» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Slim-Fast Dumps Whoopi After Bush Barbs

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/15/04 at 10:09 pm

The diet aid company fires its spokeswoman for her comic remarks about President Bush
. From a business standpoint I applaud them....I also cheered Pepsi's decision to fire Ludicrus a few years back.

Subject: Re: Slim-Fast Dumps Whoopi After Bush Barbs

Written By: lebeiw15 on 07/15/04 at 10:12 pm

Why did Pepsi fire Ludacris again?  I know he was talking bad about someone, I can't remember what.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/15/04 at 10:14 pm

Why can't people just drink the soft drink because they like it and not because their spokesperson is a jackass?

I prefer Coke anyway.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/15/04 at 10:16 pm

Why did Pepsi fire Ludacris again?  I know he was talking bad about someone, I can't remember what.
From a business standpoint Pepsi erred hiring him and realizing thier mistake, fired him. They didn't want a person of his reputation to represent them. Same with the Slim-Fast people...whoopi is an irresponsible loose cannon who shot her mouth off once to often in the wrong forum....

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/15/04 at 10:31 pm

I think it's more right-wing hogwash.  Few people would even know what Whoopi said and fewer people would even care if the partisan Republican media blowhards didn't make such a big deal about it.  It's a tough job to defend the worst president since Johnson (Andrew Johnson), so I guess that's why they're so touchy.
Dennis Miller, on the other hand, said much more offensive things about Kerry and Edwards at a Bush rally (most notably implying the two were gay lovers and should "get a room"), but Miller is still the partisan Republican CNBC network's little righty-right handmaiden.  Disgusting little punk that he is.
Whatever Goldberg's remarks were regarding "Bush," I'm sure they were inane and sophomoric, like most of her jokes.  She used to be funny in the '80s, now she's in has-been land.  I didn't even realize she worked for SlimeFast, not that I buy their products anyway.  Regardless, it was only a "smart" business decision if SlimeFast really thought Crybaby O'Reilly's boycott would work against them.
O'Reilly lies about the effects of his boycott against France, citing the "Paris Business Review," a periodical he made up out of thin air.

Written By: My name is Kenny on 07/16/04 at 1:31 am

They didn't want a person of his reputation to represent them.

For ten points, R&RF:  Who is Ludacris and what is his reputation?  (No credit for simply describing him as a "rapper.")

Dennis Miller, on the other hand, said much more offensive things about Kerry and Edwards at a Bush rally (most notably implying the two were gay lovers and should "get a room"), but Miller is still the partisan Republican CNBC network's little righty-right handmaiden.

Oh NO!  Not "partisan!"  God, can you imagine if everyone on this board were partisan?

Dennis Miller, on the other hand, said much more offensive things about Kerry and Edwards at a Bush rally

No, he didn't. Whoopi's were worse.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 07/16/04 at 2:47 am

I think it's more right-wing hogwash.

That is BS.  Rush Limbaugh was talking about this, he lives only a few doors down from the exact same man who fired whoopi and he is a HUGE liberal, and this was also mentioned on Fox and Friends, the person who fired her is a very liberal democRAT who lives in my birth place of Palm Beach county Florida.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/16/04 at 10:10 am

For ten points, R&RF:  Who is Ludacris and what is his reputation?  (No credit for simply describing him as a "rapper.")

The ONE and ONLY time I defend pepsi and it gets me into trouble ::)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/16/04 at 10:13 am

Dennis Miller, on the other hand, said much more offensive things about Kerry and Edwards at a Bush rally [Miller doesn't represent a company though. Had she not been a spokesperson for someone her comments would've been taken with a grain of salt.

Written By: Mushroom on 07/16/04 at 12:28 pm

I think it's more right-wing hogwash.  Few people would even know what Whoopi said and fewer people would even care if the partisan Republican media blowhards didn't make such a big deal about it. 

