» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: FOX News and Canada...

Written By: 80sRocked on 05/13/04 at 9:22 pm

This was mentioned by someone else earlier today in a thread (before being deleted), but it did bring up something I have wondered about for a while.

First of all, lets get this out of the way:  Yes, FOX News is right-leaning.  Thats no question.  But, they do provide a different perspective on things, and at times it is refreshing.

The question is:

Why is FOX News not allowed in Canada?  One cannot deny that Canada, as a whole, is more liberal than America, but doesn't censoring an entire news network go against the liberal way of thinking?  I just became aware a few weeks ago that Canada doesn't allow FOX News, and it struck me as sort of strange that, as a pretty liberal country, they won;t allow a network because it doesn't share their point of view as a whole.

I'm not trying to start a debate on the merits of FOX News, but simply what Canadians feels about their country not allowing something in that might not be alligned their popluar opinion.

As the other person (I can't remember who it was, I think it was GWBush2004) mentioned today, even Communist China allows FOX News in their country, so why not Canada?

Subject: Re: FOX News and Canada...

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/13/04 at 9:38 pm

Because Canada needs to devote as many channels to hockey and curling as possible and FOX News was the odd man out ;)

Kidding.  I honestly don't know.

But I like hockey.

Written By: resinchaser on 05/13/04 at 9:44 pm

I live in Canada and I have often asked myself the same question. I do know that the canadian government has strict rules regarding the number of American channels we have access to. Some garbage about promoting canadian television. But I don't think that that's the reason Fox News is not here. After all we get MSNBC (snorefest). Since I can't watch it on TV  I regularly go to the Fox News website though. It's good to get views from both points. But I still like CNN just to watch Crossfire. How canadian of me to love an american political debate show so much. 

Because Canada needs to devote as many channels to hockey and curling as possible and FOX News was the odd man out ;)

You're on to us. Now we even have the World Cup of hockey for us fans who need a fix in the middle of summer.

Written By: SmithsGirl on 05/13/04 at 10:09 pm

Born and raised in Canada and I have never even heard of Fox News. I only know Fox as a television channel that airs sitcoms,reality programs, and movies. No idea they even broadcast news.

resinchaser is right though. We only broadcast a few choice american news channels. The only american news we get is whatever border we are closest to. For instance I live in Toronto so we get about 2 or 3 Buffalo, New York news channels and of course CNN.

SmithsGirl

Written By: Fred on 05/14/04 at 2:26 am

Technically guys, if you know your electronics (like me) you can get Fox News in Canada, and every single American TV station (HBO, MSNBC, CNBC, ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN, MTV, MTV2....the list goes on and on), all you need is good friend in the Black Market. No, you can get all of these on standard cable or digital cable.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 05/14/04 at 4:47 am

Fred I should warn you that its not smart to do that.  I heard from Bill O'Reilly that anyone in Canada who watchs Fox News and gets caught can get a $25,000 dollar fine.  Just warning you.  I don't get why Canada can't get Fox News, even red Chnia gets it.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/14/04 at 8:24 am

Fred I should warn you that its not smart to do that.  I heard from Bill O'Reilly that anyone in Canada who watchs Fox News and gets caught can get a $25,000 dollar fine.  Just warning you.  I don't get why Canada can't get Fox News, even red Chnia gets it.

I don't agree with the Canadian government's decision not to allow Fox Newt.  I believe in the free market of ideas, and Canadians could use a few more laughs.  It might help the Canadian governmet warm up to Fox Newt if blowhard Bill O'Reilly wasn't bashing and their country and proposing a boycott of it.  Can't imagine that helps.
I think a fair number of Canadians would agree with the Fox Newt take on the world, but the presence of Fox would probably make more Canadians dislike America.  The more Fox Newt gets around the world, the more the rest of the world gets re-aquainted with the "Ugly American."

Written By: SmithsGirl on 05/14/04 at 9:46 am

Why , may I so boldly ask, is it So important that we Canadian's be subjected to "Fox news"?

What's the deal?

SmithsGirl

Written By: GWBush2004 on 05/14/04 at 9:55 am

Why , may I so boldly ask, is it So important that we Canadian's be subjected to "Fox news"?

What's the deal?

