:17 pm

Personally, I'd like to see guns made less reliable, so there's always a 1% chance the thing will blow up in your face... now *that* would reduce usage ;)

Then a little kid would get a hold of his father's gun, blow his hands off, and then a lawsuit against the manufacturer, and then threads called: "The dangers of guns", "Guns are unsafe", "Should guns be made safer?"

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/25/04 at 10:03 pm

Not to stray too far from the topic, but

R&Rfan wrote(To all those hollyweird liberals)
Why do conservatives put so much stock in what movie stars say?

Written By: Dagwood on 05/26/04 at 7:15 am

Not to stray too far from the topic, but

Why do conservatives put so much stock in what movie stars say?

Can't speak for others but I don't put any stock in what movie stars say.  My only problem is when they don't know when to shut up.  Yes, I get it...a bunch of them don't like Bush and are against the war.  Point taken.  I was incredibly impressed with Tim Robbins when he won an Oscar and didn't bring up his point of view in the speech.  There is a time and place for speaking your mind but please not everday everywhere.  Sometimes I just want to be entertained without hearing political views.  Even those that agree with mine.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/26/04 at 7:49 am

Can't speak for others but I don't put any stock in what movie stars say.  My only problem is when they don't know when to shut up.  Yes, I get it...a bunch of them don't like Bush and are against the war.  Point taken.  I was incredibly impressed with Tim Robbins when he won an Oscar and didn't bring up his point of view in the speech.  There is a time and place for speaking your mind but please not everday everywhere.  Sometimes I just want to be entertained without hearing political views.  Even those that agree with mine.

Whether left or right, they're not obliged to shut up.

Written By: Kitten on 05/26/04 at 10:14 am

I just don't understand why anyone would WANT to own a gun . Accidents are more likely happen at home then ever needing it for "protection". Plus even if you have a gun, and you bring it out to protect yourself or your family, the chances of you going totally commando and taking out "the treat" are overweight by you being really nervous and end up getting yourself shot. Not to mention passion crimes, just getting so heated and knowing that you have a gun that you can get at ANY time. The quick access to guns have caused many unnecessary deaths.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/26/04 at 11:03 am

I just don't understand why anyone would WANT to own a gun .
The point I was trying to make was that even if we outlaw guns...so law-abiding citizens cannot have them...thier wil still be guns in the hands of all the CRIMINALS, Rappers and other thugs out there...Tha's all I was trying to say :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/26/04 at 6:52 pm

The point I was trying to make was that even if we outlaw guns...so law-abiding citizens cannot have them...thier wil still be guns in the hands of all the CRIMINALS, Rappers and other thugs out there...Tha's all I was trying to say :)

Careful there, RocknRoll fan.  You've put "rappers" in between criminals and thugs.  There are a lot of PC people up my way who would take you to task for your insinuations.  They would also accuse you of racism.  YAWN!  I won't though.  I would have problem with you putting "rappers" between "criminals" and "thugs" only if RAPPERS didn put THEMSELVES there too!  No music in history has so glorified the criminal.  Yeah, yeah, Woody Guthrie and Johnny Cash sang songs about "outlaws."  The targets of the "outlaws" were banks, corrupt politicians, thuggish cops, and the like.  "Outlaws" weren't in the business of selling drugs to your kids and pimping young girls.  "C-Murder," my @ss!  'Nuff said.

Written By: 80sRocked on 05/26/04 at 6:58 pm

Agree.

They can say what they want, just like the rest of us.

As long as they don't pull a patented "martin Sheen" or "Dixie Chicks" move and cry "censorship" when the rest of the country disagrees with them.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/26/04 at 7:08 pm

Careful there, RocknRoll fan.  You've put "rappers" in between criminals and thugs.  There are a lot of PC people up my way who would take you to task for your insinuations.  They would also accuse you of racism.  YAWN!  I won't though.  I would have problem with you putting "rappers" between "criminals" and "thugs" only if RAPPERS didn put THEMSELVES there too!  No music in history has so glorified the criminal.  Yeah, yeah, Woody Guthrie and Johnny Cash sang songs about "outlaws."  The targets of the "outlaws" were banks, corrupt politicians, thuggish cops, and the like.  "Outlaws" weren't in the business of selling drugs to your kids and pimping young girls.  "C-Murder," my @ss!  'Nuff said.
Point taken, MaxwellSmart! I'll just leave it at criminals...

Written By: Dagwood on 05/26/04 at 7:30 pm

Whether left or right, they're not obliged to shut up.

I'm not saying they should be...I just wish they would understand that we don't want to listen to the political BS all the time. 

