» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Video Games

Written By: SI-MAE on 07/16/04 at 11:05 am

Do Not Expect a board blasting violent video games, because I support them in the hands of MATURE individuals. My belief is this:

I am a mature adult, I need to shoot things. I think it best it occur fictionally.

Comedian Jackie Kashian said that for humor purposes, I believe it. There are certain games tiny children should not play, but I feel that banning them or requiring ID such as a drivers license is pointless.  The games will still be obtained through the internet and such, therefore, restrictions are pointless as is. And if you ban the games, you will have to recall every video game with violence in it, because it would defeat your purpose if such games still existed.

I've given my view, what do you think?

Subject: Re: Video Games

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/16/04 at 11:08 am

I'm a big fan of video games.  My parents also taught me what is real and what is not. 

Fun with responsibility!  :D

Written By: SI-MAE on 07/16/04 at 2:41 pm

I'm a big fan of video games.  My parents also taught me what is real and what is not. 

Fun with responsibility!  :D

Excelllllllennnnnnnnt! I'm surprised I wasn't met with an assault of angry hippies. My parents did the same: They told me "As long as you know the boundary between harming things in real life and on a game, you may play."

Fun with responsibilty all the way!  :D

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/16/04 at 6:11 pm

Excelllllllennnnnnnnt! I'm surprised I wasn't met with an assault of angry hippies. My parents did the same: They told me "As long as you know the boundary between harming things in real life and on a game, you may play."

Fun with responsibilty all the way!  :D

Sounds reasonable to me.  I'm about to confron the "Water Temple Demon" in Zelda and "The Ocarina of Time".  I have full life Xs 4, so I think I'll win.  Now if I associated my Dean with this demon, that could be a problem, lol.

Written By: My name is Kenny on 07/16/04 at 10:10 pm

I destroyed my neighbor's house with a rocket launcher last weekend.

Written By: Powerslave on 07/17/04 at 1:37 pm

I had a bad day at work, so when I got home, I turned on the Playstation. I drove around the streets of London mowing down pedestrians and blowing up cars with a tank. Then I went out on foot and ran through the streets murdering people. For no reason. Without consequences. Afterwards, I felt much better. But I am well aware of the fact that if I did that in real life, I would have either ended up in prison, or been shot dead by the police. And it was much better than punching someone's lights out for real, or smashing up my home in frustration. All I can see are benefits, personally. ;)

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/17/04 at 2:36 pm

I had a bad day at work, so when I got home, I turned on the Playstation. I drove around the streets of London mowing down pedestrians and blowing up cars with a tank. Then I went out on foot and ran through the streets murdering people. For no reason. Without consequences. Afterwards, I felt much better. But I am well aware of the fact that if I did that in real life, I would have either ended up in prison, or been shot dead by the police. And it was much better than punching someone's lights out for real, or smashing up my home in frustration. All I can see are benefits, personally. ;)

The problem is, when kids get a hold of games like you describe, it could harden them, make them callous, regarding violence.  That, at least, is what the shrinks say.  But I remember playing cowboys and indians as a kid, and I have never killed a cowboy or an indian.

Written By: Powerslave on 07/17/04 at 2:52 pm

And I have listened to heavy metal music since I was 13, and I've never contemplated suicide, joining a Satanic cult, burning down a church or becoming a dangerously violent anti-social nutcase. As long as one can differentiate between fantasy and reality, these types of games cause no problems. And I think you are arguing that the shrinks suggest that exposure to cartoon violence like that in video games and blockbuster films can somehow desensitise people, particularly the young, to violence. My argument to that is that most children, even at any early age, can tell the difference between the cartoon violence of a film or game and the real violence on the street or in the home, and know which one is real and frightening, and which one isn't.

Written By: Bobby on 07/17/04 at 7:35 pm

This shouldn't be an issue IMO. Video games have been going on since sticks and squares represented bats and balls. Computer games carry age certificates on them nowadays and it is up to the trader to enforce these laws.

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/18/04 at 4:54 pm

And I have listened to heavy metal music since I was 13, and I've never contemplated suicide, joining a Satanic cult, burning down a church or becoming a dangerously violent anti-social nutcase. As long as one can differentiate between fantasy and reality, these types of games cause no problems. And I think you are arguing that the shrinks suggest that exposure to cartoon violence like that in video games and blockbuster films can somehow desensitise people, particularly the young, to violence. My argument to that is that most children, even at any early age, can tell the difference between the cartoon violence of a film or game and the real violence on the street or in the home, and know which one is real and frightening, and which one isn't.

