» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Children

Written By: SI-MAE on 06/29/04 at 2:23 pm

I hate kids. Children of the present day are rude, arrogant, vulgar, etc. I recently had a 5 year old child use the F-Word on me at a church picnic. This was for church, people. I've had other instances where children think it's funny to swear, insult, even attack others. These are 4 and 5 year olds.

What could be causing this? I blame bad parenting and the wipe out of beating. I don't refer to blindly and ragefully pummeling a child, I believe in physical discipline. It was used on me, and I turned out halfway decent. Kids today are turning into pigs, and at the same time, physical discipline is consider more and more child abuse. What do you think?

Subject: Re: Children

Written By: GWBush2004 on 06/29/04 at 2:56 pm

Kids today are screwed up.  Lack of discipline, the decline of spanking and other factors.  Parents who allow thier televisions and computers in their kids' rooms.  If the kid is afraid to watch something in public, odds are its trash.  Parents not watching their kids allowing them complete access to internet filth.  Parents who are disrespectful to their parents.  Why would a kid treat you with respect when you treat your parents like garbage?  Kids today are basically the poster children for the ''me'' generation.  Its all about me screw them.  Public schools are a failure today, every parent should at least TRY to send their kids to a private school or a catholic school or something.  I'm glad i've never had children, God that has to be the worst pain in the neck.

Written By: ladybug316 on 06/29/04 at 3:21 pm

Kids today are screwed up.  Lack of discipline, the decline of spanking and other factors.  Parents who allow thier televisions and computers in their kids' rooms.  If the kid is afraid to watch something in public, odds are its trash.  Parents not watching their kids allowing them complete access to internet filth.  Parents who are disrespectful to their parents.  Why would a kid treat you with respect when you treat your parents like garbage?  Kids today are basically the poster children for the ''me'' generation.  Its all about me screw them.  Public schools are a failure today, every parent should at least TRY to send their kids to a private school or a catholic school or something.  I'm glad i've never had children, God that has to be the worst pain in the neck.
I just KNEW you didn't have children!!  What does television in a child's room have to do with bad behavior?  How many people do you know who "allow" their children "complete access to internet filth?  The public schools where I live are wonderful.  What the H**L are you talking about?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/29/04 at 3:29 pm

We've covered this ground before.  I don't have any kids, and I never want any.  I barely survived into adulthood myself, and I hardly feel like being in charge making sure others make it to adulthood.  I don't hate kids, I just turn into a total dork when I'm around them.  I don't know how to relate to little kids.  I don't go out with women who have kids because I refuse to become "mom's dorky boyfriend!"

Written By: Harmonica on 06/29/04 at 3:49 pm

I was a weirdo, I was remembered for being a good kid. So that answer any questions?  Being good is stupid, being good is weird, being good gets you hated. Believe me I experienced it first hand. 

I'll be honest with you though I'm glad I was good even if it didn't pay off in the end. I'm still glad I'm good.

Not enough relationship with God, and not enough goals for children to look forward too. Hey I got a right to say that I was a good kid.

Written By: Mushroom on 06/29/04 at 4:54 pm

I blame a lot of the problems on my generation, and on one person, Dr. Spock.

Around the time I was born, Dr. Spock was telling mothers everywhere that they knew how to raise their kids better then everybody else, and that their kids were better at raising themselves then their parents were.  Basically, he trained them to stop discipline, and to coddle them.

This has made a generation of disfunctional spoiled brats.  And now, THEIR children are reaching maturity.  We have "time outs" instead of spankings.  There are no punishments, only "conversations" with children who misbehave.  And trust me, I have seen this in action.

Several years ago I dated a gal with a 2 year old daughter.  She did not believe in any form of spanking, and frankly her child was a spoiled brat.  Now I am not one for abuse, but try and tell me how you are going to TALK to a 2 year old and convince her to NOT run into the parking lot, or to NOT play with knives?

2 year olds do not have that kind of attention span.  Talking to them does no good, because a minute later they forget about it.  But a swat on the bottom does make them think.  If nothing else, they avoid such behavior because they know it may cause another one.  This works till they reach a more mature age, when you CAN reason with them.

I was raised in the 60's and early 1970's, by parents with old fashioned values.  I learned Sir and Ma'am.  I did not talk back to my elders.  That is not the case now, where kids will readily tell an adult to f**k off if they feel like it.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/29/04 at 5:06 pm

Around the time I was born, Dr. Spock was telling mothers everywhere that they knew how to raise their kids better then everybody else, and that their kids were better at raising themselves then their parents were.  Basically, he trained them to stop discipline, and to coddle them.

This has made a generation of disfunctional spoiled brats.  And now, THEIR children are reaching maturity.  We have "time outs" instead of spankings.  There are no punishments, only "conversations" with children who misbehave.  And trust me, I have seen this in action.

Several years ago I dated a gal with a 2 year old daughter.  She did not believe in any form of spanking, and frankly her child was a spoiled brat.  Now I am not one for abuse, but try and tell me how you are going to TALK to a 2 year old and convince her to NOT run into the parking lot, or to NOT play with knives?

2 year olds do not have that kind of attention span.  Talking to them does no good, because a minute later they forget about it.  But a swat on the bottom does make them think.  If nothing else, they avoid such behavior because they know it may cause another one.  This works till they reach a more mature age, when you CAN reason with them.

I was raised in the 60's and early 1970's, by parents with old fashioned values.  I learned Sir and Ma'am.  I did not talk back to my elders.  That is not the case now, where kids will readily tell an adult to f**k off if they feel like it.

So the leather strap is the answer, eh?  I don't think so.  Say what you want about Dr. Spock, he was no saint.  I will say this,  there is effective progressive parenting, and ineffective progressive parenting.  There is effective traditional parenting, and ineffective traditional parenting.
If a child feels more shame than love, he will grow up in a world of pain.  Shame-based thinking is the most destructive force in American life.  Neither progressive nor traditional parenting can insure a child will not grow up with toxic shame. Parents who know how to show unconditional love, discipline, structure, togetherness, and security can.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 06/29/04 at 6:01 pm

So the leather strap is the answer, eh? 

Yes, yes it is.  Thank you.

Written By: Bobby on 06/29/04 at 6:18 pm

Heh heh.  ;D

I am the 'dorky boyfriend', Maxwell alludes to (no offence taken of course  ;)). Personally, I never dreamed of having kids but they kind of grow on you. My girlfriend's child was 10 when we first met and is now 13 (at that tricky age) and we (my girlfriend and I) have to be quite firm with him. He's a very good, well adjusted, very intelligent person and we try to recognise and praise the good and help him (or be quite stern) with the bad. If he is bad, there are other ways to show discipline. Spanking a 13 year old is a bit much.

Dishonesty is the thing that winds me up the most and I try to say to him that things are less severe, regardless of what he has done, if he talks to us about what he has done honestly. I suppose it is a kid's natural defence mechanism to lie to get themselves out of trouble . . .  ::)

Written By: Dagwood on 06/29/04 at 6:42 pm

So the leather strap is the answer, eh?

He didn't say to beat a child.  There is nothing wrong with a swat to the tush.  You can still show the child love.  There is a fine line between spanking and beating, I agree.  But I also think that a swat to the tush doesn't hurt the child.  At my house time out is the form of punishment we use the most, but she has gotten a swat when she does something totally out of line that she knows is wrong.

Written By: gemini61 on 06/29/04 at 6:59 pm

I am so sick of hearing these blanket statements that ALL kids are rude, disrespectful, brats! You are obviously hanging around the wrong kids. There are plenty of good kids out there! It's just that all people hear are the bad things that kids are doing. What about the good things? Nobody ever talks about that. I've raised 21 and 15 year old daughters, and they are awesome kids. And they aren't the wierd kids that the one post referred to. One is a 60's flower child wanna be  ;) And the other is a guitar player that wants to start a rock band  8)!! All I can say is that I've loved them unconditionally, never had to "beat" them, and let them know that I'm always here whenever they need me!  :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/29/04 at 7:10 pm

This is DC, Cat can't log out.

And this post is obviously from someone who knows nothing about kids.  I have 4.  A PhD in biology, a BA and mother, a successful ballet dancer, and an 18 year old who hasn't decided but is still  a great person.  AND I NEVER HIT ONE OF THEM.  They all are fantastic, caring human beings because we were lucky enough to provide them with a secure, loving, supportive home, and to raise them in a supportive community - mostly.  I would suggest that you relate this thread to the one on abortion.  You seem to want those who share your views about having kids to be forced to even if they share your views.  If you think that having kids "would be the worst pain in the neck" that you don't have any - for their sake, but beyond that, you might not want to talk about that which you admittadly know nothing.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/29/04 at 7:13 pm

We've covered this ground before.  I don't have any kids, and I never want any.  I barely survived into adulthood myself, and I hardly feel like being in charge making sure others make it to adulthood.  I don't hate kids, I just turn into a total dork when I'm around them.  I don't know how to relate to little kids.  I don't go out with women who have kids because I refuse to become "mom's dorky boyfriend!"

Again, DC here.

Don't count yourself out, you may surprise youself.  Nothing like a kid to make you realize what's really important.

Written By: gemini61 on 06/29/04 at 7:14 pm

This is DC, Cat can't log out.

