» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Mrs. Kerry you did say SOME are UnAmerican!

Written By: saver on 07/25/04 at 11:56 pm

I heard it on the actual NEWSRECORDING. After a speech which Mrs. Kerry mentions how some people are 'UnPennsylvanian Avenue'..she says 'SOME' are UnAmerican. THEN CLEARLY DENIES IT when asked!!!

She  at least could have set the record straight she said SOME but nooooo!

I would have pointed out Bush linking Alq with Saddam as well.
I am only looking for people who admit their faults when caught at it.

Let's watch the news jump on this one.

(This was already on KFI-AM Los Angeles..others may be picking it up as well!)

Subject: Re: Mrs. Kerry you did say SOME are UnAmerican!

Written By: Hairspray on 07/26/04 at 12:59 pm

Yeah; either she wasn't thinking about what the heck she was saying enough to actually remember, admit and explain or she became immediately defensive at the negative tone of the question and chose to deny and run. Well, obviously she hasn't yet been trained in the art of political public speech. :P It's a slight case of "foot in mouth" syndrome.

I fully take back this particular response to this thread, for I hadn't yet read the article and was mislead by the twisting of facts without resources.

Written By: PoPCultureGirl on 07/26/04 at 1:02 pm

Some people ARE "UnAmerican". I guess since I don't know what you're talking about, I can't say I see what the big deal is.  Do you have a link or something, because I have cnn on in the background & I haven't heard anything about it.

Written By: Hairspray on 07/26/04 at 1:05 pm

Here's a link:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5516476/?GT1=4244

Written By: Hairspray on 07/26/04 at 1:47 pm

By the way, to set the facts straight on this issue (for those who don't care to open links):

BOSTON - Teresa Heinz Kerry urged her home-state delegates to the Democratic National Convention to restore a more civil tone to American politics, then minutes later told a newspaperman to “shove it.”

“We need to turn back some of the creeping, un-Pennsylvanian and sometimes un-American traits that are coming into some of our politics,” the wife of Sen. John Kerry told her fellow Pennsylvanians on Sunday night at a Massachusetts Statheouse reception.

Minutes later, Colin McNickle, the editorial page editor of the conservative Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, questioned her on what she meant by the term “un-American,” according to a tape of the encounter recorded by Pittsburgh television station WTAE.

Heinz Kerry said, “I didn’t say that” several times to McNickle. She then turned to confer with Pennsylvania Gov. Ed Rendell and others. When she faced McNickle again a short time later, he continued to question her, and she replied, “You said something I didn’t say. Now shove it.”

The Pennsylvania delegation was the first to be visited by the wife of Kerry, the presumptive Democratic nominee. Before her encounter with McNickle, she criticized the tenor of modern political campaigns, without being specific.

A spokeswoman for Heinz Kerry later said, “This was sheer frustration aimed at a right-wing rag that has consistently and purposely misrepresented the facts in reporting on Mrs. Kerry and her family.”

Asked about the exchange on CNN’s “American Morning,” Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton said Monday, “A lot of Americans are going to say, ’Good for you, you go, girl,’ and that’s certainly how I feel about it.”

Vice President Dick Cheney recently came under criticism for using a four-letter obscenity in an exchange with Sen. Patrick Leahy, D-Vt., on the Senate floor. He later was unapologetic about the remark, saying: “I felt better after I said it.”

As far as that last underlined part is concerned, Dick Cheney's insult to Sen. Patrick Leahy makes Teresa Heinz Kerry's “shove it” reply to that reporter seem like a line from nursery rhyme.

Written By: Hairspray on 07/26/04 at 1:52 pm

I heard it on the actual NEWSRECORDING. After a speech which Mrs. Kerry mentions how some people are 'UnPennsylvanian Avenue'..she says 'SOME' are UnAmerican. THEN CLEARLY DENIES IT when asked!!!

After reading the article, I now understand that she in fact didn't say "Some are UnAmerican".

In fact, what she said was:

“We need to turn back some of the creeping, un-Pennsylvanian and sometimes un-American traits that are coming into some of our politics,” the wife of Sen. John Kerry told her fellow Pennsylvanians on Sunday night at a Massachusetts Statheouse reception.

I fully take back my first response to this thread, for I hadn't yet read the article and was mislead by the twisting of facts without resources.

Written By: PoPCultureGirl on 07/26/04 at 1:57 pm

Thanks for pointing that out, Hairspray.  That's why I wanted a link of some sort, I know how things can be twisted around or mis-construed sometimes. ;)  ESP. by people in the media... :P

Written By: Hairspray on 07/26/04 at 2:04 pm

Thanks for pointing that out, Hairspray.

You're welcome. :)

Written By: GWBush2004 on 07/26/04 at 2:51 pm

But WAIT!!!  The "media" is supposed to be left-biased :o ;) 

They are, thats why ABC, NBC, CNBC, CNN, PBS, and NPR have barley touched this story.

