» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: The Right to Vote????

Written By: Don Carlos on 06/28/04 at 2:48 pm

In his 2004 book American Dynasty: Aristocracy, Fortune, and the Politics of Deceit in the House of Bush Kevin Phillips quotes Antonin Scalia as writing, in Dec, 2000 "...the individual citizen has no federal constitutional right to vote for electors for President of the United States unless and until the state legislature chooses a statewide election as a means to implement its power to appoint members of the Electoral College."  Phillips then summarizes additional comments saying "The court then addid that even after giving the choice of electors to the public, a state legislature could take the decision into its own hands." (p 107).  Comments?

Subject: Re: The Right to Vote????

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/28/04 at 5:25 pm

In his 2004 book American Dynasty: Aristocracy, Fortune, and the Politics of Deceit in the House of Bush Kevin Phillips quotes Antonin Scalia as writing, in Dec, 2000 "...the individual citizen has no federal constitutional right to vote for electors for President of the United States unless and until the state legislature chooses a statewide election as a means to implement its power to appoint members of the Electoral College."  Phillips then summarizes additional comments saying "The court then addid that even after giving the choice of electors to the public, a state legislature could take the decision into its own hands." (p 107).  Comments?

What about the 14th Amendment?  Isn't it unconstitutional for the a state to pick and choose which adult citizens shall have the right to vote?  Though the 14th Amendment, say Constitutional scholars, applies the Bill of Rights (Amendments 1 through 10) to the states, I think it's time for a specific "inalienable right to vote" Amendment to the Constitution.  I don't care whether you are a felon, or currently in prison, your right to vote could never be retracted under this amendment!

Written By: Don Carlos on 06/28/04 at 5:45 pm

What about the 14th Amendment?  Isn't it unconstitutional for the a state to pick and choose which adult citizens shall have the right to vote?   Though the 14th Amendment, say Constitutional scholars, applies the Bill of Rights (Amendments 1 through 10) to the states, I think it's time for a specific "inalienable right to vote" Amendment to the Constitution.  I don't care whether you are a felon, or currently in prison, your right to vote could never be retracted under this amendment!

I can't comment, other than to say that I simply report the majority opinion of the U.S. Supreme Court.  Should felons be aloed to vote?  I'm not sure.  Maybe it should depend on the felony.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/28/04 at 6:14 pm

I can't comment, other than to say that I simply report the majority opinion of the U.S. Supreme Court.  Should felons be aloed to vote?  I'm not sure.  Maybe it should depend on the felony.

It depends on society's philosophy of crime and punishment.  If the object of justice is penitence and rehabilitation, felons should be able to vote.  If the object is vengence and banishment, then they shouldn't.  As a liberal, I tend more to believe in the former.
I have great objections to the states, such as Florida, that disenfranchise felons for life.  It's one thing to disenfranchise prisoners, however, once you've served your sentence, under our system, you have paid your debt to society.  Lifelong disenfranchisement sends a message that you are forever a bad person, and your debt can never be fully paid.  The more you send a message to a person that he is excluded, the less likely it is he will be motivated to behave like a responsible citizen.
On a practical level, I see a heck of a lot of racist cynicism in the lifelong disenfranchisement legislation.  
1. Most felonious behavior is born of poverty and despair.
2. Racial minorities are disproportionately poor.
3. If poor, one is more likely to be convicted of a felony with which one is charged.*  
4. Poor people, a disproportionate number of whom are racial minorities, are much more likely to vote Democrat.
5. Democratic politicians are more likely to support social programs, affirmative action, and other legislation beneficial to minorities.
Hence, the racism underlying the policy of states that disenfranchise felons.  Most of these states are in the South.

*Look at O.J. Simpson.  Everybody agrees he's guilty, but he was rich enough to gum up the works with a multi-million dollar defense.  He got off.  On the other hand, prisoner after prisoner has been exonerated from death row due to DNA evidence.  These convicts were generally poor and could not afford adequate defense.

Written By: Dagwood on 06/28/04 at 6:48 pm

I am not trying to start a fight here, but how can the Bush administration be blamed for this?  If this was written in Dec of 2000, Bush was not yet president.  He was sworn in in Jan 2001. 

As for felons voting...I think if they are paying taxes and have paid their debt to society (restitution, off papers, etc) then they should be allowed to vote.

Written By: Bobby on 06/28/04 at 6:51 pm

I am not trying to start a fight here, but how can the Bush administration be blamed for this?  If this was written in Dec of 2000, Bush was not yet president.  He was sworn in in Jan 2001. 

As for felons voting...I think if they are paying taxes and have paid their debt to society (restitution, off papers, etc) then they should be allowed to vote.

I agree. I reckon if these politicans relied on '(ex) criminals' for their vote to get them into power, I'm sure they will waiver that law.  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/28/04 at 7:19 pm

I think that felons, once having paid their "debt to society" should be allowed to vote once again.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/28/04 at 7:24 pm

No one's blaming the Bush Administration for the Supreme Court decision.  Bush himself did bring the suit Bush v. Gore, but the Supreme Court is responsible their corrupt, partisan decision.

Paying taxes is not a requirement for suffrage.