I feel that any businesses has the right to hire or fire any spokesman they choose.  If a person speaks out on things they do not like, it is their right to fire them.  ANd that goes for business, non profit, or government.

Words have meanings, and actions have consequences.  I do not care what the view is, or who said it agains whom.  The point to me is, Slimfast, Pepsi, and anybody else has that right.

I was in LA a few years ago, when Dennis Rhodman was a spokesman for a major fast food chain there, when he had his SHORT stint with Lakers.  After Dennis self-destructed and blamed the team for his poor playing ability, they fired him.  After all, he is their "mouthpiece to the public".  If he says things they do not like or may bring on negative publicity, it is their right.

Last time I checked, this IS a free marketplace, where company owners have the right to hire and fire whomever they choose.  It may also simply be that Whoopie is largely a "has-been" star, who was not getting the results they desired.

Remember just a year or so ago, when the "Hey dude, you got a Dell" kid was busted for Marijuanna possession.  Dell dropped him real fast, replaceing him with the "Interns" series of commercials.  Once again, that is their right, because that brought negative publicity on their company.

Written By: Mushroom on 07/16/04 at 12:40 pm

I actually feel this way about ANYBODY who speaks out on ANYTHING.

I feel that the Dixie Chicks got SOMEWHAT of a bad treatment after their anti-Bush speach.  But that was their right to do that.  But they did not help by acting like spoiled children when they realized that their target audience dod not like their statements.

Country music is largely Pro-American and patriotic.  It is about love and family values.  It should not have been a huge surprise that in the post 9/11 environment that their fans would create a backlash.  But when that happens, you just stand firm and "take your lumps", or keep quiet.  With the whining they did afterwards, and attacks on their own fans, it is no surprise that their concert sales have fallen flat.

I am sure the same thing would happen if a Rap group spoke out in SUPPORT of Bush.  That would be their right, but if they target audience does not like it, then they have to suffer the consequences.

Written By: Mushroom on 07/16/04 at 12:55 pm

And in the reverse, those of us old enough to remember Anita Bryant, she was dropped as a spokesman for Florida Orange Juice, because of her outspoken comments against homosexuality.

And Rush Limbaugh himself was dumped both by Florida Orange Juice and Snapple.  He did not whine, he just when on doing his job.

Of course, I am sure you support those actions.  People with views you like getting the axe is bad, people you disagree with getting the axe is good.

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/16/04 at 5:47 pm

democRAT .

This is getting tiresome.  Its totally gratuitous, pointlessly insulting, adds nothing to the quality of debate, and is sophmoriclly stupid. I also notice that you always use the lower case "d" which denotes one who believes in democracy, not an adherant of the Democratic Party.  So you seem to be suggesting that those of us who believe in democracy are rats.  I guess, then, that I'm a rat, and proud of it.

As to the topic, my guess is that Woopy doesn't need the $$$.  In her place, I would certainly chose my freedom of speach as more important than financial gain.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/17/04 at 12:39 pm

I really think that it is pitiful to lost your job because of your political views. If she was talking down about Slim-fast-ok, I can see that.  I understand that businesses have the right to hire/fire whomever but to me, this seems like a violation of the First Admendment.

Cat

Written By: Indy Gent on 07/17/04 at 2:35 pm

No Cat, this is not a violation of First Amendment rights. It's a business decision. You can oppose Bush's stand on Iraq or oppose his economic policies. But this is spiteful character assassination. Just try to put yourselves in the place of Slim-Fast employees, most of whom are trying to keep politics out of the workplace. They will never see half the salary of Whoopi Goldberg. Rosie O'Donnell has had trouble finding work. And unless she learns to curb her tongue in her hateful anti-Conservative slams, she may find it difficult in the long run. Expect more firings of celebrities who choose to speak out. Whoopi still has the right to speak out, but not at the expense of the businesses and people who oppose her.