And this post is obviously from someone who knows nothing about kids.  I have 4.  A PhD in biology, a BA and mother, a successful ballet dancer, and an 18 year old who hasn't decided but is still  a great person.  AND I NEVER HIT ONE OF THEM.  They all are fantastic, caring human beings because we were lucky enough to provide them with a secure, loving, supportive home, and to raise them in a supportive community - mostly.  I would suggest that you relate this thread to the one on abortion.  You seem to want those who share your views about having kids to be forced to even if they share your views.  If you think that having kids "would be the worst pain in the neck" that you don't have any - for their sake, but beyond that, you might not want to talk about that which you admittadly know nothing.
Couldn't have said it better myself!! (I wish I had though!) ;)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/29/04 at 7:30 pm

DC AGAIN

Have you ever read Dr Spock's book?  It doesn't sound like it.  Mostrly what he does is tell new parants to relax.  You look up the concern and, unless its "my kid is turning blue" he says relax.  Further, it depends on the edition you read.  Ben (who I met many years ago, when my 1st was still nursing) changed his views on lots of issues, like nursing, demand feeding, schedualed naps and the like.  He also helped people understand the developmental timetable; attention span, understanding of danger etc.  As to kids attitudes towards adults, two things.  Kids repeat what they hear - so we can expect lots of kids to tell their senators that they are "chicken s***'s" and to "go f*** yourself", and there are lots of times that I have witnessed where adults SHOULD be told, IMHO to F*** off.  Sometimes it takes a kid to notice that the emporor has no cloths, and so, out of the mouths of babes...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/29/04 at 7:41 pm

If a child feels more shame than love, he will grow up in a world of pain.  Shame-based thinking is the most destructive force in American life.  Neither progressive nor traditional parenting can insure a child will not grow up with toxic shame. Parents who know how to show unconditional love, discipline, structure, togetherness, and security can.

DC AGAIN

And you think you couldn't be a good parant?  Sounds like you got the basic idea.  Roots and wings.  Roots: security, unconditional love, togetherness, discipline, structure.  Wings: all the above plus support for whatever ambition they come  up with however you can support it.  Tie them down, but let them fly.  That's how you raise good, decent human beings.  Hold the reins, but not too tight.  And mostly, love them.  If they know that you do, you can't go too far wrong.  And I speak as both a child and a father.  And I would that, as a father, there is no greater reward, not evan the gold of a king Midas.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/29/04 at 7:49 pm

DC AGAIN

NO!!! The leather strap is definately NOT the answer.  Those who have been abused, abuse their wives and kids, and their kids grow up to be abusers.  There is SOOOOO much literature on this that I can't believe people still buy into it.  What does it prove to a kid?  That you  are bigger and stronger, and therefore can impose pain?  Great lesson.  Might makes right.  I was never shy about disciplining my kids, but beating them?  NEVER WAS AN OPTION.  There are other, MUCH more effective ways.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/29/04 at 7:55 pm

Heh heh.  ;D

I am the 'dorky boyfriend', Maxwell alludes to (no offence taken of course  ;)). Personally, I never dreamed of having kids but they kind of grow on you. My girlfriend's child was 10 when we first met and is now 13 (at that tricky age) and we (my girlfriend and I) have to be quite firm with him. He's a very good, well adjusted, very intelligent person and we try to recognise and praise the good and help him (or be quite stern) with the bad. If he is bad, there are other ways to show discipline. Spanking a 13 year old is a bit much.

Dishonesty is the thing that winds me up the most and I try to say to him that things are less severe, regardless of what he has done, if he talks to us about what he has done honestly. I suppose it is a kid's natural defence mechanism to lie to get themselves out of trouble . . .  ::)

DC AGAIN

Bobby, sounds like you have some good paranting skills there.  My X and I always thought of the teen years as a tunnel these sweet "babies" entered and became monsters.  If your good, and maybe lucky, they come out the other end as human beings.  May you and your girl frien be both skilled and lucky.  All I can say is "hold the reins, but not too tight".  Good luck with the kid and your relationship.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/29/04 at 8:05 pm

I am so sick of hearing these blanket statements that ALL kids are rude, disrespectful, brats! You are obviously hanging around the wrong kids. There are plenty of good kids out there! It's just that all people hear are the bad things that kids are doing. What about the good things? Nobody ever talks about that. I've raised 21 and 15 year old daughters, and they are awesome kids. And they aren't the wierd kids that the one post referred to. One is a 60's flower child wanna be  ;) And the other is a guitar player that wants to start a rock band  8)!! All I can say is that I've loved them unconditionally, never had to "beat" them, and let them know that I'm always here whenever they need me!  :)

DC AGAIN

You are absolutely right, and congrats on your 2.  They sound delightful, like real, independant people.  You and their father (? - you don't mention, and I don't presume) must have done something right.  Just to support you, I read a letter in my local paper today about a few high school kids who have been working at a home for the elderly, and invited some of those old folks to theit graduation and grad. parties.  Here in town, highschool kids have collected money for the local food shelf.  Most of our kids are good, decent, wonderful people who deserve our support and encouragement, not the kind of vitriole we are seeing on this thread.  If the nay sayers are right, what future do we have as either a people or a nation?  If they are right, I guess we should just give up now.  The young people who are putting their lives on the line at this moment suggests that the nay sayers just don't get it.

Written By: gemini61 on 06/29/04 at 8:16 pm

DC AGAIN

You are absolutely right, and congrats on your 2.  They sound delightful, like real, independant people.  You and their father (? - you don't mention, and I don't presume) must have done something right.  Just to support you, I read a letter in my local paper today about a few high school kids who have been working at a home for the elderly, and invited some of those old folks to theit graduation and grad. parties.  Here in town, highschool kids have collected money for the local food shelf.  Most of our kids are good, decent, wonderful people who deserve our support and encouragement, not the kind of vitriole we are seeing on this thread.  If the nay sayers are right, what future do we have as either a people or a nation?  If they are right, I guess we should just give up now.  The young people who are putting their lives on the line at this moment suggests that the nay sayers just don't get it.
I'm glad someone out there recognizes that good kids are out there! And also to all the nay sayers, how about instead of being part of the problem, try to be part of the solution for some of the problem kids out there. If you see a troubled kid or know one, just talk to them. You'll find out alot and you might just change their lives in some little way.  :)

Written By: GWBush2004 on 06/29/04 at 8:31 pm

Ah, modern day liberal parents who can't see the difference between spanking and abuse.  They act like every kid that is spanked, even when its done right, will grow up with mental problems.  So since near everyone spanked in the 1800's and first half of the 1900's I guess everyone had problems, some logic eh?

Kids are a pain in the neck, and don't tell me they aren't.  They ruin your house, stain your carpet, and do all kinds of things you always have to in today's world act positive about.  No parent can get mad anymore.  Thats one reason I never wanted kids, EVERYTHING seems to be neglect or abuse or something, like everyone is suppose to be perfect.  Here are some other reasons I didn't want kids:

1.  The average infant sleeps 2.75 hours a night.  I am not going to deal with that.
2.  The AVERAGE kid costs 100,000 dollars by age 18 for food and clothes alone.  That doesn't include Christmas, birthdays, toys, doctor, dental, and whatever else.
3.  Your whole life has to revolve around them.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/29/04 at 8:34 pm

I'm glad someone out there recognizes that good kids are out there! And also to all the nay sayers, how about instead of being part of the problem, try to be part of the solution for some of the problem kids out there. If you see a troubled kid or know one, just talk to them. You'll find out alot and you might just change their lives in some little way.  :)

DC AGAIN

And the rewards of helping, or even to try to help, another human being are beyond price.  As a teacher, some students have contacted me and thanked me for my tough love.  I drive them to do their best.  When they come back and thank me, the feeling makes the low salary almost irrevelant.

If we were to accept as true the gist of the thread, could any of us go outside?  Wouldn't we all be terrified of hoards of kids, like army ants, overwhelming us?  It don't happen and it aint going to happen, because most parants care for their kids and wind up (God knows how) decent human beings.  They are our legacy, and mostly, we should be proud.  I am, and I suspect that the other parants on this board are too, and with good reason.

Written By: ladybug316 on 06/30/04 at 8:31 am

Ah, modern day liberal parents who can't see the difference between spanking and abuse.  They act like every kid that is spanked, even when its done right, will grow up with mental problems.  So since near everyone spanked in the 1800's and first half of the 1900's I guess everyone had problems, some logic eh?

Kids are a pain in the neck, and don't tell me they aren't.  They ruin your house, stain your carpet, and do all kinds of things you always have to in today's world act positive about.  No parent can get mad anymore.  Thats one reason I never wanted kids, EVERYTHING seems to be neglect or abuse or something, like everyone is suppose to be perfect.  Here are some other reasons I didn't want kids:

1.  The average infant sleeps 2.75 hours a night.  I am not going to deal with that.
2.  The AVERAGE kid costs 100,000 dollars by age 18 for food and clothes alone.  That doesn't include Christmas, birthdays, toys, doctor, dental, and whatever else.
The most wonderful thing about children is that they change the whole focus of your life.  The reasons you list for kids being a pain in the neck are all selfish (and that's ok, as long as you notice it).  Many people find out too late that they weren't cut out to be parents.  Thank goodness you don't affect the life of children.

Written By: philbo on 06/30/04 at 9:20 am

Ah, modern day liberal parents who can't see the difference between spanking and abuse.

You really can be quite objectionable, you know that?  Anybody with a point of view you disagree with becomes a "liberal" whether it's accurate or otherwise.

You probably wouldn't - I don't see you breastfeeding your child in the middle of the night.  But your figures are wrong, as usual.  Very young infants are unlikely to sleep more than that without waking up for food, but they'll go back to sleep again afterwards.

Well, looks like you'd have to sacrifice that Humvee of yours and buy something more sensible instead

Well, I can guess around whom your life revolves.

On topic -
*Some* children are rude and abusive, but if you think about it, you're a lot more likely to notice loud-mouthed children than well-behaved ones... so perspective gets skewed.

Smacking is not essential in disciplining children - although both my wife and I have smacked our children on occasion, I think the last time was years ago (and I don't think my youngest has ever been smacked, but she is probably the best behaved of the four).  But it takes imagination and a real creativity to come up with appropriate punishments for bad behaviour, together with rewards for when they behave well - this creativity doesn't go well with sleepless nights, so there are times when you end up just getting angry instead.

Interesting statistic from pre-1990: according to a survey mentioned in Dr Christopher Green's book "Toddler Taming", 90% of parents think that their children behave worse than average... this shows that fifteen or more years ago, parents had a very skewed view of how well-behaved the "average" child is... so what's changed?  Well, nothing really.  Though I'd have to say I'm one of the 10% who reckons their children behave much better than average.  All credit to my wife.

