» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Read This And Weep For Mary Jo

Written By: BodaciousBoy on 07/09/04 at 9:47 am

Mary Jo Kopechne  would have been 65 years of age this year. Read about her killer below. 

When Sen. Ted Kennedy was merely just another Democrat bloating on  Capitol Hill on behalf of liberal causes, it was perhaps excusable to ignore his deplorable past.  But now that he's become Sen. John Kerry's leading campaign attack dog, positioning himself as Washington's leading arbiter of truth and integrity, the days for such indulgence are now over.

It's time for the GOP to stand up and remind America why Sen. Kerry's chief spokesman had to abandon his own presidential bid in 1980 - time to say the words Mary Jo Kopechne out loud.  As is often the case, Republicans have deluded themselves into thinking that most Americans already know the story of how this "Conscience of  the Democratic Party" left Miss Kopechne behind to die in the waters underneath the Edgartown Bridge in July 1969, after a night of  drinking and partying with the young blonde campaign worker. But most  Americans under 40 have never heard that story, or details of how  Kennedy swam to safety, then tried to get his cousin Joe Garghan to  say he was behind the wheel.  Those young voters don't know how Miss Kopechne, trapped inside Kennedy's Oldsmobile, gasped for air until she finally died, while the Democrats' leading Iraq war critic rushed back to his compound to  formulate the best alibi he could think of.

Neither does Generation X know how Kennedy was thrown out of Harvard on  his ear 15 years earlier -- for paying a fellow student to take his Spanish final. Or why the US Army denied him a commission because he cheated on tests.  As they listen to the Democrats' "Liberal Lion" accuse President Bush of  "telling lie after lie after lie" to get America to go to war in Iraq, young voters don't know about that notorious 1991 Easter weekend in  Palm Beach, when Uncle Teddy rounded up his nephews for a night on the  town,  an evening that ended with one of them credibly accused of rape.

It's time for Republicans to state unabashedly that they will no  longer  "go along with the gag" when it comes to Uncle Ted's rants about deception and moral turpitude inside the Bush White House. And if the  Republicans don't, let's do it ourselves by passing this forgotten disgrace around the Internet to wake up memories of what a fraud and fake Teddy really is.

The Democratic Party, not to mention Sen. John Kerry, should be  ashamed to have the national disgrace from Massachusetts as their spokesman.  And the GOP needs to say so out loud. I remember all of this and I'm sure  most of you do, too.

Subject: Re: Read This And Weep For Mary Jo

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/09/04 at 9:52 am

I believe that the traditional way of doing this has been for one of Ted's opponents to disingenuously say....

"I am not going to bring up the Chappaquidick Incident"

That usually does the trick.  :P

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/09/04 at 11:03 am

Sigh.  I've heard all this blather before...many times.  I heard it all from my dad growing up.  He was the Kennedy-hatingest liberal there ever was.  He's not the first rich boy who f**ked up and got bailed out by his powerful family, not even where a death is involved.  I don't respect Ted Kennedy's character much, but I respect him as a legislator.
The legislative policies of your righteous Republicans has caused infinitely more hardship, suffering, and death than Ted Kennedy's car in 1969.
Laura Bush killed a person driving while intoxicated back in her teens.  But none dare impugn her character.

Written By: womberty on 07/09/04 at 11:15 am

What's that about Laura Bush? I know G.W. got a DUI, but... WHAT???

(But then, of course, Laura's not running for office. Nor is Jenna, or Jeb's daughter(?) with a drug problem.)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/09/04 at 2:09 pm

What's that about Laura Bush? I know G.W. got a DUI, but... WHAT???

(But then, of course, Laura's not running for office.
True enough..

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/09/04 at 2:30 pm

Laura Bush killed a person driving while intoxicated back in her teens.  But none dare impugn her character.

Actually, I think YOU just impugned her character.