I really think that it is pitiful to lost your job because of your political views. If she was talking down about Slim-fast-ok, I can see that.  I understand that businesses have the right to hire/fire whomever but to me, this seems like a violation of the First Admendment.

Cat

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/17/04 at 2:43 pm

Clearly, Slim-Fast can hire any spokesperson it wants, and need not be concerned with the 1st amendment, which refers to Congress.  Certianly we, the consumers, can excercise our rights and patronize only those firms that don't violate its spirit.  We might not be able to buy much though, since corporate America is heavilly conservative.

Written By: danootaandme on 07/17/04 at 4:50 pm

I believe that there are usually clauses in these contracts that allow companies, or the parties
involved to get out of contracts. Whoopie doesn't care, she knows she ain't gonna starve, and
I'm not going to buy Slim-Fast.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/18/04 at 12:25 am

Clearly, Slim-Fast can hire any spokesperson it wants, and need not be concerned with the 1st amendment, which refers to Congress.  Certianly we, the consumers, can excercise our rights and patronize only those firms that don't violate its spirit.  We might not be able to buy much though, since corporate America is heavilly conservative.

Indeed.  Imagine being a liberal and working for Clear Channel?  You'd be walking on eggshells every day!
I'm sick of the way Americans have been taught to defend the "rights" of corporations to do rotten things to people.  Do we want the rights of commerce always to trump the rights of individuals?  That's what we're coming to in this country.  I personally don't give a rip about Whoopi or Slim-Fast per se, it's more the reaction that annoys me.  Americans have such a pro-management bias.  It's embarrassing.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/18/04 at 2:24 pm

Just try to put yourselves in the place of Slim-Fast employees, most of whom are trying to keep politics out of the workplace.

The thing is, by firing her because of her political comments, they HAVE put politics into the workplace.

Cat

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/18/04 at 4:15 pm

Indeed.  Imagine being a liberal and working for Clear Channel?  You'd be walking on eggshells every day!
I'm sick of the way Americans have been taught to defend the "rights" of corporations to do rotten things to people.  Do we want the rights of commerce always to trump the rights of individuals?  That's what we're coming to in this country.  I personally don't give a rip about Whoopi or Slim-Fast per se, it's more the reaction that annoys me.  Americans have such a pro-management bias.  It's embarrassing.

I certainly agree.  It may be time to change the law so that corporations no longer have the same legal status as real people.  Its also high time to reinvigorate the labor movement - Big Bill, Mother Jones, Joe Hill, where are you now that we need you - again?

Written By: Hairspray on 07/19/04 at 12:51 pm

Cat

I guess Whoopi wasn't allowed to have a personal life outside of her job. ??? I think the people who fired her for her personal views, which had absolutely nothing to do with her job, are simple idiots; regardless of whether or not they had the right to fire her. It will most likely backfire on the company in the long run. Slim Fast has a very poor rating when it comes to acquiring a permanent spokesperson. Monica Lewinsky, anyone? They hired her after her presidential indiscretions and then fired her shortly thereafter. Then again, it could very-well be that Slim Fast likes to rely on negative publicity. Better than no publicity at all, right?

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/19/04 at 1:45 pm

I guess Whoopi wasn't allowed to have a personal life outside of her job. ??? I think the people who fired her for her personal views, which had absolutely nothing to do with her job, are simple idiots; regardless of whether or not they had the right to fire her. It will most likely backfire on the company in the long run. Slim Fast has a very poor rating when it comes to acquiring a permanent spokesperson. Monica Lewinsky, anyone? They hired her after her presidential indiscretions and then fired her shortly thereafter. Then again, it could very-well be that Slim Fast likes to rely on negative publicity. Better than no publicity at all, right?

I think this applies for a lot of celebrities.

Kobe, for example: he's lost millions of dollars of endorsements because of his transgressions.

