» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: So Now Then - For Those Who Think Pot Should Be Legalized -

Written By: Hairspray on 06/18/04 at 5:00 pm

How Can Pot Be Made Legal, As Alcohol & Cigs? Is It Realistic? Will it happen in our time?

Any and all opinions (within Forum Guidelines, of course) welcome! :)

Subject: Re: So Now Then - For Those Who Think Pot Should Be Legalized -

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/18/04 at 5:06 pm

Here is my pitch:

1. Make all "drugs" legal.  By that I mean weed, heroin, cocaine, ludes, meth, peyote, etc.

2. It can only be sold to those over the age of 21, and only at licensed outlets like a drug store.

3. Users must sign a registration form that lets their medical insurance company "off the hook" if their drug foolishness damages their health.

4. overnment then taxes the sale of the drugs.

This will take all the big money out of the drug trade and thus will eliminate 95% of drug-related crime.  Take the cost savings (no more war on drugs) and the tax income, and fund anti-drug-education.

People who want to kill themselves with drugs are already doing that.  So my proposal only reduces the other collateral social costs of the drug trade.

Written By: Hairspray on 06/18/04 at 5:33 pm

Your pitch is duly noted; however, it's not a response to the set of questions posed in the thread.

How Can Pot Be Made Legal, As Alcohol & Cigs? Is It Realistic? Will it happen in our time?

Written By: GWBush2004 on 06/18/04 at 5:38 pm

I doubt it or any securlar view will happen in our lifetime.  But I with deep regret must agree with ''Why Liberals will win the battle for America.''  Gay marriage legal in every state, drugs legal, strict separation of church and state and all that stuff will be no-doubt a reality in my opinion.  I can only hope I die before I see the day, besides while I do believe it will happen just not anytime soon.  ---Anyway no probably not legal anytime soon.  First will be pot, then possibly other drugs will follow.  The mental thinking is ''more drugs will equal less addicts.''

Written By: Hairspray on 06/18/04 at 5:43 pm

The mental thinking is ''more drugs will equal less addicts.''

That's a broad generalization. While I agree than some people may present that thinking pattern, perhaps you; not everyone thinks that way. I think the logic's a little deeper than that.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/18/04 at 6:07 pm

First of all, I think that there should be more in depth studies on pot. Show that pot truly helps people with glacoma, AIDS, cancer, etc. with very little side effects-as with other synethic meds. Also, do a study to see the effects of long-term use, etc.-just like they have done with tabacco and alcohol. Once these studies show that pot is LESS harmful than these other "vices" that are legal and can even be helpful in some incidents, then maybe Congress will legalize it (or we will have to wait until the "Flower children" of the 60s decide to run for office.) I have NEVER heard of anyone dying for a pot-related death.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/18/04 at 7:39 pm

Marijuana is not in the same class as cocaine, heroin, and LSD.  These drugs present much more immediate hazards to the users.
LyricBoy is suggesting marijuana legalization with numerous restrictions and bureaucratic restraints.  If it is too complicated to get the legal stuff, people will resort to the blackmarket, and you're back to square one.
Legailization is a complicated issue with many pros and cons.  It's another argument we'll never settle on this board!
At the very least, I think we need to insist on decriminalizaton.  Stop arresting pot-smokers, stop putting two-bit grass peddlers in prison.  I think addiction to harder drugs, such as cocaine and heroin, needs to be treated as a medical problem, not a legal problem, and certainly not as a moral problem. 
Needle exchange is a perfect example.  A lot of moralists go on about how providing clean needles to junkies sends a message that drug use is OK.  No one is suggesting hyopdermic needles in vending machines!  Eventually a heroin addict either gets treatment or dies.  If he can get clean needles, then he'll need treatment for heroin addiction.  If he can't get clean needles, then he'll need treatment for heroin addiction, hepatitis, and HIV.

Written By: gumbypiz on 06/18/04 at 7:48 pm

First of all, I think that there should be more in depth studies on pot. Show that pot truly helps people with glacoma, AIDS, cancer, etc. with very little side effects-as with other synethic meds. Also, do a study to see the effects of long-term use, etc.-just like they have done with tabacco and alcohol. Once these studies show that pot is LESS harmful than these other "vices" that are legal and can even be helpful in some incidents, then maybe Congress will legalize it (or we will have to wait until the "Flower children" of the 60s decide to run for office.) I have NEVER heard of anyone dying for a pot-related death.