Written By: lebeiw15 on 06/30/04 at 10:51 am

Parents who allow thier televisions and computers in their kids' rooms.  If the kid is afraid to watch something in public, odds are its trash.  Parents not watching their kids allowing them complete access to internet filth.  Parents who are disrespectful to their parents. 

Uh, what does any of that have to do with a child's behavior?  Are we blaming behavior on TV and internet again? ::)

Written By: karen on 06/30/04 at 11:08 am

Kids today are screwed up.  Lack of discipline, the decline of spanking and other factors.  Parents who allow thier televisions and computers in their kids' rooms.  If the kid is afraid to watch something in public, odds are its trash.  Parents not watching their kids allowing them complete access to internet filth. 

Not quite the same thing but my daughter couldn't sleep last night so we were watching television.  The programme she watched had some serious language in it.  I was upstairs putting my youngest to bed when it started so I didn't realise quite what she was watching.  The topic wasn't unsuitable just the language some people used.

I spoke to her about it and said that the grown-ups had used some words that weren't nice and she shouldn't repeat them.  Her reply?  "Yes, I heard one of them call another person stupid.  You mustn't ever do that, must you?"  So children don't necessarily pick up the really bad stuff from TV

Written By: lebeiw15 on 06/30/04 at 11:14 am

Newsflash--Kids don't have to turn out to be spoiled, obnoxious brats.  If you have any parenting skills whatsoever and know how to raise a child, chances are they will not turn out to be loudmouthed, kicking, screaming, brats.  This annoys me so much how people can say all kids are a pain in the neck.  I was brought up correctly and I turned out to be decent. 

What's wrong with public schools?  Again, how is this related to a child's behavior?

It seems to me like you don't really know what you're talking about.  BUUUUT that's just me.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 06/30/04 at 11:29 am

Hey at least I have enough sense to know I don't want children, don't you wish some parents knew that too?

Written By: Mushroom on 06/30/04 at 11:35 am

So the leather strap is the answer, eh?  I don't think so. 

There is a VAST difference between a swat and beating your child.

I never abused my children.  Never ever ever.  I can't stress that enough.  In fact, when they are 2 and under, it is a great technique to use, because the diaper absorbs all possible damage.

To a child under 2, it is the THOUGHT that makes the impression.  It simply tells them that they were bad, but does not hurt more then their pride.

As a good example, I had my 12 year old son staying with me one time.  While horseing around, I noticed he had a strong cringe reflex.  He did not understand why it was wrong, and I found out that his sister was abuseing him.

To show him how it is not normal, I lunged at him.  He curled up almost into a ball.  To show him how it was wrong, I then lunged at my 2 year old son.  He jumped, then when he started to giggle his head off.  He *KNEW* I would not hurt him, and realized it was funny to see daddy act like that.

That is the difference between a child abused, and a child that may get light corporal punishment, but never to excess.  I was raised that way, and it was effective to me.

And no, I do not recommend swats for just anything.  Then they loose their effectiveness.  To me, if the action was a danger to the child or others, it was warrented.  Normally my son would not do it again after that.  As I said, it was NOT to pain.  Just the thought that "daddy was mad enough to swat me" was the biggest deterrent.

Once he grew out of diapers, severe punishment became either a lighter swat (had to do it lighter without the padding of the diaper), or a light smack on the hand.  Since he could now reason, this was enough to let him know without traumatizing him.

And always always ALWAYS afterwards, was a few minutes spent trying to explain to him what he did that was bad, and letting him know I still loved him.  I can't stress that enough.  

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/30/04 at 11:42 am

DC AGAIN

And you think you couldn't be a good parant?  Sounds like you got the basic idea.  Roots and wings.  Roots: security, unconditional love, togetherness, discipline, structure.  Wings: all the above plus support for whatever ambition they come  up with however you can support it.  Tie them down, but let them fly.  That's how you raise good, decent human beings.  Hold the reins, but not too tight.  And mostly, love them.  If they know that you do, you can't go too far wrong.  And I speak as both a child and a father.  And I would that, as a father, there is no greater reward, not evan the gold of a king Midas.

I learned a lot about toxic shame from John Bradshaw.  He was popular in the early '90s with a book called Healing The Shame that Binds You.  I was appalled when the Bob Dole campaign declared the problem with America is there's not enough "shame."  "Shame" is the basis of the entire advertising culture that turns the wheels of consumer captialism.  Anyway, conservatives confuse "shame" with "guilt" and "conscience."  They are not interchangeable.

It's not my values that concern me about my potential parenting skills, it's the way I'm still so bound up by my own traumatic upbrining, and other terrible events that seem to follow me like a curse through life.  

They say those who are beaten as children, and those who see family problems dealt with by blows, will become abusers themselves.  Sometimes, but not always.  I grew up with domestic violence, and I abominate it.  There doesn't have to be daily thrashings for domestic violence to work its trauma.  The fear is much worse the beating.  

Remember, too, abuse doesn't have to involve physical contact.  Most of what my dad did to me was verbal and psychological torture.  He knew just how to "get at" you.  It's like that scene in "Silence of the Lambs" where Lechter berates Starling, "You know what you look like, whith your good bag, and your cheap shoes, you look like a rube..."  That little dress-down where he opens her innermost wounds with a few words reminded me of my dad.  He was a man who would do that sort of thing to his own children.  On top of the fear and the shaming, he was a left-wing political idealogue, so it was like growing up with Joseph Stalin!

GWBush wroteAh, modern day liberal parents who can't see the difference between spanking and abuse.  They act like every kid that is spanked, even when its done right, will grow up with mental problems.  So since near everyone spanked in the 1800's and first half of the 1900's I guess everyone had problems, some logic eh?
Actually, the majority of children reared in western culture in the Victorian era were grievously injured by what I call "toxic shame."  It was the cause of a great many of society's problems.  This world of Victorian toxic shame is the world Conservatives like George F. Will yearn for.  Will once said "the goal of the Conservative movement is to move the world back to 1900."  Of course, he didn't mean business and technology, he meant social values.  Scary stuff.

Mushroom wrote As a good example, I had my 12 year old son staying with me one time.  While horseing around, I noticed he had a strong cringe reflex.  He did not understand why it was wrong, and I found out that his sister was abuseing him.
I know what you're talking about.  I developed the same "cringe reflex" in childhood because of trauma and abuse. 
I don't equate a swat on the fanny with a leather strap thrashing.  I do see that corporal punishment is too often meted out in frustration and anger.  This sends the kid the wrong message.  In general, I just don't believe in corporal punishment.

Written By: Marian on 07/01/04 at 2:27 pm

I just KNEW you didn't have children!!  What does television in a child's room have to do with bad behavior?  How many people do you know who "allow" their children "complete access to internet filth?  The public schools where I live are wonderful.  What the H**L are you talking about?
;D ;DI don't think letting a kid have a Tv is bad either.I know I was never stupid enough to be influenced to do something bad from watching a show.Anyway,a parent might want to watch a ball game,a kid might want to watch something else.Noting sisister going on.Cheers!

Written By: ladybug316 on 07/01/04 at 2:33 pm

;D ;DI don't think letting a kid have a Tv is bad either.I know I was never stupid enough to be influenced to do something bad from watching a show.Anyway,a parent might want to watch a ball game,a kid might want to watch something else.Noting sisister going on.Cheers!
I've seen all types of horrible things on television, and the only one that actually had a negative effect on me was Barney.  I want to kill him ;D

Written By: Bobby on 07/01/04 at 3:48 pm

DC AGAIN

Bobby, sounds like you have some good paranting skills there.  My X and I always thought of the teen years as a tunnel these sweet "babies" entered and became monsters.  If your good, and maybe lucky, they come out the other end as human beings.  May you and your girl frien be both skilled and lucky.  All I can say is "hold the reins, but not too tight".  Good luck with the kid and your relationship.

We are very fortunate that he is usually a good lad anyway, Carlos. We give to him so we expect a little back. 'Holding the reins' is a tricky business and sometimes we can be a little too soft or hard. We are always evaluating how we are doing and if we do something wrong how to improve. Showing the child that we are human and prone to mistakes is a good thing.

My main concern is to break the cycle of 'bad parenting' that runs in our family.  ::)  :)

Written By: Bobby on 07/01/04 at 4:16 pm

It's not my values that concern me about my potential parenting skills, it's the way I'm still so bound up by my own traumatic upbrining, and other terrible events that seem to follow me like a curse through life.  

I am very sorry to hear of your troubled past, Maxwell.

Remember, too, abuse doesn't have to involve physical contact.  Most of what my dad did to me was verbal and psychological torture.  He knew just how to "get at" you.  It's like that scene in "Silence of the Lambs" where Lechter berates Starling, "You know what you look like, whith your good bag, and your cheap shoes, you look like a rube..."  That little dress-down where he opens her innermost wounds with a few words reminded me of my dad.  He was a man who would do that sort of thing to his own children.  On top of the fear and the shaming, he was a left-wing political idealogue, so it was like growing up with Joseph Stalin!

Absolutely. My dad gave me a one way ticket in February 1996 to live with my mum. He decided that he had enough of me. I was 16 at the time and he had split my education into two in the process. I believe it was a refusal to accept the neglect we recieved from my mother previously as I lacked hygiene and any idea how to apply it in my life.

I lived with my mother in a council house and it was disgusting. There were flies everywhere (dead or alive) coming from open dustbin liner bags full of rubbish in the kitchen. The floor was always covered in junk and clothes and furniture often had a thick layer of dust on it. I had given up on any idea of cleaning up after my mother when my sister used to do it occassionally and she would make a mess only minutes later. I only wanted my mum to try. This woman was the same women who was a baptised member of the religion we were involved with and went out on the 'ministry' just to stay away from the filthy house. I was consumed with rage because of my mothers nonchalence. It got to the point were she made me count the days to when she would throw me out of the house (it would be shameful for her in such a religious position to chuck me out any earlier). She wanted me out desperately by my 18 birthday but managed it a day or two before. She threw my clothes out of my bedroom window and I knew that if I was to get them, she would lock the door on me. She got the police involved and from there I was put in a cell for a few hours while they could find me some accommodation. That day and the mental anguish previously still haunts me but I keep telling myself that it's all over.  :)

I was very fortunate that I had some wonderful friends within the religion who helped me through.