Written By: Dagwood on 06/28/04 at 7:45 pm

No it isn't but everyone pays taxes and is affected by them.  Those we elect are the ones who decide on rates, what gets taxed, etc. (including all taxes in this...sales, etc)

Written By: Mushroom on 06/28/04 at 10:29 pm

I think that felons, once having paid their "debt to society" should be allowed to vote once again.

Actually, loss of some constitutional rights is part of the punishment a convicted Felon has to deal with.  They are also ineligable to enter the Military (without special waivers), future registration if their crime is of a sexual nature, the prohibition of owning a firearm (in itself another Constitutional Right), the right to assemble (with other known felons), even the loss of the right to work for many local, county, state, and federal jobs.

The "Right To Vote" in my belief is both a right, and a responsibility.  If somebody does not vote (and last I heard less then half the people do), in my opinion they are throwing away their right to complain if the Government does something they do not like.  In the same way, if they commit a Felony, they loose this right, because they are not good citizens.

Of course, if you are the President's Brother, you can always ask for a Presidential Pardon, and get those rights back.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/28/04 at 10:50 pm

Actually, loss of some constitutional rights is part of the punishment a convicted Felon has to deal with.  They are also ineligable to enter the Military (without special waivers), future registration if their crime is of a sexual nature, the prohibition of owning a firearm (in itself another Constitutional Right), the right to assemble (with other known felons), even the loss of the right to work for many local, county, state, and federal jobs.

The "Right To Vote" in my belief is both a right, and a responsibility.  If somebody does not vote (and last I heard less then half the people do), in my opinion they are throwing away their right to complain if the Government does something they do not like.  In the same way, if they commit a Felony, they loose this right, because they are not good citizens.

Of course, if you are the President's Brother, you can always ask for a Presidential Pardon, and get those rights back.

If you robbed a 7-11 with a gun, I don't have a problem with you forfeiting your rights to own firearms. I don't see why you should lose the rigth to vote forever.  That seems unnecessarily punitive.  I'm also against it practically and philosophically for the reasons I stated in my previous post.  If you were not a good citizen once, do we say you can never be a good citizen again?  Com on!

I know of a certain President's brother who ought to be in Leavenworth with a big guy named Bubba and begging the President for a pardon.
Hint: he's not a piece of Arkansas trash named Roger.

Written By: philbo on 06/29/04 at 4:51 am

Very true, but paying taxes *without* being allowed to vote... didn't that cause a bit of a fracas a bit over a couple of hundred years ago?

What was even worse about the Florida "felon" list is that people of the same name were excluded from voting, with no additional evidence supplied to prove the identity of the person being excluded.  Now *that* to me sounds like it ought to be a criminal offence (it certainly would be here).

I'm sure some Republican is going to reply to this telling me I shouldn't believe everything Michael Moore wrote in "Stupid White Men", but the treatment of felons, real and *suspected*, was reported in the UK even in the right-wing press - and no formal refutation was ever given as far as I am aware.  If this allegation has been proven false, please point me to a source.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/29/04 at 9:46 am

Very true, but paying taxes *without* being allowed to vote... didn't that cause a bit of a fracas a bit over a couple of hundred years ago?

What was even worse about the Florida "felon" list is that people of the same name were excluded from voting, with no additional evidence supplied to prove the identity of the person being excluded.  Now *that* to me sounds like it ought to be a criminal offence (it certainly would be here).

I'm sure some Republican is going to reply to this telling me I shouldn't believe everything Michael Moore wrote in "Stupid White Men", but the treatment of felons, real and *suspected*, was reported in the UK even in the right-wing press - and no formal refutation was ever given as far as I am aware.  If this allegation has been proven false, please point me to a source.

A fine investigative reporter named Greg Palast works for the BBC.  He's American, and he's done a lot of work on the election fraud in Florida in 2000.  I recommend his book The Best Democracy Money Can Buy.  Yes, Florida Secretary of State Katherine Harris illegally purged tens of thousands of innocent people from the voter roles, most of the African-American.  She's not in prison today, she's in the House of Representatives!  Not my idea of justice.  The press over here is very dismissive of this heinous crime as it involves the President's brother, Jeb Bush of Florida, and calls into question the very legitmacy of the Geroge W. Bush presidency.  That's why it took an American investigative reporter, Greg Palast, who works for the BBC to force the horrible truth into the light.

Actually I nver read Moore's Stupid White Men, the I did read Dude Where's My Country.  What is the "felon abuse" you are refering too?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/29/04 at 9:38 pm

You forgot about Daddy Bush ;)

Personally, I don't see what the above quotes (from Scalia)have to do with Bush?  Granted I haven't read the book, can you elaborate DC?

CAT can't log off.  This is DC.  Its almost 11 pm, I'm tired and ready for sleep - yes, sleep  :\'( I can elaborate a bit, and will.  But before I do, I ask you to think about this quote.  It basicaly says that "we the people" can only vote for the president if out state legislatures' alow os to, and that if they don't l;ike the way we vote, they can over rule us.  Wow, sounds close to fascism to me.  And who appointed Scalia to the Supreme Court?.