Cat

Good thoughts on this, but the thing is many studies on pot (US government done many reports) have already been conducted.

Nixon, Carter and Bush administrations have ALREADY had commissions on Marihuana Abuse.
Nixon’s 1972 Commission on Marihuana Abuses states that “Marihuana does not lead to criminal, violent or aggressive behavior. The effects observed suggest that it may be more likely to neutralize aggressive and criminal acts. If its use is to be discouraged, it must be discouraged on grounds other than its role in the commission of criminal or violent acts” and “not known (at this time) to cause any permanent dangers more threatening than tobacco or alcohol.”

So the question is not whether we need studies to find out if or what the effects are, we already know from the AMJ/AMA and many, many past studies and research that marihuana has serious health advantages for those suffering from diseases with or that include severe or chronic pain, and that the overall effects of pot are not as severe or as damaging as alcohol.

The question is why and how have these studies (that most are unaware of or the results of) not been made aware of to the public, and why the powers that be (most recently the Bush administration and the DEA) have almost systematically devised ways to lie and distort the truth that they themselves have known about for more than 30 years about pot.

Don’t misunderstand, anything taken into our bodies has an effect, and pot has bad effects too, as any drug does. For this reason, as with tobacco and alcohol, it should be taxed and regulated if it were to become legal. Keep in mind though, that the Federal Bureau of Mortality statistics state that no deaths have ever been caused by marijuana.

How can it become legal? First and foremost the federal laws and classification of marihuana has to be changed. Surprisingly contrary to the “get big government-off our back” conservative regime’s usual ethic, they have been steadfastly opposed to states rights and the voting public wishes in this matter. The federal government, Bush (Clinton too, surprisingly) and the DEA under Bush’s administration have made it clear that they do not intend on honoring the clear choice of several states to decriminalize pot.

Next there has to be a major change in the DEA and its hierarchy. Realize that the war on drugs mentality is entrenched; even though it has been proved it is un-winnable. It also costs lots of $$$. To make pot legal would really mean a HUGE reduction of funds, jobs and other perks that would not be going this and other agencies if pot were made legal. As long as pot is illegal, the DEA, and other agencies like it will continue to suck down much off our tax dollars and we know they do not want the end of that cash cow to end...

Once we can remove the federal government from this, let the states make their own choices on marijuana. Once legal, tax it, regulate it, give the control of regulating it to the ATF, pass STRICTER laws with stricter fines for selling it without a tax stamp (like tobacco or alcohol), thereby giving the incentive to sell or grow for a black market too risky and unworkable. Once reputable firms start selling it commercially (usually that means at a lower cost to produce and sell), the temptation to sell illegally and the criminal profits that comes from that will be taken out of the picture.

Does America have the ability to do this? Probably not entirely in my lifetime, but we are and have already seen slow changes (state to state) to the laws that govern pot. Eventually they will be changed.

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 06/18/04 at 8:26 pm

2. It can only be sold to those over the age of 21, and only at licensed outlets like a drug store.

>:(  You can buy tobacco cigarettes when you're 18, so why not weed?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/18/04 at 8:30 pm

>:(   You can buy tobacco cigarettes when you're 18, so why not weed?

Funny thing that.  Tobacco 18, alcohol 21.  Alcohol intoxication is stronger, but commercial cigarettes are much, much worse for your health.  Nicotine is more addictive the heroin.  Marijuana, were it legalized, would present a similar issue.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 06/19/04 at 5:47 am

Any and all opinions (within Forum Guidelines, of course) welcome! :)

There is a vast difference between pot and cig&alcohol.  The main thing is pot being banned is generally accepted by society.  Any law that passes much always have some general acceptence by society, we saw what happen with there wasn't a general acceptence when alcohol was banned in the 18th amendment.  But unlike pot, when you ban alcohol and tobacco people would go crazy and demand it back and with all the addicts have a revolt.  World of difference.

Written By: Claude_Prez on 06/19/04 at 6:12 am

There is a vast difference between pot and cig&alcohol.  The main thing is pot being banned is generally accepted by society.  Any law that passes much always have some general acceptence by society, we saw what happen with there wasn't a general acceptence when alcohol was banned in the 18th amendment.   But unlike pot, when you ban alcohol and tobacco people would go crazy and demand it back and with all the addicts have a revolt.  World of difference.

