» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Tillman still hero? Just asking?

Written By: saver on 06/01/04 at 11:11 pm

After the most recent news that soldier Tillman,declared a hero in the Iraq war, was quite possibly found killed by friendly fire,...does the label "Hero" still stick with all the others who were killed by mines and the like?

The minute news broke he died, I couldn't count all the stories calling hima hero giving his life for America...

I care for them all....but HERO TILLMAN??
Stand in line,please.

Just asking what chaters think too?

Subject: Re: Tillman still hero? Just asking?

Written By: hoogbest on 06/01/04 at 11:14 pm

You should be ashamed of yourself for asking.....you think too much.  I notice you're not in Iraq. >:(

Written By: Rice_Cube on 06/01/04 at 11:20 pm

After the most recent news that soldier Tillman,declared a hero in the Iraq war, was quite possibly found killed by friendly fire,...does the label "Hero" still stick with all the others who were killed by mines and the like?

The minute news broke he died, I couldn't count all the stories calling hima hero giving his life for America...

I care for them all....but HERO TILLMAN??
Stand in line,please.

Just asking what chaters think too?

I think everyone who has served in war is a hero.  Friendly fire happens.  It doesn't diminish from the fact that Tillman sacrificed to serve his country.

What's a "chater"?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/01/04 at 11:34 pm

I think everyone who has served in war is a hero.  Friendly fire happens.  It doesn't diminish from the fact that Tillman sacrificed to serve his country.

What's a "chater"?

Tea for the Tillman

Written By: 80sRocked on 06/01/04 at 11:43 pm

...and thats what he did.  He gave his life fighting for what he believed in.

He left a multi-million dollar job to fight in a war where the possibility of death is present 24/7.

If thats not a hero, I don't know what is.

Written By: saver on 06/02/04 at 12:07 am

You should be ashamed of yourself for asking.....you think too much.  I notice you're not in Iraq. >:(

I know I think too much...but I should have no shame to ask a question when I clearly cheered all in the war..the point was they ALL are heroes, just didn't get to see ALL of the heroes of war being celebrated...on his giving up his career, many have..good for his choice...I am NOT in Iraq ,I support those there but I WOULDN'T go there..afraid?...I think evil is always something to fear....hope those with guts more than me dig out the rot and eliminate it(something like 200,000 Alkaidas out there?)
When the killer(s) of Daniel Pearl were never captured, I reserve my hopes for Nick B. killers to be done away with.. 

* (chaters was an error) meant "chatters" online....
GO USA!

Written By: Rice_Cube on 06/02/04 at 12:09 am

I think I understand what you're saying.  The reason Tillman was put on a pedestal was because of his high profile, that's all.  That doesn't mean everyone else isn't a hero, it's just that his story was more "unique".

Written By: saver on 06/02/04 at 1:34 am

Thanks for sifting through my concern: it was because he was high profile.

:\'(  carry on brothers and sisters....

(this may have put the cap on the discussion)

s

Written By: Dagwood on 06/02/04 at 7:21 am

Tilman wasn't in Iraq, he was in Afghanistan.

I still think he was a hero.  He gave up what he had at home to go fight for something he believed in.  He died because he believed he needed to fight for the US.  In my opinion that makes him a hero, as are all the other soldiers that have died in these conflicts friendly fire or not.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/02/04 at 8:16 am

I know I think too much...but I should have no shame to ask a question when I clearly cheered all in the war..the point was they ALL are heroes, just didn't get to see ALL of the heroes of war being celebrated...on his giving up his career, many have..good for his choice...I am NOT in Iraq ,I support those there but I WOULDN'T go there..afraid?...I think evil is always something to fear....hope those with guts more than me dig out the rot and eliminate it(something like 200,000 Alkaidas out there?)

When the killer(s) of Daniel Pearl were never captured, I reserve my hopes for Nick B. killers to be done away with.. 

* (chaters was an error) meant "chatters" online....
GO USA!

All public efforts (like a war) need some "role models" or "examples" to stand out, and to serve as a rallying point for people to think about things.  WW1 had Sargeant York.  WW2 had Audie Murphy.

In this case, Tillman fit the bill.  He was a guy who could have earned millions playing ball, but instead chose to serve his country.  Because of his fame and his choice, he made an excellent "poster child" if you will.  My guess is that most servicemen and women see him as this, and that they have no problem with it, and are as proud of him as they are of their other comrades.

Now as for Daniel Pearl, I do not see him in the same league as Tillman.  Pearl decided to thrill-seek and get himself associated (via his journalism) with terrorist circles and it got him killed.  I am by no means anti-semitic, but a Jew who goes story-hopping for Moslem terrorists, tracking down terrorists for the story in Pakistan is either stupid, a thrill seeker, or a mercenary.  That's like a Moslem trying to infiltrate the Mossad.