SmithsGirl

A better question would be why can't the canadians who want Fox News not be allowed to have it?

Written By: conker on 05/14/04 at 12:12 pm

A better question would be why can't the canadians who want Fox News not be allowed to have it?
  My answer to that would be 'why can't Americans who want cheaper prescription drugs or free medical care not be allowed to have it?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/14/04 at 12:16 pm

My answer to that would be 'why can't Americans who want cheaper prescription drugs or free medical care not be allowed to have it?

Touche  ;D ;D ;D

Cat 

Written By: GWBush2004 on 05/14/04 at 12:27 pm

For one you should be allowed to watch anything you want to watch, the government (canada) should not be able to iinterfere  Now for drugs, thats different.  For one, canada according to the FDA do not have the standards America does.  They sell out of date drugs that may be expired.  When buying drugs from canada you must sign a waiver saying that if you get sick or die while taking ttheirdrugs, your family or you cannot sue or complain about it.  canada's packaging does not meet on standards.  Their doctors do not meet our minimum standards.  Buying drugs from canada may help their economy and at the same time throw our economy into a recession.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/14/04 at 12:46 pm

For one you should be allowed to watch anything you want to watch, the government (canada) should not be able to iinterfere  Now for drugs, thats different.  For one, canada according to the FDA do not have the standards America does.  They sell out of date drugs that may be expired.  When buying drugs from canada you must sign a waiver saying that if you get sick or die while taking ttheirdrugs, your family or you cannot sue or complain about it.  canada's packaging does not meet on standards.  Their doctors do not meet our minimum standards.  Buying drugs from canada may help their economy and at the same time throw our economy into a recession.

That is just plain bull that the pharmaceutical companies want us to think. The fact it that these are the exact same drugs that are sold in the U.S. but because the Canadian government regulates the price (unlike the U.S.) they are sold to the consumer cheaper. If the pharmaceutical companies really cared, they would lower the prices here in the U.S. or if the U.S. government really cared, they would have a price cap like the Canadian government does. But, we all know that the pharmaceutical companies own Washington so that will never happen.

As for Fox News not being on Canadian t.v. that is up to Canadians. If they really want it, they should let their government know. So far, I haven't heard an outcry about this from Canadians here on the board. It could be possible that is how the majority of Canadians feel too.

Sorry for getting off topic for a bit.

Cat

Written By: conker on 05/14/04 at 12:46 pm

Man the Fox News types have gotten to you....where do you think a good percentage of the FDA approved drugs are made....could it be Canada? All the big drug companies have plants here do research here and sell a good amount of drugs here, we just allow pantents to expire after 17 years(and this was increased due to US and drug company pressure) I think it is instead of an indefinite period...that allows that most American of values; competition and Capitalism into the system.  Once out of patent protection other companies and copy and sell competing version of those chemical compounds and help drive down prices.
when I go to the pharmacy the drugs I get come from the same factories that any drugs you'd buy in the good old US of A.  There's no dead and dying bodies in the street here the hospitals aren't full of people who have taken expired or 'faulty' drugs.

The main problem is when buying off the internet you don't always get what you pay for and many of the so called 'Canadian' internet drug outlets are actually in 3rd world countries or are frauds.

Written By: resinchaser on 05/14/04 at 12:47 pm

Man the Fox News types have gotten to you....where do you think a good percentage of the FDA approved drugs are made....could it be Canada? All the big drug companies have plants here do research here and sell a good amount of drugs here, we just allow pantents to expire after 17 years(and this was increased due to US and drug company pressure) I think it is instead of an indefinite period...that allows that most American of values; competition and Capitalism into the system.  Once out of patent protection other companies and copy and sell competing version of those chemical compounds and help drive down prices.
when I go to the pharmacy the drugs I get come from the same factories that any drugs you'd buy in the good old US of A.  There's no dead and dying bodies in the street here the hospitals aren't full of people who have taken expired or 'faulty' drugs.

The main problem is when buying off the internet you don't always get what you pay for and many of the so called 'Canadian' internet drug outlets are actually in 3rd world countries or are frauds.

Right on!

