» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: 9/11 staff report

Written By: Don Carlos on 06/17/04 at 3:37 pm

The Congressionally appointed 9/11 commission, chaired by Republican Tom Kean of New Jersey, has released a staff report that seems to suggest gross mismanegment of both intelligence and the channals of communication in the white house before and during the attacks.  Lots of "missed signals" before, and total lack of communication after 4 airliners went grossly offcourse and stopped radio contact.  So where were our vigelent "chickenhawks" as the alarm bells were sounding?  Thoughts?

Subject: Re: 9/11 staff report

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/17/04 at 3:46 pm

Well, I won't comment on the who-knew-what-when conspiracy theories abounding, but I will say the Administration lied.  The commission found no connection between Saddam and Al Qaeda.  Cheney made the rather useless statement that there is a connection between Iraq and Al Qaeda, just not one to do with 9/11.  Sigh.
::)

Written By: Don Carlos on 06/17/04 at 3:52 pm

Well, I won't comment on the who-knew-what-when conspiracy theories abounding, but I will say the Administration lied.  The commission found no connection between Saddam and Al Qaeda.  Cheney made the rather useless statement that there is a connection between Iraq and Al Qaeda, just not one to do with 9/11.  Sigh.

And I just heard the Bush STILL asserts that "he beieves" there was a connection.  I guess God, or was it Nancy's astrologer, who told him?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/17/04 at 4:00 pm

And I just heard the Bush STILL asserts that "he beieves" there was a connection.  I guess God, or was it Nancy's astrologer, who told him?

What did the Gipper say, "I told you my Administration did not sell arms for hostages, my heart still tells me that is right, but the facts and evidence say it is not."  Something like that.  What one "believes" has no credit when it is disproven by demonstrable facts.  A psychotic will still believe Martians implanted a tracking device in his teeth no matter how many dental X-rays you show him!

Written By: Don Carlos on 06/17/04 at 4:26 pm

What did the Gipper say, "I told you my Administration did not sell arms for hostages, my heart still tells me that is right, but the facts and evidence say it is not."  Something like that.  What one "believes" has no credit when it is disproven by demonstrable facts.  A psychotic will still believe Martians implanted a tracking device in his teeth no matter how many dental X-rays you show him!

Interesting that you bring the Gipper into Lil' Georgie's lapes of...no lack of any rationality (if only they were just lapes).  Go God, this man is not just dangerous, he is a threat to our democracy.  Clearly, Georgie is either absoolutely delusional (not likely) or an outright, unapologetic, bald faced lier. How can his supporters stomach this?  It is beyond me.

Written By: gumbypiz on 06/17/04 at 6:50 pm

It’s not the commission report that bugs me or even surprises me.

I’m dumbfounded that they interviewed Bush with the provision that his testimony to the commission is not available to the public, not written transcripts or otherwise, ever...

Why?

If he and his administration want us really know what happened (so it doesn’t happen again), and they aren’t hiding or ashamed of anything, why not have full disclosure?

Written By: saver on 06/17/04 at 8:05 pm

The commission found no connection between Saddam and Al Qaeda.  Cheney made the rather useless statement that there is a connection between Iraq and Al Qaeda, just not one to do with 9/11.  Sigh.

True! The report-which many newspapers nehglected and news shows tried hinting at was they had no connection whatsoever.

The true report says they found NO CONNECTION ONLY BETWEEN SADDAAM AND 9/11.
But between Saddman and AlQ they think so.

Poor reporters tried to sway people.. but not me! 

Written By: IWannaBeAGoonie on 06/18/04 at 12:44 pm

Well, I can't really say I'm surprised.  I have NEVER thought there was a connection between the two.  I agree Sadaam and his followers were wrong, and he DID deserve to be overthrown, but I really think (and sorry, I may be REALLY unpopular for saying this  :-\\ ) that Bush and his people knew America was so enraged about 9/11 that they knew they would get a fairly high level of support for going after bin Laden and Al Qaeda and going to war with him/them if necessary..but when they couldn't locate them, Bush figured he'd go after another "problem child", and since we weren't completely able to do away with Sadaam before, he just turned around and said "Hey, America...Sadaam was in on 9/11--let's go get HIM!!" 
Sorry, but I think that was the case.  My father said "No, because it was a war on terror, and therefore all terrorists, and Sadaam IS one of those" 
He may be right...but you aren't going to tell me that Bush and his people weren't using our fury over 9/11 to justify it going the direction he wanted to.

