» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Racial Stereotypes in current children's programming... "The Proud Family"

Written By: woops on 07/04/04 at 7:26 pm

No, I'm not targeting "South Park" nor any animated programming aimed towards adults.

Nor cartoons from the 1940's like "Herr Meets Hare", a WWII Bugs Bunny cartoon, & Bob Clampett's infamous Snow White parody.

Recently, I watched a couple episodes of "The Proud Family" , and it featured many stereotypes of Asians, Hispanics, whites, blacks, etc. that I've haven't seen in current children'sprogramming.

Especially the snobbish Hispanic girl & her father who's a bigger stereotype than Speedy Gonzales, which was banned from Cartoon Network some time ago.

Unlike the hispanic character on "Proud Family", Speedy was quick, smart, and not lazy.

http://www.rateitall.com/i-25046-proud-family.aspx

More about the show...
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0293737/

What's your opinion.  Good or bad?

IMO, it's a dumb topic, but I'm confused that this show is on air and the classic WWII & Speedy cartoons are shelved.

They should be viewed for historical purposes in it's proper context & late night for animation fans, historians, and mature audiences.

But for "The Proud Family", I surprised that the FCC, NAACP, etc. didn't sue the Disney Channel.

BTW, I'm a fan of "South Park" &  don't discriminate against any race, culture, religion, etc.  IMO, the best & only thing to do is switch the channel if "The Proud Family"  is on.

Subject: Re: Racial Stereotypes in current children's programming... "The Proud Family"

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/04/04 at 8:30 pm

I have never seen "The Proud Family," but I don't doubt the stereotypes.  Stereotypes--whether positive or negative--are the province of television.  Why stereotypes?  Because they're simple and predictable.  The entire driving force behind television is to sell you things.  The complexity of thought it takes to confront a non-stereotypical world happens to be hazardous to the consumer impulse. 
Before I would complain about "Proud" or any other program, I would confront television commercials.  The stereotypes and prejudices in the programming are nowhere near as destructive as the the messages imparted to the viewer by commercials--especially to children.

Subject: Re: Racial Stereotypes in current children's programming... "The Proud Family"

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/04/04 at 10:14 pm

I have never seen "The Proud Family," but I don't doubt the stereotypes.  Stereotypes--whether positive or negative--are the province of television.  Why stereotypes?  Because they're simple and predictable.  The entire driving force behind television is to sell you things.  The complexity of thought it takes to confront a non-stereotypical world happens to be hazardous to the consumer impulse. 
Before I would complain about "Proud" or any other program, I would confront television commercials.  The stereotypes and prejudices in the programming are nowhere near as destructive as the the messages imparted to the viewer by commercials--especially to children.

As long as people try to shove this "embrace diversity" crap down our throats, you can expext stereotyping to flourish and even grow.

The concept of America as a "melting pot" means that ethnic cultures must blend into a unique "American Culture".  Ethnic groups that self-segregate, and in some cases, that statistiucally embrace criminality and lack of commitment to the nuclear family, bring on stereotyping collectively.  And statistically we can show this in America today.

In 2004, it is MUCH LESS COMMON to hear of people stereotyping Italians, Poles, Slovaks, etc (immigrant groups of the early 1900's), because these ethnic groups worked hard to ASSIMILATE into the collective American culture.  But "some" ethnic groups today want you to think that assimilation is somehow "bad".  And so the stereotypes are fed and individuals suffer.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 07/04/04 at 10:26 pm

than Speedy Gonzales, which was banned from Cartoon Network some time ago.

Thats about the most idiotic thing i've ever heard.

Written By: Jessica on 07/04/04 at 11:55 pm

Oh jesus. It's a fricking kids cartoon. Kids are not going to understand the concept of stereotyping or anything. They just want to be entertained. ::)

I approve of this show much more than some other Disney stuff, like the Tar Baby cartoons or the book aimed at children where they refer to African Americans as n*****s. :P

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/05/04 at 1:14 am

As long as people try to shove this "embrace diversity" crap down our throats, you can expext stereotyping to flourish and even grow.

