» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Dean for vice president group plans floor fight at dem. convention.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 07/02/04 at 3:07 pm

The National Draft Dean for VP Committee (NDVPC) announced today that it would use Democratic party rules allowing draft petitions to mount a floor fight at the Democratic National Convention in Boston July 25 to put former Vermont Governor Howard Dean's name in contention for the party's VP nomination. Recent polls show Nader's candidacy engulfing Kerry's slim margins over Bush in 15 out of 18 battleground states. "People are suddenly realizing that Nader is going to cost Kerry this election. Zogby and Fox polling show that only a Kerry/Dean ticket neutralizes the shift to Nader," says NDVPC member Melinda Lachance. "A draft Dean movement in Boston is essential to make this Kerry/Dean ticket a reality." Tapping into the large, still-connected nationwide network of Dean supporters and delegates, and reaching out to delegates of other candidates, NDVPC has found early success. Delegates from at least 18 states have agreed to participate in a draft petition on the convention floor and promote it among fellow delegates. "This is democracy in action," said Michael Meurer, NDVPC co-Chair. "It only takes 300 delegates to mount a draft petition at the convention, and we believe we already have that level of support." Meurer added, "Dean is the only VP candidate who genuinely excites the progressive base of the party." The draft Dean initiative is being launched by the same group running the http://www.draftdeanforvp.org online petition drive. The draft Dean petition has nearly 7,000 signatures from all 50 states and is expected to pass 10,000 before the convention. A NDVPC-sponsored VP poll has also drawn over 550 responses. Tabulated petition results and VP poll results will be sent by special courier to Kerry campaign manager Mary Beth Cahill during a NDVPC press conference prior to the convention. NDVPC 's website will be updated daily with new research, polls, news coverage and live reports from Dean delegates on the floor of the convention.

--Hardcore deaneacks are back!

Subject: Re: Dean for vice president group plans floor fight at dem. convention.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/02/04 at 4:37 pm

I'm a little behind on my civics here.  Can a draft pick by the delegate override the choice of a candidate?
Kerry might not go with Edwards or Gephardt after all, it might very well by Sen. Biden.
As long as Big Business is calling the shots in this country, a true progressive like Dean doesn't have a chance!

Subject: Re: Dean for vice president group plans floor fight at dem. convention.

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/03/04 at 4:51 pm

I'm a little behind on my civics here.  Can a draft pick by the delegate override the choice of a candidate?
Kerry might not go with Edwards or Gephardt after all, it might very well by Sen. Biden.
As long as Big Business is calling the shots in this country, a true progressive like Dean doesn't have a chance!

As to Dem Party rules I can't comment.

I supported Dean in the primaries, and gave him more $$$ than I gave to Bernie Sanders, my Congressman.  I agree that he is +/- progressive in many areas but is also not so great in others.  I do think that he is an honest man (for a politician), and thought that he could have trounced Bush, while Kerry will just squeek by. 

As a VP candidate, he should be a non-starter.  Two N.E. "liberals" on the ticket?  Disaster.  What are those Deaniacs thinking?

Check for new replies or respond here...