Written By: Dagwood on 05/26/04 at 7:32 pm

As long as they don't pull a patented "martin Sheen" or "Dixie Chicks" move and cry "censorship" when the rest of the country disagrees with them.

This drives me insane.  I have seen people on tv protesting something or other whining that they are being censored.  WTH!?!?!?!  If they were being censored would they be on tv?

Written By: 80sRocked on 05/26/04 at 7:37 pm

This drives me insane.  I have seen people on tv protesting something or other whining that they are being censored.  WTH!?!?!?!  If they were being censored would they be on tv?

Exactly!

How many times did we see Sheen on TV pre-war?  Daily!

And he considered that being censored I guess. ::)

Written By: GWBush2004 on 05/26/04 at 9:57 pm

Ruin a liberals' day, buy a gun today!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/26/04 at 10:27 pm

Exactly!

How many times did we see Sheen on TV pre-war?  Daily!

And he considered that being censored I guess. ::)
True enough...double standards for the hollyweird libs I suppose. If THEY are against guns that's fine, just don't try and tell other people what they can and can't have. rosie is supposedly against them but her bodyguards have them ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/26/04 at 10:49 pm

True enough...double standards for the hollyweird libs I suppose. If THEY are against guns that's fine, just don't try and tell other people what they can and can't have. rosie is supposedly against them but her bodyguards have them ::)

IMHO, Rosie's a silly person, I wouldn't pay attention to anything she says.  I wonder why she thinks she needs armed guards, anyway? 

Dagwood wrote
I'm not saying they should be...I just wish they would understand that we don't want to listen to the political BS all the time. 

Who's we?  Odd logic when Rush, Hannity, et al., get paid millions to spout "political BS all the time."

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/26/04 at 10:55 pm

IMHO, Rosie's a silly person, I wouldn't pay attention to anything she says.  I wonder why she thinks she needs armed guards, anyway? 

True BUT...I STILL have to say that IF we outlaw guns from everyone, the criminals will STILL have ways to aquire them. I apologize for being a broken record here....I HATE guns as my son was murdered by an @ss that had one....but I digress :-\\

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/26/04 at 11:08 pm

True BUT...I STILL have to say that IF we outlaw guns from everyone, the criminals will STILL have ways to aquire them. I apologize for being a broken record here....I HATE guns as my son was murdered by an @ss that had one....but I digress :-\\

I hear ya RnRFan.  I agree.  That's sort of what's happened in the UK, though they had far fewer guns per capita.  Tons of black market weapons from the US get traded in the UK.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/26/04 at 11:16 pm

I hear ya RnRFan.  I agree.  That's sort of what's happened in the UK, though they had far fewer guns per capita.  Tons of black market weapons from the US get traded in the UK.
Thanks, MaxwellSmart... I KNEW we'd eventually agree. I really DO hate guns though :\'(

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 05/27/04 at 7:49 pm

Ruin a liberals' day, buy a gun today!
Did it ever occur to people that some 'LIBERALS' might own a GAT(slang for gun)or two?Especially at a time when some of the cops are just as crooked as the criminals!?!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/27/04 at 8:25 pm

Did it ever occur to people that some 'LIBERALS' might own a GAT(slang for gun)or two?Especially at a time when some of the cops are just as crooked as the criminals!?!

Gat? What year is this, 1938?
;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/27/04 at 10:31 pm

;)
Whatever that means...the accomplice to my sons murder upon hearing that Blaine had died turned to the shooter and said "YO man, you committed an O.G."....ALL that means to me is hey "Loser" you just committed a "Murder"...so in good grammer or ebonical crap it still means the same thing :-\\

Written By: BlaznFattyz on 05/28/04 at 12:25 am

i say no on the guns.  at one time it may have been needed to have guns, like when we first settled here and had to fight the british , but we are from removed from those days.  england doesnt use guns they way we do.  they have less crime and less deaths.  sure the military should have them to defend our country.  police just need stun guns or something to immobilize, not kill.

Written By: 80sRocked on 05/28/04 at 12:58 am

police just need stun guns or something to immobilize, not kill.

I'm assuming you're joking. :)

Put yourself in a cop's shoes:  You are in a standoff with a maniac with a gun pointed at your face, and all you have to defend yourself is a stun gun?  If both triggers are pulled, who's going down?  The one who has a bullet in their face, or the one with stun barbs in their's (and if the cop is shot dead, the stun gun is useless). 