No, I'm not "arguing" that position, just raising that issue.  As I said, as a kid I played violent games, and like you have never committed an anti-social act of violence.  I don't know what impact this stuff has, but my inclination is to teach peace.

Written By: SI-MAE on 07/19/04 at 2:36 pm

but my inclination is to teach peace.

I agree. I believe peace is important in reality, and if violence in non-real worlds is going to help it to stay out of our world, I think that it is okay. As long as it stays in the game.

Written By: Mushroom on 07/20/04 at 2:51 pm

To me, this is an arguement that has been going on for over 25 years, and shows no sign of going away.

30 years ago, there was a game called "Death Race", in which the goal was to drive over people running around on the screen.  When you killed a person, a scream was heard, and a tombstone appeared.  THe goal was to kill a set number of people before the time expired, then you started again, with more people to kill.

Then 25 years ago, you had "Dungeons & Dragons".  This was another game which was said to cause kids to get involved in devil worshiping, human sacrifice, and the like.  I used to play the game a lot myself, and while I did get involved with Ren Faire groups and SCA, I never had the desire to sacrifice my parents for magic spells.

However, to kids who are easily impressionable or have some sort of mental problems, these games can be a big danger.  To somebody with problems dealing with reality, or who can't differentiate fantasy from reality, these games CAN be very dangerous.

I support age limits.  But more importantly, I urge parents to be involved with their kids.  Monitor their games, even play them WITH your kids.  Check what they are getting BEFORE they get them, and do not be afraid to take them away if you think it is to extreme.

Last year, I was working on a client's computer.  I saw her 11 year old son playing "Grand Theft Auto 3".  I asked her about it, and she had never heard of the game.  Even with all of the news stories about it when it came out, this parent never heard of it.  Her son just walked up to her in the store with it in his hand, and she bought it for him.

Even when she started to watch it and saw how violent it was, she could not take it from him.  I guess she did not want to scar him for life by taking away a game in which you restored damage by having sex with prostitutes.

No matter what, nothing can replace parental supervision.

Written By: SI-MAE on 07/21/04 at 11:44 am

Agreed. *bows*

Written By: gumbypiz on 07/23/04 at 1:50 pm

Last year, I was working on a client's computer.  I saw her 11 year old son playing "Grand Theft Auto 3".  I asked her about it, and she had never heard of the game.  Even with all of the news stories about it when it came out, this parent never heard of it.  Her son just walked up to her in the store with it in his hand, and she bought it for him.

Even when she started to watch it and saw how violent it was, she could not take it from him.  I guess she did not want to scar him for life by taking away a game in which you restored damage by having sex with prostitutes.

You’ll probably want to take note of the upcoming sequel to GTA: 3 & Vice City, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas...
GTA: SA (i.e. L.A) takes place on the streets of three large southern California cities in the early 90’s, and unlike the last GTA games in the series, the main character is black. The entire storyline involves black gang warfare. The objective is to gain riches, wealth & power by acting with and sometimes against gangs & other gangs (i.e., extortion, home invasions, robberies and drive-by assassinations). GTA: San Andreas follows similar stories/styles from movies like Menace to Society, Boyz in the Hood, Colors etc. (sample screenshot below).

As you may have guessed this is already starting a bit of controversy in the message boards for the upcoming title. As the previous titles were so graphic and goal of the game so offensive to many it was banned in some countries or had to be edited for others before it could be sold (Australia), what will be the reaction here in the US?

The previous titles GTA 3 & GTA Vice City was centered around and took much influence from mafia/gangster styled stories (i.e. Scarface, Godfather etc.). Both games were very popular and also controversial due to the graphic violence (players were able to run over pedestrians, rob, steal cars, random killings, etc). This game has sold over 20 million copies with sales figures pushing $600 million. GTA: VC has been protested by (Haitians-American league, & NOW) and criticized by almost every civic & social group, and blamed on for violent acts by young children in the media.

Take-Two/Rockstar (game publisher/producer) defended its right to create a "realistic" game for an adult audience. Reminding the public that the game was rated "M" for mature, saying, "it must be recognized that video games have evolved as an adult medium, not unlike literature, movies and music."

There are already rumors that this upcoming sequel may be banned and boycotted by some groups due the violence and perceived showing African Americans in a poor light. Some have said that gamers will not accept a video game with a black central character. Ordinances have already been passed (Miami and other cities) regulating the sale of this and other games like it to adults only due to is violence and mature theme.