Written By: Bobby on 07/01/04 at 4:17 pm

And, it sounds like you are doing a wonderful job at that :)

Aw Cheers, 80s Cheerleader.

Written By: ladybug316 on 07/01/04 at 4:18 pm

We are very unfortunate that he is usually a good lad anyway, Carlos. We give to him so we expect a little back. 'Holding the reins' is a tricky business and sometimes we can be a little too soft or hard. We are always evaluating how we are doing and if we do something wrong how to improve. Showing the child that we are human and prone to mistakes is a good thing.

My main concern is to break the cycle of 'bad parenting' that runs in our family.  ::)  :)
The fact that you recognize this puts you on the right track.  Good luck to you.  :)

Written By: Bobby on 07/01/04 at 4:21 pm

The fact that you recognize this puts you on the right track.  Good luck to you.  :)

Thank you very much, Ladybug. It means a lot.  :)

I must add that previously I put 'unfortunate to have a good lad' when I meant 'fortunate' - doh!  ;D

Written By: lebeiw15 on 07/01/04 at 4:31 pm

How about the Teletubbies? :D

Or Boohbah ::) ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/01/04 at 4:45 pm

Absolutely. My dad gave me a one way ticket in February 1996 to live with my mum. He decided that he had enough of me. I was 16 at the time and he had split my education into two in the process. I believe it was a refusal to accept the neglect we recieved from my mother previously as I lacked hygiene and any idea how to apply it in my life.

I lived with my mother in a council house and it was disgusting. There were flies everywhere (dead or alive) coming from open dustbin liner bags full of rubbish in the kitchen. The floor was always covered in junk and clothes and furniture often had a thick layer of dust on it. I had given up on any idea of cleaning up after my mother when my sister used to do it occassionally and she would make a mess only minutes later. I only wanted my mum to try. This woman was the same women who was a baptised member of the religion we were involved with and went out on the 'ministry' just to stay away from the filthy house. I was consumed with rage because of my mothers nonchalence. It got to the point were she made me count the days to when she would throw me out of the house (it would be shameful for her in such a religious position to chuck me out any earlier). She wanted me out desperately by my 18 birthday but managed it a day or two before. She threw my clothes out of my bedroom window and I knew that if I was to get them, she would lock the door on me. She got the police involved and from there I was put in a cell for a few hours while they could find me some accommodation. That day and the mental anguish previously still haunts me but I keep telling myself that it's all over.  :)

I was very fortunate that I had some wonderful friends within the religion who helped me through.

Yeah, that all sounds pretty familiar, Bobby.  It stinks when you have parents who can't keep their own heads together long enough to look after you properly.  That's what happened to me.

Written By: Bobby on 07/01/04 at 4:51 pm

Yeah, that all sounds pretty familiar, Bobby.  It stinks when you have parents who can't keep their own heads together long enough to look after you properly.  That's what happened to me.

What's worse is that all this crap affects how you view things in the present and the future. De-programming is a very difficult thing to do. I have got over some things and old habits but I still have things to deal with on a daily basis.

I trust this is similar to yourself, Maxwell. The way I see it, we've got this far. It's a testament to our self preservation instincts.  :)

Written By: GWBush2004 on 07/01/04 at 6:23 pm

How many people do you know who "allow" their children "complete access to internet filth? 

Well here are some figures from Bill O'Reilly:

1. The average kid views their first page of internet porn at age 8.
2. The largest porn-viewing age group is 12-17, that age group views more porn then even legal adults.
3. On average, 11 million pages of porn are viewed each week by people under 18.

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/01/04 at 7:56 pm

All I can say is that if your political inclinations are genetic, I certainly support your decision not to pass them on.  Your stataistics, however are dubious at best.

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/01/04 at 7:59 pm

Given your attitude toward kids, I find it strange that you also oppose abortion.  I would think that you would want it to be manditory.

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/01/04 at 8:16 pm

Max, I'm sorry to hear this.  From what I know of you, you are a caring, intelligent, and (dare I say moral) person.  I don't mean to be intrusive, but I do hope you will triumph over the demons that haunt you, and come to find a wonderful relationship with a woman and your mutual children.  From what I know of you, you deserve the joy that only children can bring.  I don't want to get maudland (sp) but I think you can raise the kind of kids that will bring it to you.  Feel free to PM me if you like to discuss this further.

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/01/04 at 8:26 pm

There is a VAST difference between a swat and beating your child.

I never abused my children.  Never ever ever.  I can't stress that enough.  In fact, when they are 2 and under, it is a great technique to use, because the diaper absorbs all possible damage.

While I personally don't think spanking is very effective, I agree that there is a big difference between a pat on the bottom and abuse.  I always found that a good, firm NO, and a tightly held hand (or whole body, for that matter) was enough to show my displeasure.  I'm not at all suggesting that spanking = abuse.  I am questioning the message it sends and its effectiveness.  On this question, we can disagree, to a point.  Clearly, there is a point where "spanking" can become abuse, as I'm sure you would agree.  Please don't get me wrong.  I am in no way implying anything.  We all have our ways of paranting, and if your kids turn out to be good people, than your way must be as good as mine.  I can't tell you how proud I am of my kids.  I hope you feel the same about yours.

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/01/04 at 8:41 pm

We are very fortunate that he is usually a good lad anyway, Carlos. We give to him so we expect a little back. 'Holding the reins' is a tricky business and sometimes we can be a little too soft or hard. We are always evaluating how we are doing and if we do something wrong how to improve. Showing the child that we are human and prone to mistakes is a good thing.

All I have is a bit of experiance to offer, but it sounds like you guys are confronting the issues.  Of course you can never know if you are "holding the riens" too hard or too soft.  But my experience suggests that if he knows you love him, he will forgive you if you get it wrong.  The love part has to be the bottom line.  I say this..., I make this rule... because I love you.  If he believes that, he may, might, almost certainly will, resist, test.  Than you need to still be loving, and reasonable, and tough.  Man, it ain't easy.  Just hang inthere, use your best insticts, be firm and gentle, be loving and tough, and hope for  the best.  No one can give you specific advise without lots of specific info, but please feel free to PM me if you think there are any suggestions you think I might make.  I'm happy to share my own experiances with you.  Again, good luck with your relationship and your teen.

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/01/04 at 8:55 pm

Good, Lord, Bobby!!!  None of your previous posts suggested anything like this sort of trama.  I'm not surprised that it still haunts you.  Clearly, this history will always be with you.  My observation (I'm NOT a shrink) is that you are moving on, esrablishing your own live, and doing a good job of it.  You have my support.  Again PM me any time.  I will get back to you ASAP.

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/01/04 at 9:02 pm

2. The largest porn-viewing age group is 12-17, that age group views more porn then even legal adults.
3. On average, 11 million pages of porn are viewed each week by people under 18.

So teens are interested in sex.  My God, what a revelation.  I guess you were'nt?  As a teen I SUBSCRIBED to Playboy.  Mom wasn't pleased but I guess dad ok'ed it.  What does this prove that we parants of teens don't already know?  As I understand it, teen pregnancy is down (although still too high) and most rapes are NOT committed by teens.  So yeah, they're horny, what else is new?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/02/04 at 12:02 am

So teens are interested in sex.  My God, what a revelation.  I guess you were'nt?  As a teen I SUBSCRIBED to Playboy.  Mom wasn't pleased but I guess dad ok'ed it.  What does this prove that we parants of teens don't already know?  As I understand it, teen pregnancy is down (although still too high) and most rapes are NOT committed by teens.  So yeah, they're horny, what else is new?

I'm ambivalent about this issue.  Like DC, says, I saw plenty of porn as a kid.  My friends and I, our fathers had subscriptions to the various men's magazines, Playboy, Penthouse, Hustler, Club, Cheri, whatever.  In itself the porn didn't do me any psychological harm.  What hurt me was my father's piggish, misongynistic attitudes, and his crassness about sexuality.  Even so, as an adult I abominate misogyny, male chauvinism, and all that my father represented.  He was an anti-role model, if you will.
I suspect what most kids aren't getting much further than the doorways and teasers provided by the adult websites.  You can't any further without a cc number (trust me, MaxwellSmart knows  ;) ).  The trouble is the images available without adult verification are still more explicit than anything in those adult mags I snuck when I was a kid.  Larry Flynt of "Hustler" said recently, "They show material on HBO more explicit than what I was jailed for in 1974." 
These commercial porn sites also generate endless vile pop-ups for more spammy adult sites.  I'll bet those delayed pop-ups cause a lot of domestic angst!
Now, when I was first into websurfing, I wanted to see, you know, what's up.  I heard about all the sick smut out there in cyber space, and my curiosity got the better of me.  The really bizarre and depraved images that could traumatize a person aren't on those vanilla paysites.  You really have to dig for the sick stuff, which I did, and there are some images I'm still sorry I saw out there in cyberspace.  The stereotype about kids being more deft with the internet than adults is often true, so it wouldn't surprise me if kids were accessing the same kind of nauseating swill I saw.

What kind of "damage" pornography does to a child depends a lot on the circumstances of his or her home and upbringing.  Ironically, it may be the puritan right-wingers who present a more harmful environment to children.  If parents are shaming and forbidding about pornography, the kid isn't going to be able to talk to his parents if he's disturbed by what he sees.

I think the danger much greater than pornographic images is adults who pose as teens or children and troll chat rooms and messageboards for victims.

Written By: ladybug316 on 07/02/04 at 7:52 am

As usual, you missed my point and just throw more statistics at me.  My emphasis was on the word "allow" (that was YOUR word).  I don't know ANY parent who would ALLOW their child to surf the internet for porn (or smoke or sniff glue or whatever other evils you can do the math for)!! 