I think the answer is clear. ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/28/04 at 12:41 pm

i say no on the guns.  at one time it may have been needed to have guns, like when we first settled here and had to fight the british , but we are from removed from those days.   england doesnt use guns they way we do.   they have less crime and less deaths.   sure the military should have them to defend our country.  police just need stun guns or something to immobilize, not kill.
Unfortunately we can't get rid of ALL the guns! The jerk that killed my son WAS in the military at the time and used his gun to murder. Getting rid of all guns will only leave the guns in the hands of criminals, whatever and whoever they are :(

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 05/28/04 at 6:47 pm

;)
sorry

Written By: GWBush2004 on 05/28/04 at 9:08 pm

I'm assuming you're joking. :)

Put yourself in a cop's shoes:  You are in a standoff with a maniac with a gun pointed at your face, and all you have to defend yourself is a stun gun?  If both triggers are pulled, who's going down?  The one who has a bullet in their face, or the one with stun barbs in their's (and if the cop is shot dead, the stun gun is useless). 

I think the answer is clear. ;)

That is a very valid point.  But you forgot to mention long-distance fighting.  A gun can knock a cop dead easily a 1000 yards away, with a stun gun or pepper spray you have to be with a few feet.  Plus is the U.S government all of a sudden just said, nope we ban all guns, second amendment means nothing; closed down all gun stores, gun shows, went house to house and took guns away do you honestly believe all the huns would be gone?  Heck no.  That will NEVER happen, even if they're banned, you leave the good unarmed and the bad packing some serious heat.  I'm sure the cops wouldn't want their guns taken away either.  And what even makes this country better is that that stupid brady law will finally die in September which will make guns with clips larger then 10 rounds, assult rifles, and saftey locks illegal.  Thank God.  I am going out on Sep. 13 and weather you liberals like it or not buying an AK-47 with a 30 round clip.  And to the ill-informed people, this is not an automatic AK-47 like the ones you see on T.V, those were all fully banned in 1933 with a law saying that sawed-off shotguns, fully automatic guns, selling guns to people under 18 and selling guns to the mentally retarded is illegal.  I agree with that.  But down with Brady, Reagen's favorite vegatable.

Ask yourself this:  If you were a crook, would you prefer your victim armed or unarmed?

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 05/28/04 at 9:29 pm

Getting rid of guns won't stop people who are sociopaths anyway,they will just use another method to do the dirty deeds!Plastique,Molotov cocktails,gasoline.TNT,fertilizer,mines,grenades,knives,shivs,rope,vehicles,bio-chemical agents...psychopaths who really want to put a hurting on others have all this and more at their disposal! Remember 9/11,the Oklahoma City bombing,and Pan Am 104!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/28/04 at 9:34 pm

Getting rid of guns won't stop people who are sociopaths anyway,they will just use another method to do the dirty deeds!Plastique,Molotov cocktails,gasoline.TNT,fertilizer,mines,grenades,knives,shivs,rope,vehicles,bio-chemical agents...psychopaths who really want to put a hurting on others have all this and more at their disposal! Remember 9/11,the Oklahoma City bombing,and Pan Am 104!
All I remember is my sweet hard working 17 year old son being murdered for a lousy $217....so they flashed a gun..they HAD the $ and should've just left. If it wasn't them it would've been somebody else >:(

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/28/04 at 9:52 pm

Ask yourself this:  If you were a crook, would you prefer your victim armed or unarmed?
Oh the ass that killed my son liked that he had the upper hand....BTW...here in Colorado we have a law called the "Make My Day" law...since 1985 if somebody enters your house with force and is obviously trying to kill you, you have the right to kill them first....."Kill or BE killed" is  the way I see it. subway and ALL the places that employ young kids that are alone closing up with NO adult OR security guard in place to scare these thugs off should be held up as an example of idiocy....WHY should an honest hard-working person have to fear for thier lives everytime they go to work...especially at night? Blaine was able to save the life of his c0-worker...16 year old Jennifer, but it cost him his life. F.U. subway >:(

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/28/04 at 10:19 pm

Personally, I will never own a gun nor allow one in my house.  However, there was a case up here in IL a few years ago where a man's home was broken into and among the stolen items were his house & car keys.  The idiot who broke in came back the next night and the old guy put a cap in his behind.  The ironic thing is that the town he lived in had an ordinance outlawing guns so the powers that be were debating on whether or not to fine him and possibly arrest him.  I don't remember how it turned out, but that's the type of situation MANY people would be in if they were outlawed.  It wouldn't be only the criminals, it would be those who live in crime-infested areas, who otherwise are law-abiding citizens, who would still have them.  Anyway, I voted yes, we should be allowed to own guns.
I appreciate and respect your opinion 80scheerleader....You just said what I've been trying to get across all along in this topic....Outlaw guns and the criminals STILL have them ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/29/04 at 1:53 am