I own a copy of GTA: Vice City & I enjoy the game, and have enjoyed video games since the Atari 1600 in the 80’s. Though I don’t commit violent acts or crimes, never been arrested or to jail, I consider myself a “decent” person, & I’m going to be probably buying or renting this when released and enjoy it for what it is...a video game, for adults.
Though, I have to admit, these games are getting maybe a bit little too realistic, and hitting a little too close to home (physically and mentally).

These are NOT games for anyone under 18 and should not be sold to or played by children.

Your thoughts...

Written By: Alicia on 07/23/04 at 2:10 pm

Yes I believe since parents are such a BIG influence they should teach children that its not ok to cause real violence.  Then if the tiny child ask why can you do it on the games then, you reply "because thats fake, like an imaginary friend"

As for this topic though, even if someone does get the idea that its ok to be violent from the game, its still not the games fault even if it did inspire them.  It comes down to CHOICES and the CHOICES someone makes then its their fault but nobody else's and thats what I believe, and I dont think you need to be a 'Mature" adult because nobody is ever really fully mature.

Written By: Bobby on 07/23/04 at 5:01 pm

Anyone remember a computer game called 'Thrill Kill'. It was probably more controversial than Grand Theft Auto. It didn't get a release over here in Britain.

Written By: SI-MAE on 07/24/04 at 9:36 pm

Anyone remember a computer game called 'Thrill Kill'. It was probably more controversial than Grand Theft Auto. It didn't get a release over here in Britain.

Never heard of it. Must be pretty bad, though.

Written By: Bobby on 07/25/04 at 8:45 am

Never heard of it. Must be pretty bad, though.

It was a beat 'em up with sexual overtones.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/26/04 at 2:27 am

I play WW2 simulation games such as 'Frontline:Medal Of Honor",and I also like "NFL Blitz 2003",both of which I have for my XBox....and there are some folks who would say those two games are violent...I know what's real and ACCEPTABLE in our society,and what is not...It's the PARENTS' job to decide what video games their kids have access to....no one else's!

Written By: Apricot on 08/16/04 at 8:55 pm

It's the PARENTS' job to decide what video games their kids have access to....no one else's!

YES!!!!! THIS IS IT!!!!!!! PARENTAL RESPONSIBILITY!!!!

Subject: Video Games

Written By: Dude111 on 11/13/07 at 4:23 am

People wonder why the youth of today is so screwed up,its because of stuff like this!

I used to love going to Arcades and playing games!!!! -- TODAY THEY ARE FILLED WITH NOTHING BUT TRASH!!!! (Fighting,killing,etc)

Same thing with home consoles,THE GAMES ARE GARBAGE.......

I much prefer my Commodore 64 to anything made today!!!

Written By: sonikuu on 11/13/07 at 5:05 am

Wow...talk about one hell of a grave dig.

People wonder why the youth of today is so screwed up,its because of stuff like this!

I used to love going to Arcades and playing games!!!! -- TODAY THEY ARE FILLED WITH NOTHING BUT TRASH!!!! (Fighting,killing,etc)

Ah yes, the whole "the youth are screwed up because of (insert popular thing here)" statement.  Its been used throughout history with various things, from rock music to Dungeons and Dragons to Harry Potter.  Usually, its used in the whole "this thing is corrupting our youth" context.

Well, quite frankly, I'm glad video games have fighting, killing, etc.  Look at movies: they have that kind of stuff all the time.  The fact that video games have it too only attests to the growth of the industry and how video games are beginning to resemble movies, both in artform and in profitability.  Of course, movies have more versatility than games, because of the existence of romance, comedy, etc. which rarely carries over into video games (the only "romance" games that exist are dating simulators over in Japan), but for the sake of comparision, video games and movies are fairly similar.  

Console games aren't garbage at all, and if you're using violence to argue that they're ALL garbage, then that is simply close minded.  This week alone has two nonviolent hyped up games for you to enjoy: Super Mario Galaxy and Rock Band.  We had Guitar Hero 3 about a week or two ago.  If anything, the amount of violence in games is starting to lessen, mostly due to Nintendo's family friendly image and their immense success with the Wii, as well as the decling influence of Grand Theft Auto (last major installment was in 2004, though the new 2008 one will probably lead to somewhat of a revival in its influence).  Heck, the Wii alone has tons of nonviolent games, ranging from Super Mario Galaxy to Wario Ware to Wii Sports.  The Xbox 360 has nonviolent games like Viva Pinata as well.   Don't simply look at the violent games and stereotype the entire industry as being nothing but those kind of games.