The concept of America as a "melting pot" means that ethnic cultures must blend into a unique "American Culture".  Ethnic groups that self-segregate, and in some cases, that statistiucally embrace criminality and lack of commitment to the nuclear family, bring on stereotyping collectively.  And statistically we can show this in America today.

In 2004, it is MUCH LESS COMMON to hear of people stereotyping Italians, Poles, Slovaks, etc (immigrant groups of the early 1900's), because these ethnic groups worked hard to ASSIMILATE into the collective American culture.  But "some" ethnic groups today want you to think that assimilation is somehow "bad".  And so the stereotypes are fed and individuals suffer.

European immigrants in the 19th and early 20th centuries were exploited for cheap labor and nobody gave a d#mn about their "assimilation."  The upper classes wanted them out of sight and the working class "Nativists" wanted them to go home.
These Irish, Italian, Poles, Slovaks, and what have you, held their heritages close.  It was all they had. 
The difference today is economic.  Bilingual education, for instance, is blamed for later academic failures and consequent occupational failures of children who speak a language other than English first.  Well, in the old days, academic success was not required or even expected of the "lower classes."  There were plenty of jobs were one could earn a living and support a family without much literacy at all. Not true today.  Thus, the concern itself for literacy and language skills is well placed.
What bugs me is the way the right-wing frames the issue.  They blame teachers, parents, and pop culture, and never the decimation of the blue collar economy.  Right now, even white collar jobs are being outsourced.  The same fascist bosses are now telling us that outsourcing is no big deal.  But I digress.
African Americans are not immigrants.  The only ethnic group with a longer history in New York is the Dutch.  The American southwest was Spanish-speaking Mexico for longer than it has been English-speaking United States.
Both African Americans and Mexicans/Mexican-Americans have suffered racist economic exploitation by the agricultural and industrial powers of the U.S. for hundreds of years.  The exploitation continues today.
The origins of all the ethnic stereotypes you see in the media come from the white establishment.  Stereotypes were a useful tool in reducing the humanity of the exploited.  The lazy Mexican on siesta, the big black mammy maid, and the sage Chinaman all had their role in normalizing the economic hierarchy.
Stereotypes are now packaged and sold to kids, particularly as violent and misogynist hip-hop culture.  Conservatives bemoan this phenomenon.  But who is selling it?  Multinational mega-corporations.  Pat Buchanan, Bill O'Reilly, and Bill Cosby all make a killing off dividends from corporate investments.  If they want me to take their complaints seriously, let 'em pull out of the Wall Street game first.

Written By: AL-B on 07/05/04 at 12:47 pm

Thats about the most idiotic thing i've ever heard.
I heard they wound up bringing Speedy Gonzalez back, because there was a huge outcry from the Hispanic community who LOVE Speedy Gonzalez.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/05/04 at 1:40 pm

I have never seen the Proud Family so I really can't comment. There was one children's show that discussed diverisity which I thought was great was the Puzzle Place. There were six charactors- black, Asian-American, Native-American, Jewish, Hispanic, and of course white. They celebrated their differences as well as their similarities. There was one episode where they were talking about their eyes and how they were different. They realize that they weren't "wrong" just different. And all these charactors were looking at each other's eyes. I just thought it was great.

Cat

Written By: lorac614 on 07/05/04 at 2:00 pm

I'm not a fan of the show, but my daughter and I have watched it a few times.

You asked why the NAACP did not get involved, I would think that since the show was created by an African-American man and the majority of the people doing voices are also African-American (as well as other ethnicities) makes a big difference, it not like it's a bunch of white guys trying to sound Asian, Black, Hispanic or whatever.  Does that make any sense?

Written By: woops on 07/05/04 at 3:23 pm

I'm not a fan of the show, but my daughter and I have watched it a few times.

You asked why the NAACP did not get involved, I would think that since the show was created by an African-American man and the majority of the people doing voices are also African-American (as well as other ethnicities) makes a big difference, it not like it's a bunch of white guys trying to sound Asian, Black, Hispanic or whatever.  Does that make any sense?

