» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: the worlds oldest profession(revised?)

Written By: saver on 07/11/04 at 1:07 am

It's frequently referred to as the worlds oldest profession- prostitution

But would you think robber or mugger really should be called the first, as it benifitted whoever started it-stealing the cavemans belongings (someone must have done that before "hooking")...and then through the ages being used in the telling of stories from the Bible-The Good Samaritan helping a man who was robbed, to classics, like Charles Dickens "Fagin" being a thief in 'Oliver'?

Maybe there were prostitutes in ancient times, but greed/love of money or possessions had to have been a firstefore someone got the idea NOT to impose on anothers property, so they rationalized selling what they had to another-creating postitution(then organizing)..??

just wondering?

Subject: Re: the worlds oldest profession(revised?)

Written By: sputnikcorp on 07/11/04 at 7:47 am

i once heard that the second oldest profession was a mercenary.

Written By: Bobby on 07/11/04 at 10:48 am

You don't actually 'earn' being a robber (I suppose 'earn' is a dubious term for prostitution really) but at least a prostitute provides a 'service' - ahem!

Written By: saver on 07/11/04 at 11:34 am

I guess overall...a way to makemoney compared to earning it...

how about a robber who rips off a prostitute?

Being political..ifthey couldn't stop people fromconstantly participating in robbery, how will they ever end or discourage terrorists?????

I need some sleep fromall this.......zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz 

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/11/04 at 4:40 pm

If anthropological studies of contemporary "cavemen" (Gatherer/Hunters) can be used as a guide to the days of prehistory, than our distant forbearers HAD very few things and had no concept of private property.  They took from nature and shared the proceeds with their clan.  What nature provided belonged to the whole group.  But then, they probably didn't have prostitution either since they had nothing with which to pay for the "service".

Written By: Bobby on 07/11/04 at 5:32 pm

I guess overall...a way to makemoney compared to earning it...

how about a robber who rips off a prostitute?

Being political..ifthey couldn't stop people fromconstantly participating in robbery, how will they ever end or discourage terrorists?????

I need some sleep fromall this.......zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz 

I think you do need some sleep, saver.  ;) 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/11/04 at 5:35 pm

If anthropological studies of contemporary "cavemen" (Gatherer/Hunters) can be used as a guide to the days of prehistory, than our distant forbearers HAD very few things and had no concept of private property.  They took from nature and shared the proceeds with their clan.  What nature provided belonged to the whole group.  But then, they probably didn't have prostitution either since they had nothing with which to pay for the "service".

You never saw any prostitutes on the Flintstones, did you?

Written By: Bobby on 07/11/04 at 5:38 pm

Yeah, Carlos.  ;)  ;D  ;D

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/12/04 at 10:26 pm

LOL, but I always wondered about what Gred and Barny and Betty and Willma did on a saturday night.  What makes us think they were monagamous (horrors, but I have to ask).  After all, none of our closest relatives are, not Chimps, nor Bonobos, nor gurillas.  In fact, something likle 99 % of all sexually breeding creaturs are NOT monogomous, and if divorce rates, and promiscuity are factored in , neither are we.  Could it be that there really IS a "battle between the sexes"?  He wants to spread his seed as far and wide as possible, and she wants to confine it to her uterus?

There is some interesting literature on this subject.  Start with an old book by Ellain Morgan The Decent of Woman which argues that if your mother never had any kids, neither can you.  THen go on to  Sex, Time, and Power by Leonard Shlain.  Maybe most of you aren't interersted, but mant of you refer to "human nature"  you might want to inform youselves about what it really is, where it came from, and how it enabled us to survive.  There are lots of other "popular science" titles dealing with the subject.  On a more threoertical level, you might consult Fredrick Engles on the State, Private Property, and the Family.  THere is, of course, a wide selection of Ffeminist litrerature on this topic.  And since prostitution is so ubiquitous, should we really make light of it? 

If not, I REALLY don't want to read ots of "I have never..." declarations.  This is not about confession or vindication, but about gender, patriarchy, and power. 

So Fred, Willma, Barny, and Betty may have been getting it on.  How do we get from there to the puritan resrictions we all abide, although....

Written By: philbo on 07/13/04 at 8:56 am

i once heard that the second oldest profession was a mercenary.

There's a lot of professions which describe themselves as "the second oldest" - I did research into tanning (leathermaking) for a couple of years, and that was introduced in much the same way. 

Well, there was that one when Barney w... hold on a sec... that wasn't Flinstones :blush ;)

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/14/04 at 6:43 pm

There's a lot of professions which describe themselves as "the second oldest" - I did research into tanning (leathermaking) for a couple of years, and that was introduced in much the same way. 

Well, there was that one when Barney w... hold on a sec... that wasn't Flinstones :blush ;)

Are you thinking about Ringo and Caveman?  Funny, but total fantasy.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/14/04 at 8:06 pm

Are you thinking about Ringo and Caveman?  Funny, but total fantasy.

Oh gawd, what a stinker of a movie!  Though the old Jewish actor Jack Gilford was in it.  I'm a close friend of his son, Sammy.

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/15/04 at 5:19 pm

Oh gawd, what a stinker of a movie!  Though the old Jewish actor Jack Gilford was in it.  I'm a close friend of his son, Sammy.

So you don't appreciate camp?  Its so stupid that its funny.  But taste in movies is not the issue here.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/16/04 at 6:55 pm

Really? I met Jack a long time ago because my mother worked with him. She still thinks about him fondly.

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...