I'm going to bed now.  Nanyana (phonetical)
DC

Written By: philbo on 06/30/04 at 4:27 am

Actually I nver read Moore's Stupid White Men, the I did read Dude Where's My Country.  What is the "felon abuse" you are refering too?

Greg Palast writes about it here: http://www.gregpalast.com/detail.cfm?artid=122&row=1

You probably know this bit:
Between May 1999 and Election Day 2000, two Florida secretaries of state - Sandra Mortham and Katherine Harris, both protégées of Governor Jeb Bush- ordered 57,700 "ex-felons," who are prohibited from voting by state law, to be removed from voter rolls.

But they weren't exactly accurate:
Thomas Alvin Cooper (2), twenty-eight, was flagged because of a crime for which he will be convicted in the year 2007

Wallace McDonald (5), sixty-four, lost his right to vote in 2000, though his sole run-in with the law was a misdemeanor in 1959. (He fell asleep on a bus-stop bench.)

Some counties defied Harris' directives; Madison County's elections supervisor Linda Howell refused the purge list after she found her own name on it.

But this is the clincher:
Of the "matches' on these lists, the civil-rights commission estimated that at least 14 percent - or 8,000 voters, nearly 15 times Bush's official margin of victory - were false.
... in other words if just over half of those illegally excluded from the election had voted for Gore even if the rest had voted Republican, Bush would have lost.

Personally, I find this particular bit of gerrymandering to be the most objectionable of the whole debacle, and even more so because it has been so casually overlooked.  IIRC, the penalty for an equivalent offence over here carries a maximum 10 year jail sentence (there have been people jailed for much, much less)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/30/04 at 5:19 am

Greg Palast writes about it here: http://www.gregpalast.com/detail.cfm?artid=122&row=1

You probably know this bit:

But they weren't exactly accurate:

Thanks for the Palast refresher course Philbo.  Katherine Harris is not in prison, but has been rewarded with a seat in the House of Reprehensibles, I mean, Representatives.  Jeb Bush was not impeached and removed from office, but is now looked upon favorably for a future run at the presidency shoudl Dubya manage to snag by hook or by crook another election.  These are dark days indeed.
The right-wing, finding these antics quite impossible to deny or to pin on Democrats, has told us to "just get over it."  The "just get over it" line was well in play before the vernal equinox of 2001. Shame, shame, shame on all of them!
If a Democrat governor, a Democrat Secretary of State, and five liberal Supreme Court justices had done the same things on behalf of a Democrat Presidential candidate, there would have been CIVIL WAR! 

Written By: Mushroom on 06/30/04 at 6:51 pm

One thing that amazes me is how most people really do not understand Florida and how it votes.

Florida is largely conservative.  It is even more so in the Panhandle.  And because of the increasing Hispanic population, it is becomming more conservative every year.  I live less then 30 miles from the Panhandle, and I see and hear about that all the time.

Add to that, the large distrust of the Federal government.  This makes most of them vote Republican.  And to confuse things more, the Panhandle is in a different time zone then the majority of the state.  While the body of Florida is in the Eastern Time Zone, the Panhandle is in the Central Time Zone.

Thia was a large issue during the 2000 election, because a lot of polls closed 1 hour early in this area.  It also explains why the TV exit polls were so far off.  When the main part closed, Gore had a slight lead.  But when the Panhandle closed it's polls, it's large conservative majority pulled the state the other way.

One other thing that causes the changes is Pensacola.  P-cola is largely a military base.  And 2 things are common when counting votes in a military town.  For one thing, there are more people who vote for Republican Presidents in the military then Democrats.  Also, there is a proportionatlly higher Absentee Ballot ratio because of deployments then in other areas.  I was oversees during the 1988 primary season, and I filed my ballot that way.  And when I returned home in time for the main ellection, I filed Absentee again because my home state was California and I was stationed in North Carolina.

One thing a lot of people also forgot is the large number of elderly that supported Buchannon.  Florida (especially the Miami area) are large Buchannon areas.  He did a lot of campaigning there, and a lot of fund raising.  These are the same people who supported Barry Goldwater a generation ago.

I found this little bit on-line last week, and the mention of Kathleen Harris reminded me of it.  Here is the full text:

And in May, former Florida Secretary of State Katherine Harris, who presided over the state's 2000 presidential recount, revealed that her absentee ballot in a March 2004 local election was not counted because she forgot to sign it. 

I find this very funny, since she was one of the loudest screamers of "vote fraud" and "uncounted ballots".

Getting back to the original topic though, I still believe that criminals have lost the right to vote.  Remember, we elect more then just Presidents, Senators, and Mayors.  We vote for judges.  We vote for District Attorneys.  We vote for Sheriffs.  Depending on location, we vote for Chief Of Police.  Do we really want convicted felons to have a say in those who they may face at a future date?  I know I do not.  If nothing else, this is a good reason to keep things the way they are.

And I read that article.  There is a lot that is NOT said there.  For example, Thomas Alvin Cooper.  They mention he is scheduled to be convicted in 2007, which is an obvious mistake.  However, they do not ask a simple question: is he a previously convicted felon?  I bet that he is, and there is simply a typo for the year.

