» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Hey, Michael Moore...work on this...

Written By: saver on 07/05/04 at 1:45 pm

Anyone remember this??
It was 1987! At a lecture the other day they were playing an old news video of Lt.Col. Oliver North testifying at the Iran-Contra hearings during the Reagan Administration.

There was Ollie in front of God and country getting the third degree, but what he said was stunning!

He was being drilled by a senator; "Did you not recently spend close to $60,000 for a home security system?"

Ollie replied, "Yes, I did, Sir."

The senator continued, trying to get a laugh out of the audience, "Isn't that just a little excessive?"

"No, sir," continued Ollie.

"No? And why not?" the senator asked.

"Because the lives of my family and I were threatened, sir."

"Threatened? By whom?" the senator questioned.

"By a terrorist, sir" Ollie answered.

"Terrorist? What terrorist could possibly scare you that much?"

"His name is Osama bin Laden, sir" Ollie replied.

At this point the senator tried to repeat the name, but couldn't pronounce it, which most people back then probably couldn't A couple of people laughed at the attempt. Then the senator continued. Why are you so afraid of this man?" the senator asked.

"Because, sir, he is the most evil person alive that I know of", Ollie answered.

"And what do you recommend we do about him?" asked the senator.

"Well, sir, if it was up to me, I would recommend that an assassin team be formed to eliminate him and his men from the face of the earth."
(and many of us laughed and mocked him)

The senator disagreed with this approach, and that was all that was shown of the clip.

By the way, that senator was Al Gore

Also:

Terrorist pilot Mohammad Atta blew up a bus in Israel in 1986. The Israelis captured, tried and imprisoned him. As part of the Oslo agreement with the Palestinians in 1993, Israel had to agree to release so-called "political prisoners."

However, the Israelis would not release any with blood on their hands, The American President at the time, Bill Clinton, and his Secretary of State, Warren Christopher, "insisted" that all prisoners be released.

Thus Mohammad Atta was freed and eventually thanked the US by flying an airplane into Tower One of the World Trade Center. This was reported by many of the American TV networks at the time that the terrorists were first identified. It was censored in the US from all later reports.

Do you think the American public must be made aware of this fact?

Subject: Re: Hey, Michael Moore...work on this...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/05/04 at 2:02 pm

Anyone remember this??
It was 1987! At a lecture the other day they were playing an old news video of Lt.Col. Oliver North testifying at the Iran-Contra hearings during the Reagan Administration.

There was Ollie in front of God and country getting the third degree, but what he said was stunning!

He was being drilled by a senator; "Did you not recently spend close to $60,000 for a home security system?"

Ollie replied, "Yes, I did, Sir."

The senator continued, trying to get a laugh out of the audience, "Isn't that just a little excessive?"

"No, sir," continued Ollie.

"No? And why not?" the senator asked.

"Because the lives of my family and I were threatened, sir."

"Threatened? By whom?" the senator questioned.

"By a terrorist, sir" Ollie answered.

"Terrorist? What terrorist could possibly scare you that much?"

"His name is Osama bin Laden, sir" Ollie replied.

At this point the senator tried to repeat the name, but couldn't pronounce it, which most people back then probably couldn't A couple of people laughed at the attempt. Then the senator continued. Why are you so afraid of this man?" the senator asked.

"Because, sir, he is the most evil person alive that I know of", Ollie answered.

"And what do you recommend we do about him?" asked the senator.

"Well, sir, if it was up to me, I would recommend that an assassin team be formed to eliminate him and his men from the face of the earth."
(and many of us laughed and mocked him)

The senator disagreed with this approach, and that was all that was shown of the clip.

By the way, that senator was Al Gore

This is FALSE!!!

http://www.snopes.com/rumors/north.htm

Cat

Written By: saver on 07/05/04 at 2:05 pm

Thanks cat..usually Irun it throughthelegendsite.. I will see if the moderator can eliminate it...

This was passed to me through the internet as usual..(they do say in a censored document) that sounded like the giveaway.

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 07/05/04 at 2:10 pm

I'm confused.  If there's a video of Oliver North saying that, how can you say it's false?  I'm not so sure that snopes.com even tells the truth about everything.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/05/04 at 2:19 pm

how can you say it's false?  I'm not so sure that snopes.com even tells the truth about everything.

Not just on that story either.  There is another story that snopes.com says is false, involving Rod Stewart, a football (soccer) team, and a stomach pump.  I have a buddy over in England who was at the emergency room that day and he swears it is true.

Written By: saver on 07/05/04 at 2:33 pm

Hmm, was gonna ask the moderator to eliminate this topic at their discretion?

Maybe SNOPES should be the subject....

(not that everything is off by them)...I remember for the longest time they denied the "Newlywed Game" famous clip until they saw it.
Now they say it is true...the host even didn't remember it until it showed up..but he had no memory with all the shows anyway.

???

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/05/04 at 2:35 pm

Thank you Catwoman, and thank you Snopes.com.  You saved me a few minutes of Googling.
As Snopes points out, Osoma was on our side as a "freedom fighter" in Afghanistan against the Soviets.  The terrorist in question regarding Ollie's sixteen thousand dollar home security system was Abu Nidal.  Furthermore, Al Gore was not on the Senate Select Committee on Secret Military Assistance to Iran and the Nicaraguan Opposition.

I'm only surprised that the source of this rumor wasn't the Weekly Standard or the Washington Times.

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/05/04 at 4:19 pm

Thank you Catwoman, and thank you Snopes.com.  You saved me a few minutes of Googling.
As Snopes points out, Osoma was on our side as a "freedom fighter" in Afghanistan against the Soviets.  The terrorist in question regarding Ollie's sixteen thousand dollar home security system was Abu Nidal.  Furthermore, Al Gore was not on the Senate Select Committee on Secret Military Assistance to Iran and the Nicaraguan Opposition.

I'm only surprised that the source of this rumor wasn't the Weekly Standard or the Washington Times.

To say that Osama was on our side is an understatement.  He was requruted, trained, financed, and armed by the CIA under the VERY mistaken notion that "the enemy of my ememies is my friend".  Its not surprising, though, since the Bush clan (remember that George !st was VP) had extensive ties with the Bin Laden clan at that time, and still does.  See American Dynasty by Kevin Phillips, and read the endnotes, then check his sources.

Written By: AL-B on 07/05/04 at 4:53 pm

To say that Osama was on our side is an understatement.  He was requruted, trained, financed, and armed by the CIA under the VERY mistaken notion that "the enemy of my ememies is my friend".  Its not surprising, though, since the Bush clan (remember that George !st was VP) had extensive ties with the Bin Laden clan at that time, and still does.  See American Dynasty by Kevin Phillips, and read the endnotes, then check his sources.
A friend of mine told me that President Lyndon Johnson once had a quote that perfectly summed up American foriegn policy and in partcular, our alliances with oppresive regimes: "He may be a sonofabitch, but he's OUR sonofabitch..."

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/05/04 at 5:31 pm

A friend of mine told me that President Lyndon Johnson once had a quote that perfectly summed up American foriegn policy and in partcular, our alliances with oppresive regimes: "He may be a sonofabitch, but he's OUR sonofabitch..."

Actually that was FDR in reference to the emerging Somosa regime in Nicaragua.  But yes, and dictator who can afford a pair of sun glasses and is willing to make his country safe for Coka Cola has been "Our Guy", and that includes Saddam Hussain.  Maybe we need a new foreign policy, that projects our values and NOT our greed.

Check for new replies or respond here...