They didn't go crazy; they went underground.  Like our current drug trade.  Are you saying if enough people approve, any law is okay?

Written By: GWBush2004 on 06/19/04 at 6:15 am

They didn't go crazy; they went underground.  Like our current drug trade.  Are you saying if enough people approve, any law is okay?

I'm just saying for any law to be upheld it must be accepted somewhat by the general public.  If 2/3rds of the people starting demanding no more freedom of speech and starting threatning the government it would have no choice.  What law don't you approve of that the majority of the U.S. supports?

Written By: Bobby on 06/19/04 at 9:22 am

>:(   You can buy tobacco cigarettes when you're 18, so why not weed?

I have never taken drugs in my life so please don't laugh at this naive question:

'Is there a big difference between tobacco and weed? Like how it affects you and that.'

Written By: GWBush2004 on 06/19/04 at 9:27 am

I have never taken drugs in my life so please don't laugh at this naive question:

'Is there a big difference between tobacco and weed? Like how it affects you and that.'

I've never touched pot but I do smoke a hell of a lot of tobacco.  From what I know tobacco doesn't ruin your sense of judgement, like you can still drive and smoke tobacco, but not drink alcohol or smoke pot because they ruin your trian of thought.  Pot is supposed to ruin your reaction time, but i'm not 100% sure.  The example i'm used to (from a commercial) where a normal sober clean person will touch a hot stove and instantly take their hand off because they feel the heat, but someone who has smoked pot may take 5,6, or 7 seconds to relize that their hand is burning.

Written By: Bobby on 06/19/04 at 9:38 am

I've never touched pot but I do smoke a hell of a lot of tobacco.  From what I know tobacco doesn't ruin your sense of judgement, like you can still drive and smoke tobacco, but not drink alcohol or smoke pot because they ruin your trian of thought.  Pot is supposed to ruin your reaction time, but i'm not 100% sure.  The example i'm used to (from a commercial) where a normal sober clean person will touch a hot stove and instantly take their hand off because they feel the heat, but someone who has smoked pot may take 5,6, or 7 seconds to relize that their hand is burning.

Thanks for that, GWBush.  :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/19/04 at 2:01 pm

Sounds like GWBush watches too much Dragnet!
Say, if tobacco didn't ruin your sense of judgement, why do you still smoke?

Written By: Don Carlos on 06/19/04 at 3:14 pm

Pot makes you high, hungry, and for some, horny.

As to the question, who knows?  Some staes have already passed "medical marihuana" laws allowing doctors to prescribe it for pain etc.

This big problem with either decriminalizing or leagalizing it is that you can grow it yourself - no taxes, no regs, no middlemen raking in a profit - sounds like a communist conspiracy to me  ::)  ;)  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/19/04 at 3:20 pm

Pot makes you high, hungry, and for some, horny.

As to the question, who knows?  Some staes have already passed "medical marihuana" laws allowing doctors to prescribe it for pain etc.

This big problem with either decriminalizing or leagalizing it is that you can grow it yourself - no taxes, no regs, no middlemen raking in a profit - sounds like a communist conspiracy to me  ::)  ;)  ;D

That is a problem.  Corporations don't like commodities they can't control.  On the other hand, think of all the farmer who would go under once marijuana is legalized.  The high prices it fetches due to its prohibition makes it the second largest cash crop in the U.S., surpassed only by wheat.  Struggling farmers have been subsidizing themselves with pot for decades.

Written By: AstringOfPoloponie on 06/19/04 at 4:08 pm

They probably won't ever be legalized but I wouldn't be surprised if they do. Pot can cause COPD-it's not totally harmless, and can cause harmful behavior , poor judgement which can lead to eventual death. I do agree with the first post which was said to have not been an answer to the posted question...I think all drugs should become legalized.I just don't think I'll see it in my lifetime.At least the money from all the recreational drugs would generate taxes that might be put to constructive use. And elderly people wouldn't be getting knocked over the head  by people  desparate for a high .Prostitution might decrease as well. There's a lot to think about when considering legalizing drugs. If abusers can access their substance of choice easier, there'd be a lot less harmful activity towards uninvolved people  in society.