As far as Johnny Jackson Jr., that is a mistake.  But who cares that the conviction was in Texas.  If they WERE the same person, then he still can not vote in Florida.  Because it is Florida law that matters in Florida, not Texas law.

If people are put on the list by mistake, then it should be easily cleared up.  I love how people will scream about people who are excluded by mistake, and ignore illegal votes.  Illegal Aliens, Resident Aliens,dead people, people who double vote, convicts who vote under assumed names.  This is also an attempt to violate the voteing system.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/30/04 at 11:02 pm

Getting back to the original topic though, I still believe that criminals have lost the right to vote.  Remember, we elect more then just Presidents, Senators, and Mayors.  We vote for judges.  We vote for District Attorneys.  We vote for Sheriffs.  Depending on location, we vote for Chief Of Police.  Do we really want convicted felons to have a say in those who they may face at a future date?  I know I do not.  If nothing else, this is a good reason to keep things the way they are.
Whether or not felons who have not paid their debts to society should be allowed to vote is one thing.  Once they've paid their fines and served their sentences, they should have the right to vote.  If we start forbidding people to vote based on prejudice against HOW they will vote, then I will lobby to disenfrancise southern white males, because I generally disagree with the way THEY vote.

And I read that article.  There is a lot that is NOT said there.  For example, Thomas Alvin Cooper.  They mention he is scheduled to be convicted in 2007, which is an obvious mistake.  However, they do not ask a simple question: is he a previously convicted felon?  I bet that he is, and there is simply a typo for the year.
The very fact you are willing to say this gives me the chills.  You are supposed to be innocent until proven guilty.  That's what the Data collection company wanted to do, that's what the state of Florida paid them to do.  Choicepoint was paid to take that raw list and and make darn sure that every single name on that list was indeed a convicted felon.  Harris said "no."  She told them NOT to do the work the state already paid them for. They were happy with a bloated list of raw, uncorroberated, unsubstantiated data.  The company's work wasn't even halfway done.
Now, what you are saying, Mushroom, is Thomas Alvin is guilty by association.  That's like saying, well, he's black, so he probably DID do a felony, so let's disenfranchise him anyway.  Actually, that's what Harris's office did.  When there are eight or ten thousand unproven names like Alvin's is there a problem with official corrucption and election fraud?  You BET there IS!  Shame, shame, shame, and shame!

As far as Johnny Jackson Jr., that is a mistake.  But who cares that the conviction was in Texas.  If they WERE the same person, then he still can not vote in Florida.  Because it is Florida law that matters in Florida, not Texas law.
Nooooo, if you don't have a Florida felony record, you can vote in Florida.  It was illegal to disenfranchise Florida citizens who had been convicted of felonies in other states.

If people are put on the list by mistake, then it should be easily cleared up.  I love how people will scream about people who are excluded by mistake, and ignore illegal votes.  Illegal Aliens, Resident Aliens,dead people, people who double vote, convicts who vote under assumed names.  This is also an attempt to violate the voteing system.

If you're on Harris's list, and your black, you're not going to be able to clear it up.  If the cops even let you get to the polls, they're just going to say you're not registered.  Go home, boy.  And, yes voter fraud is voter fraud, so let's not elect people who commit it to the U.S. House of Representatives, thank you.

Written By: Mushroom on 07/01/04 at 9:03 am

Whether or not felons who have not paid their debts to society should be allowed to vote is one thing.  Once they've paid their fines and served their sentences, they should have the right to vote.  If we start forbidding people to vote based on prejudice against HOW they will vote, then I will lobby to disenfrancise southern white males, because I generally disagree with the way THEY vote.

Now WHERE did I complain about how they MIGHT vote?  I simply asked if we wanted these people to vote for the people who MAY at a later date work to put them back in jail.  And please do not bring up race.  I did not say anything about it, and that is how you are born.

We are born the color we are, we do not choose it.  However, people DO choose to become criminals.  They violate the laws, so I have no pity for them when they loose some of the rights the rest of us enjoy.

The very fact you are willing to say this gives me the chills.  You are supposed to be innocent until proven guilty.  That's what the Data collection company wanted to do, that's what the state of Florida paid them to do.  Choicepoint was paid to take that raw list and and make darn sure that every single name on that list was indeed a convicted felon.  Harris said "no."  She told them NOT to do the work the state already paid them for. They were happy with a bloated list of raw, uncorroberated, unsubstantiated data.  The company's work wasn't even halfway done.

Yes, I agree.  And Felons have been CONVICTED!  They are guilty.

As far as Katherine Harris, I thought she was a Democrat.  She also screamed about how people were discounted during the 2000 election.

Personally, I question the wisdom of a private company being given the names of voters and felons.  This is part of the governments job, and giving such information to a private company gives me the chills personally.  Then they release names and records to the public, that is even worse.  But nobody screams about that violation of privacy.

Now, what you are saying, Mushroom, is Thomas Alvin is guilty by association.  That's like saying, well, he's black, so he probably DID do a felony, so let's disenfranchise him anyway.

OK, now just stop right there!!!!!  *NOWHERE* did I say anything even remotely like that!  And don't you *DARE* try to even hint that I may be a raceist.

