» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Bush tells the truth about his Administration

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/05/04 at 10:22 am

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful...
and so are we.
They never stop thinking of new ways to harm our country and our people...
and neither do we."
:D

Subject: Re: Bush tells the truth about his Administration

Written By: Claude_Prez on 08/05/04 at 12:14 pm

and so are we.
and neither do we."

I gotta say, that's classic.

Written By: danootaandme on 08/05/04 at 12:48 pm

He must be punch drunk from all the dope slaps he gets from poppy ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/05/04 at 4:09 pm

To err so obtusely as leader of the world's most powerful nation is indicative of serious cognitive deficit.  White House spokesman Scott McClellan tried to pass it off, saying something like "Even the most plain-spoken people make mistakes, but it is clear what he meant."  The trouble is, Bush is not plain-spoken, he and his entire administration speak in  a convoluted and deceitful manner, and, no, what he meant is not clear. 
It may be a Freudian slip on the effects his administration's policies are having on this country!!!

Was he trying to say, "and we never stop thinking of new ways to harm our enemies," to follow the logical corollary?  If so, I don't care the sound of that either.

Written By: Don Carlos on 08/05/04 at 4:42 pm

The real point is not what he said, but that the man's brain was fried on cocaine and booze long before he was appointed president.  Do we really want a president who doesn't (can't?) read, can't express his thoughts (if he has any) and is so obviously ignorant?  Let him raise cattle.  His mental prowess and theirs is about on a par (no insult to the cattle intended).

Written By: Dagwood on 08/05/04 at 6:19 pm

Come on, guys.  There has been a time in everyone's life where they have said something that came out wrong.  Give him a break.  I am sure if we looked hard enough, we could find an instance where Kerry said something that came out wrong.  So what.  It happens.  Get over it.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/05/04 at 6:38 pm

Come on, guys.  There has been a time in everyone's life where they have said something that came out wrong.  Give him a break.  I am sure if we looked hard enough, we could find an instance where Kerry said something that came out wrong.  So what.  It happens.  Get over it.

You mean like, "I voted FOR the Iraq funding bill before I voted AGAINST it."  ?

;D ;D

Written By: Don Carlos on 08/05/04 at 6:40 pm

You missed my point.  This stupid "misspeak" isn't the point.  There are at least 2 books of them on the market.  The point is that the man may once have had a brain, but he fried it with cocaine and booze.  He is probably functanally illiterate, and can't be trusted to speak what little mind is left to him.  Yes, everyone misspeaks on occasion - one of my most 2 embarassing moments - but Georgie does it all the time.  I fail to understand how intellegent people can support someone who is just not intellegent, but who revels in his ignorance and lack of intellegence.

Written By: Bobby on 08/05/04 at 6:42 pm

and so are we.
and neither do we."

Is that what Bush said? Ha ha! That man is going to shoot himself in the foot big style one of these days.  ;D

Written By: philbo on 08/05/04 at 6:46 pm

You could argue that this isn't a true "bushism", and what he means is entirely accurate: they are now trying to find ways in which the American people could be harmed, so these methods can be forestalled.  But if he meant that, I'd guess the that Mclellan chappie might have said something different.

Written By: Don Carlos on 08/05/04 at 6:46 pm

You mean like, "I voted FOR the Iraq funding bill before I voted AGAINST it."  ?

;D ;D

This is sheer hyperboli, and a crock.  Congress voted based on (misleading) evidence provided by an administration that was bound and determined to "get" Saddam the day it stole office - check ouit Paul O'Niel's comments.  To be missled is understandable, to CONTINUE to be missled is stupid.  John Kerry is not stupid.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/05/04 at 10:07 pm

;D ;D

He voted against the subsequent funding bill because they changed the bill in ways Kerry believed he could no longer support.  One can agree or disagree with Kerry's decision.  The GOP took Kerry's statement (albeit awkwardly phrased statement) out of context, and the soundbite media neglected to qualify it.

Dubya's gaff is a totally different beast.  It is the accidental misconstruing of his own statement into a comical opposite of intent due to slow-witted cognition.  He didn't even catch himself and say, "excuse me, I meant..."
Everyone gaffs once in a while, but as Don Carlos points out, this guys's mistatements, garble, and malapropisms fill volumes.  Taken in aggregate they present a troubling portrait of poor thought organization and dim intellect.
DC may overstate the effects of cocaine and alcohol on the President's brain.  He is an admitted alcoholic and on the wagon, which is admirable because it's hard for any alcoholic to quit the bottle.  Winston Churchill, on the other hand, was a raging depressive drunk all his life, yet he wrote more books than Dubya's read!  Arthur Canon Doyle of "Sherlock Holmes" fame is one the earliest known cokeheads and he was always one step ahead of his readers.
How much of any substance Dubya's done is an unknown quantity to me. 