Written By: Don Carlos on 06/19/04 at 4:17 pm

That is a problem.  Corporations don't like commodities they can't control.  On the other hand, think of all the farmer who would go under once marijuana is legalized.  The high prices it fetches due to its prohibition makes it the second largest cash crop in the U.S., surpassed only by wheat.  Struggling farmers have been subsidizing themselves with pot for decades.

You got that right.  But I'm not much of a gardener, so I might just patronize my local "diversified" farmer, as I do with fresh veggies.  Not that I would buy it now, while its illegal.

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 06/19/04 at 7:19 pm

I have never smoked cigarettes, although I have had a little tobacco in a joint.  Anyway, I'm pretty sure tobacco alone doesn't screw up your reaction time or anything.  Depending on how good the weed your smoking is, it may take you half a minute to realise what's going on, or you may not feel much a difference at all.  I definitely wouldn't recommend smoking and driving.  As for cigarettes, they contain nicotine, which is highly addictive so tobacco smokers are like 2 pack-a-day chain smokers.  Whereas weed is not physiologically addictive so it's not really harmful in that sense.

Written By: Claude_Prez on 06/19/04 at 10:09 pm

I'm just saying for any law to be upheld it must be accepted somewhat by the general public.  If 2/3rds of the people starting demanding no more freedom of speech and starting threatning the government it would have no choice.  What law don't you approve of that the majority of the U.S. supports?

It would be easier to name the laws I do approve of, and easier still to name the principle of government I approve of.  I believe in individual rights, so any law that ignores that principle, relying instead on the whims of the public to gain acceptance--which at this point appears to be most of them--is one of which I would not approve.  Most of my fellow Americans don't see it that way.  They think that things they don't like--whether it be drugs, or guns, or outrageous wealth, or pornography--should be banned, and things they do like--whether it be art, farmers, football stadiums, or big business interests--should be publicly funded.  This means there's no logical limit to the intrusions government can place on us.  This is why some pretty clever guys put together a Constitution a long time ago--to limit government, because they knew that every government by nature is prone to tyranny.  Obviously the majority of the general public is not going to SAY they approve of tyranny, but by allowing intrusions they happen to like, they are unwittingly leaving the door open to the intrusions they don't like.  Technically I doubt I answered your question but this is pretty much what every issue boils down to for me.

Written By: Hairspray on 06/19/04 at 11:23 pm

I take offense to that statement.

No need to take offense to that statement; it wasn't personal and it's an opinion. ;)

Written By: Hairspray on 06/19/04 at 11:27 pm

1) How Can Pot Be Made Legal?

2) Is It Realistic?

3) Will it happen in our time?

Written By: AL-B on 06/19/04 at 11:32 pm

I don't see any reason why it should be illegal for a responsible adult to smoke a joint in the privacy of their home, if he or she desires. (I'd smoke weed myself if I could, but since I hold a CDL and my employer has random drug screens, I don't.) Personally I think that the government's efforts to go after marijuana users is a big waste of time and resources, not to mention billions of our tax dollars. I don't know about how much this affects the rest of the country, but here in the Midwest we are having a major problem with methamphetamine.  I think that we should legalize marijuana and use the savings (and additional revenue generated) to go after meth and other hard drugs. Marijuana use hasn't destroyed anywhere near as many lives and families as meth has. (Or alcohol, for that matter, but I haven't heard anyone here say that we should reinstate Prohibition.)
     Actually I am going to go off on a rant here. This topic perfectly illustrates how liberals and conservatives can be equally stupid. In California, the liberals successfully passed a state law banning all tobacco use in public places, including BARS, which is flat-out RIDICULOUS. Yet these same people also pushed through the legalization of "medicinal marijuana," which IMO is really an attempt to pave the way for unlimited legalization of cannabis.
     Meanwhile the conservatives have been unwavering in their support of this disastrous "war on drugs," which includes a propaganda campaign that tells out-and-out LIES about marijuana. Yet they have also been the staunchest defenders of the tobacco industry and "smokers' rights."  Both sides are being very hypocritical about these issues. I say, if it's legal to smoke one, it should be legal to smoke the other. Simple as that.

Written By: Hairspray on 06/19/04 at 11:43 pm

OK, here's the thing -

Many of these same responses are present in the "Mary Jane" thread. I wish I could get answers and/or guesses to the 3 original questions:

2) Is It Realistic?