NOWHERE does it say his race, and I could not care less.  What I am saying is that everything seems to match BUT his date of conviction.  If 4 out of 5 facts are right, I am more likely to go with the 4 that are right, and consider the 5th a mistake.  That is the case here.  If it is a mistake, it should be fixed.

Now I do not care if a felong is white, red, black, green, yellow, or purple.  I *NEVER* care about race.  Criminals (and good decent people) come in all races.  Race always has been a meaningless statistic to me.  So kindly stop throwing it in my face, and trying to make *ME* out to be a raceist.

Nooooo, if you don't have a Florida felony record, you can vote in Florida.  It was illegal to disenfranchise Florida citizens who had been convicted of felonies in other states.

Not true.  Just like if you loose your drivers license in Georgia, you can't go to ALabama and get one.  Because the form states "Have you ever lost your license".  I saw a Florida registration form last year.  It says "Have you ever been convicted of a felony".  It does not say "In Florida". 

If you're on Harris's list, and your black, you're not going to be able to clear it up.  If the cops even let you get to the polls, they're just going to say you're not registered.  Go home, boy.  And, yes voter fraud is voter fraud, so let's not elect people who commit it to the U.S. House of Representatives, thank you.

OK, now who is being raceist and bigoted?  That has never been proven to have happen in the last 2 decades that I am aware of.  This is Cuba.  There are no police at the polls in the United States.  If somebody is not on the roles, they simply are not given a ballot.  Plain and simple.  We are not talking about Jim Crow era here.

As a matter of fact, Jim Crowe is largely dead and gone.  That is my grandparent's generation and older.  Most people I know are deeply ashamed of that era.

And let's not forget who the major leader of Jom Croew laws was.  Yes, my good friend George Wallace, Democrat Governor of Alabama.

Written By: Mushroom on 07/01/04 at 12:44 pm

Isn't that basically what the electoral college does?  They can vote for whomever they wish, regardless of what "we the people" say.

That depends on the state they are electors for.

Traditionally, they all vote as a block for whoever was the vote leader of that state.  But they are not required to vote that way.

In fact, when you vote you are not voting directly for the President, but for who will be your Elector.  Whichever party wins the state gets all the electors as a block.  They assemble in December and cast the official ballots for President and Vice President.

This was done in a day where communication was slow, often taking days or weeks to assemble the final totals in an election.  This allowed a state to have it's vote, then have several electors represent them in the National Ellection.

As for the fairness, it is just as fair as out Legislative process.  California gets more Electors then Idaho, because it has a larger population.  In just the same way, it gets more Representatives in the House. 

In fact, this system was set up in 1824, after a scandal denied Andrew Jackson the Presidency, even though he won the majority vote.  This scandal helped set up the current system.

In 1876, the Electoral College itself had to vote for Rutheford Hayes, even though Samual Tilden won the popular vote.  Hayes won the electors for the states of South Carolina, Louisiana, and Florida.  But they refused to vote unless Reconstruction was lifted.  In a compromise, Federal Troops were pulled out, Reconstruction ended, and Hayes was elected President.

In 1888, incumbant Democratic President Grover Cleveland won the popular vote, vut lost the Electoral College to Benjamin Harrison.  This happened because Cleveland won most of the states, but Harrison won the states with the largest population.  This changed 4 years later when Harrison was upset by Cleveland.  This allowed Grover Cleveland to be the only President to win 2 terms that were not consecutive.

The outcome in 2000 was not original.  I agree that the Electoral College was a good idea, who's time is past.  It was designed for a time when horseback was the fastest way to travel, and was the only practial system for a National Election in the early 1800's.

http://www.fec.gov/pages/ecworks.htm

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/01/04 at 5:10 pm

OK, now just stop right there!!!!!   *NOWHERE* did I say anything even remotely like that!  And don't you *DARE* try to even hint that I may be a raceist.

I didn't say YOU were racist, I said your prejudice regarding the unverified felons list was akin to racism.

NOWHERE does it say his race, and I could not care less.  What I am saying is that everything seems to match BUT his date of conviction.  If 4 out of 5 facts are right, I am more likely to go with the 4 that are right, and consider the 5th a mistake.  That is the case here.  If it is a mistake, it should be fixed.

OHHHH, yes it does.  That "felons" list had every individual's race listed.  That's how Katherine Harris knew to exclude people guilty of being black.  Blacks will most likely vote Democrat.  The more blacks we can disenfranchise, the better it would be for Republicans

Now I do not care if a felong is white, red, black, green, yellow, or purple.  I *NEVER* care about race.  Criminals (and good decent people) come in all races.  Race always has been a meaningless statistic to me.  So kindly stop throwing it in my face, and trying to make *ME* out to be a raceist.

YOU never care about the race of criminals, but Harris and Jeb Bush sure do!

Not true.  Just like if you loose your drivers license in Georgia, you can't go to ALabama and get one.  Because the form states "Have you ever lost your license".  I saw a Florida registration form last year.  It says "Have you ever been convicted of a felony".  It does not say "In Florida". 

You may be right.  I'll have to check again.  Are you sure the felon disenfranchisement law in Florida includes felonies committed in other states?