Yes, there are things out there that children should not be exposed to.  There may even be some 8 year old out there who watches Bill O'Reilly  :P

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/02/04 at 11:14 am

When I was kid (about 6 or 7), I remembered when we discovered where my dad kept his Playboy magazines. As a teen, I used to steal my mother's Playgirl magazines-and she knew it. My parents used to walk around the house naked. It basically taught us that the human body is natural-not taboo. While I agree that an 8 year old shouldn't be watching sex acts, I see nothing wrong him/her seeing naked bodies-we all have them. But, I would rather a kid be exposed (no pun intended) to porn then to the violence they get everyday from t.v. movies, and video games.

At the age of 5 or 6 (I think) I shocked our neighbors because I saw two of our cats "going at it" and I tried to stop them and said, "We don't want any more kittens." Yes, at that age, I knew where babies came from. I don't remember NOT knowing. I don't think it hurt me at all.

*edited-thanks to Cheerleader.  ;)

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/02/04 at 12:46 pm

Don't you mean shouldn't? ;)

Yikes! You are right. That was an oops on my part. Thanks for pointing that out to me.  :-[

Cat

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/02/04 at 1:58 pm

What kind of "damage" pornography does to a child depends a lot on the circumstances of his or her home and upbringing.  Ironically, it may be the puritan right-wingers who present a more harmful environment to children.  If parents are shaming and forbidding about pornography, the kid isn't going to be able to talk to his parents if he's disturbed by what he sees.

I think the danger much greater than pornographic images is adults who pose as teens or children and troll chat rooms and messageboards for victims.

The first thing I learned from Playboy was that women folded in twoi places and had staples in their navels  ;)  ;D

More seriously, I think the pervasiveness of porn is a reflection of this country's puritanism regarding sexuality.

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/02/04 at 2:00 pm

Yes, there are things out there that children should not be exposed to.  There may even be some 8 year old out there who watches Bill O'Reilly  :P

Now THAT would really harm them  ;)

Written By: IWannaBeAGoonie on 07/02/04 at 4:20 pm

As a mother of 3 kids, I have to say your statement is rather offensive...sure some kids are rude, arrogant, etc., but not all of them.  I have had run-ins with people who hate ALL kids and let me tell you, my kids behave better than some of them. ::)

I agree!

Written By: Bobby on 07/02/04 at 6:30 pm

All I have is a bit of experiance to offer, but it sounds like you guys are confronting the issues.  Of course you can never know if you are "holding the riens" too hard or too soft.  But my experience suggests that if he knows you love him, he will forgive you if you get it wrong.  The love part has to be the bottom line.  I say this..., I make this rule... because I love you.  If he believes that, he may, might, almost certainly will, resist, test.  Than you need to still be loving, and reasonable, and tough.  Man, it ain't easy.  Just hang inthere, use your best insticts, be firm and gentle, be loving and tough, and hope for  the best.  No one can give you specific advise without lots of specific info, but please feel free to PM me if you think there are any suggestions you think I might make.  I'm happy to share my own experiances with you.  Again, good luck with your relationship and your teen.

Thank you very much, Carlos. We try our best. Yourself and Cat sound like very thoughtful people. It is a shame to say this but your children are very lucky to have wonderful parents.  :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/02/04 at 6:39 pm

Thank you very much, Carlos. We try our best. Yourself and Cat sound like very thoughtful people. It is a shame to say this but your children are very lucky to have wonderful parents.  :)

Awww, thanks Bobby. But I really had nothing to do with it. I do love Carlos kids very much but I really don't think that I did anything in raising them. His oldest 3 were basically on their own when I came into the picture and I was basically a friend to his youngest. So I can't take any credit for them.

Cat

Written By: Bobby on 07/02/04 at 6:54 pm

Good, Lord, Bobby!!!  None of your previous posts suggested anything like this sort of trama.  I'm not surprised that it still haunts you.  Clearly, this history will always be with you.  My observation (I'm NOT a shrink) is that you are moving on, esrablishing your own live, and doing a good job of it.  You have my support.  Again PM me any time.  I will get back to you ASAP.

I have moved on. Sometimes the neurosis's and quirks I have that result from rejection, hypocrisy and neglect arise but I try to accept that is what I am. I am on relatively good terms with both parents considering what has happened and have invited both to my engagement party and resulting wedding. Forgiving was difficult (obviously you can't forget) but I think my girlfriend's support helped me progress fully to that.

I'll never forget the day we took her son to play crazy golf on a park and while he was busy playing, I sat her down on a park bench and explained to her why I do not have a close relationship with my mother. She is very close to her mother and so assumed I was the same. She was upset and angry for me but I stressed that I only told her so that she can make sense of the situation and not for me to force an impression of my mother onto her. However, it got to the point where we were invited over for tea one Saturday evening and she continued to talk negatively about past experiences and would berate me in a 'joking' manner. It was enough for my girlfriend to have a similar opinion of her as I did. She couldn't understand why I didn't get angry at my mother and I said that we were in her house, I wanted to keep my dignity and that I didn't want to lose her (my girlfriend's) respect for me. As a result, I felt a weight lift off my shoulders.

Thank you very much for your support, Carlos.  :)

Written By: Bobby on 07/02/04 at 6:57 pm

Awww, thanks Bobby. But I really had nothing to do with it. I do love Carlos kids very much but I really don't think that I did anything in raising them. His oldest 3 were basically on their own when I came into the picture and I was basically a friend to his youngest. So I can't take any credit for them.

I see.  :)

Written By: Bobby on 07/02/04 at 7:04 pm

I'm ambivalent about this issue.  Like DC, says, I saw plenty of porn as a kid.  My friends and I, our fathers had subscriptions to the various men's magazines, Playboy, Penthouse, Hustler, Club, Cheri, whatever.  In itself the porn didn't do me any psychological harm.  What hurt me was my father's piggish, misongynistic attitudes, and his crassness about sexuality.  Even so, as an adult I abominate misogyny, male chauvinism, and all that my father represented.  He was an anti-role model, if you will.

Did you look elsewhere for your role model, Max? My nan (taught me patience), grandad (taught me optimism and being happy with yourself) and uncle (taught me the importance of thinking) were my role-models (God bless them). It's a shame I had to do that but when your mum and dad are chucking cutlery at each other, what can a person do?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/02/04 at 7:15 pm

Did you look elsewhere for your role model, Max? My nan (taught me patience), grandad (taught me optimism and being happy with yourself) and uncle (taught me the importance of thinking) were my role-models (God bless them). It's a shame I had to do that but when your mum and dad are chucking cutlery at each other, what can a person do?

Well, I learned my values by picking and choosing what I though was right from various adults in my life.  I didn't respect my father's attitude toward women, but I valued his convictions about racial equality and social justice. 
One of the hardest things to explain about abusive parents is how they're not all bad all the time. I had some great times with my old man.  Yet, you never knew when the weather was going to change and he'd turn back into a monster.  In some senses it would have been easier to take if he was a monster all the time.  You can predict a monster.  You couldn't predict my dad.

Written By: Bobby on 07/02/04 at 7:30 pm

Well, I learned my values by picking and choosing what I though was right from various adults in my life.  I didn't respect my father's attitude toward women, but I valued his convictions about racial equality and social justice. 
One of the hardest things to explain about abusive parents is how they're not all bad all the time. I had some great times with my old man.  Yet, you never knew when the weather was going to change and he'd turn back into a monster.  In some senses it would have been easier to take if he was a monster all the time.  You can predict a monster.  You couldn't predict my dad.

This is why abuse is so damaging in a way. Nothing is usually black or white and it questions your perception of things. I had good times with my mum and dad to some degree (my mum has a wicked sense of humour).

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/03/04 at 4:32 pm

Cat

The chronology is right, but in terms of the youngest at least, and my son (the third), not altogether true.  Cat has encouraged and validated their goals and given them much moral support, which contributes to who they are and are becoming.  She's too modest.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/03/04 at 6:53 pm

The chronology is right, but in terms of the youngest at least, and my son (the third), not altogether true.  Cat has encouraged and validated their goals and given them much moral support, which contributes to who they are and are becoming.  She's too modest.

Awww, Thanks, Honey.  :-* :-* :-*

Cat

Written By: Bobby on 07/04/04 at 3:22 pm

Ah! That's well cool.  :)

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/05/04 at 5:44 pm

Ah! That's well cool.  :)

Not just cool, but true.  Bobby, you are obviously having an influence on your indended's teen, which is a massive responsibility which you seem to take very seriously.  Every adult who has contact with a kid shares that responsibility. 

I read a lot of different stuff, from history to politics to anthropology to (some) fiction, and what always comes out in the "real" stuff is the title of Hillary"s book It Takes a Village to Raise.. (don't remember the end).  Until the town ended the program I had a sign in my front window that said, simply "SAFE HOUSE" meaning that any kid walking the street could knock on our door and get a phone and a safe place to stay.  I don't know why the town took those posters away - I was deep in domestic issues leading to divorce at the time- but it was a good program, and in my little town, those posters were everywhere.  I use to coach T-Ball etc.  Adults need to be involved with kids, theirs and those of others to guide and nurture them.  That's what community is about.

Written By: Bobby on 07/05/04 at 5:51 pm

Not just cool, but true.  Bobby, you are obviously having an influence on your indended's teen, which is a massive responsibility which you seem to take very seriously.  Every adult who has contact with a kid shares that responsibility. 

I read a lot of different stuff, from history to politics to anthropology to (some) fiction, and what always comes out in the "real" stuff is the title of Hillary"s book It Takes a Village to Raise.. (don't remember the end).  Until the town ended the program I had a sign in my front window that said, simply "SAFE HOUSE" meaning that any kid walking the street could knock on our door and get a phone and a safe place to stay.  I don't know why the town took those posters away - I was deep in domestic issues leading to divorce at the time- but it was a good program, and in my little town, those posters were everywhere.  I use to coach T-Ball etc.  Adults need to be involved with kids, theirs and those of others to guide and nurture them.  That's what community is about.