And as for the arcades...well, you're guaranteed to find a Dance Dance Revolution game, which is nothing but "dancing" (not really).  You'll probably find a few racing games, possibly much more depending on the size of your arcade.  As for the fighting that you mentioned you dislike...those are merely descendents of the beat-em-ups of the late 80s and early 90s (think Double Dragon).  And killing has been in existence for years in video games, in stuff like Contra.  The difference is that graphics have improved and, as such, the violence is much more realistic than it used to be.

Also, video games have hardly corrupted our youth.  The youth rate of violent crime has actually DECREASED from what it was 10 years ago.  Looks like, despite all the killing and fighting you despise, video games have had no effect on youth crime and if they have had an effect, then they have lowered it.  How can you say the youth is "screwed up" because of video games when statistics prove you wrong?

I believe Shigeru Miyamoto (the gaming god who made Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Metroid, etc.) said it best: "Video games are bad for you?  That's what they said about rock and roll."

Written By: Brian06 on 11/13/07 at 5:38 am

Wow...talk about one hell of a grave dig.

Ah yes, the whole "the youth are screwed up because of (insert popular thing here)" statement.  Its been used throughout history with various things, from rock music to Dungeons and Dragons to Harry Potter.  Usually, its used in the whole "this thing is corrupting our youth" context.

Well, quite frankly, I'm glad video games have fighting, killing, etc.  Look at movies: they have that kind of stuff all the time.  The fact that video games have it too only attests to the growth of the industry and how video games are beginning to resemble movies, both in artform and in profitability.  Of course, movies have more versatility than games, because of the existence of romance, comedy, etc. which rarely carries over into video games (the only "romance" games that exist are dating simulators over in Japan), but for the sake of comparision, video games and movies are fairly similar. 

Console games aren't garbage at all, and if you're using violence to argue that they're ALL garbage, then that is simply close minded.  This week alone has two nonviolent hyped up games for you to enjoy: Super Mario Galaxy and Rock Band.  We had Guitar Hero 3 about a week or two ago.  If anything, the amount of violence in games is starting to lessen, mostly due to Nintendo's family friendly image and their immense success with the Wii, as well as the decling influence of Grand Theft Auto (last major installment was in 2004, though the new 2008 one will probably lead to somewhat of a revival in its influence).  Heck, the Wii alone has tons of nonviolent games, ranging from Super Mario Galaxy to Wario Ware to Wii Sports.  The Xbox 360 has nonviolent games like Viva Pinata as well.  Don't simply look at the violent games and stereotype the entire industry as being nothing but those kind of games.

And as for the arcades...well, you're guaranteed to find a Dance Dance Revolution game, which is nothing but "dancing" (not really).  You'll probably find a few racing games, possibly much more depending on the size of your arcade.  As for the fighting that you mentioned you dislike...those are merely descendents of the beat-em-ups of the late 80s and early 90s (think Double Dragon).  And killing has been in existence for years in video games, in stuff like Contra.  The difference is that graphics have improved and, as such, the violence is much more realistic than it used to be.

Also, video games have hardly corrupted our youth.  The youth rate of violent crime has actually DECREASED from what it was 10 years ago.  Looks like, despite all the killing and fighting you despise, video games have had no effect on youth crime and if they have had an effect, then they have lowered it.  How can you say the youth is "screwed up" because of video games when statistics prove you wrong?

I believe Shigeru Miyamoto (the gaming god who made Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Metroid, etc.) said it best: "Video games are bad for you?  That's what they said about rock and roll."

Agreed, I never understood the whining about the video games. Kids today are not any more violent than the kids of 40, 50 years ago. The world was not any better imo in the past. Same goes for the whining about explicit anything, some people are just too sensitive about everything. Parents should know what their kids are playing and what is acceptable in their house, sure but violent video games do not cause kids do be violent. I played Grand Theft Auto before, imo it's nothing, most movies have worse content. Big non issue here.

Written By: philbo on 11/13/07 at 6:21 am

One thing to add: I had my first play with a Wii last night - what an absolutely brilliant concept.  And for the first time, you can play a video game that actually makes you fitter, rather than turning you into a couch potato.