I know that even in our little town, the public officials were using 9/11 and the "war on terror" to their "advantage", IMO.  We have had a Navy base here for ages, and the community and the Navy base have always got along "okay."  But, our town was not, IMO, 100% pro-military until it suited them.  Shortly after 9/11 and the start of the "war on terror", our mayor decided to give us the motto of being the "Premiere Military community"..(And just her..not the city council...or the voters..or anyone else, for that matter)..now, if you didn't love them in 2000, why do you love them after 9/11, if not only to make ya'll feel better about yourselves and the fact that we are a community made up of mostly military people?  Ugh.  It just REALLY annoyed me.  But, when we had the chance, she didn't get voted out last November.  Believe me, I tried..  :\'(

Written By: saver on 06/18/04 at 4:46 pm

WRONG WRONG WRONG-I WANNA...

Bush never said Saddam had anything to do with 9/11

But the word came out from PUTIN recently that Russia even KNEW and warned us to watch out for him. He was planning something on our land.

Just keeping it straight.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/18/04 at 5:01 pm

Unfortunately the 9/11 Commission has become yet another political baseball game where people from both parties use it for an opportunity to give the opposing party a "wedgie".

It is shameful that the hearings were conducted in a circus atmosphere where there is a gallery that "boos" and "applauds".  The work of the Commission was supposed to be serious, nonpartisan fact-finding, but instead, most members simply walked the "party line" of their Repub or Dem affiliation.

If I were the Chairman of this commission, the first time I heard a "boo" or "applaud" during testimony, I would issue a warning.  The second time, the applauder/booer would be ejected from the gallery.

Sadly because of this circus atmosphere, the 9/11 Commission report will contain no new information and will say what we already knew:

-Our iintelligence coordination was poor
-Civil responder agencies were not geared up to handle such a catastrophe
-Military air defenses for Mainland USA were not set up to defend against a suicide attack
-Airport security was like a screen door on a submarine (and we knew that for dozens of years)

Our political class needs to grow up and be Americans first, then Dem/Repub second.

Written By: Don Carlos on 06/18/04 at 5:06 pm

Yes, they keep trying to assert that "other than 9/11 Saddam and Al Quida had ties".  Like what? where were the transfer of WMD's, where were the training sites?  Al Quida wanted all of these, but got NOTHING.  So they talked.  Our diplomates talk to Castro on a regular basis, does that make them communists?

This report simply gives the lie to all that Bushwacking b. s. that has been foisted on all of us. 

Written By: saver on 06/18/04 at 5:19 pm

Those that say the Bush info was a lie are off base.

Many of those opposing this were all for it not too long ago..so I point at them first when that comes up.

Maybe U.S. should stop doing business with the countries we disagree with..will the oil rich countries collapse on themselves?

augghhhhhh WAR!   

Written By: Rush on 06/18/04 at 6:02 pm

I saw this a while ago and was wondering if anyone can tell me if any of these points are untrue and why they are not?. They are not my views, but I thought it made interesting reading. 

- The attacks of 9/11 COULD NOT HAVE HAPPENED without the willful failure of the American defense system. In Washington, Air Force pilots demanded to fly but were ordered to stand down.

None of the deaths would have happened without the deliberate unplugging of America's air defenses.

Planes that lose contact with control towers are usually intercepted by fighter jets inside of ten minutes, as the incident with the golfer's plane a few months earlier so clearly demonstrated.

Yet on 9/11, the jetliners that struck New York were allowed to proceed unmolested for more than a half-hour, and the plane that supposedly crashed in Washington was not intercepted for more than an hour and forty minutes after it was widely known that four planes had been hijacked.

- The twin towers could not have collapsed as a result of burning jet fuel. Most of that fuel was consumed on impact. In the south tower, most of the fuel was spilled outside the building. Heat caused by burning jet fuel does not reach temperatures needed to melt steel.

What does stand out as particularly suspicious and still unexplained is that fires raged out of control beneath THREE of the collapsed towers for ONE HUNDRED DAYS, clearly indicating the presence of some kind of substance utilized in the demolition of the structures.