Written By: GWBush2004 on 05/14/04 at 1:31 pm

First Fox News, FOX NEWS IS NOT REPUBLICAN!  Its fair-and-balanced.  What do others watch?  CNN?  CNN's a joke.  Fox is watched 2 to 1 over CNN and Fox is ranked higher than ABC and MSNBC combined.  Now for the drugs, the American thing is a myth.  No one has been able to prove that.  Again what is some fraud happens?  What if you sign that waiver and some dishonest doctor in canada sends you the wrong medicine and you die?  Whats your family suppose to do?  Besides this is off-topic, and canada drugs are illegal in the U.S and I hope it stays that way.

Written By: resinchaser on 05/14/04 at 1:43 pm

First Fox News, FOX NEWS IS NOT REPUBLICAN!  Its fair-and-balanced.  What do others watch?  CNN?  CNN's a joke.  Fox is watched 2 to 1 over CNN and Fox is ranked higher than ABC and MSNBC combined.  Now for the drugs, the American thing is a myth.  No one has been able to prove that.  Again what is some fraud happens?  What if you sign that waiver and some dishonest doctor in canada sends you the wrong medicine and you die?  Whats your family suppose to do?  Besides this is off-topic, and canada drugs are illegal in the U.S and I hope it stays that way.

Most pharmacies up here honor prescriptions written by american doctors. So your dishonest underqualified canadian doctor scenario is full of crap.

FOX is not Republican? You're joking right? It's news given from a conservative point of view. CNN is typically news from a liberal viewpoint. Do you wear blinders or what? You only want to hear one side of an argument and that's it? Higher ratings doesn't mean that they are the only ones who are right.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/14/04 at 1:47 pm

FOX News is pretty much Republican.  Alan Colmes may be a liberal but he's not even remotely a challenge for Hannity.

Written By: 80sRocked on 05/14/04 at 4:10 pm

Way to dodge the question there. ;)

I guess there is no real answer, from what I've read so far" as to why the Canadian govt won't allow a news channel with another point of view into the country. 

...and I always thought liberalism stood for tolerance and acceptance, not cencorship.  Silly me.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 05/14/04 at 5:05 pm

FOX is not Republican? You're joking right? It's news given from a conservative point of view. CNN is typically news from a liberal viewpoint. Do you wear blinders or what? You only want to hear one side of an argument and that's it? Higher ratings doesn't mean that they are the only ones who are right.

No i'm not ever show with people is fair-and-balanced.  Beltway Boys-1 dem and 1 rep, Hannity and Colmes -1 dem and 1 rep, Fox and friends- 1 dem and 1 rep and 1 independent, that show after the beltway boys (can't remember name) -2 dem and 2 rep and a host whos independent, then you got Bill O'Reilly, Greta Van Sustern, Neil Cavuto all independents who thier own show.  CNN is nothing but liberals!

Written By: GWBush2004 on 05/14/04 at 5:15 pm

Way to dodge the question there. ;)

I guess there is no real answer, from what I've read so far" as to why the Canadian govt won't allow a news channel with another point of view into the country. 

...and I always thought liberalism stood for tolerance and acceptance, not cencorship.  Silly me.

NOW THATS TRUE, I LIKE THAT.  HEAR HEAR!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/14/04 at 5:41 pm

Long before Michael Moore made a pun on Ray Bradbury's novel, Fahrenheit 451l, I took to calling FOX News, "Fair and Balanced 451."
;D

The idea of fraudulent drugs coming from Canada is a scare tactic.  I wouldn't trust drugs from Mexico or Pakistan, though.
The inescapable problem is that the American healthcare system is broken.  American citizens do not have access to the healthcare they need.  Do we want to say, "we stick by the free market, so let your grandma die," or do we want to put PEOPLE before PROFIT.  It's our choice, fellow Americans.  The Republicans and the insurance lobby will tell you that "socialized" medicine will be a disaster and will bankrupt the country.  I see no reason why this has to be.
Bush's tax cuts are a disaster, and they are bankrupting our country.  The current government's servitude to the interestes of the richest three million American's is a disgrace.  As Jim Hightower says, "Never have so few done so much for so few!"
I like Dennis Kucinich and Howard Dean.  Either man would be campaigning with a message of possibility, hope, and healing.  Instead we have John Kerry's duplicitous backpedaling and defensiveness.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 05/14/04 at 5:54 pm