I think the sensationalism of Paedophilia and indifference has had an effect on the way adults handle children these days. If a person put 'SAFE HOUSE' in England for that reason, Carlos, the police would want to check you out regardless. Unfortunately, it is the way of the world and so typical that the few make the majority so neurotic about our children's welfare.  ::)

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/05/04 at 6:01 pm

I think the sensationalism of Paedophilia and indifference has had an effect on the way adults handle children these days. If a person put 'SAFE HOUSE' in England for that reason, Carlos, the police would want to check you out regardless. Unfortunately, it is the way of the world and so typical that the few make the majority so neurotic about our children's welfare.  ::)

You are absolutely right, Ain't it a shame?  I'm fairly sure that other (non-western) cultures would find this incomprehensible.  What are we coming to?

Written By: Bobby on 07/05/04 at 6:05 pm

You are absolutely right, Ain't it a shame?  I'm fairly sure that other (non-western) cultures would find this incomprehensible.  What are we coming to?

A world were a child can kick you in the groin and you can't do anything about it.  :-\\

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/06/04 at 4:19 pm

A world were a child can kick you in the groin and you can't do anything about it.  :-\\

Why would a kid WANT to kick someone in the groin?  And if a kid did, might it not because the adult deserved it?  Clearly, there is a perpetual generation gap.  Kids want to assert their independance and adults want to control them.  To avoid being kicked one has to handle the reins carefully.  Too loose and the kid "runs wild", to tight and the kid "bucks you off his back", like a rodeo bronco.  In my experience, kids are not wilfully nasty.  They are just kids.

Written By: Mushroom on 07/06/04 at 4:46 pm

I'm ambivalent about this issue.  Like DC, says, I saw plenty of porn as a kid.  My friends and I, our fathers had subscriptions to the various men's magazines, Playboy, Penthouse, Hustler, Club, Cheri, whatever.

While some people see that as Porn, it is very VERY tame compared to what our kids can get now on-line.

I remember reading my grandfather's Playboy magazines.  Now, you can see more explicit things on R rated Cable shows (and even some Broadcast shows).

I did not see true "Porn" until I was 18, and was able to go to see an Adult Movie for the first time.  Now, kids can download those movies in an hour or so.  This is a vast difference.

In my job, I have spent a LOT of time cleaning all of the porn pop-ups and porn spyware from people's computers, not to mention the porn dialers.  We had one gal come in because her DAUGHTER found this site that lets her see free porn movies.  THe catch was that the computer got them from the equivelent of a 1-900 number in the Virgin Islands (how ironic!).  A $600 phone bill later, and the total reload of her computer ($80) because it was impossible to remove all of it.

Kids now have much more available then was out there even 10 years ago.  I live in Alabama, where nothing harder then R rated is allowed.  Vibrators are even illegal here.  But on-line, they can see every form of illegal smut they can find.

Now I am not a prude.  But the stuff out there now maked Playboy look as tame as the Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue.  And because I work on dozens of computers a week, I do not want to get into SOME of the things I have seen over the years, they still give me nightmares.  :o

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/06/04 at 5:24 pm

While some people see that as Porn, it is very VERY tame compared to what our kids can get now on-line.

I remember reading my grandfather's Playboy magazines.  Now, you can see more explicit things on R rated Cable shows (and even some Broadcast shows).

I did not see true "Porn" until I was 18, and was able to go to see an Adult Movie for the first time.  Now, kids can download those movies in an hour or so.  This is a vast difference.

In my job, I have spent a LOT of time cleaning all of the porn pop-ups and porn spyware from people's computers, not to mention the porn dialers.  We had one gal come in because her DAUGHTER found this site that lets her see free porn movies.  THe catch was that the computer got them from the equivelent of a 1-900 number in the Virgin Islands (how ironic!).  A $600 phone bill later, and the total reload of her computer ($80) because it was impossible to remove all of it.

Kids now have much more available then was out there even 10 years ago.  I live in Alabama, where nothing harder then R rated is allowed.  Vibrators are even illegal here.  But on-line, they can see every form of illegal smut they can find.

Now I am not a prude.  But the stuff out there now maked Playboy look as tame as the Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue.  And because I work on dozens of computers a week, I do not want to get into SOME of the things I have seen over the years, they still give me nightmares.   :o

Yeah, there is a truckload of s**t out there, and technologies that impose it on people's computers, and prevent them from getting rid of it, need to be brought under control.  Kids do have access to this stuff, and that COULD pose a problem, althought when we speak of the pubesant, I guess I'm not sure what the problem is.  They may witness various expressions of sexuality of which their parents might not approve, but I wonder what harm is done.  If we are'nt talking actual harm to either party, and are talking consulting adults willing to be photographed, well...

On another level, porn is almost as old as humanity.  There is an Egyptian mural that depicts just about every "activity" and just about every position I can concive of, so clearly, our facination with sex is nothing new.  It may be part of our biological makeup.  Human females, after all, are  the ONLY females in the animal kingdom who are receptive to sex most of the time, and don't advertise when they are fertile.  Maybe we shouldn't be called "homo Sapian", a better term might be "homo hornius".

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/06/04 at 11:37 pm

Kids now have much more available then was out there even 10 years ago.  I live in Alabama, where nothing harder then R rated is allowed.  Vibrators are even illegal here. 

Talk about your intrusive Big Government!  What business is it of the state's if the adults want to avail themselves of porn or, um, "marital aids"?

Written By: Mushroom on 07/06/04 at 11:43 pm

Talk about your intrusive Big Government!  What business is it of the state's if the adults want to avail themselves of porn or, um, "marital aids"?

This is the heart of the "Bible Belt".  And remember, if the people here really wanted it changed, it would be changed.

I live 20 miles from a classic "Dry County".  That's right, no alcohol at all in the entire county.  The county I live in is Dry on Sunday.

It is not like it is a big problem.  If you want to drink or buy more mature material, Florida is only 30 miles away.  And if you live on the other side of the state, there is Louisiana and New Orleans.

Remember, laws like these may seem restrictive, but it *IS* the choice of the people who live here.  If there was a majority that wanted them changed, they would be changed.  Just as you feel it is everybodies right to "do what they want", it should also be their right to set rules for their own communities.

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/07/04 at 4:21 pm

This is the heart of the "Bible Belt".  And remember, if the people here really wanted it changed, it would be changed.

I live 20 miles from a classic "Dry County".  That's right, no alcohol at all in the entire county.  The county I live in is Dry on Sunday.

It is not like it is a big problem.  If you want to drink or buy more mature material, Florida is only 30 miles away.  And if you live on the other side of the state, there is Louisiana and New Orleans.

Remember, laws like these may seem restrictive, but it *IS* the choice of the people who live here.  If there was a majority that wanted them changed, they would be changed.  Just as you feel it is everybodies right to "do what they want", it should also be their right to set rules for their own communities.

Although we are moving a bit off topic here,  I think we need to take a step back and look at the political process.  Especially in the "bible belt", but certainly not exclusively, no politician who wants to win, or stay in office is going to advocate the decriminalization of sin (except in Berkely CA).  So throughout the country we have "blue laws" on the books that outlaw sexy stuff - like the recently overturned (was it in Texas?) anti-sodomy laws.  My pocket dictionary defines sodomy as "unnatural sexual activity" whatever that means.  Unnatural according to whom, St Paul, Attila the Hun, Pat Robinson, Jim Bakker, Jerry Falwell, or me and my wife?  If you pick anything other than "me and my wife" (or for the non -committed "partner") I must say WRONG.  And in those places that have these restricting rules, I guess if they start spying into bed rooms, they better build more prisons.

But all this has to do with consenting adults.  I don't know whether Linda Lovelace was forced into porn, as she claimed, but it is very clear that there are lots of "sex workers" who, I guess like minimum wage workers, are doing what they have to do to get by.  Unfortunate maybe, but a fact of life.

Now to kids.  Should they be exposed to images of sexuality?  I would say that it depends.  My (then 19 years old) son gave me a porn flic that, well, I found a bit on the edge.  Didn't harm me or, him?  I think not. 

Parants know that this stuff is available, not only on the web.  It is up to them to decide.

Written By: Bobby on 07/07/04 at 5:59 pm

Why would a kid WANT to kick someone in the groin?  And if a kid did, might it not because the adult deserved it?  Clearly, there is a perpetual generation gap.  Kids want to assert their independance and adults want to control them.  To avoid being kicked one has to handle the reins carefully.  Too loose and the kid "runs wild", to tight and the kid "bucks you off his back", like a rodeo bronco.  In my experience, kids are not wilfully nasty.  They are just kids.

Lol. I wasn't being literal, Carlos. I was using a dramatic metaphor (doesn't always express properly in type). I was saying that if a child is allowed to go protected from discipline, he will 'hurt you where you most vulnerable' - your pride, your sense of moral duty, a sense of exasperation . . .

As for kids being just kids, well, I see kids as vessels or 'sponges' (not physically  ;)), Carlos. They will soak up or fill themselves on outside (negative, neutral or positive) influences (parents, other children, other adults . . .). Children are great imitators and will often show up severe negative parental conditioning (neglect, aggression, excessive criticism . . .).  :)

And that's the way my mind works on this matter.  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/07/04 at 10:54 pm

The internet does present an interesting question.  It's not illegal to possess pornography, correct?  Is it illegal to buy it via mail order?
You can drink liquor in a dry county, you just can't sell it, I assume it would be the same with porn.

Also, was the anti-porn statute voted on by referendum, or passed by the legislature with implied consent of the people?  I'm not doubting a majority would rather have the restrictions.  I'm just saying there's a philosophical differnence between direct referendum and representative legislative action. 
If you put "Single Payer Healthcare" as a national referendum question, I'll bet it would pass by a wide margin.