GWB'S
I'm sure the cops wouldn't want their guns taken away either.  And what even makes this country better is that that stupid brady law will finally die in September which will make guns with clips larger then 10 rounds, assult rifles, and saftey locks illegal.
Police officers favor gun control laws, unless they're police officers solicited by some or other right-wing special interest.
Thank God.  I am going out on Sep. 13 and weather you liberals like it or not buying an AK-47 with a 30 round clip.  And to the ill-informed people, this is not an automatic AK-47 like the ones you see on T.V, those were all fully banned in 1933 with a law saying that sawed-off shotguns, fully automatic guns, selling guns to people under 18
These restrictions are clearly a violation of the Second Amendment.  You should be able to buy whatever you want, and however many you want on Sept.13, or any other day of the year!
and selling guns to the mentally retarded is illegal.
Easy set up. DON'T tempt me!!
:-X
  I agree with that.  But down with Brady, Reagen's favorite vegatable.  Ask yourself this:  If you were a crook, would you prefer your victim armed or unarmed?
Reagan supported the Brady Bill, but then again, he probably supported The Brady Bunch.  It's not nice to make fun of the mentally incapacitated, especially as Reagan's brain is turning into tapioca pudding.  And you could at least bother to spell your favorite president's name right.  BTW, Enron's employees were unarmed.  I wonder if they all walked around packing heat if Lay, Skilling, and the other executive pirates would have tried to pull off the same heist.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 05/29/04 at 5:05 am

GWB'S

Police officers favor gun control laws, unless they're police officers solicited by some or other right-wing special interest.

I meant cops favor having their handguns, glocks, whatever.  Police don't want their guns taken away, they don't want to have to deal with an armed crook when they only have Pepper spray, a night stick, and a stun gun on them.

Written By: AL-B on 05/29/04 at 10:22 am

My own interpretation of the Second Amendment is that the Founding Fathers gave the people the right to bear arms in order to give them the power to keep the government in check. (Although today this is largely symbolic, because it is neither legal nor affordable for the average citizen to have enough firepower to seriously challenge the federal government, if it came down to it.) This is one of the main reasons why so many Americans are so passionate about gun ownership. If the government ever decided to repeal the 2nd Amendment and attempted to confiscate all privately owned firearms, there would be a bloodbath in this country like you'd never believe.

Written By: AL-B on 05/29/04 at 10:25 am

And what even makes this country better is that that stupid brady law will finally die in September which will make guns with clips larger then 10 rounds, assult rifles, and saftey locks illegal.  Thank God.  I am going out on Sep. 13 and weather you liberals like it or not buying an AK-47 with a 30 round clip. 
You know, (and this is the honest-to-God truth), I've always thought it would be kind of cool to have an old .45 caliber Thompson sub-machine gun. ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/29/04 at 12:18 pm

You know, (and this is the honest-to-God truth), I've always thought it would be kind of cool to have an old .45 caliber Thompson sub-machine gun. ;) http://www.nfatoys.com/tsmg/

A "tommy" gun, You mean like that song by THE CLASH?

TOMMY GUN
tommy gun
you ain't happy less you got one
tommy gun
ain't gonna shoot the place up
just for fun
maybe he wants to die for the money
maybe he wants to kill for his country
whatever he wants, he's gonna get it!

tommy gun
you better strip it down for a custom run
tommy gun
waiting in the airport 'till kingdom come
an' we can watch you make it
on the nine o'clock news
standing there in palestine lighting the fuse
whatever you want, you're gonna get it

tommy gun
you'll be dead when your war is won
tommy gun
but did you have to gun down everyone?
i can see it's kill or be killed
a nation of destiny has got to be fulfilled
whatever you want, you're gonna get it!

tommy gun
you can be a hero in an age of none
tommy gun
i'm cutting out your picture from page one
i'm gonna get a jacket just like yours
an' give my false support to your cause

boats an' tanks and planes, it's your game
kings an' queens an' generals learn your name
i see all the innocents, the human sacrifice
and if death comes so cheap
then the same goes for life!

Written By: AL-B on 05/29/04 at 1:20 pm

A "tommy" gun, You mean like that song by THE CLASH?

