» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Guns 'n Abortions

Written By: AL-B on 05/14/04 at 6:15 pm

This board has become way too politicized in the last several days. And, I confess, I am guilty of jumping into the fray. However, I did not join this board to argue politics...I joined this board because I enjoy having friendly discussions about popular culture and sharing funny stories.  There is nothing wrong with discussing politics in a civil manner but lately some of the discussions have become rather heated and I don't think this is the place for that. Let's try to keep it friendly.

Subject: Re: Guns 'n Abortions

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/14/04 at 6:42 pm

Point taken, Al.  I'm used to this other board I'm on, which constant duking it out!  I don't want others to feel alienated from these boards because of rampant vitriol.

Written By: Vapor Trails on 05/14/04 at 6:52 pm

I try to avoid political and religious discussions on line. It seems to lead to name calling and ill feelings. I have convictions and I'll stick to them by my voting record and how I live my life but also I respect (at least really try!) other peoples opinions.

Written By: 80sRocked on 05/14/04 at 7:02 pm

I admit I am a sucker for political debates, but honestly, I think this board would be better off without it.

As hard as I tried to stay out of it, when I see something on here I don't agree with on politics, I can't let it go without saying my piece. :)

I was actually hesitant to joining this new board after the old one was closed, simply because I was tired of arguing politics.  If you think about it, arguing politics with someone is virtually pointless.  Its not going to change their point of view, nor will it change yours.

But, it seems this board has become political, once again.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/14/04 at 7:12 pm

I admit that I do like the political/religious debates but I don't like people who get personal with the debates. It is ok to disagree with someone but it is not ok to call that person names just because they have a different opinion.

I have found that MOST people on this board do keep these debates civil. But there is always one or two who have to get nasty. I am sure it is because those few that most people on this board don't want to deal with them. I think if these debates are kept civil, they can be fun and very informitive.

Cat

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/14/04 at 7:28 pm

I admit I am a sucker for political debates, but honestly, I think this board would be better off without it.

As hard as I tried to stay out of it, when I see something on here I don't agree with on politics, I can't let it go without saying my piece. :)

I was actually hesitant to joining this new board after the old one was closed, simply because I was tired of arguing politics.  If you think about it, arguing politics with someone is virtually pointless.  Its not going to change their point of view, nor will it change yours.

But, it seems this board has become political, once again.
I am GUILTY of that as well :-\\

Written By: Hairspray on 05/14/04 at 8:23 pm

I'm watching. I have been removing offensive posts and have warned where warnings were needed. I don't have to warn, mind you. I'm just that nice.  ;)

I haven't had to remove an entire thread as of yet, but if it does become necessary, you bet I'll remove it in a heartbeat. Cat's right to say most people do keep it civil, however. So it's all good for now.

Now, if we could get the one or two to stop personalizing responses and stop the name-calling, we'd be golden.

We may see a banning on the horizon if this doesn't change...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/14/04 at 8:33 pm

80sRocked wrote:
Dale Carnegie used to say, "the only way to win an argument is not to have it."  In other words, when the object is to best the other guys premise, there's too much pride involved for one party to concede.  Even if you "win" with logic, you won't win in spirit.
This is different from debating in a friendly way where you're actually trying to learn something.

A certain person on this board was PROVOKING vitriolic arguments, but then got mad at me when I challenged him.  I suppose I should have ignored him altogether.

Max

Written By: Hairspray on 05/14/04 at 8:34 pm

I admit that I do like the political/religious debates but I don't like people who get personal with the debates. It is ok to disagree with someone but it is not ok to call that person names just because they have a different opinion.

I have found that MOST people on this board do keep these debates civil. But there is always one or two who have to get nasty. I am sure it is because those few that most people on this board don't want to deal with them. I think if these debates are kept civil, they can be fun and very informitive.

Cat

Some political debating/discussion is good. It brings a bit of edge to the forum. It's just a matter of having enough sense to show proper decorum and follow the forum rules.

In these political debates/discussions it's mostly a matter of respecting one another's opinions and directing your responses to the subject, not the person. Generalize your response and do not get personal, name-call or use profanity.

Written By: Hairspray on 05/14/04 at 9:06 pm

One more thing:

Remember the "Report to Moderator" link folks! ;) It's not there for decorative purposes. :)

Written By: pennsygirl on 05/17/04 at 7:08 am

You are all so right.  I have been guilty of getting a bit worked up on some topics when I really shouldn't.  We all have a right to our opinion and should be able to share it without name calling or other abuse.

Written By: Bobby on 05/18/04 at 4:31 am

Yeah. It's all about having a debate with reason rather than rage. There's nothing wrong with debating stuff as we learn from each other that way.  :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/18/04 at 11:10 pm

Yeah. It's all about having a debate with reason rather than rage. There's nothing wrong with debating stuff as we learn from each other that way.  :)
;)

Written By: philbo on 05/19/04 at 9:41 am

Must admit I do enjoy on-line debate and argument - life would be so boring if we all held the same views; I've even been argued around to a different viewpoint on occasion...

Written By: Bobby on 05/19/04 at 7:02 pm

Must admit I do enjoy on-line debate and argument - life would be so boring if we all held the same views; I've even been argued around to a different viewpoint on occasion...

So have I, Philbo. The gun discussion I had with Claude Prez a few months back. It's great because we kept the whole thing civil.  :)

Written By: Dagwood on 05/19/04 at 7:41 pm

One more thing:

Remember the "Report to Moderator" link folks! ;) It's not there for decorative purposes. :)

But, it's so purty! ;)

I don't mind the political discussion.  It does get old but then I just avoid the threads til I calm down. 

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/19/04 at 11:45 pm

But, it's so purty! ;)

I don't mind the political discussion.  It does get old but then I just avoid the threads til I calm down. 
Same here, Dagney....although I tend to stick around longer than I should ::)

Written By: hotnerd7 on 05/24/04 at 1:08 pm

i think that its cool that not only can you discuss pop culture, but you can discuss politics as well.  Its really cool just to discover others point of veiw and have civil arguments.  I wouldn't have this board any other way.  No matter what my mood is, i can find something interesting.  It makes it more intelligent too, to have politics as well as pop culture. 

Check for new replies or respond here...