It does make sense.   :)

IMO, most of the WWII & other stereotypical cartoons (except "Speedy Gonzales", which I don't have a problem with) are far worse than most seen on "The Proud Family" and even  "South Park" & "The Family Guy".

Like many stereotypes that are nolonger acceptable like  shown in many cartoons from the '30's & '40's, especially from the infamous 'Censored 11', which were 11 banned Warner Bros. cartoons that were banned in 1968 that dealt with African American stereotypes like "All This & Rabbit Stew" & the mentioned "Snow White' parody. (The title itself is also too offensive).

Though I still think some of the content is a bit too "over the top" for a kids' show that would be more suited for a show aimed at teens & adults like "Mad TV" & "South Park".

I heard they wound up bringing Speedy Gonzalez back, because there was a huge outcry from the Hispanic community who LOVE Speedy Gonzalez.

True, but unfortunately, The Cartoon Network hardly airs Looney Tunes for a bunch of their current programming  like "Powerpuff Girls". And an occasional Scooby Doo or Tom & Jerry, which ironically still features a stereotypical maid, but those cartoons were done in the 1940's & 1950's. When segregation & discrimination was common. It's a reminder of what times were like. And how times have changed since then.

IMO, I think Looney Tunes are now shown on Boomerang.

BTW, I'm not a animation historian nor fan, but "Looney Tunes" should be looked as classic films & tv shows not just "kids' programming

Plus, some should be un-cut & viewed in it's proper historical context for fans, historians, and mature audiences.

Subject: Re: Racial Stereotypes in current children's programming... "The Proud Family

Written By: lorac614 on 07/05/04 at 6:39 pm

Though I still think some of the content is a bit too "over the top" for a kids' show that would be more suited for a show aimed at teens & adults like "Mad TV" & "South Park".

I did notice that they show it later in the day, about 5-ish.  I agree about the content and that small children should probably not watch it, but then again I think Spongebob is more of an adult cartoon.  My three year old loves it, but half of the jokes she just doesn't understand.

Written By: woops on 11/03/04 at 11:25 pm

Dumb news...Disney canned "The Proud Family" for complaints of the show being racist.  :P  >:(

Source: this thread from another board that was posted on TV Tome

http://www.sitcomsonline/boards/showthread.php?s=&threadid=120664

Has politically correctness gone overboard?

Atleast Boomerang probably air a couple Speedy Gonzales, who I have nothing against since I'm Hispanic myself, on their Looney Tunes block.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/04/04 at 12:48 am

Didn't you want Disney to can the Proud Family? How is it dumb news? One hand you say it's stereotyping and on the other hand you mention political correctness going overboard?

I'm trying to figure out why the Hispanic/Latino community admires Speedy Gonzales. He is a major stereotype, not something to be admired for.

The concept of America as a "melting pot" means that ethnic cultures must blend into a unique "American Culture". Ethnic groups that self-segregate, and in some cases, that statistiucally embrace criminality and lack of commitment to the nuclear family, bring on stereotyping collectively. And statistically we can show this in America today.

In 2004, it is MUCH LESS COMMON to hear of people stereotyping Italians, Poles, Slovaks, etc (immigrant groups of the early 1900's), because these ethnic groups worked hard to ASSIMILATE into the collective American culture. But "some" ethnic groups today want you to think that assimilation is somehow "bad". And so the stereotypes are fed and individuals suffer.

How unfortunate that you think these way. Oh, by the way, I guess your ears were closed to the Polish jokes always said, the complaints from Italian-American groups regarding "The Sopranos", etc.

Stereotyping stem from those that, instead of acknowledging their ignorance of various groups, "create" generalizations of groups. Generalizations, much like your statement, " statistically embrace criminality and lack of commitment to the nuclear family".

Written By: woops on 11/04/04 at 1:27 am

Didn't you want Disney to can the Proud Family? How is it dumb news? One hand you say it's stereotyping and on the other hand you mention political correctness going overboard?

I'm trying to figure out why the Hispanic/Latino community admires Speedy Gonzales. He is a major stereotype, not something to be admired for.

I didn't want to ban "The Proud Family". (That thread was done months ago) I just wanted it to have a disclaimor & tone down. Since it's already on a later time slot.