TOMMY GUN
tommy gun
you ain't happy less you got one
tommy gun
ain't gonna shoot the place up
just for fun
maybe he wants to die for the money
maybe he wants to kill for his country
whatever he wants, he's gonna get it!

tommy gun
you better strip it down for a custom run
tommy gun
waiting in the airport 'till kingdom come
an' we can watch you make it
on the nine o'clock news
standing there in palestine lighting the fuse
whatever you want, you're gonna get it

tommy gun
you'll be dead when your war is won
tommy gun
but did you have to gun down everyone?
i can see it's kill or be killed
a nation of destiny has got to be fulfilled

tommy gun
you can be a hero in an age of none
tommy gun
i'm cutting out your picture from page one
i'm gonna get a jacket just like yours
an' give my false support to your cause

boats an' tanks and planes, it's your game
kings an' queens an' generals learn your name
i see all the innocents, the human sacrifice
and if death comes so cheap
then the same goes for life!

Well, it's not like I'm a homicidal maniac who wants to go to a shopping mall and just start wasting people. I just think it'd be a gas to go out into the country with an old Tommy gun and blast away at an old car or something. You gotta admit, that would be a lot of fun. ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/29/04 at 2:00 pm

Okay, maybe I don't have the entire story, but why is it Subway's fault that your son was killed while working there?
They...like MANY other places, hire young kids with NO adults around...especially at night. subway hired adults after my son died under community pressure but turned around after a couple months and went right back to thier old ways....I have been on a personal crusade with some groups here but we've had little to no success. With all that money corperations like that have, to not be able to afford a security guard >:(

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/29/04 at 7:53 pm

Well, it's not like I'm a homicidal maniac who wants to go to a shopping mall and just start wasting people. I just think it'd be a gas to go out into the country with an old Tommy gun and blast away at an old car or something. You gotta admit, that would be a lot of fun. ;)

Yeah, there are certain "guy" things, common testosterone fantasies of beltfed weapons, explosives, and a limitless supply of stuff to destroy.
;)

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 05/29/04 at 8:02 pm

Sylvia Seegrist was one person who should never have had access to a gun. She shot several people in a crowded mall in Pennsylvania. Seegrist had schizophrenia and was not compliant with her medication! She is now in a state hospital for the criminally insane.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 05/29/04 at 8:08 pm

8)Some NASCAR drivers are also avid hunters,thus,they own rifles and such. DALE EARNHARDT(RIP) was among those who were avid hunters and sportsmen. But I'd bet if anyone messed with 'Intimidator' or his family,they'd be staring down a loaded weapon! >:(

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/29/04 at 8:22 pm

I agree that adults should be present, but do you honestly think it would have changed what happened?  Do you honestly believe that the idiots who murdered Blaine and his coworker would have had a second thought if an adult was present?  Don't think so.  Not to mention that most adults aren't willing to work the later hours for the wages the store pays.  Subways, like most stores of any other chain, are privately owned.  A friend of mine owned 2 shops and they made a profit, but if they had been required to hire security guards, they would have LOST money.
Blaine actually saved Jennifers life by putting himself between her and the jerk with the gun. The other guy had the money and was out the door just as he fired a warning shot through Blaines pant leg. He waited for 4 seconds before raising the gun a second time and shot Blaine through his heart...the bullet missed Jennifer (Who was holding on to Blaine) by inches. I truely believe an adult may have been a deterent. At least that is what the lead investigator told us. Guess we'll never really know. As for subway....Jennifer did not know where the "Panic Button" was located and she tried in vein to feel for it..they had too close of an eye on my son. I also know that at 7-11 stores employees have a mobile panic button in thier pockets.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/29/04 at 9:23 pm

Sylvia Seegrist was one person who should never have had access to a gun. She shot several people in a crowded mall in Pennsylvania. Seegrist had schizophrenia and was not compliant with her medication! She is now in a state hospital for the criminally insane.

Yes, as I was saying last weeks, some schizophrenics can be dangerous and violent, though they're a minority.  Most schizophrenics, violent or not, used to spend their lives locked away in mental hospitals.  This was a terrible system, but deinstitutionalization has its own problems.  It's very difficult to keep unsupervised schizophrenics medication compliant.  Their thinking becomes too disorganized and too delusional.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 05/29/04 at 9:47 pm

I think America has become a gun-addicted,violent, sociopathic, sick society,at least in some places! I don't think our founding fathers had nuts like Timothy McVeigh,Ted Bundy,David'son of sam'Berkowitz,Lee Harvey Oswald,James Earl Ray,David Koresh,Charles Manson and his 'family',or Colin 'long island railroad killer' Ferguson in mind!