The Twin Towers did not fall because of plane impacts or fires. Most likely explosives were placed on structural supports in the towers (as was done in Oklahoma City), and these controlled implosions snuffed out the lives of three thousand people.

- FBI Director Robert Mueller insisted officials had no idea this kind of attack could happen when in fact the FBI had been investigating the possibility of EXACTLY this kind of attack for almost TEN YEARS.

Numerous previous attempts at using planes as weapons, intimate knowledge of terror plans called Project Bojinka, and knowledge of suspicious characters attending flight schools who were being monitored by the FBI make his utterance a clear lie on its face.

In the weeks before 9/11, the U.S. received warnings from all over the world that an event just like this was about to happen, but FBI investigations into suspected terrorists were suppressed and those warnings were deliberately disregarded.

- The names of the alleged hijackers, all ostensibly Muslims, were released to the public only hours after the attacks, despite Mueller saying we had no knowledge this would happen. This is an impossible twist of logic. If he didn't know of a plan to strike buildings with planes, how would he know the names of the hijackers?

Various artifacts were discovered in strategic places to try to confirm the government's story, but these have all been dismissed as suspicious planting of evidence. Since that time several names on that list have turned up alive and well, living in Arab countries.

Yet no attempt has ever been made to update the list. And why were none of these names on the airlines' passenger lists?

- Much like the invasion of Iraq, the anthrax attacks were designed to deflect attention from unanswered 9/11 questions in the patriotic pandemonium that followed the tragedy.

In addition to making large amounts of money for the president's father and his friends from the hasty sale of inefficient drugs to a panicked populace, the investigation into these killings was abruptly halted when the trail of evidence led straight to the government's door, and has not been reopened.

The anthrax attacks also amped up the climate of fear and deflected attention from the passage of the government's repressive Patriot Act.

- The Patriot Act was presented in the days after the tragedy supposedly as a response to it, yet it was clear that this heinous act, drafted to nullify provisions for freedom in the U.S. Constitution, was put together long before 9/11. In addition, testimony by Rep. Ron Paul (R-Texas) revealed that most members of Congress were compelled to vote for the bill without even reading it.

This was a vote to eliminate the Constitutional Bill of Rights, which has defined American freedom for 200 years, and it was accomplished when legislators voted for the bill without even reading it.

- The invasion of Afghanistan was presented as an attempt to pursue the alleged perpetrators of 9/11, yet it had been discussed for years prior to the tragedy and actually planned in the months before the attacks on New York and Washington.

Statements by Zbigniew Brzezinski and the Republican-written Project for a New American Century have stressed that America needed a formidable enemy to accomplish its aggressive geopolitical aims.

The supposed enemy we attacked in Afghanistan was a diverse group of men from all over the world who were initially recruited, encouraged and supported by the American CIA.

- The hole in the Pentagon was not made by a jumbo jet. Damage to the building was simply not consistent with the size of the hole nor the absence of debris. At the supposed point of impact, a whole bank of windows remained unbroken and there were no marks on the lawn.

No airplane debris (except what was planted on the lawn) nor remains of passengers were ever found.

- The president has admitted that he continued to read a story to schoolchildren in a Florida school for 30 minutes after being informed that two planes had struck New York and that the nation was under attack.. He has never explained this puzzling behavior, nor how he saw the first plane hit.

It was never televised, only recorded by a French crew filming firemen in New York. In that film, the plane in question does not appear to be a passenger airliner.

- The plane in Pennsylvania was shot down and broke apart in midair. No other explanation can account for the wreckage, which was spread over a six-mile area, or the eyewitness accounts that describe debris falling from the sky.

- Cellphone calls cannot be made from airliners in flight that are not close to the ground. As research by Professor A. K. Dewdney has shown, the emotional conversations between hijacked passengers and others would not have been possible under conditions that existed at that moment.

These calls were cynical FABRICATIONS, exploiting the distraught emotions of those who lost loved ones.

- Radio communications from firefighters on the upper floors of the Trade Center towers clearly indicate that fires were under control and the structure was in no danger of collapsing.

- Why was the debris from the collapsed Twin Towers removed from the site with no forensic examination?