Written By: Mushroom on 07/08/04 at 12:24 am

Although we are moving a bit off topic here,  I think we need to take a step back and look at the political process.  Especially in the "bible belt", but certainly not exclusively, no politician who wants to win, or stay in office is going to advocate the decriminalization of sin (except in Berkely CA).

This response is to both you and Maxwell.  I am to buzzed to make 2 posts, and I do not think it is needed.

Yes, the "Blue Laws" is for the SALE of the items, not the possession.  And ironically, Dale County (the Dry County to my West) is also the home of Fort Rucker, a large Army base.  So the only place you can legally buy alchohol is in the middle of the county.

The laws for porn here are supported by most of the population.  Remember, we are also the state which had the 10 Commandments in the Courthouse last year.  And yes, people here are STILL trying to find a way to get Judge Moore back on the bench.  A recent poll here had over 60% of the population believeing he was right, and should still be a judge.  (most felt that it was a local issue - not the business of out-of-state people = but that is another topic).

If the people of Dale County really objected to being "Dry", they would change it.  Here in Dothan, we are dry on Sunday.  20 years ago, there was a law here requiring most businesses to be closed on Sunday.  That was killed when the town got large enough to make that impractible.  I believe that even our "Dry On Sunday" law will only last anohter 5 years.  Between the current growth and the planned I-10 bypass in the region, that will also have outlived it's lifespan and will go away.

To me, this goes back to the Constitution.  If the right is not reserved to the Federal Government, it is the right of the state/community.  Morality is largely a local issue, and should be decided locally.  I know I shock people around here because I have a conservative California morality.

They are surprised that this long-haired Hippie looking dude has a Lesbian as a best friend, and is not ashamed of it.  That I go to church when I can, but also write erotica in my spare time.  I am a Christian, but believe in the right of any religion, as long as it does not involve unwilling human sacrifice.

(If a person is willing to kill himself/herself for their religion, more power to them - just do not kill anybody else while you are at it)

Contrary to what I am sure most people in here think of me, I am probably as moderate as you can get.  I am against Abortion on moral grounds, but think it should be legal.  I believe in LOCAL morality laws, but think that the Government should "stay out of the bedroom".  I support "Equal Rights" enforcement, but am against "Affirmative Action".  I believe in Social Programs, but see them as a crutch, not as a lifetime entitlement.  I believe in free healthcare for those that can not afford it, but not as a replacement for our current system.

With that last sentence, I wonder if some people in here will rethink how they see me.  Am I a rabid Conservative Republican, a Moderate, or just confused?

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/08/04 at 8:13 pm

This response is to both you and Maxwell.  I am to buzzed to make 2 posts, and I do not think it is needed.

Yes, the "Blue Laws" is for the SALE of the items, not the possession.  And ironically, Dale County (the Dry County to my West) is also the home of Fort Rucker, a large Army base.  So the only place you can legally buy alchohol is in the middle of the county.

The laws for porn here are supported by most of the population.  Remember, we are also the state which had the 10 Commandments in the Courthouse last year.  And yes, people here are STILL trying to find a way to get Judge Moore back on the bench.  A recent poll here had over 60% of the population believeing he was right, and should still be a judge.  (most felt that it was a local issue - not the business of out-of-state people = but that is another topic).

If the people of Dale County really objected to being "Dry", they would change it.  Here in Dothan, we are dry on Sunday.  20 years ago, there was a law here requiring most businesses to be closed on Sunday.  That was killed when the town got large enough to make that impractible.  I believe that even our "Dry On Sunday" law will only last anohter 5 years.  Between the current growth and the planned I-10 bypass in the region, that will also have outlived it's lifespan and will go away.

To me, this goes back to the Constitution.  If the right is not reserved to the Federal Government, it is the right of the state/community.  Morality is largely a local issue, and should be decided locally.  I know I shock people around here because I have a conservative California morality.

They are surprised that this long-haired Hippie looking dude has a Lesbian as a best friend, and is not ashamed of it.  That I go to church when I can, but also write erotica in my spare time.  I am a Christian, but believe in the right of any religion, as long as it does not involve unwilling human sacrifice.

(If a person is willing to kill himself/herself for their religion, more power to them - just do not kill anybody else while you are at it)

Contrary to what I am sure most people in here think of me, I am probably as moderate as you can get.  I am against Abortion on moral grounds, but think it should be legal.  I believe in LOCAL morality laws, but think that the Government should "stay out of the bedroom".  I support "Equal Rights" enforcement, but am against "Affirmative Action".  I believe in Social Programs, but see them as a crutch, not as a lifetime entitlement.  I believe in free healthcare for those that can not afford it, but not as a replacement for our current system.

With that last sentence, I wonder if some people in here will rethink how they see me.  Am I a rabid Conservative Republican, a Moderate, or just confused?

I include your whole quote here not because I will rerspond to it point by point but because it demnonstrates what I have thought since we first encountered, which is that you are a reasonable, thoughtful, intelligent (and I just learned maybe a bit kinky ;)) person.  There is little that I can disagree with in what you say.  Let me make one point though, for your consideration.  You say you support "social programs" to help people get back on their feet, but oppose affirmative action.  Let me propose to you that affirmative action (hireing an equally qualified minority over a white) is, in may ways, the same as the (hopefully) short term provision of food stamps and AFDC.  I would suggest that when minorities occupy the same positions, statistcally, as whites, than we can do away with affirmatire action.  That is to say, to quote Martin, when all people "are judged by the content of their character" then we can close the door on this most ugly part of our history.  I wish we could say the job is done, but, my friend (and I mean that) we have a long way to go.

So, to answer your question, I'm not going to charachterise you.  You are obviously intelligent and to some extent well informed.  You clearly understand issues and  think about them.  You raise issues that are legit and need to be addressed.  I do think, though, that often your conclusions are somewhat disconnected from the values you express.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/10/04 at 6:53 pm

But some parents go overboard with hitting....It happened to me....and I did nothing to deserve it most of the time...I endured things like being thrown on the kitchen floor...being thrown up against walls...my first foster mother breaking my most treasured posessions given to me by my birth mother..what a WITCH she was!! That goes to show people that there can be such a thing as spanking becoming ABUSE.

Written By: Bobby on 07/10/04 at 7:49 pm

But some parents go overboard with hitting....It happened to me....and I did nothing to deserve it most of the time...I endured things like being thrown on the kitchen floor...being thrown up against walls...my first foster mother breaking my most treasured posessions given to me by my birth mother..what a WITCH she was!! That goes to show people that there can be such a thing as spanking becoming ABUSE.

What you went through TonyFan was not an act of discipline. It was physical (and emotional) abuse. If people don't recognise the difference between disciplinary spanking (esp. below the age of 9/10) and physical abuse they will automatically side with the 'no spanking' policy. This means that the kids that deserve a good spanking from their parents don't get it and automatically think no one has no control over them and can do what they wish ('you can't hit me, I know my rights').

Also, I am glad that the British government recently saw sense and agreed that parents have the right to discipline their children via spanking - as long as it doesn't bruise (or something like that).

Written By: resinchaser on 07/10/04 at 8:01 pm

My father slapped me when I was out of line. He never beat me, but he let me know when I had crossed the line. That all ended of course the day he went to hit me and I hit back. I can still remember the two of us fighting on the lawn and my mother hitting the two of us with her cane trying to break it up ;D

And even though I turned out pretty well, I could never see myself laying a finger on a child.

Written By: SI-MAE on 07/11/04 at 11:32 am

As a mother of 3 kids, I have to say your statement is rather offensive...sure some kids are rude, arrogant, etc., but not all of them.  I have had run-ins with people who hate ALL kids and let me tell you, my kids behave better than some of them. ::)

I'm sorry if it was a bit of a blanket statement. I obviously don't refer to every individual, that would make me a racist. I do know a few polite and well behaved children myself, but it's a significant drop from several years ago, as physical discipline is now looked down upon as abuse.

Written By: SI-MAE on 07/11/04 at 11:39 am

NO!!! The leather strap is definately NOT the answer.  Those who have been abused, abuse their wives and kids, and their kids grow up to be abusers.  There is SOOOOO much literature on this that I can't believe people still buy into it.  What does it prove to a kid?  That you  are bigger and stronger, and therefore can impose pain?  I was never shy about disciplining my kids, but beating them?  NEVER WAS AN OPTION.  There are other, MUCH more effective ways.

Did Anyone say abuse? No, we're talking in the sense of beating for the sake of discipline, not wildly beating children while in states of rage or sorrow. In response to what you are proving to the child, sometimes intimidation is the best way to get through. It's to-the-point. I know firsthand how it works, my parents used physical discipline on me, and I think it made me turn into a halfway decent person.

Written By: SI-MAE on 07/11/04 at 11:44 am

*salutes*

Sir, you are truly sent by God.

Written By: SI-MAE on 07/11/04 at 11:57 am

What hurt me was my father's piggish, misongynistic attitudes, and his crassness about sexuality.  Even so, as an adult I abominate misogyny, male chauvinism, and all that my father represented.  He was an anti-role model, if you will.

Beautiful. Simply beautiful. One of the things all of us in SI-MAE hate is male chauvinism and the like. Thank you.

Written By: Bobby on 07/11/04 at 5:44 pm

Beautiful. Simply beautiful. One of the things all of us in SI-MAE hate is male chauvinism and the like. Thank you.

What does SI-MAE stand for? Sorry if you have said it previously.

Written By: SI-MAE on 07/12/04 at 10:33 am

What does SI-MAE stand for? Sorry if you have said it previously.

It's okay, you may have not read our lesser-known Blink182 parody. {or our other one, for that matter} In that song's comment area, some one asked what SI-MAE stood for. Here I will clarify:

There are 5 members of SI-MAE, two with accounts on inthe00s. I am one of them, the other is Apricot. The other 3 members are as follows:

Crystal Shades
Icy
Father Edmund

Have you figured it out yet? If not, here's where SI-MAE comes from:

Crystal Shades, Icy, Maya, Apricot, Father Edmund.