Written By: AL-B on 05/29/04 at 10:43 pm

I think America has become a gun-addicted,violent, sociopathic, sick society,at least in some places! I don't think our founding fathers had nuts like Timothy McVeigh,Ted Bundy,David'son of sam'Berkowitz,Lee Harvey Oswald,James Earl Ray,David Koresh,Charles Manson and his 'family',or Colin 'long island railroad killer' Ferguson in mind!
Of course they had nuts back then. What they didn't have is our present-day revolving-door justice system. They didn't mess around like we do now. No, most of these guys would've been strung up long before they got to the point where they went on killing sprees.

Written By: JT74 on 05/29/04 at 11:47 pm

I disagree.  If this were the case, then knives, bottles, motor vehicles, over-the-counter medication, and, well, practically EVERYTHING would be illegal!  The fact is, there's no way to get rid of all the guns in North America.  It would be impossible.  Many guns are family heirlooms and are not registered, and then we have the people who actually use these weapons for illegal purposes.  Do you think any of these people would turn their guns in?  Do you think the government knows about these guns?

Guns are used for more than killing people.  Many are gun hobbyists who simply enjoy shooting.  There are thousands of shooting ranges in North America alone.  Then we have hunters, without whom the deer population would be so great that it would be illegal to drive on country roads at night. 

I personally don't own a gun.  They ONLY way that I'd be for any kind of anti-gun law is if the government could assure me that all criminals have been cleansed of theirs first.  Could they do this?  Not hardly...many criminals' firearms are not registered, so the only people who'd suffer would be those who obtained their guns legally.  They'd also have to implement some sort of deer-culling program.  Hunting is big in my area of Maryland, people STILL hit deer constantly.   Bows and arrows are not nearly as accurate as Winchesters.

Written By: Fred on 05/30/04 at 2:06 am

Guns are used for more than killing people.  Many are gun hobbyists who simply enjoy shooting.

This is me.

Written By: Claude_Prez on 05/30/04 at 5:53 am

Of course they had nuts back then. What they didn't have is our present-day revolving-door justice system. They didn't mess around like we do now. No, most of these guys would've been strung up long before they got to the point where they went on killing sprees.

This is the most reasonable post I've seen on this thread in a long time.  It actually deserves to be in bold type.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/30/04 at 6:18 am

I see the gun obsession as distinct from serial/mass murderers.  The madmen you listed had a variety of sick motivations.  The "gun-addiction," as you put it, is pushed by a tiny minority of gun lobbyists.  Many millions of Americans own firearms, but the NRA agitator wing keeps the harping on "Second Amendment rights" a constant in the media.

AL-B wrote

There are several books out on the history of serial murder.  There were many prolfic serial  killers prior to the 20th century.  Many of them were in the wealthy or aristocratic classes which allowed them freedom from legal scrutiny and property to secret victims away.  Others were quack physicians, traveling mercenaries, or soldiers-of-fortune.  The law was a looser and slower institution prior to modern telecommunications, 20th century transportation, and high-tech forensic techniques.  These days a lot more criminals get caught, and get caught much sooner.
I believe the old notion of vigilante justice is romantic and false.  More innocent people got lynched than guilty ones, and often the real criminals got away.  And let's not forget the use of "stringing up" as a tool of terror against African Americans in the Jim Crow era.
Ironically, the automobile and the highway has also been an effective tool of the trade by some serial killers, for instance, Henry Lee Lucas and Gary Ridgeway.

Written By: Dagwood on 05/30/04 at 8:29 am

The only problem with this is alot of these people didn't use guns...they used knives or bombs.  Tim McVeigh used a truck bomb, Ted Bundy usually stabbed his victims, Charles Manson had his family stab people also. 

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 05/30/04 at 9:46 am

Charles Manson had his family stab people also.

No, not just stab. The guy who was killed in his car at the home of Sharon Tate and Roman Polanski (I forget his name and who he was), was shot. I think "Tex" Watson had the gun. I think everyone else was stabbed though, including the LaBianca <sp?> couple.

I hope I have my facts straight!

Absolutely Vile

Written By: AL-B on 05/30/04 at 12:12 pm

No, not just stab. The guy who was killed in his car at the home of Sharon Tate and Roman Polanski (I forget his name and who he was), was shot. I think "Tex" Watson had the gun. I think everyone else was stabbed though, including the LaBianca <sp?> couple.

Absolutely Vile
As Archie Bunker once said, would it make any difference if they were pushed out of windows? ;D

Written By: GWBush2004 on 05/30/04 at 12:35 pm

Well the poll seems clear, nearly 2/3rds of us say yes we should be allowed to own firearms.  Now if we can re-legalize fireworks in those 10 states that have banned them we would be golden.