The Midland Texas poilice report from that accident in 1963 was obtained through an "Open Records Access" request a few years back, and it specifically states that NONE of the people involved in the accident were intoxicated.  It does state, and she admits, that Laura ran a stop sign.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/09/04 at 2:45 pm

The Midland Texas poilice report from that accident in 1963 was obtained through an "Open Records Access" request a few years back, and it specifically states that NONE of the people involved in the accident were intoxicated.  It does state, and she admits, that Laura ran a stop sign.

I stand corrected. I must have conflated GW's DUI with Laura's car accident.  Well, accident's do happen.  Laura Bush ran a stop sign when she was 16 or 17, someone got killed, but that shouldn't reflect badly on her now.

Written By: Mushroom on 07/09/04 at 2:47 pm

Don't confuse the issue with facts.  We all know she is a killer, because she is a Republican, and the wife of a Republican.  And as stated before, all Republicans are evil killers.

*tongue very much in cheek as I say this*

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/09/04 at 3:03 pm

I stand corrected. I must have conflated GW's DUI with Laura's car accident.  Well, accident's do happen.  Laura Bush ran a stop sign when she was 16 or 17, someone got killed, but that shouldn't reflect badly on her now.

Of course not!  Nor should the (I think) Ill. Senator who killed a motorcycalist by speeding through a stop sign be mentioned.  Nor should we discuss Newt's extramarital affairs, or Henry Hide"s, or Georgie's years long bing on bimbos, booze, and cocaine in Texas.  These are all "youthful indiscretions" (when Republicans do them  ;)). 

Written By: AL-B on 07/09/04 at 7:23 pm

Of course not!  Nor should the (I think) Ill. Senator who killed a motorcycalist by speeding through a stop sign be mentioned.  
Actually that was Sen. Bill Janklow (also the former governor) of South Dakota. He hadn't been drinking, but he was known to have a lead foot. I think he got off with a week in jail and a year or two probation. Just more proof that here in America, if you have a lot of money you don't have to be held accountable for your actions.  >:(

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/09/04 at 8:14 pm

Actually that was Sen. Bill Janklow (also the former governor) of South Dakota. He hadn't been drinking, but he was known to have a lead foot. I think he got off with a week in jail and a year or two probation. Just more proof that here in America, if you have a lot of money you don't have to be held accountable for your actions.  >:(
Let us not forget the Killer Ted tried to cover up this horrible ordeal.....I think the topic was TED wasn't it??

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/09/04 at 8:26 pm

Let us not forget the Killer Ted tried to cover up this horrible ordeal.....I think the topic was TED wasn't it??

Do people still care about this?

She got into a car with a very intoxicated individual behind the wheel.  She might as well have gone swimming by herself or something equally sucidal.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 07/09/04 at 8:30 pm

Didn't old Edward wait two days to contact the police or something like that?

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/09/04 at 9:23 pm

Didn't old Edward wait two days to contact the police or something like that?

the next morning... still bad enough

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/09/04 at 10:34 pm

Do people still care about this?

She got into a car with a very intoxicated individual behind the wheel.  She might as well have gone swimming by herself or something equally sucidal.

Mary Jo's family still cares.  The righ-wing cares only insofar as it's a surefire way to get at the senior senator from Massachusetts.

It was an accident.  Even if Teddy was convicted of manslaughter, he would have paid his debt to society and be in the clear by now. 

Written By: Powerslave on 07/11/04 at 3:49 am

Muckraking is intolerable. It's childish behaviour. Play the ball, people, not the man. Bush didn't win office because he was a nice guy, and he won't stay there because he's a nice guy either. And if Kerry wins -- and that's a big if -- it won't be because he's a nice guy either. Digging up the dark past on opponents during electioneering (and even before it) is childish name calling. Here in Australia right now, the Government is so worried they'll get rolled at the next election they're getting so dirty and petty it's almost unbelievable. Last week they dug up something the Opposition Leader did when he was a local councillor and blew it out of all proportion (he helped eject a dissenter at a council meeting). Then when that didn't work, they smeared the character of his current wife because of something she did when she was 13! Then they brought up something that his ex-wife did when she was 15. Surely policies are what matters? Surely?