My responses to my own questions:

1) Those who approve of its legalization banning together and marching to Washington? The Million "Potheads" March?

I'm thinking of this in terms of people attempting to help the judicial system reverse the decisions making marijuana illegal.

2) If the U.S. government truly is of the people and by the people, then I truly believe there is a real possibility that if enough people spoke in favor, if it was really wanted by a great majority, then it's realistic to think legalization could happen.

3) I believe it could very-well happen in our lifetime.

Written By: Hairspray on 06/19/04 at 11:45 pm

1)  Take some of the $$ that is being spent on drug enforcement and start licensing growers and dealers.  Get one of the tobacco companies to start processing/packaging it and sell it just as you would tobacco/alcohol.  There already should be an abudance of MJ in police lockers all across the county, so start with that first.  Start a campaign (much like the tobacco industry and it's opponents are doing) outlining the dangers of smoking marijuana.

2)  My plan might not be, but yes, I believe that our government could realistically legalize and control it.

3)  I would like to think it will happen in my lifetime, but I'm not so sure.  As long as conservatives are in office, I don't see it happening.

Thank You!!! :D

Written By: Claude_Prez on 06/20/04 at 12:19 am

2) Is It Realistic?

I think the answer to all three questions is that there are still a lot of old people voting who didn't grow up during or after the sixties, never tried pot, are scared of it, and would never ever consider legalizing it.  Once all those old fuddy-duddies croak, it will happen on its own.  Again, rights or no rights, people ban what they don't like.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 06/20/04 at 11:54 am

I think the answer to all three questions is that there are still a lot of old people voting who didn't grow up during or after the sixties, never tried pot, are scared of it, and would never ever consider legalizing it.  Once all those old fuddy-duddies croak, it will happen on its own.  Again, rights or no rights, people ban what they don't like.

That is simply not true.  I personally think pot will not be unbanned anytime in the next 96 years.  Every new generation there are plenty of new people who hate pot to keep it banned.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/20/04 at 12:29 pm

That is simply not true.  I personally think pot will not be unbanned anytime in the next 96 years.  Every new generation there are plenty of new people who hate pot to keep it banned.

There's still a disinformation campaign against marijuana. This is handed down from one generation to the next.  I think young people should be advised against smoking pot, but the idea that it's so dangerous it merits a bottomless amount of law enforcement dollars is ludicrous.

As I said before, it's prohibitio may be the greatest subsidy pot farmers could ask for.  Tobacco farmer still receive government subsidies.  Then, at the consumer end, the government makes more than its money back through taxes.  Actually, I don't know how much cigarette tax is federal versus state.  Anyway...

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 06/20/04 at 1:52 pm

Well, as someone who smokes, I take offense to that statement.  I've never smoked EVEN CLOSE to a SINGLE pack a day, nor do I chain smoke.  AT MOST, I smoke 7 cigarettes in an entire day (and that's usually only if I've been drinking), but on average it's 3-4.

Sorry, meant to put likely to become...  but like hairspray said, it wasn't personal so please don't take offense  :-\\

Written By: philbo on 06/20/04 at 3:15 pm

2) Is It Realistic?

1. Maybe by a huge campaign of civil disobedience: everybody growing their own, openly - hundreds of thousands (even millions) of normal people whose only "crime" is to have a few marijuana plants in their back garden.

2. In the above scenario, possibly not: you have to think about the odds on a pro-weed president (or PM over here) getting elected - it seems strange given the size of the minority in favour of legalisation (in many polls, depending on how the question is asked, there's a majority in favour) that nobody's even tried using it as a vote-winner

3. I hope so.  It's such a stupendous waste of government/court/police time and money... that's our money.

Written By: Chrisrj on 06/21/04 at 9:11 pm

Of course, this is all only my opinion.  But I don't think any drugs should be legal, as they only lead to addiction and health problems(I know, it sounds like the same stuff you've heard all the time, but think about it yourselves).  Besides, they bother people who don't choose to do them, especially 2nd hand smoke.  In fact, 2nd hand smoke gives me a headache sometimes. 

I don't get why something that does harm is made legal or even considered 'cool'.  It all stinks and makes people uglier overtime(beer bellies and wrinkles?).  What makes poeple want to do them in the first place? 

Besides, I just don't see any practical use for them.

Again this is all just my opinion. 

