» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Crazy Senator Hatch sponsoring anti-piracy bill

Written By: Junior on 06/19/04 at 12:57 pm

http://news.com.com/Antipiracy+bill+targets+technology/2100-1028_3-5238140.html?part=rss&tag=5238140&subj=news.1028.20

This proposal is ridiculous. Senator Hatch is trying to turn a civil law into a criminal offense. Then again, this is from the guy who suggested that "copyright holders should be allowed to remotely destroy the computers of music pirates."  ::) ??? :o

By this law and logic, CD burners, VCRs, camcorders, copiers, fax machines, and more could all be considered illegal.

Meanwhile, I personally think our copyright laws should be reevaulated. On Fark.com, someone made a good suggestion: "We need to get copyright legislated back down to around 20 years, renewable by the original artist only at that point, and only renewable until that artist's death."

Subject: Re: Crazy Senator Hatch sponsoring anti-piracy bill

Written By: womberty on 06/19/04 at 1:16 pm

The Constitution gives Congress the ability to establish copyright laws, in the same section where it gives Congress the power to punish conterfeit and piracy (on the high Seas, not on the internet ;) ). What makes you think it is an area of civil law rather than a criminal one?

That said, Hatch's proposal probably is going too far. I mean, VCRs and CD burners can be used for unlawful purposes, but they can also be used for lawful purposes, like copying your own material for sale or for distributing to friends.

This is one of those areas where criminal behavior should be punished, but cannot be reasonably prevented by eliminating access to the technology. It's unfair to law-abiding citizens.

And yeah, we probably need some copyright reform - though in some cases, I'd rather see an original work protected than released to the public domain letting people create crap like The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. :P

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/19/04 at 1:44 pm

Hatch is a nincompoop.  Crazy old man.  Can you imagine the lawsuits that would spring from such legislation?  We don't even have  clear definition of copyright and intellecutal property.  I've heard some copyright enfrorcement advocates say this very post is copyrighted.  I just haven't registered it yet.  There are extremely liberal interpretations the copyright law, and extremely restrictive interpretations.
If you park your car on my driveway, can I sabotage it?

Written By: Dagwood on 06/19/04 at 6:25 pm

Senator Hatch is an idiot.  I promise I vote against him every election, but the majority of this state are Sheeple and continue to vote for him.  I try, really I do.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/19/04 at 6:51 pm

Senator Hatch is an idiot.  I promise I vote against him every election, but the majority of this state are Sheeple and continue to vote for him.  I try, really I do.

Doesn't he write his own songs?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/19/04 at 6:52 pm

AAAAARRRRR Matey. Just Shiver me timbers.  ;)

Cat

Written By: Dagwood on 06/19/04 at 8:56 pm

Doesn't he write his own songs?

Yes, unfortunately he does.  Trust me...they are incredibly lame.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 06/20/04 at 6:43 pm

Yes, unfortunately he does.  Trust me...they are incredibly lame.
Hatch...the guy's name fits.He sounds like he needs a stay in the psych ward. His idiot idea shoud go 'down the hatch'-TO THE TRASH DUMPSTER!

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 06/20/04 at 6:48 pm

Hatch is a nincompoop.  Crazy old man.  Can you imagine the lawsuits that would spring from such legislation?  We don't even have  clear definition of copyright and intellecutal property.  I've heard some copyright enfrorcement advocates say this very post is copyrighted.  I just haven't registered it yet.  There are extremely liberal interpretations the copyright law, and extremely restrictive interpretations.
If you park your car on my driveway, can I sabotage it?
I guess Mr.Hatch wants to make it impossible for us computer owners to be unable to copy our LEGALLY GOTTEN software in case our PC goes down...I hope his computer goes on the blink....and ERASES everything on his hard drive..and he's made no backup CD's because that would be'PIRACY'!!!

Check for new replies or respond here...