OK, now who is being raceist and bigoted?  That has never been proven to have happen in the last 2 decades that I am aware of.  This is Cuba.  There are no police at the polls in the United States.  If somebody is not on the roles, they simply are not given a ballot.  Plain and simple.  We are not talking about Jim Crow era here.

This Jim Crow kind of intimidation at the polls does happen in the South.  It is well-documented.  And it did happen in Florida in 2000.  There were roadblocks stopping African Americans and turning them back.  Gore just didn't have the cajones to make this an issue.  Shame on him.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/02/04 at 11:21 am

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/uc/20040701/ltmsho040702.gif

;D

Cat

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/02/04 at 2:42 pm

Isn't that basically what the electoral college does?  They can vote for whomever they wish, regardless of what "we the people" say.

Technically (legallly) you are right.  Electors can vote for whomever they choose.  James Madison (the Federalist # 10) thought they would be the good, wise, disinterested patriots that would put factious interests aside.  The 2 party system, which he and the others did not forsee and would not approve but which was inevitable, rendered this right meaningless.  Each party puts up its list of electors, who are alway staunch party people.  The likelyhood of any of them voting for the other guy at the Electoral  Collage is on a par with a snow ball not melting in hell, or in Florida.  In fact, there may have been only one case where something like that happened - the Hayes - Tilden 1876 election, which R.B. Hayes (a Republican) probably stole, and without the Supreme Court's intervention. 

Written By: Mushroom on 07/02/04 at 2:57 pm

I didn't say YOU were racist, I said your prejudice regarding the unverified felons list was akin to racism.

That is such a fine line that even somebody as subtle as I am has problems telling one from the other.  I have no prejudice against the list, you do.  I am willing to accept it as it is, you are the one that is prejudiced against it.

OHHHH, yes it does.  That "felons" list had every individual's race listed.  That's how Katherine Harris knew to exclude people guilty of being black.  Blacks will most likely vote Democrat.  The more blacks we can disenfranchise, the better it would be for Republicans

Well then screw it.  You seem obsessed around the concept that Republicans want to disenfranchise people.  You are so obsessed with it, you ignore all history and go on with opinion claiming it is fact.  

Lets ignore the FACT that Reconstruction was enacted by REPUBLICANS to force Southern states to allow blacks to vote.  Lets ignore the FACT that it worked until 1876, when DEMOCRATS forced it's repeal, which started the Jim Crowe era.  Lets ignore the FACT that Democratic Governor of Alabama George Wallace is the one that caused some of the worst atrocities in civil rights history.

To make it even more muddy, guess who had the endorsement of the NAACP for Governor in 1958?  That's right, George Wallace.

YOU never care about the race of criminals, but Harris and Jeb Bush sure do!

I don't care about the race of anybody.  But to me, criminals are criminals.  If they are not allowed to vote, then they are not allowed to vote.  PERIOD.  Red, Yellow, White, Black, does not matter to me in the least.

You may be right.  I'll have to check again.  Are you sure the felon disenfranchisement law in Florida includes felonies committed in other states?

Yes, I just asked again, and did some fast checking.  The form only asks if you had a felony conviction, not WHERE.

This Jim Crow kind of intimidation at the polls does happen in the South.  It is well-documented.  And it did happen in Florida in 2000.  There were roadblocks stopping African Americans and turning them back.   Gore just didn't have the cajones to make this an issue.  Shame on him.

Roadblocks that stopped blacks from voting in 2000?  Prove this please.  I live in Alabama, less then 20 miles from Florida.  I have not heard of this, and neither has anybody else that I know of.

You seem to have this picture of the South as it was 30+ years ago, not as it is today.  If roadblocks really happened, I am shocked that none of the Police have been brought up on Federal Civil Rights charges.  If this is true, why have we not heard of it?

I remember some people talking right after the election, but all were proven to be false.  Just the same way that people claimed that what Bush did was akin to Reconstruction.  Never mind that Reconstruction GAVE blacks the power to vote, and it's repeal took it away.

Please verify at least some facts before saying things like that.  All it does it make you look like Michael Moore.

:)

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/02/04 at 3:02 pm

One thing that amazes me is how most people really do not understand Florida and how it votes.

Florida is largely conservative.  It is even more so in the Panhandle.  And because of the increasing Hispanic population, it is becomming more conservative every year.  I live less then 30 miles from the Panhandle, and I see and hear about that all the time.

Add to that, the large distrust of the Federal government.  This makes most of them vote Republican.  And to confuse things more, the Panhandle is in a different time zone then the majority of the state.  While the body of Florida is in the Eastern Time Zone, the Panhandle is in the Central Time Zone.

Thia was a large issue during the 2000 election, because a lot of polls closed 1 hour early in this area.  It also explains why the TV exit polls were so far off.  When the main part closed, Gore had a slight lead.  But when the Panhandle closed it's polls, it's large conservative majority pulled the state the other way.

One other thing that causes the changes is Pensacola.  P-cola is largely a military base.  And 2 things are common when counting votes in a military town.  For one thing, there are more people who vote for Republican Presidents in the military then Democrats.  Also, there is a proportionatlly higher Absentee Ballot ratio because of deployments then in other areas.  I was oversees during the 1988 primary season, and I filed my ballot that way.  And when I returned home in time for the main ellection, I filed Absentee again because my home state was California and I was stationed in North Carolina.

