» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: another American captured- I'm tired...

Written By: saver on 06/13/04 at 11:39 pm

:-\\News has it another American captured by terrorists.
Paul Johnson....his story is he's been working out there for 11 years.wouldn't you think he'd get the message to close up shop or DID HE WANT TO BE THERE?

Okay, if he was unaware they were so close...at the start of these various captures, why didn't the US Govt., for all Americans who chose to remain or had to stay, inject a microchip implant in the event they are taken..we know where they are...OR DID THEY....hmmmmm???? 

Subject: Re: another American captured- I'm tired...

Written By: Powerslave on 06/14/04 at 9:21 pm

You know, it's not always that easy to just shut up shop and leave a place where you've lived and worked for 11 years because of the possibility you might be targeted. I'm sure people don't close down their farms in Kansas each time the wind starts blowing from fear of being killed by a tornado. People often choose to stay put in dangerous places, for a wide variety of reasons. As for the microchip implant idea... Hmmm.

Written By: saver on 06/16/04 at 2:31 am

To shut up a shop or BE KILLED?? Hmmm. what would I do..??

It remind me of those #@#@@** who lived on the mountain where the volcano was ready to erupt and were told.."you know, that thing could explode soon, get your butts off that mountain!"

Well most did and the one guy who said "This is where my home is, I ain't goin' no where!" uh...he is now ASH.

But everyone has their reasons...

Also heard news commentators mention, how we may have to criticize the Saudi protection they supply to our citizens..that's a point.

saver...OUT! 

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 06/16/04 at 8:30 am

It's too simplistic, Saver.

As Powerslave (in part) pointed out, your whole concept of life is based around working to make a future for yourself (and maybe your family).

To simply walk away is very difficult, no matter if the threat is civil unrest or volcano or what have you.  It would be VERY hard to simply give up everything you have worked for, to let someone else effectively take what you leave.

Human nature is that we will go into denial and re-assure ourselves that "it won't happen to us" - and it is a risk that people run and sometimes it doesn't pay off.... :-\\

Written By: PoPCultureGirl on 06/16/04 at 9:53 am

That video of him makes me so sick.  I feel so bad for him & his family :(

Written By: saver on 06/16/04 at 9:51 pm

Just heard on a talk show, there are about 30,000 other Americans in the WAR ZONE....I hope they get the message GET OUT for your own safety!!
I don't want to read about you....

PAIX

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/16/04 at 11:15 pm

If those Saudi b@st@rds kill that guy, the excrement's gonna hit the rotating device!  The American people will demand some kind of action against the Saudis.  The economic and political ramifications of this situation are terrifying!

Written By: Powerslave on 06/17/04 at 12:09 am

If those Saudi b@st@rds kill that guy, the excrement's gonna hit the rotating device!  The American people will demand some kind of action against the Saudis.  The economic and political ramifications of this situation are terrifying!

What kind of action can be taken against Saudi Arabia? Punitative action against the Saudis would cause the majority of the Oil Producing Economic Community to turn off their taps, and the invasion would have to proceed on horseback.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/17/04 at 12:13 am

What kind of action can be taken against Saudi Arabia? Punitative action against the Saudis would cause the majority of the Oil Producing Economic Community to turn off their taps, and the invasion would have to proceed on horseback.

Exactly!  It's like when the 300 pound bully at the bar throws a drink in your girlfriend's face.  "Oh yeah, what are you gonna do about it?
I'll...I'll...I'll...do...s-s-something..."
:-\\

Written By: saver on 06/17/04 at 1:53 am

It's too simplistic, Saver.

As Powerslave (in part) pointed out, your whole concept of life is based around working to make a future for yourself (and maybe your family).

To simply walk away is very difficult, no matter if the threat is civil unrest or volcano or what have you.  It would be VERY hard to simply give up everything you have worked for, to let someone else effectively take what you leave.

simplistic BUT REALISTIC....

I know I would leave if I were alerted to possibly being killed.
That shouldn't be that difficult of decision,
as maybe you built some incredible creation after so many years..,will you be at fault for leaving it behind for saving your life to maybe create more?