And Speedy Gonzales isn't that offensive. He was quick, smart, and not a slob. He's no different than Pepe La Pew, who's supposedly French, chases women, & smell.  What about that.

Written By: Bobby on 11/04/04 at 6:05 am

Absolutely. He was a hero not a stereotype (though the cartoon did feature the stereotype mexican taking a nap with his hat over his face). If a cartoon/programme was made about the English and that we were always stuffy, soccer hooligan, tea-drinking eccentrics, that wouldn't bother me because it is fiction and general.

I was listening to old episodes of 'Till death us do part' episodes of 1972 (British equivalent of Archie Bunker) yesterday and the stuff that I heard would infuriate a lot of people here - it really would. However, the writer Johnny Speight is nowhere near like Alf Garnett who is reflecting on how bigotted Alf is, not how correct he is.

Written By: Abercrombie86 on 11/04/04 at 12:24 pm

Recently, I watched a couple episodes of "The Proud Family" , and it featured many stereotypes of Asians, Hispanics, whites, blacks, etc. that I've haven't seen in current children'sprogramming.

yeah, i've noticed. what is up with that any way?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/04/04 at 1:08 pm

I have seen only one episode of the Proud Family and I must say that I actually thought it was funny. It was about when one of the girls (don't know the character's name) was running for student council/class president-something like that. I thought it was funny because it was basically discribed how national election campaigns seem to run. Some of the jokes I don't think kids would get.

Cat

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/05/04 at 1:40 am

Pepe Le Pew was creepy in that he would force himself on the cat in a stalking way! It was crazy.

Tanya

Written By: Bobby on 11/05/04 at 8:08 am

Pepe Le Pew was creepy in that he would force himself on the cat in a stalking way! It was crazy.

Tanya

It was a running joke (like with most of Warner Brothers cartoons). The cat would look like a skunk by an accidental incident (usually a pot of paint was involved) and Pepe would believe the cat was a skunk. I believe the cartoon was responding to the way French people would obstinately go out of their way to find love (albeit in a seemingly stalking way lol). Pepe would only attempt to squeeze and kiss her once he caught her and nothing sinister was insinuated.

Written By: woops on 11/20/04 at 1:52 am

Stereotypes still exist unfortunately, for better or worse.

Recently, I saw Mexican stereotypes on a new cartoon called "Hi Hi AmiYumi", a cartoon about a Japanese pop duo, that are potrayed as dumb & all were  wearing sombreros (hats).  :(  Far worse than Lacienga & her father from "The Proud Family" & Jennifer Lopez caricature on "South Park".

Thankfully, I just changed the channel.

A few weeks ago, I read a thread on the Toon Zone board titled "Are You Offended" that had comments from Toon Zone  members of different ethnic groups about their favorite cartoons that featured sterotypes, including Speedy Gonzales, "A Feather In His Hare",  "Tin Pan Alley Cats", etc.

Though as a Latino, I actually found the Jennifer Lopez episode of "South Park" funny. Only because she's a snob  like the typical "Diva" stereotype read on tabloids about J. Lo & Madonna.   :) (I'm one of those people who look past the negativity)
And Speedy Gonzales, like said on another post, is a hero. Since he has the wits of Bugs & the speed of the Road Runner.

And one of the creators of South Park happens to be Jewish and the cartoon also pokes fun of Jews and every relgion, race, social class, etc. But the whole show actually makes fun of discrimination like some Norman Lear sitcoms from the '70's.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/20/04 at 4:36 am

I like South Park b/c they poke fun at everybody, so no one's safe. As for the JLo thing, they were making fun of her diva attitude and questionable talent. It was really funny, though.

Tanya

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/22/04 at 2:12 pm

South Park pretty much makes fun of everyone, my favorite charecter is Cartman, because he is jerk and does and says stupid things, which eventually ends up back firing on him. The Jennifer Lopez episode on South Park was poking fun at Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck's relationship at the time, how the media was continuingly focusing on it, Jennifer Lopez's lack of talent, and her divaness. They also poke fun of Barbara Steisand from time to time, espcially in the Mecha-Streisand episode.