There you go.The order means nothing really, we just picked it because it could be pronounced easily. It's pronounced like the words "sigh" and "may". Thanks!

Written By: Bobby on 07/12/04 at 5:53 pm

It's okay, you may have not read our lesser-known Blink182 parody. {or our other one, for that matter} In that song's comment area, some one asked what SI-MAE stood for. Here I will clarify:

There are 5 members of SI-MAE, two with accounts on inthe00s. I am one of them, the other is Apricot. The other 3 members are as follows:

Crystal Shades
Icy
Father Edmund

Have you figured it out yet? If not, here's where SI-MAE comes from:

Crystal Shades, Icy, Maya, Apricot, Father Edmund.

There you go.The order means nothing really, we just picked it because it could be pronounced easily. It's pronounced like the words "sigh" and "may". Thanks!

Thanks for the explanation.  :)

Written By: SI-MAE on 07/14/04 at 11:33 am

Thanks for the explanation.  :)

Anytime! I'm glad to be of help.

Written By: danootaandme on 07/15/04 at 3:52 pm

Getting back to children, it seems alot of people are saying how much they can't stand kids, etc.  Well so what. No one says you gotta like them or live with them.  When I have been subjected ot a rude child or adult I let them know what they are doing is rude, you'd be surprised how fast they back down, as for the parents, unless you have a real psycho on your hands, they back off too.  Of course I have been told I have a look that could freeze butter on a hot skillet.  My parents were both raised with the switch never to far from their thoughts, and because of that they decided that they would not spank their children.  They never yelled, and they never fought in front of us.  We grew up by example.  I'm not saying we were angels by any means, we were kids, we got time outs and "that is not the way we conduct ourselves"  We were raised to feel proud of the way we "conducted" ourselves.  This was the 50's when most of the kids in the neighbor
hood did get slapped, spanked, beaten.  Well, we all grew up fine, have jobs, and are a supportive family.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/15/04 at 7:12 pm

slapped, spanked, beaten...add to that,for me in one hellacious foster home....thrown into walls,punched,thrown on the floor hard enough to hurt my back..having a prized possession of mine -given to me when I was NINE years old by my biological parents-a nice transistor radio-smashed on the porch by my foster mom..and I was NOT told I could call DYFS and report her...D*** Sally G.(the foster mom's...ahem....savage's..name)and D*** NJ DYFS...forever!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/15/04 at 10:19 pm

I hate kids. Children of the present day are rude, arrogant, vulgar, etc. I recently had a 5 year old child use the F-Word on me at a church picnic. This was for church, people. I've had other instances where children think it's funny to swear, insult, even attack others. These are 4 and 5 year olds.

What could be causing this? I blame bad parenting and the wipe out of beating. I don't refer to blindly and ragefully pummeling a child, I believe in physical discipline. It was used on me, and I turned out halfway decent. Kids today are turning into pigs, and at the same time, physical discipline is consider more and more child abuse. What do you think?
I blame it on the way SOCIETY has become, parents being irresonsible AND the saturation of CRAP...from hollyweird garbage pics to violent video games....ultimately it falls on the parents to do a better job though...just like it always has. I do feel sorry for parents today though because in my very humble opinion, these are the hardest times to raise a family :P

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/16/04 at 5:59 pm

I blame it on the way SOCIETY has become, parents being irresonsible AND the saturation of CRAP...from hollyweird garbage pics to violent video games....ultimately it falls on the parents to do a better job though...just like it always has. I do feel sorry for parents today though because in my very humble opinion, these are the hardest times to raise a family :P
It's the same sicko society that produces abusive parents and also abusive spouses IMO. Some people just don't have respect for others.Our society is IMO getting meaner by the day-at least some people are!

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/16/04 at 6:05 pm

I sometimes wonder how kids would turn out if parents started being PARENTS again. They try too hard to be 'friends' rather than AUTHORITY in their kids' lives.....kids need DISCIPLINE and GUIDANCE from parents,not just 'a buddy'!...The responsible parents are the kind of parents I wish I actually had.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/16/04 at 10:04 pm

It's the same sicko society that produces abusive parents and also abusive spouses IMO. Some people just don't have respect for others.Our society is IMO getting meaner by the day-at least some people are!
I agree :-\\

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/16/04 at 10:07 pm

I sometimes wonder how kids would turn out if parents started being PARENTS again. They try too hard to be 'friends' rather than AUTHORITY in their kids' lives.....kids need DISCIPLINE and GUIDANCE from parents,not just 'a buddy'!...The responsible parents are the kind of parents I wish I actually had.
My boys respect the fact that my ex and I finally split up instead of fighting a lot.....after Blaine died our marraige..although getting stronger for a time.... really went down the tubes. They respect us both for not walking on egg-shells around them and being honest with them. We had the fortune to be friends with them but we were parents FIRST.... and they are better today for that :)

Written By: Bobby on 07/17/04 at 6:25 am

My boys respect the fact that my ex and I finally split up instead of fighting a lot.....after Blaine died our marraige..although getting stronger for a time.... really went down the tubes. They respect us both for not walking on egg-shells around them and being honest with them. We had the fortune to be friends with them but we were parents FIRST.... and they are better today for that :)

Very cool, RockandRollFan. When parents fight and talk badly about each other in front of the children, their role-models are questioned or even threatened. A bit of honesty goes a long way, well done.  :)

Written By: gemini61 on 07/17/04 at 9:12 am

I always wondered where the notion came from that you can't be friends with your kids. My kids are 15 and 21 and I thank god that we are friends! They know I'm their parent, I know where to draw the line. I don't think you have to rule them with an iron fist to show them you are AUTHORITY. They're great girls, and of course why wouldn't I want to be friends with the two people I love most in this world?!  :)

Written By: Dagwood on 07/17/04 at 9:41 am

I always wondered where the notion came from that you can't be friends with your kids. My kids are 15 and 21 and I thank god that we are friends! They know I'm their parent, I know where to draw the line. I don't think you have to rule them with an iron fist to show them you are AUTHORITY. They're great girls, and of course why wouldn't I want to be friends with the two people I love most in this world?!  :)

I agree.  You just need to know when to put the friend part away and be the parent.  I know I want to be my daughters friend, but I also want her to know who is boss.  I will not give on the rules just so she thinks I am a cool mom.  Of course she is only 6 now so it is easy...I still have the teenage years to go.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/17/04 at 12:25 pm

My parents split when I was 8-and like any normal kid, I hoped that they would get back together. But of course, that never happened and I learned to accept it. Even after long-term relationships with other people, my parents still to this day make little digs about each other. I used to believe all those stories that I had heard growing up about my dad from my mother-and the stories about my mother from my dad. It took me many years to realize that they both still harbor anger against each other and I have told each of them on many occations that I don't want to hear it. That is between the two of them. Unfortunately, too many people do that when a relationship splits. They put the kids in the middle. I am very happy to say that Carlos DOES NOT do that (can't say the same for his ex because I don't see her on a regular basis but I really don't think she does).

Both my parents really surprised me at our wedding. My dad thanked me for not "making" him dance with my mother. Knowing how they feel about each other, I wouldn't do that-I wanted my wedding to be a happy occasion and I knew they wouldn't be happy if I did that. They were on the best behavior that day. At one point at the reception, I turned around and they were dancing with each other-I was in SHOCK!!! They did that on their own. That was one of the best wedding gifts they could have given me. It showed me that sometimes parents can act like grown-ups.  ;)

Cat

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/17/04 at 5:28 pm

I'm NOT saying it's wrong to be a friend to your kids...just some parents forget the PARENTING part...

Written By: Ripp on 07/17/04 at 6:10 pm

OI! You do know this is a conversation about Children's bad behaviour in front of a CHILD, don't you?! Sheesh! Some people never learn respect.

Frankly, I have never used a swear word in my LIFE. I think physical punishment is the worst of all. That doesn't teach the kid to behave well. It just teaches the child that you're going to hurt them, and you're to be scared of.

I really belive "sir" and "ma'am" or "madam" are just silly to say. Nothing against it, just sounds a little silly unless you're infront of royalty.

Believe me, I'm a child.

I know this first-class.

Written By: danootaandme on 07/17/04 at 6:41 pm

I would think that the last place I would use "sir" or "ma'am" would be to royalty.  I would
reserve it for someone who had actually done something, beyond being born, to deserve it.

Written By: Bobby on 07/17/04 at 7:47 pm

OI! You do know this is a conversation about Children's bad behaviour in front of a CHILD, don't you?! Sheesh! Some people never learn respect.

Frankly, I have never used a swear word in my LIFE. I think physical punishment is the worst of all. That doesn't teach the kid to behave well. It just teaches the child that you're going to hurt them, and you're to be scared of.

This is where the grown up/child divide comes in. Quite often because both have a fixed way on percieving the other. Children view grown ups as 'squares' and grown ups view children as 'brats'. Sweeping generalisations on Maya's part may not help the cause. I hate to use cliches but we were all young once.

The fact that you are a respectful person is very nice to hear.  :)

I really belive "sir" and "ma'am" or "madam" are just silly to say. Nothing against it, just sounds a little silly unless you're infront of royalty.

Believe me, I'm a child.

I know this first-class.

I'm going with Danoota here. The monarchy doesn't deserve those respectful terms for the same reasons.

Written By: Ripp on 07/18/04 at 9:42 am

I'm just saying that to me, I'd say Sir and Ma'am in front of royalty. I would also say it in front of others, too, but to me it sounds more in place when you're talking to royalty. Nothing against it, like I said.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/18/04 at 8:46 pm

I think that some PARENTS should be taught CARING and COMPASSION right along with their kids. Especially if their 'darling'(s) tease and bully others!

Written By: SI-MAE on 07/21/04 at 11:51 am

It's when people go too far on the "friend" part that I have a problem with.

I believe that the line between buddy and parent is too frequently crossed or nearly crossed.  People believe that friends can't be disciplinarians. I say, it's fine to have a good relationship with your kids; but you are not their friend, you are the parent still.

Check for new replies or respond here...