Why was almost all of it sold to scrap merchants and shipped abroad where it would not be available for scientific examination?

- Why does the government refuse to release any transcripts of communications or any records at all relating to signals of any form transmitted by those jets?

- Why did so many people, from San Francisco Mayor Willie Brown to many employees of companies in the World Trade Center who failed to come to work that day, know in advance that something bad was going to happen on Sept. 11, 2001?

Written By: Dagwood on 06/18/04 at 6:48 pm

I saw this a while ago and was wondering if anyone can tell me if any of these points are untrue and why they are not?. They are not my views, but I thought it made interesting reading. 

- The twin towers could not have collapsed as a result of burning jet fuel. Most of that fuel was consumed on impact. In the south tower, most of the fuel was spilled outside the building. Heat caused by burning jet fuel does not reach temperatures needed to melt steel.

I don't know for sure, but I heard the main reason the towers collapsed was due the the way they were built, with the open spaces on the floors.  Also, when the first floor collapsed it pancaked on the one below and the momentum took the rest of the building down.

Written By: Don Carlos on 06/19/04 at 6:00 pm

Those that say the Bush info was a lie are off base.

Many of those opposing this were all for it not too long ago..so I point at them first when that comes up.

Maybe U.S. should stop doing business with the countries we disagree with..will the oil rich countries collapse on themselves?

augghhhhhh WAR!   

Lots of Bush's assertion are bald faced lies.  The man doesn't know the difference between a lie and the truth, and when he knows he can get caught, he obfuscates.

Clearly, energy dependant as we are, we have to do business with the likes of Saudi Arabia (by the way, I look forward to Michael Moore's new film), where women are repressed.  And I was never in favor of this war.  Afganistan yes, but this Iraqi think?  What stupidity.  But then, what can you expect from a president who can't read?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/19/04 at 6:10 pm

The Bush Administration beguiled the gullible once again.  They always talked about 9/11 and terrorism in the context of Saddam and Iraq.  Thanks to the right-wing dumbing down of the American media, emotion is favored above analysis.  In order to prevent Iraq erroneously being blamed by the American public for 9/11, Bush would have to state explicitly, and repeatedly, that Iraq was not behind 9/11. 
Dumbya and the boys did not find that distinction necessary unitl this week.  Puhhleeeze!!!

Rush--that's a big list you've got there.  I'll have to read it all carefully!

Written By: saver on 06/19/04 at 9:18 pm

Bush NEVER once is heard saying Iraq had any connection to 9-11.

Just because he hasn't brought it up until now..who believes the media(they have been irresponsible.. agreed), and who heard what from the start?

Saddams sanger...uh, 10 years earlier and many Bush " pointers"/ opponents
were on board to oust Saddam.
Lies?Sorry, can't buy it.

Michael Moore..there's lies for you..he was proven that in his last Columbine movie as he set people up and made people like "fish with a hook in their mouth" believe it and later called it some artistic freedom to add what he wanted. 

Written By: Rush on 06/20/04 at 2:59 am

Thanks everyone so far for helping me with these....

One more question of my own this time.

Was George W. Bush conveniently out of Washington on 9/11 or was it just coincidence?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/20/04 at 9:03 am

Bush NEVER once is heard saying Iraq had any connection to 9-11.

Just because he hasn't brought it up until now..who believes the media(they have been irresponsible.. agreed), and who heard what from the start?

Saddams sanger...uh, 10 years earlier and many Bush " pointers"/ opponents
were on board to oust Saddam.
Lies?Sorry, can't buy it.

Michael Moore..there's lies for you..he was proven that in his last Columbine movie as he set people up and made people like "fish with a hook in their mouth" believe it and later called it some artistic freedom to add what he wanted. 

I have no problem holding Michael Moore to skeptical scrutiny, however, FOX News, the Washington Times, and the rest of the right-wing media fudge the truth daily for ideological gain.  Until the Right holds their own to the same standards, I have no interest in their assessments of Michael Moore.

Written By: saver on 06/20/04 at 12:25 pm

:) I am thankful to have an open mind to news sources and YES, if it was on FOX NEWS, I have a laugh and look elsewhere..

well...time to get on with life..great chatting on this subject.
I've run my course. ;D 

Check for new replies or respond here...