I'm looking forward to a Quake-type first person shoot-em-up that comes with different weapons to plug your controller into, physically as well as in game-play.  Now, that would be really cool :)

Written By: Jessica on 11/13/07 at 9:58 am

I heartily disagree. I grew up playing the NES. Not really any violent games, unless smacking Goombas around counts. I also grew up watching whatever I wanted, listening to whatever I wanted, and reading whatever I wanted. It didn't warp me in the least. I graduated from high school, took some collegs courses, got married, and had a kid. I'm well adjusted, (somewhat) intelligent, and plan on raising my son the same way I was raised. Somehow, I don't think him watching Daddy play Halo 3 is going to make him go out and kill somebody.

If a kid is nuts, he's nuts. It has nothing to do with what he played, watched, read, saw.

One thing to add: I had my first play with a Wii last night - what an absolutely brilliant concept.  And for the first time, you can play a video game that actually makes you fitter, rather than turning you into a couch potato.

I'm looking forward to a Quake-type first person shoot-em-up that comes with different weapons to plug your controller into, physically as well as in game-play.  Now, that would be really cool :)

I love the Wii just for the fact that you HAVE to move. They're actually starting to use it a lot for the older generation as a form of exercise. Light movement, and grandma and grandpa don't have to suffer the arthritis as much.

Written By: Macphisto on 11/13/07 at 10:26 pm

This is kind of like the gun debate.  Guns don't kill people, people do.

In the same sense, videogames don't make kids violent, a lack of proper parenting in combination with violent video games can.

Any mature game can be handled by a sane and well-raised 15 year old.  By the same token, the same game could also satisfy the dark fantasies of a disturbed 15 year old, but games don't cause mental illness.

Thankfully, cooler heads have prevailed in dealing with video game content in most cases.  The fact that nudity in games still angers parents is the stupid part.  I'd rather my kids see nudity in a game or on TV than have them obsess over violence, but I guess this kind of common sense approach escapes the flawed logic of groups like the American Family Association.

Written By: sonikuu on 11/14/07 at 1:14 am

This is kind of like the gun debate.  Guns don't kill people, people do.

In the same sense, videogames don't make kids violent, a lack of proper parenting in combination with violent video games can.

Any mature game can be handled by a sane and well-raised 15 year old.  By the same token, the same game could also satisfy the dark fantasies of a disturbed 15 year old, but games don't cause mental illness.

Thankfully, cooler heads have prevailed in dealing with video game content in most cases.  The fact that nudity in games still angers parents is the stupid part.  I'd rather my kids see nudity in a game or on TV than have them obsess over violence, but I guess this kind of common sense approach escapes the flawed logic of groups like the American Family Association.

Oh, the nudity thing annoys me too.  Look at Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.  A hidden sexual mini-game that could only be gotten by a cheat device (it was not normally accessible, the code was simply left over in the game) garnered it enormous controversy, a temporary Adults Only rating, and tons of heat from US Congress members like Hillary Clinton.  Here is a game where you can go on violent rampages, shoot at U.S. soldiers, and all that stuff, yet the thing that caused the most controversy was a mini-game of consensual sex that wasn't even normally accessible to begin with.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 11/14/07 at 1:17 am

Oh, the nudity thing annoys me too.  Look at Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.  A hidden sexual mini-game that could only be gotten by a cheat device (it was not normally accessible, the code was simply left over in the game) garnered it enormous controversy, a temporary Adults Only rating, and tons of heat from US Congress members like Hillary Clinton.  Here is a game where you can go on violent rampages, shoot at U.S. soldiers, and all that stuff, yet the thing that caused the most controversy was a mini-game of consensual sex that wasn't even normally accessible to begin with.
I just wanted a video game, not eternal damnation in hell! (NSFW Warning: Language)

Written By: philbo on 11/14/07 at 5:00 am

I just wanted a video game, not eternal damnation in hell! (NSFW Warning: Language)

That is excellent..  You forgot to mention the extreme EXTREME close-up nudity ;)

Written By: Macphisto on 11/15/07 at 12:47 am

Oh, the nudity thing annoys me too.  Look at Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.  A hidden sexual mini-game that could only be gotten by a cheat device (it was not normally accessible, the code was simply left over in the game) garnered it enormous controversy, a temporary Adults Only rating, and tons of heat from US Congress members like Hillary Clinton.  Here is a game where you can go on violent rampages, shoot at U.S. soldiers, and all that stuff, yet the thing that caused the most controversy was a mini-game of consensual sex that wasn't even normally accessible to begin with.

...which would be yet another reason not to vote for Hillary.

Check for new replies or respond here...