I've never seen a hearse with a U-HAUL behind it.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 06/19/04 at 4:41 am

Well it looks like they have done the deed.

http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,9890674%255E401,00.html

Written By: saver on 06/19/04 at 2:13 pm

IT'S OFFICIAL...THEY are lower than excrement and dumber than a maggot when they have been told time after time 'no trades or negotiations'...
talk about FOOLS who keep repeating when told NOTHING will come from
kidnapping and threatening hostages! DUM-DA-DUM-DUM. :D

Written By: Mushroom on 06/23/04 at 11:44 am

You know, it's not always that easy to just shut up shop and leave a place where you've lived and worked for 11 years because of the possibility you might be targeted. I'm sure people don't close down their farms in Kansas each time the wind starts blowing from fear of being killed by a tornado. People often choose to stay put in dangerous places, for a wide variety of reasons. As for the microchip implant idea... Hmmm.

This is so true.  Look at all the Jews that lived in Poland and Germany who did not leave in the 1930's, even though they knew what was comming.

Packing up and leaving is not always easy to do.

Written By: Mushroom on 06/23/04 at 11:45 am

To shut up a shop or BE KILLED?? Hmmm. what would I do..??

It remind me of those #@#@@** who lived on the mountain where the volcano was ready to erupt and were told.."you know, that thing could explode soon, get your butts off that mountain!"

Well most did and the one guy who said "This is where my home is, I ain't goin' no where!" uh...he is now ASH.

But everyone has their reasons...

Also heard news commentators mention, how we may have to criticize the Saudi protection they supply to our citizens..that's a point.

saver...OUT!   

You must be speaking of Harry Trueman, the owner of the Spirit Lake Lodge on the slopes of Mt. St. Hellens.  I remember that well.

In fact, in my yearbook that year, they put in the phrase "Harry Trueman Lives" on the back page. 

Written By: womberty on 06/23/04 at 1:06 pm

Anyone else find this disgusting?

Saudi Arabia offers amnesty to terrorists
http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/06/23/saudi.terrorists/index.html

Terrorists in Saudi Arabia gave a 72-hour deadline before beheading Paul Johnson Jr.
Terrorists in Iraq gave a 24-hour deadline for Kim Sun-il.

What deadline do the terrorists get? A whole month. And if they give themselves up, there's no prosecution?

Now, what was that line from the Bush speech way back when?

"From this day forward, any nation that continues to harbor or support terrorism will be regarded by the United States as a hostile regime."

Wonder how that applies to a nation that harbors ex-terrorists...

Then again, if this call for "repentance" turns into the Muslim version of the Inquisition...

Written By: Mushroom on 06/25/04 at 8:30 pm

The sad thing is, this reminds me so much of the mid 1980's, when terrorism was also out of control.

I remember that hardly a week went by without somebody being kidnapped and/or killed because of terrorists from the Middle East.

Abu Nidal, Youssef Magied al-Molqi, Abu Abbas, and a great many others lead a new wave of terror that had not been seen in a decade.

Leon Klinghoffer was one of the first casualties, but not the last.  Anglican Church Envoy Terry Waite himself was kidnapped and held hostage for almost 4 years.

In 1988, a UN convoy was ambushed, and Marine Corps Lt. Col. William Higgins was kidnapped.  He was held hostage from February 1988 until July 1989.  On July 31, his kidnappers released a videotape of Lt.Col. Higgins hanging.  His body was found later along a roadside where it had been dumped.

http://www.mahk.com/sc1929.htm

What we are seeing now is just a repeat of what happened 15 years ago.  A large resurgence of terror, followed by a harsh response.  The terrorists unable to stage large attacks, resort to small one-man kidnappings, followed often by executions.  These are also good in their eyes, because it uses shock on a more personal level to get their message out.

I just hope that someday this kind of insanity will end.

Written By: saver on 06/25/04 at 10:26 pm

See American outrage topic on the Saudi AMNESTY....(thanks) :(

Written By: Don Carlos on 06/26/04 at 6:05 pm

I have no sympathy for those terrorists that...do what they do, which is to say violate all the laws of the Judeo/Christian/Islamic hgeritage.  I jusdt want to suggest that it isn't that simple, and to suggest that if we continue to rely on military force we will NEVER solve the problem.  Kill Bin Ladin and another leader (Al Zawari -sp-) will take over.  I'm not suggesting mercy for murderers, but a more enlightened, naunced, sophisticated policy.  There has to be a better way !

Check for new replies or respond here...