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/26/04 at 4:05 pm

They are, thats why ABC, NBC, CNBC, CNN, PBS, and NPR have barley touched this story.

Maybe they haven't touched it because its a non-story

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/26/04 at 6:47 pm

Yeah; either she wasn't thinking about what the heck she was saying enough to actually remember, admit and explain or she became immediately defensive at the negative tone of the question and chose to deny and run. Well, obviously she hasn't yet been trained in the art of political public speech. :P It's a slight case of "foot in mouth" syndrome.

I fully take back this particular response to this thread, for I hadn't yet read the article and was mislead by the twisting of facts without resources.

Are you "flip-flopping" on this issue, Hairspray?  ;) ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/26/04 at 7:50 pm

Maybe they haven't touched it because its a non-story

Took the words right out of my mouth!

Written By: Hairspray on 07/27/04 at 7:45 am

Are you "flip-flopping" on this issue, Hairspray?  ;) ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Well, I actually did agree with the first post before I went against it.   ;D

Written By: Hairspray on 07/27/04 at 7:58 am

...was mislead by the twisting of facts...

This could indeed be a culprit in an alleged "flip-flopping". ;)

Written By: philbo on 07/27/04 at 8:08 am

This could indeed be a culprit in an alleged "flip-flopping". ;)

Which is why the allegation of "flip-flopping" is so darned stupid in the first place.  There are innumerable possible reasons why someone might change their mind, especially if misled in the first place

Anyway, thanks to you and Cat for making me grin with the flip-flop allegation :D

Written By: Hairspray on 07/27/04 at 8:26 am

thanks to you and Cat for making me grin with the flip-flop allegation :D

Anytime! :)

...the allegation of "flip-flopping" is so darned stupid in the first place.  There are innumerable possible reasons why someone might change their mind, especially if misled in the first place

Hey, the entire world, primarily the American public, was misled by Bush from day 1. So, I completely agree.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/27/04 at 11:52 am

Which is why the allegation of "flip-flopping" is so darned stupid in the first place.  There are innumerable possible reasons why someone might change their mind, especially if misled in the first place

Anyway, thanks to you and Cat for making me grin with the flip-flop allegation :D

Hey, I made someone grin. My job is done.  ;D

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/27/04 at 4:04 pm

After reading the article, I now understand that she in fact didn't say "Some are UnAmerican".

In fact, what she said was:

I fully take back my first response to this thread, for I hadn't yet read the article and was mislead by the twisting of facts without resources.

Hairspray, to quote a former American president, it all depends on what your definition of "is" is.

The bottom line is that Teresa made mention of un-Amercian traits and was asked to clarify (now, really, is it "unfair" if a newsman, on the spot, used the word "activity" instead of "trait"?  It was Teresa who used the inflammatory "un-American" term and, as such, it was fair to ask for clarification).

Instead of clarifying, she told the guy to "shove it".  Why was she afraid to clarify?  What ARE these un-American traits to which she refers?

She took the low road.  Hard to put a positive spin on that.  Much like it is hard to put a positive spin on Cheney telling someone to go "F Themselves".

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/27/04 at 5:04 pm

You know, this is just so much distraction.  How many of you regularly speak in public?  Its part of my job, so I do it regularly, and there have been times when I have put my foot in my mouth, and times when I have said things (according to others) that I don't remember saying.  Certainly, though, there is a difference between "traits" and "activities".

Written By: Hairspray on 07/27/04 at 5:34 pm

To discuss this topic any further is pointless.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/27/04 at 6:27 pm

You know, this is just so much distraction.  How many of you regularly speak in public?  Its part of my job, so I do it regularly, and there have been times when I have put my foot in my mouth, and times when I have said things (according to others) that I don't remember saying.  Certainly, though, there is a difference between "traits" and "activities".

...which is MAYBE why that right-wing-rag-writer was asking for clarification. ???

A clarification, by the way, that so far has not been provided. (Unless I missed the story for that.  Please post a link if its there.) 

What ARE the un-American traits of which she spoke?

I absolutely HATE the "Pittsburgh" Post-Tribune (really just a restickered Greensburg Post Tribune) It truly is a "rag".  But Teresa's evasiveness on what she meant by "un-American traits" now has me intrigued.  WHAT did she mean?  WHY is she being evasive?

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/31/04 at 11:13 pm

It depends on your definition of "Un-American"....... :D

Written By: saver on 08/03/04 at 8:41 pm

It depends on your definition of "Un-American"....... :D

I recently addressed this in another thread...it included catwomans' comment from this column-(always like to hear your input catw, don't take it personally)...
Catw,pointed out the site for the exact speech of Mrs. Kerry..HOWEVER, after reading the recent USA Today article, the altercation with the reporter was about him asking her what she meant by UNAMERiCAN? Yes, she said UNAMERICAN TRAITS, but when asked she said she didn't say UNAMERICAN when she did and told him to shove it, so that's what that was about....

Check for new replies or respond here...