One thing a lot of people also forgot is the large number of elderly that supported Buchannon.  Florida (especially the Miami area) are large Buchannon areas.  He did a lot of campaigning there, and a lot of fund raising.  These are the same people who supported Barry Goldwater a generation ago.

I found this little bit on-line last week, and the mention of Kathleen Harris reminded me of it.  Here is the full text:

And in May, former Florida Secretary of State Katherine Harris, who presided over the state's 2000 presidential recount, revealed that her absentee ballot in a March 2004 local election was not counted because she forgot to sign it.   

I find this very funny, since she was one of the loudest screamers of "vote fraud" and "uncounted ballots".

Large chunks of Florida are certainly conservative, but there are also large concentrations of more liberal voters.  

It is VERY Clear that (Republican) Katherine Harris intentionally purged large numbers of largely black voters from the roles, and did so intentionally, thus disenfranchizing significant numbers of Gore supporters.  It is also beyond question that the "Jews for Buchanan" factor was a result of a faulty ballot.  Even Buchanan said so.

Wheather felons who have served their time should vote is a philosophical question.  In Florida they can't.  OK  But that isn't the issue.  The issue is the dewnial of the franchise to apparantly thousands of eligible voters who were not felons.

The broader issue is the notion that the right to vote can be circumvented by state legislatures at their whim.  Technically, Scalia may have been right.  The Constitution does not set any peramiters on the right to vote.  It leaves that to the states.  But he went further by saying that once states establish those peramiters, they can over-ride them.  

Written By: philbo on 07/02/04 at 3:23 pm

That is such a fine line that even somebody as subtle as I am has problems telling one from the other.  I have no prejudice against the list, you do.  I am willing to accept it as it is, you are the one that is prejudiced against it.

Sorry, but that's plain unacceptable: the list is provably inaccurate, and its use was flawed to a truly disgusting degree.  Maxwell ain't prejudiced against it - and you are now willing to accept it "as is", you are willing to overlook obvious errors in the belief that the guy must have been guilty of something.

Well then screw it.  You seem obsessed around the concept that Republicans want to disenfranchise people.  You are so obsessed with it, you ignore all history and go on with opinion claiming it is fact.  

Not all Republicans... just the ruling junta in Florida.  "opinion claimed as fact" - What more proof of illegality do you require?

Lets ignore the FACT that Reconstruction was enacted by REPUBLICANS to force Southern states to allow blacks to vote.  Lets ignore the FACT that it worked until 1876, when DEMOCRATS forced it's repeal, which started the Jim Crowe era.  Lets ignore the FACT that Democratic Governor of Alabama George Wallace is the one that caused some of the worst atrocities in civil rights history.

Whether this is true or not, it's completely irrelevant to the above crime.  And crime it is, however blinkered you try to be.

Written By: Mushroom on 07/02/04 at 3:26 pm

Technically (legallly) you are right.  Electors can vote for whomever they choose.  James Madison (the Federalist # 10) thought they would be the good, wise, disinterested patriots that would put factious interests aside. 

The idea that the winnner would become President and the loser Vice President was a good idea.  The idea was this would create a compromise Governenment.  But they did not anticipate how infighting would make that idea impossible.

In fact, there may have been only one case where something like that happened - the Hayes - Tilden 1876 election, which R.B. Hayes (a Republican) probably stole, and without the Supreme Court's intervention. 

Actually, I covered this once before.

Tildon won the popular vote, because he concentrated on winning the minority states.  Hayes concentrated on the majority states like New York and Pennsylvania, which had more electoral votes.  Because of this, he won electorally.

When it came time for the Electors to vote, 3 states (South Carolina, Louisiana, and Florida) refused to vote.  This gave neither candidate the votes needed to win electorally.  A compromise was reached, which repealed Reconstruction and removed Federal troops.  This allowed Jim Crowe laws, and changed the South for the next 90 years.  The election was not "stollen", because Hayes DID win the needed Electors, they simply refused to vote until Reconstruction was repealed.

Written By: Mushroom on 07/02/04 at 3:31 pm

Not all Republicans... just the ruling junta in Florida.  "opinion claimed as fact" - What more proof of illegality do you require?

Oh, just the majority of Republicans want to disenfranchise people?

Strange, how people can say that and get away with it.  But if I said something like that about Democrats, I am being hateful.

In the last 2 weeks, I am remembering why I left this board.

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/02/04 at 4:10 pm

The idea that the winnner would become President and the loser Vice President was a good idea.  The idea was this would create a compromise Governenment.  But they did not anticipate how infighting would make that idea impossible.

Actually, I covered this once before.

Tildon won the popular vote, because he concentrated on winning the minority states.  Hayes concentrated on the majority states like New York and Pennsylvania, which had more electoral votes.  Because of this, he won electorally.

When it came time for the Electors to vote, 3 states (South Carolina, Louisiana, and Florida) refused to vote.  This gave neither candidate the votes needed to win electorally.  A compromise was reached, which repealed Reconstruction and removed Federal troops.  This allowed Jim Crowe laws, and changed the South for the next 90 years.  The election was not "stollen", because Hayes DID win the needed Electors, they simply refused to vote until Reconstruction was repealed.