As for Whoopi, she was in a public forum talking smack about the President.  This is protected speech, but it's different than if she had been at a private Tupperware party talking smack with her homies.  The company (whether the CEO be conservative or liberal) HAS to market to both conservatives and liberals, since obesity doesn't discriminate, and thus the company has to remain as neutral as possible. 

Written By: Hairspray on 07/19/04 at 2:19 pm

As for Whoopi, she was in a public forum talking smack about the President.

She's a career comedian first and foremost. When she does her shtick, it should be taken with a grain of salt. Where's the world's sense of humor?

Written By: Hairspray on 07/19/04 at 2:28 pm

Whoopi's response:

An unrepentant Goldberg hit back in a written statement. "Just because I'm no longer in those (commercial) spots, it doesn't mean I will stop talking.

"While I can appreciate what the Slim-Fast people need to do in order to protect their business, I must also do what I need to do as an artist, as a writer and as an American - not to mention as a comic."

"I only wish that the Republican re-election committee would spend as much time working on the economy as they seem to be spending trying to harm my pocketbook."

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/19/04 at 2:36 pm

Whoopi's response:

An unrepentant Goldberg hit back in a written statement. "Just because I'm no longer in those (commercial) spots, it doesn't mean I will stop talking.

"While I can appreciate what the Slim-Fast people need to do in order to protect their business, I must also do what I need to do as an artist, as a writer and as an American - not to mention as a comic."

"I only wish that the Republican re-election committee would spend as much time working on the economy as they seem to be spending trying to harm my pocketbook."

I heard about that and I applaud her for sticking to her guns.  I like Whoopi Goldberg, and to this whole situation I was just like "whatever".  Most people this year don't have too much of a sense of humor :P  And even she understands that the company has to protect their interests.  This happens all the time, with Kobe, with the Dixie Chicks, Fahrenheit 9/11, whatever. 

What people have to understand is that while they have the freedom in this country to say whatever they want whenever they want (within limits, mind you), so do their peers.  Gotta watch what you say, especially when it IS in a public forum.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/19/04 at 2:36 pm

Speaking of, did y'all hear that Ah-nuld called the CA state assemblymen a bunch of girlie-men?  :D:D:D

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/19/04 at 3:27 pm

I think it's more right-wing hogwash. 

Uhhh...

The head man at SlimFast is a Democrat who has never supported Bush.  he explained his decision in that he never wants his product's endorsers to be involved in name-calling and mud-slinging.  (I'm paraphrasing what he said in an interview).

He did not fire Whoopy due to right-wing leanings.  He simply did it out of his own personal sense of civility.

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/19/04 at 3:36 pm

He did not fire Whoopy due to right-wing leanings.  He simply did it out of his own personal sense of civility.

He did it out of his concern for the bottom line.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/19/04 at 7:16 pm

He did it out of his concern for the bottom line.

Fair enough.  But I think he will explain that having a spokesperson who undertakes an uncivil, lewd diatribe is bad for business.  So yes... bad for his bottom line.

Whatever his reasons, he is a DEMOCRAT and not a right-wing Bush supporter.  So much for the jive about this being some sort of right-wing action.

Written By: Mushroom on 07/20/04 at 11:32 am

Actually, First Ammendment does not apply at all.

She was not punished in any way by the Government, and she was not told she sould not make such comments.  Her employer simply terminated her employment.

The First Ammendment protects you from GOVERNMENT punishment for any comments you may make.  They do not protect your job if your employer does not like them.  The only thing I can think of that might possibly apply in that case is if the comments fall under one of the "Whistle Blower" statutes.

Written By: Mushroom on 07/20/04 at 11:41 am

I personally don't give a rip about Whoopi or Slim-Fast per se, it's more the reaction that annoys me.  Americans have such a pro-management bias.  It's embarrassing.

I agree!  Let's get Rush to endorse Snapple again, and both Rush and ANita Bryant to go back to endorsing Florida Orange Juice.

Check for new replies or respond here...