Written By: Mushroom on 11/22/04 at 2:40 pm

European immigrants in the 19th and early 20th centuries were exploited for cheap labor and nobody gave a d#mn about their "assimilation."  The upper classes wanted them out of sight and the working class "Nativists" wanted them to go home.

And how many of them were exploited by their fellow immigrants?

I bet that the majority were exploited by people that came over before them.  Traditionally, most gangs and exploiters take from their own.  Chinese gangs prey on Chinese immigrants, Irish thugs prey on Irish immigrants, and so on.

I remember reading somewhere that most of the 18th century sweatshops were owned by immigrants (or children of immigrants).  They would befriend the newcommers, and give them work.  And while low, the wages paid to somebody just arriving seemed huge.  But this allwed them to sink into a trap they could not escape from.  Even the US army did this, having immigrant German and Irish soldiers recruit people right at the docks where they landed.

Written By: Leo Jay on 11/22/04 at 5:40 pm

Ethnic groups that self-segregate, and in some cases, that statistiucally embrace criminality and lack of commitment to the nuclear family, bring on stereotyping collectively.  And statistically we can show this in America today.

What balony.

Written By: Mushroom on 11/22/04 at 6:55 pm

What balony.

How about truth?  Certainly not all of it, but a lot of that statement is true.

Having lived in Los Angeles for almost half of my life, I can assure you that it is true.  My inlaws have lived here for over 25 years, yet neither of them speaks English.  I even knew 2nd (and even 3rd generation) immigrants who barely know English.

A lot of them ghettoize themselves.  They make no attempts to either learn the local culture, nor to learn the local language.  Go to South LA (Hispanic), Chinatown in any large city, Fairfax district in LA (Jewish), or many other areas and you will see this in action.

When people make no effort to join the community at large, they are basically asking to be ostracized and excluded.  This is what allowed Germany to do what it did to the Jews prior and during World War II.  A lot of them tried to live seperate from their surrounding community.  This ensured that when Hitler and his goons removed them, nobody cared.  After all, they were outsiders, right?

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/22/04 at 8:35 pm

How about truth?  Certainly not all of it, but a lot of that statement is true.

Having lived in Los Angeles for almost half of my life, I can assure you that it is true.  My inlaws have lived here for over 25 years, yet neither of them speaks English.  I even knew 2nd (and even 3rd generation) immigrants who barely know English.

A lot of them ghettoize themselves.  They make no attempts to either learn the local culture, nor to learn the local language.  Go to South LA (Hispanic), Chinatown in any large city, Fairfax district in LA (Jewish), or many other areas and you will see this in action.

When people make no effort to join the community at large, they are basically asking to be ostracized and excluded.  This is what allowed Germany to do what it did to the Jews prior and during World War II.  A lot of them tried to live seperate from their surrounding community.  This ensured that when Hitler and his goons removed them, nobody cared.  After all, they were outsiders, right?

I do see your point. It does happen, especially here in L.A. A lot of the newcomers (either through illegal or legal means) refuse to learn the language and the norms. To do this doesn't have to mean forgoing your own traditions, but it can help you achieve greater success in your new homeland. The worst part is that they send their children to school and teachers (including myself) have to teach them something despite a low receptive opportunity from the students. Sorry, but I don't like to neglect my other students b/c we have a new student each month.

Tanya

Written By: Hairspray on 11/23/04 at 10:32 am

Another reason the Hispanic community probably enjoys Speedy is because aside from the fact that he is smart, fast and a lead character, they can take a joke when they see him take time out for his siestas and such other stereotypes.

I can certainly understand offense taken by some from some of today's blatantly controversial cartoons like South Park which is, in all fairness, aimed at adults. But Speedy? Ludicrous!

Now, I do agree that some of them older cartoons are extremely racist, stereotypical and tremendously politically incorrect to say the least. I was just stickin'-up for Speedy Gonzalez. ;)

As far as "The Proud Family" -

I've never seen it, so I can't really comment on it.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/23/04 at 3:12 pm

I don't offended as much by South Park b/c they get everybody. No one's safe on that show.

Tanya

Check for new replies or respond here...