But if memory serves, those 3 states voted for Tildon.  I can't check this because my books are in my office, which I use only for business, so correct me if I am wrong.  In any case, the issue is an aside.

Written By: philbo on 07/02/04 at 5:34 pm

Oh, just the majority of Republicans want to disenfranchise people?

Strange, how people can say that and get away with it.  But if I said something like that about Democrats, I am being hateful.

In the last 2 weeks, I am remembering why I left this board.

Well, if you'd learn to read, then maybe... just maybe, you might consider it worth staying around.

Where did I (or anyone else for that matter) say "the majority of Republicans want to disenfranchise people"?  There is ample evidence to suggest that the guys at the top most certainly did want to disenfranchise those that they thought would vote against them, but for you to turn that into a complaint against all Republicans is verging on paranoia.

As a Brit, I don't care whether that sort of election fiddle was carried out by Republicans or Democrats - it was ILLEGAL, FFS.  It had a material effect on who is running the most powerful country in the world, and your only defence is to suggest I'd be saying something different if a Democrat had perpetrated the same sort of scam.  Well, show me the evidence of similar skulduggery by a Democrat, and I'll say the same sort of thing about that, too.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 07/03/04 at 7:47 am

Thank you Philbo, I haven't had such a good chuckle in a while  :P :) :)  Touche  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/03/04 at 2:08 pm

The overwhelming and unrefuted evidence by Greg Palast, The Best Democracy Money Can Buy shows a dozen ways in which Katherine Harris's list of felons was inflated, bogus, and illegal.  They try to dismiss Palast, but the never impeached his findings, and when confronted by the man, they ran away--literally.

As above. 93% of African Americans eligable to vote in Florida vote Democratic.  31% of voting-age African Americans have been called felons on disenfranchises.  Almost a third.  Don't you smell a rat? 

The party names REPUBLICAN and DEMOCRAT meant very different things from today in the 19th century, and again very different things from today prior to the Civil Rights act of 1964.  It was the Republicans who stole the election from Tilden in 1876, but I wouldn't cite that as a precedent against the Republican party of 2000 stealing the election from Gore.

To make it even more muddy, guess who had the endorsement of the NAACP for Governor in 1958?  That's right, George Wallace.

That's because the other candidate, Democrat Attorney General John Patterson was an even bigger racist MoFo than Wallace.  Patterson had the direct endorsement of the KKK, and ran on the old Dixiecrat platform commonly known as "n*gg*r, n*gg*r, n*gg*r."  Wallace tempered his racist scumbaggery as a tactic to procure more votes.  He did get the endorsement of the NAACP against the odious Patterson, but he got creamed anyway.

I don't care about the race of anybody.  But to me, criminals are criminals.  If they are not allowed to vote, then they are not allowed to vote.  PERIOD.  Red, Yellow, White, Black, does not matter to me in the least.

Then the fact that anybody on the list of felons was not, in fact, a felon should still infuriate you.

Yes, I just asked again, and did some fast checking.  The form only asks if you had a felony conviction, not WHERE.

IF a Florida resident was a convicted of a felony in another state, served his sentence, and was released from custody by that other state, he has the right to vote in Florida.  The Florida courts repeatedly forbade Governor Bush from taking the civil rights of ex-felons from other states.  Bush brazenly held these orders in contempt, and had tens of thousands of such ex-felons disenfranchised.

Furthermore, thousands of people on the felons lists had conviction dates in the future.  Harris's office remedied the problem not by finding out if they had a possible conviction date, but by simply rubbing out the date and leaving it blank.

Thousands of others were convicted not of felonies, but misdemeanors.

Roadblocks that stopped blacks from voting in 2000?  Prove this please.  I live in Alabama, less then 20 miles from Florida.  I have not heard of this, and neither has anybody else that I know of.
Yeah, this allegation is sketchier.  There were many accusations made and many affidavits signed to swear there were police roadblocks profiling blacks on election day.  However, they remain unverified.  I wouldn't put it past the cops, but I wouldn't try to say it happened for sure.

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/03/04 at 3:07 pm

Well, if you'd learn to read, then maybe... just maybe, you might consider it worth staying around.

Where did I (or anyone else for that matter) say "the majority of Republicans want to disenfranchise people"?  There is ample evidence to suggest that the guys at the top most certainly did want to disenfranchise those that they thought would vote against them, but for you to turn that into a complaint against all Republicans is verging on paranoia.

As a Brit, I don't care whether that sort of election fiddle was carried out by Republicans or Democrats - it was ILLEGAL, FFS.  It had a material effect on who is running the most powerful country in the world, and your only defence is to suggest I'd be saying something different if a Democrat had perpetrated the same sort of scam.  Well, show me the evidence of similar skulduggery by a Democrat, and I'll say the same sort of thing about that, too.

I agree.  Election fraud is reprehendible whoever does it, and Democrates have done their share.  In the 1960 election, Democrates in Chacago were so loyal that even dead ones voted.  But then, dead Republicans in southern Ill. were just as loyal, so nothing was said about it. 

Check for new replies or respond here...