Pearl died in search of fame and "the story".  Berg died in search of thrills and making money for his business.  Tillman died in selfless service to his country, in spite of other options that could have brought him fame and fortune.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/02/04 at 10:11 am

All public efforts (like a war) need some "role models" or "examples" to stand out, and to serve as a rallying point for people to think about things.  WW1 had Sargeant York.  WW2 had Audie Murphy.

York was also used to build patriotism in WWII in the 1941 movie "Sergeant York."  Based on the real Sgt. York's war diaries, this film starring Gary Cooper is where most people heard of him.

Written By: Cheetara on 06/02/04 at 10:43 am

I commend Tillman for wanting to help and make such a huge sacrifice.  He was a person who didn't just talk...he DID something about it.  So he joined the armed forces. 

My heart goes out to his family.  :\'(

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/02/04 at 11:03 am

I think anyone who puts thier life in danger doing something that they believe in is a hero. My son took a bullet to save a life, so as far as I'm concerned he is also a hero....

Written By: Cheetara on 06/02/04 at 11:13 am

I think anyone who puts thier life in danger doing something that they believe in is a hero. My son took a bullet to save a life, so as far as I'm concerned he is also a hero....

@RockandRollFan:  My deepest sympathy/my heart goes out to you.  Wow.  :\'(

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/02/04 at 11:21 am

@RockandRollFan:  My deepest sympathy/my heart goes out to you.  Wow.  :\'(
Thanks Cheetara, I appreciate that ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/02/04 at 2:55 pm

I say "yes", as are all the other soldiers.  IMO, it doesn't matter if they've given their life or not.  Just the fact that they are risking their lives is enough for me. 

As far as the question being asked in the first place...as far as I know, NONE of us on the board are over there.  Why should saver be ashamed to ask in the first place?

The pharse "sacred cow" comes to mind.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/02/04 at 3:26 pm

I'll add an additional $0.02 to this whole discussion.

I see Tillman as a hero because he did what very few other people would have done:  Turned down millions of dollars and "football fame" to serve his country risking his life.

But...

These days the term "hero" has been abused and over-used.  If an off-duty policeman is run over by a car while he's out getting a burger, people call him a "hero".

But that is not being a hero.  It's being a guy who got run over by a car.  Heroism involves doing something above-and-beyond the call of duty.  Doing something that the "average person" feels that the "average person" would not do out of fear.

When people use this tired "You're all heroes!" drivel, they devalue the true herocis of those who go above and beyond the call of duty, the true "heroes".

People who do their job well, like good policemen, firemen, and whatnot, are probably great "role models".  But to call all of them "heroes" is to devalue true heroism.

That is why not every soldier gets a medal.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/02/04 at 3:33 pm

I'll add an additional $0.02 to this whole discussion.

I see Tillman as a hero because he did what very few other people would have done:  Turned down millions of dollars and "football fame" to serve his country risking his life.

But...

These days the term "hero" has been abused and over-used.  If an off-duty policeman is run over by a car while he's out getting a burger, people call him a "hero".

But that is not being a hero.  It's being a guy who got run over by a car.  Heroism involves doing something above-and-beyond the call of duty.  Doing something that the "average person" feels that the "average person" would not do out of fear.

When people use this tired "You're all heroes!" drivel, they devalue the true herocis of those who go above and beyond the call of duty, the true "heroes".

People who do their job well, like good policemen, firemen, and whatnot, are probably great "role models".  But to call all of them "heroes" is to devalue true heroism.

That is why not every soldier gets a medal.
I consider my son a hero because he had the choice of putting Jennifer in the freezer before him and shielded her from the gunman...he knew the situation was horrid but he still had the feeling he should protect her. I would not have known so much about the details had it not been my ongoing friendship with Jennifer and her mother. It was quite some time before Jennifer was even able to talk about this...people were calling her and saying SHE should've been the one that was killed intead....people can be VERY cruel....anyway, after a couple of suicide attempts she is much better.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/02/04 at 4:52 pm

I consider my son a hero because he had the choice of putting Jennifer in the freezer before him and shielded her from the gunman...he knew the situation was horrid but he still had the feeling he should protect her. I would not have known so much about the details had it not been my ongoing friendship with Jennifer and her mother. It was quite some time before Jennifer was even able to talk about this...people were calling her and saying SHE should've been the one that was killed intead....people can be VERY cruel....anyway, after a couple of suicide attempts she is much better.

Absolutely.  He put himself in the line of fire... a selfless act.... That's what makes a hero.  :)

There are also names for the kind of people who made those phone calls to Jennifer, but decorum prevents me from listing them here.  >:(

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/02/04 at 5:02 pm

Absolutely.  He put himself in the line of fire... a selfless act.... That's what makes a hero.  :)

There are also names for the kind of people who made those phone calls to Jennifer, but decorum prevents me from listing them here.  >:(
Thanks LyricBoy. Those calls subsided about a month after Blaines funeral back in 2001 but she has not been able to hold down a job...she's so scared and scarred. I do what I can for her when I have the chance to see her but sooner or later it's got to come from her. I always tell her that Blaine would be very sad that she isn't getting on with her life :\'(

Check for new replies or respond here...