Written By: GWBush2004 on 06/22/04 at 8:06 am

At the very least, I think we need to insist on decriminalizaton.  Stop arresting pot-smokers, stop putting two-bit grass peddlers in prison.  I think addiction to harder drugs, such as cocaine and heroin, needs to be treated as a medical problem, not a legal problem, and certainly not as a moral problem. 

What!?  So you're thinking if people aren't afraid of jail they will carry it less.  I have never touched pot and never will, but if I did and it was decriminalized I would personally be a lot less afraid to get caught.

Written By: philbo on 06/22/04 at 8:30 am

So you're thinking if people aren't afraid of jail they will carry it less.  I have never touched pot and never will, but if I did and it was decriminalized I would personally be a lot less afraid to get caught.

What's that got to do with anything?  That's not what Maxwell has been saying: not that decriminalisation will decrease usage, but that it will stop us wasting inordinate amounts of money policing something that isn't as harmful as certain legal substances.

I don't get why something that does harm is made legal or even considered 'cool'.  It all stinks and makes people uglier overtime(beer bellies and wrinkles?).  What makes poeple want to do them in the first place? 

Nothing against your opinion, Chris, but... OK, you don't like them... yes, they do harm to the people taking them.  But that doesn't mean that you should ban all people from using them at all.  Your choice: leave 'em alone, and good for you.  But why should someone else have the right to stop me from doing something that isn't harming anybody else?

Written By: Hairspray on 06/22/04 at 10:14 pm

1.  Legislators would have to take the initiative to review the existing ban, come to the conclusion that the ban should be lifted, determine whether and how the substance, once legal, should be controlled and enact legislation to reclassify it, accordingly.

2.  Yes.

3.  Sadly, no.  I think legislators are too lazy, that the majority of the constituents would prefer that their time and energy be spent on new legislation, not rewriting old legislation and that the very vocal anti-smoking lobby's efforts to outlaw tobacco cigarettes will give legislators reason to fear for the viability of their careers, should they take part in legalizing a mind-altering cigarette.  I also don't think it will happen until well after industrial hemp has been legalized and it's not looking like we'll see that any time soon.  It is not possible to get high from that hemp plant and there is absolutely no legitimate reason for that plant to be banned.  The argument that it looks a lot like cannibus hemp doesn't wash -- we wouldn't condone throwing a guy in prison for Lincoln's assassination just because he bears an uncanny resemblance to an old photo of John Wilkes Booth.    I do think it's possible I'll live to see the legalization of industrial hemp, but as pertains to cannibus hemp, at most, I figure I may live to see a time when the ban still exists on paper, but not in practice.  It's a shame, that plant could be bringing in money and creating jobs instead of hijacking resources that could be better spent elsewhere.  (For the record, I've never tried pot and I have no interest in ever trying it... so, it's not just "pot heads" who want it legalized.)

Thank you for your eloquent response.

Written By: philbo on 06/23/04 at 4:14 am

(For the record, I've never tried pot and I have no interest in ever trying it... so, it's not just "pot heads" who want it legalized.)

I've tried it, but even at peak consumption fifteen or so years ago would never have been classified as a pothead.  My main argument comes from being a taxpayer rather than a toker: it's MY money that's being thrown away for no particular good.  Plus the argument in principle (which Claude puts better than I do)

Written By: Hairspray on 06/23/04 at 3:58 pm

My main argument comes from being a taxpayer rather than a toker: it's MY money that's being thrown away for no particular good.  Plus the argument in principle (which Claude puts better than I do)
Agreed.

It seems to me people could and should lead massive campaigns across the board and actually be heard, especially during elections. Has that been done already? If so, then the campaigns need to be more effective.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/08/04 at 3:30 am

Of course, this is all only my opinion.  But I don't think any drugs should be legal, as they only lead to addiction and health problems(I know, it sounds like the same stuff you've heard all the time, but think about it yourselves).  Besides, they bother people who don't choose to do them, especially 2nd hand smoke.  In fact, 2nd hand smoke gives me a headache sometimes. 

I know people who started out smoking weed,got tired of that,then tried harder drugs...they ended up dead. And I've heard pot has more carcinogens and other bad stuff than cigarettes...plus I inherited COPD from my family....why would anyone in their right mind want to be short of breath all the time?Which is what happens to smokers!

Check for new replies or respond here...