Long before Michael Moore made a pun on Ray Bradbury's novel, Fahrenheit 451l, I took to calling FOX News, "Fair and Balanced 451."
;D

The idea of fraudulent drugs coming from Canada is a scare tactic.  I wouldn't trust drugs from Mexico or Pakistan, though.
The inescapable problem is that the American healthcare system is broken.  American citizens do not have access to the healthcare they need.  Do we want to say, "we stick by the free market, so let your grandma die," or do we want to put PEOPLE before PROFIT.  It's our choice, fellow Americans.  The Republicans and the insurance lobby will tell you that "socialized" medicine will be a disaster and will bankrupt the country.  I see no reason why this has to be.
Bush's tax cuts are a disaster, and they are bankrupting our country.  The current government's servitude to the interestes of the richest three million American's is a disgrace.  As Jim Hightower says, "Never have so few done so much for so few!"
I like Dennis Kucinich and Howard Dean.  Either man would be campaigning with a message of possibility, hope, and healing.  Instead we have John Kerry's duplicitous backpedaling and defensiveness.

So if you really hate the tax cuts did you send your check back?  I doubt it, but some people (all to the left) sent their tax cut checks back because they didn't like them.  I say if you don't like it and you keep and spend the money on yourself, you're a hypocrit!  No-doubt.  And as for the socialized medicine, its not free.  Some think that.  It cost $15.00 extra in income taxes a week to get.  So take $15.00 a week, times that by 4...$60.00 extra a month in income taxes.  Now $15.00 a week with 52 weeks in a year and....$780.00 EXTRA (not just $780.00, that what you pay EXTRA.)  Wow I can really afford that!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/14/04 at 6:25 pm

I found this at http://www.bushpresident2004.com/foxnews.htm

The Chairman of Fox News is Roger Ailes, a former campaign strategist for George W. Bush's father, President George H.W. Bush. In the days after September 11, 2001, Roger Ailes sent a secret letter to George W. Bush's chief political advisor Karl Rove. Rove promptly delivered it to Bush. In this letter, Ailes advises the President, through his political advisor, to use the "harshest measures possible" in response to the terrorist attacks.

"The American public would tolerate waiting and would be patient, but only as long as they were convinced that Bush was using the harshest measures possible. Support would dissipate if the public did not see Bush acting harshly."

- From Roger Ailes' letter to Karl Rove after September 11, 2001
While some may see a conflict of interest in the chairman of a news organization advising the president on political matters, it is actually proof of Fox News' fair and balanced journalism.

Roger Ailes 
The Presidential Election of 2000 was a great moment for Fox News, earning it the reputation as an unbiased news outlet. For Election Night 2000, Roger Ailes hired John Ellis to head the team responsible for analyzing the voter exit polls. Coincidentally, John Ellis is the cousin of George W. Bush and Florida Governor Jeb Bush (Jeb Bush's full name is John Ellis "Jeb" Bush). Ellis spoke frequently with candidate George W. Bush and Governor Jeb Bush on election night about the results coming in from the Florida voter exit polls.

Armed with this uncompromising and unbiased relationship, Ellis made the judgment to declare George W. Bush the winner of the Florida vote, making Fox News the first news outlet to call the state for Bush. Not wanting to miss the scoop, all the other media outlets such as CNN, ABC, CBS, and NBC followed Fox's lead. After the entire nation's media declared George W. Bush president, democratic candidate Al Gore was left looking like a sore loser when pushing for a recount of the razor-thin vote margin.

"I am loyal to my cousin ... I put that loyalty ahead of my loyalty to anyone else outside my immediate family. That being the case, it is not possible for me to continue writing columns about the 2000 presidential campaign."

- John Ellis in 1999, as he resigned as political reporter for the Boston Globe

Fox not Republican? Please don't make me laugh.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/14/04 at 6:39 pm

Fox not Republican? Please don't make me laugh.

Cat

Yes, Cat, I've heard the things you mention and more.  Roger Ailes is a NASTY piece of work.  He's also a former ad executive, which explains why he's sooooo good at what he does.  FOX News is GOP propaganda, plain and simple.

