» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Those Squirrels can be so...um...unpatriotic?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/29/04 at 1:30 pm

Squirrel Steals Yellow Ribbons From Tree

Tue Jun 29, 8:05 AM ET  AP

BETTENDORF, Iowa - A couple has finally discovered what was happening to the yellow ribbons they were tying to the trees in their yard in support of their son and other troops in Iraq (news - web sites).

"The ribbons started to disappear. Every time it disappeared, I would hang a new one," said Bob Saskowski, who tied the ribbons with his wife, Alexis.

It went on for eight months. The last straw was when three ribbons disappeared in three days.

So Bob Saskowski appealed to his neighbors through a memo, asking them to talk to their teenagers about respect and patriotism and asked for their help.

"It indicated I needed their eyes to help them watch the trees," he said.

Neighbors responded by adding yellow ribbons to the trees in their yards.

"My husband and I were ticked," said neighbor Patty Kenyon. "And we all decided if this person was going to pick on Bob, they can pick on all of us. And we literally put ribbons up and down the street."

The ribbons kept disappearing, but only from the Saskowski yard.

"We thought someone had a vengeance against us, personally, because no one else's ribbons in the neighborhood was disappearing," Saskowski said.

Finally, the couple set up a video camera, focused on the yard. Six weeks later, they caught the culprit on tape. The ribbon was being shimmied slowly down the trunk.

At the base, the squirrel pushing the ribbon, bit through the ribbon and took off with it.

"We can laugh now," Saskowski said. "Before, it was not funny."

He says the squirrel was actually a good thing.

"And I named him Patriot because he brought our neighborhood together," Saskowski said.

Cat

Subject: Re: Those Squirrels can be so...um...unpatriotic?

Written By: GWBush2004 on 06/29/04 at 2:22 pm

Time to get the pellet gun.

Written By: Dagwood on 06/29/04 at 6:34 pm

That is hilarious.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/29/04 at 9:15 pm

CAT CAN"T LOG OFF THIS IS DON CARLOS

Here in town, a member of the town council made a similar suggestion regarding stray cats that "did their business" in kids' sand boxes.  He got voted off the council as a result.  Go figure.
DC

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/02/04 at 5:41 pm

And reading this again I notice that your first thought is "get the gun".  Couldn't we try to reason with the squirrles?  ;)  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...