Written By: AL-B on 05/30/04 at 1:40 pm

Well the poll seems clear, nearly 2/3rds of us say yes we should be allowed to own firearms.  Now if we can re-legalize fireworks in those 10 states that have banned them we would be golden.
They outlawed bottle rockets in Nebraska in the 70's. Oh well, Rock Port, Missouri is only an hour's drive away. ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/30/04 at 2:29 pm

They outlawed bottle rockets in Nebraska in the 70's. Oh well, Rock Port, Missouri is only an hour's drive away. ;)

Fireworks are legal in New Hampshire.  The Massachusetts cops were busting people as they re-entered the state.  How'd they know?  Methinks they were sending cops incognito over the state line to fireworks outlets in Salem, and then posting a cruiser on the border at Rte. 213, the quickest corridor between Salem and Mass.  The undercover cop would radio Mass. plates in as they left the shop and turned onto 213 South.  Word got around.  It was more scare tactic than anything.  The lesson: drive to points farther north for your fireworks.
Typical Mass. cop mentality.  Let's not fight REAL crime, let's hassle citizens just trying to have a little fun!
>:(

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 05/30/04 at 3:11 pm

Fireworks are legal in New Hampshire.  The Massachusetts cops were busting people as they re-entered the state.  How'd they know?  Methinks they were sending cops incognito over the state line to fireworks outlets in Salem, and then posting a cruiser on the border at Rte. 213, the quickest corridor between Salem and Mass.  The undercover cop would radio Mass. plates in as they left the shop and turned onto 213 South.  Word got around.  It was more scare tactic than anything.  The lesson: drive to points farther north for your fireworks.
Typical Mass. cop mentality.  Let's not fight REAL crime, let's hassle citizens just trying to have a little fun!
>:(
I think the reason that fireworks for home use are banned in several states is because kids get hold of them and cause major problems by mishandling them and even getting themselves maimed,or worse,killed! But I think it's also a case of PARENTS not doing their job of protecting their kids!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/30/04 at 3:17 pm

I think the reason that fireworks for home use are banned in several states is because kids get hold of them and cause major problems by mishandling them and even getting themselves maimed,or worse,killed! But I think it's also a case of PARENTS not doing their job of protecting their kids!

Not just kids, adults who are dumb, drunk, or both, get themselves maimed every year due to mishandling of fireworks.

Written By: Dagwood on 05/30/04 at 3:24 pm

I don't.  I live in Utah and most fireworks are ok here, just not the ones that shoot in the air. (bottle rockets, roman candles, etc).  The main reason they are banned here is the fire danger.  There are areas that even sparklers can't be used because of the fire danger.  We are in a desert so I see the reason for the ban.

Written By: Dagwood on 05/30/04 at 3:25 pm

Absolutely Vile

I think you are right.  It sounds right anyway.  I tend to forget about him...I guess it is the story of what was in the house that sticks in my mind. **shudder**

Written By: GWBush2004 on 05/30/04 at 3:40 pm

LOL!  I do the same thing.  They have been banned here in Georgia for a long time.  But the Alabama state line is only 50 minutes away.  Hell every state around us (Alabama, Tennessee, Florida, and South Carolina) has legal fireworks, but Alabama is nearest.  Only 10 states have banned them and I have to live in one of those 10, what a waste of good economy money that can easily help Georgia since we're ranked 50th in education.

Written By: AL-B on 05/30/04 at 4:24 pm

LOL!  I do the same thing.  They have been banned here in Georgia for a long time.  But the Alabama state line is only 50 minutes away.   Hell every state around us (Alabama, Tennessee, Florida, and South Carolina) has legal fireworks, but Alabama is nearest.  Only 10 states have banned them and I have to live in one of those 10, what a waste of good economy money that can easily help Georgia since we're ranked 50th in education.
When I was driving truck cross-country I remember going past a HUGE fireworks stand (actually it was more like a mall--it was at least as big as a Wal-Mart) somewhere around Chattanooga called "Tennessee-Alabama Fireworks." Ever go there?