Written By: 80sRocked on 05/14/04 at 6:39 pm

FOX News is right-leaning. 

I'm a Republican and there's no question the FOX News shows the "right" point of views.

But, considering the "left" has CNN, MSNBC, ABC, NBC, CBS, NPR, PBS, CBC, BBC to name a few, on their side, is it so wrong the the "right" has a network on their side?

I havet to ask though:  If FOX News didn't have Bill OReilly or Sean Hannity on there, would anyone be so critical of them as a network?  Their news portion is news.  News is news.  They put a different perspective on it at time (often much more positive and less gloom and doom and disatser and despair), which as far as I'm concerned, is refreshing sometimes.  If you only watch CNN or some of the other "lefty" networks, you would just assume the world is going to end in the next 3 hours.  They never project any optimism.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/14/04 at 6:48 pm

FOX News is right-leaning. 

I'm a Republican and there's no question the FOX News shows the "right" point of views.

But, considering the "left" has CNN, MSNBC, ABC, NBC, CBS, NPR, PBS, CBC, BBC to name a few, on their side, is it so wrong the the "right" has a network on their side?

I don't object to a conservative news station but PLEASE don't call it "Fair and balenced" At least you 80s, see it for what it really is. I repect that.

Cat

Written By: Im Batman on 05/15/04 at 1:33 am

Cosider yourself fortunate Canada that your don't get right wing propaganda garbage like FAUX Noose.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/16/04 at 11:05 pm

The only reason I'm glad Canadians can't see Fox Newt is that it would discourage Canadians from touring in the U.S.  It makes me sick to hear Bill O'Reilly and other blowhards condemn Canada.  Canada is my friend.  FOX is not.

Written By: SmithsGirl on 05/16/04 at 11:08 pm

I still don't get what the big deal is, nor do I care. And who said that us Canadians even want Fox news? Even if someone here wanted to see it, its not like they couldn't, it's called satellite... we don't really live in igloos you know  ::)

SmithsGirl

Written By: 80sRocked on 05/16/04 at 11:11 pm

I still don't get what the big deal is, nor do I care. And who said that us Canadians even want Fox news? Even if someone here wanted to see it, its not like they couldn't, it's called satellite... we don't really live in igloos you know  ::)
SmithsGirl

All I did was ask a simple question.  But like everything else on this board lately, it became a politcal thing and got ran into the ground.

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 05/16/04 at 11:37 pm

I agree with SmithsGirl. Who cares if we don't get Fox News? We live in CANADA!! We get enough American channels with violent, sensationalist drivel "news" as it is! And we do get Fox channels which have news...and it's all crap. Sensational crap to get ratings, that's all. I had no idea there was an entire Fox channel just with news, and I personally am GLAD we don't get it!

By the way...about the comment that was made by a certain person in another thread and then repeated here, I find it offensive.

Absolutely Vile

Written By: conker on 05/17/04 at 6:10 am

Go Vile.

We don't need anymore American news outlets.  The majority of Canadians have cable and access to more than enough US news.  How many shootings in Detroit or Rochester do we need to hear about. Maybe we should be crying for more foreign news as in Europe, Asia, South America.

Just as an aside, we Canadains actually influence alot of the US news gathering, all of the networks Fox included have a large number of ex-pat Canadains on their staffs both in front and behind the cameras...we are slowly taking over.  Hell John Roberts on CBS used to be J.D. Roberts on Much Music(Canadian version of MTV), wearing leather a dog collar and doing the Pepsi Power Hour.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 05/17/04 at 8:02 am

SmithsGirl

See thats the problem.  The canada government has said it will fine 25,000 to anyone caught pulling fox news from a satellite.  That seems like government censorship.

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 05/17/04 at 9:23 am

See thats the problem.  The canada government has said it will fine 25,000 to anyone caught pulling fox news from a satellite.  That seems like government censorship.

And where did that come from? Rush Limbaugh? I'd really like to know how certain people know so much about my country when they don't even live here, and have most probably never even set foot here!

If satellite companies here want to offer it here, like they offer several other Fox stations, they will. Though I don't see the appeal. As Conker so brilliantly said, we hear enough about shootings on the American news outlets we already have (including Fox)! Why should we have to be exposed to it 24/7? No one would watch it! It would just be a waste of broadcast space. It's got nothing to do with "government censorship." That's ridiculous.