*cynical*

Written By: dude on 07/11/04 at 5:03 am

The Bush-backers are really showing the strain. I mean, come on people, this is stretching. What are you going to do next? Bring up FDR's marital faux-pas? I've got a better idea........just remind everybody that Thomas Jefferson was a slave-owner and had illigitimate children with one of his slaves! :o How could one ever even think of voting for Kerry-Edwards with this knowledge!? ;)

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/11/04 at 4:50 pm

So did Jankowski (thanks Al-B for the details). 

What Ted did many years ago was wrong.  Driving drunk is bad news, and waiting 2 hours to report the accident (probably wandering around in a stupour) was also bad news.  Jankowski also tried to cover up by denying that he was speeding.  He wasn't drunk as I recall but was under the influence of meds that should not be used "while operating heavy equipment" as I recall.  So I think the issue is now the utter HYPOCRACY of the right.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/11/04 at 5:23 pm

So did Jankowski (thanks Al-B for the details). 

What Ted did many years ago was wrong.  Driving drunk is bad news, and waiting 2 hours to report the accident (probably wandering around in a stupour) was also bad news.  Jankowski also tried to cover up by denying that he was speeding.  He wasn't drunk as I recall but was under the influence of meds that should not be used "while operating heavy equipment" as I recall.  So I think the issue is now the utter HYPOCRACY of the right.

I just hate how they cop that sanctimonious attitude, like they really care about Mary Jo Kaopectate's family.  Give me an effing break!

Written By: danootaandme on 07/11/04 at 5:53 pm

Yeah, Ted was wrong, he(and her parents will have to live with that. 
Laura Bush ran a stop sign and killed her ex-boyfriend(who showed
her the door earlier in the day). She (and his parents) will have to
live with that.  Jefferson did not have illegitimate children, they were
all perfectly legitimate, what he did was illegitimate by (what we
politely call) seducing a 15 year old slave(he was how old?
any of you have daugthers out there? what would you call it?).
But this distracts from 58,000 legally registered turned away from the
polls, the rabid climate in America today, the Bush twins taking their
tax returns and spending the money that won't to go towards
Jessica Lynchs'  veterans benefits.

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/12/04 at 9:35 pm

Yeah, Ted was wrong, he(and her parents will have to live with that. 
Laura Bush ran a stop sign and killed her ex-boyfriend(who showed
her the door earlier in the day). She (and his parents) will have to
live with that.  Jefferson did not have illegitimate children, they were
all perfectly legitimate, what he did was illegitimate by (what we
politely call) seducing a 15 year old slave(he was how old?
any of you have daugthers out there? what would you call it?).
But this distracts from 58,000 legally registered turned away from the
polls, the rabid climate in America today, the Bush twins taking their
tax returns and spending the money that won't to go towards
Jessica Lynchs'  veterans benefits.

Yeah, well, if your name is Bush, and your folks have influence, you can get in and out of the National Guard, you can get away with a cocaine bust, AOWL?  No problem, Pentegon records, unfortunately  :\'( lost. 

Oh, by the way, we should ALL support out troops and our vets.  Yeah, right.  Just an example.  Federal employees entitled to rertirement and disability get both, one on top of the other.  Retired from the military and eligable for both? FORGET IT.  You get both, but disability payments are deducted from you retirement.  The total you get is your retirement, unlike untyher Fed employees who get their retirement PLUS their disability allowance. 

Heres a cause GWB should, I would think, on which be willing to join with me.  Supporting our veterans.  Our President opposed legislation to to recognize out veterans for these benefits. 

Cat, forced to retire from the military deserves this benefit, as do countless other vets.  But where is Lill'e Georgie?  Where is faul mouth Chaney? 

Check for new replies or respond here...