Written By: AL-B on 05/30/04 at 4:33 pm

Most fireworks are still legal in Nebraska, the main exception being bottle rockets. The reason they banned them is because they were starting too many fires. There was a lumberyard in my hometown that burned down in the mid/late 70's because of a stray bottle rocket.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/31/04 at 12:58 am

I think you are right.  It sounds right anyway.  I tend to forget about him...I guess it is the story of what was in the house that sticks in my mind. **shudder**

Tex Watson was an all-American football hero in high school.  I don't recall exactly how he fell under the spell of Charlie.  I do know that when they caught him, he tried to convince authorities he was insane.  He thought he could throw all the psych tests.  Unfortunately for Tex, psych test administrators can tell right away if you're trying to pull a loony-toon, so it was off to death row.  All the death sentences got commuted a few years later when the Supreme Court banned the death penalty.  Tex later "found religion" and is now a prison evangelist.  He also got married, and due to California's generous conjugal allowances, he's fathered four kids!
It's a sick sad world, I tell ya!
:D

Written By: 80sRocked on 05/31/04 at 1:09 am

LOL!  I do the same thing.  They have been banned here in Georgia for a long time.  But the Alabama state line is only 50 minutes away.   Hell every state around us (Alabama, Tennessee, Florida, and South Carolina) has legal fireworks, but Alabama is nearest.  Only 10 states have banned them and I have to live in one of those 10, what a waste of good economy money that can easily help Georgia since we're ranked 50th in education.

Here in Indiana, its "illegal" to fire off the ones the fly in the air like morters and rockets, but whats funny is they sell them at every fireworks store, and when you buy them you have to sign an agreement that says you agree to take them out-of-state, or fire them in designated areas in the presence of a fire marshall.

HAHA  YEA RIGHT!  ;D  Its simple, you go to the store, buy the illegal ones, go home, and fire them off.  It is not an inforced law here, at least not in this area.  My bro-in-law is a cop and we put on a big fireworks show for family/freinds every July, including rockets, morters, and everything else that are "illegal" and that we are supposed to take out-of-state to use.

For the record, the agreement you sign costs $3.  The state gets cash off of this out-of-state law, and then don't enforce it.  Enough said. :P

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 05/31/04 at 1:13 am

What about people like Bernie Goetz(spelling?)who have shot people in self-defense?A bunch of teenagers tried to attack him on the New York City subway...pretty foolish on the kids' part!

Written By: AL-B on 05/31/04 at 1:21 am

Here in Indiana, its "illegal" to fire off the ones the fly in the air like morters and rockets, but whats funny is they sell them at every fireworks store, and when you buy them you have to sign an agreement that says you agree to take them out-of-state, or fire them in designated areas in the presence of a fire marshall.

HAHA  YEA RIGHT!  ;D  Its simple, you go to the store, buy the illegal ones, go home, and fire them off.  It is not an inforced law here, at least not in this area.  My bro-in-law is a cop and we put on a big fireworks show for family/freinds every July, including rockets, morters, and everything else that are "illegal" and that we are supposed to take out-of-state to use.

For the record, the agreement you sign costs $3.  The state gets cash off of this out-of-state law, and then don't enforce it.  Enough said. :P
Sounds like a scam to me!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/31/04 at 1:50 am

What about people like Bernie Goetz(spelling?)who have shot people in self-defense?A bunch of teenagers tried to attack him on the New York City subway...pretty foolish on the kids' part!

LOL!
Yeah, I got five dollars, for all of YOU! bang bang bang!
As Bocat Goldthwaite said, "They were holding him up with a screwdriver, 'Give us your money, or we'll make your glasses really wobbly!"
;D

Written By: Johnny_D on 08/10/04 at 10:58 am

No.

Well said, Claude, I agree 100%. 

And if I ever want to own a gun, I demand to be given a 100% fair and equitable opportunity to demonstrate to our democratically-elected representatives that, as a law-abiding citizen, I deserve the privilege of owning a gun.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/10/04 at 11:26 am

Yeah, yeah, Woody Guthrie and Johnny Cash sang songs about "outlaws."  The targets of the "outlaws" were banks, corrupt politicians, thuggish cops, and the like. 

One of Johnny Cash's most famous lyrics...

"..I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die..."

Written By: Don Carlos on 08/10/04 at 3:25 pm

One of Johnny Cash's most famous lyrics...

"..I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die..."

I voted yes, because that's what the 2nd amendment says, but tell me, are you advocating Johnny Cash's lyric?

I admit that I haven't read the whole thread so I may be taking this out of context.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/10/04 at 3:31 pm

I voted yes, because that's what the 2nd amendment says, but tell me, are you advocating Johnny Cash's lyric?

I admit that I haven't read the whole thread so I may be taking this out of context.

"Fulsome Prison Blues" is a great song.  I remember Pat Robertson defending it to someone who challenged Robertson's condemnation of violent rap lyrics.  Robertson said FPB was a song of repentence in which the narrator is sorry for the crimes he commited.  Nonsense, the narrator is just sorry he got caught!

Check for new replies or respond here...