Absolutely Vile

Written By: resinchaser on 05/17/04 at 1:20 pm

It is a form of censorship. But they won't fine you just for watching FOX News, they'll fine you if you have an illegal satellite hook up.

Written By: Fred on 05/17/04 at 6:31 pm

:\'(

Written By: conker on 05/18/04 at 6:16 am

I did a search on the CRTC website (Canada's version of the FCC)  There have been applications to broadcast Fox News on digital cable (extra charge) and it was approved in prinicple.  Funny thing was Fox Sports was also approved at the same time and it's on air here...maybe we care more about European football scores than a 'fair and balanced' view of the world.
Part of the CRTC mandate is to promote Canadian product first so if Canwest Global (the approved applicant) packages Fox News with some Canadian content or another Canadian based channel they can go ahead....same for HBO, Showtime etc. these channels are still not available either.

There's no fines involved, no censorship just a Canada first attitude and bad timing by Fox and Global...a few of years earlier and they'd be in and CNN would be waiting to get in.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 04/03/05 at 1:09 am

Us lucky people over here (New Zealand) have just gotten this channel... great stuff  ;D ;D - Perfect late night viewing

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/03/05 at 1:14 am

GWB..did you delete your account or something?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/03/05 at 1:14 am

Us lucky people over here (New Zealand) have just gotten this channel... great stuff  ;D ;D - Perfect late night viewing

What's this old thread doing back up?  It's been about a year.  Well, much has changed.  FNC is available in Canada...my condolences, Canucks.

From this threads debut posting
First of all, lets get this out of the way:  Yes, FOX News is right-leaning.  Thats no question.  But, they do provide a different perspective on things, and at times it is refreshing.
If you consider mendacity, fascist propaganda, and theocratic hate-mongering a refreshing perspective!  I find it bleedin' 'orror-show myself!
:P

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/03/05 at 1:18 am

???

Yeah, I posted the quote with no comment by accident, that's all.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/03/05 at 7:30 am

An update about Fox News in Canada.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2004/11/18/fox_crtc041118.html

Written By: GWBush2004 on 04/03/05 at 7:47 am

GWB..did you delete your account or something?

I don't know.

An update about Fox News in Canada.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2004/11/18/fox_crtc041118.html

Yes, Canada has gotten Fox News since this thread was started.  I don't know how well it's doing, but Canada now has it.

Written By: Satish on 04/03/05 at 11:43 am

Well, Fox News has been made available in Canada since this thread started. The reason it wasn't before wasn't because of censorship, it's just that the Canadian government wants to protect the domestic media industry. MSNBC didn't come to Canada until 2001, and many other US channels like HBO, the Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon, Comedy Central and the Sci Fi Channel aren't available in Canada at all. Canadian radio stations also have a requirement that 30% of the music they play must be made in Canada. It's just protectionism.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/03/05 at 11:52 am

Well, Fox News has been made available in Canada since this thread started. The reason it wasn't before wasn't because of censorship, it's just that the Canadian government wants to protect the domestic media industry. MSNBC didn't come to Canada until 2001, and many other US channels like HBO, the Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon, Comedy Central and the Sci Fi Channel aren't available in Canada at all. Canadian radio stations also have a requirement that 30% of the music they play must be made in Canada. It's just protectionism.

Actually... it's mostly the CRTC, our version of the FCC.... Or as I and some of my friends call it Can't Reconize True Canadian Content.  ::)

Written By: McDonald on 04/05/05 at 1:53 pm

Anyone remember the Canadian 80s group KanKon? The name was a reference to the Canadian Content laws in Canada, which probably allowed them to secure a fanbase in the first place.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/05/05 at 2:26 pm

Anyone remember the Canadian 80s group KanKon? The name was a reference to the Canadian Content laws in Canada, which probably allowed them to secure a fanbase in the first place.

Yeah, I remember them, one of their songs was "Henry Houndini".  They were a pretty good band.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 04/07/05 at 7:34 am

Fox should only be viewed for comical values.  ;D

Stick with the comedies (Arr. Dev. etc) and cartoons (Family Guy), please.

Check for new replies or respond here...