Garry "Doonesbury" Trudeau was a couple of years behind Dubya at Yale.  Rolling Stone magazine recently asked Trudeau what he would his reaction would be if somebody had told him at Yale that George W. Bush would someday be President.  "Confusion," replied Trudeau, explaining that Dubya seemed like just another frat boy who was good at ordering the kegs.

I don't think Dubya is dumb all over.  All sources say he's got good social skills and is very much a "people person," at least with people on his side.  Dubya does not seem naive to me, but rather wiley and mean.  Dan Quayle was pitiably stupid.  Dubya, on the other hand, wears his ignorance and verbal ineptitude as a badge of honor.  He thinks it makes him one of the "folks." 

The Bush Administration in general reminds me of a bunch of cynical frat boys trying to fit in on a dude ranch.  The trouble is, the dudes buy the act.  Just today a caller to O'Reilly was ranking on Springsteen, saying he was among the closest thing America has to "aristocracy."  Never mind that Springsteen grew up blue collar in New Jersey and earned his fame by his own sweat (uh, literally!), while Dubya is a scion of financial wealth and political connections who had it all handed to him.  Analysis is lost when partisan politics is reduced to the mentality of a high school football rivalry.

No, I will not give Dubya a "break."  That would be irresponsible.  Fewer and fewer people are willing to give him a break anymore, including many of his beloved class of corporate CEOs.  If I can find the list of CEOs supporting Kerry, I'll post it.
Powerful people who would otherwise be partisan Republicans are acknowledging that the George W. Bush Presidency has been disasterous for our economy and foreign relations.  There is no partisan Democrat vigor emerging from the financial elite.  They're not nuts about Kerry and would rather have a normal Republican like John McCaine to support.  It's this particular Republican, George W. Bush, and his administration they backing away from.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/06/04 at 3:18 am

Going to??? ;)

Maybe Bobby meant it literally.  Dubya fell off his mountain bike again last week! D'ohhh!  The next accident could happen while he's cleaning his duck-hunting gun!
:o

Written By: Bobby on 08/06/04 at 3:43 am

Going to??? ;)

Haven't you heard that expression before, 80s cheerleader? When 'someone shoots him/herself in the foot' it means s/he has said or done something to his own detriment. Bush really didn't help himself by saying what he said.  ;D

Written By: Bobby on 08/06/04 at 3:45 am

Maybe Bobby meant it literally.  Dubya fell off his mountain bike again last week! D'ohhh!  The next accident could happen while he's cleaning his duck-hunting gun!
:o

LOL. Thank you for adding some significance to my expression, Maxwell. I didn't realise how clumsy he was. Unfortunately, there was no hidden meaning behind the expression.  ;D

Written By: dude on 08/06/04 at 5:02 am

Plain and simple.............as Smart Maxwell said, it's a classic Freudian slip.

Written By: Dagwood on 08/06/04 at 7:10 am

You missed my point.  This stupid "misspeak" isn't the point.  There are at least 2 books of them on the market.  The point is that the man may once have had a brain, but he fried it with cocaine and booze.  He is probably functanally illiterate, and can't be trusted to speak what little mind is left to him.  Yes, everyone misspeaks on occasion - one of my most 2 embarassing moments - but Georgie does it all the time.  I fail to understand how intellegent people can support someone who is just not intellegent, but who revels in his ignorance and lack of intellegence.

I got your meaning.  I just don't think that misspeaking means one is not intelligent.  There are lots of intelligent people that don't do well with public speaking.  Just because someone isn't a good speaker doesn't make them stupid.  I know he was probably a lot smarter before the drugs...I just don't think he is as stupid as others think he is.

Written By: danootaandme on 08/06/04 at 10:00 am

I got your meaning.  I just don't think that misspeaking means one is not intelligent.  There are lots of intelligent people that don't do well with public speaking.  Just because someone isn't a good speaker doesn't make them stupid.  I know he was probably a lot smarter before the drugs...I just don't think he is as stupid as others think he is.

I have to admit that I am a misspeaker.  I do it all the time and it doesn't have anything to do with
intelligence.  The big difference is that I know that I tend to do it, so I try to be careful with my
words if I know that I may be quoted or taken out of context. The fact that he doesn't have the intelligence to deal with the problem considering his position in the world is what is troubling.

Written By: Don Carlos on 08/06/04 at 1:36 pm

Haven't you heard that expression before, 80s cheerleader? When 'someone shoots him/herself in the foot' it means s/he has said or done something to his own detriment. Bush really didn't help himself by saying what he said.  ;D

I think she got your point. "Going to" suggests that he already has.  Not that all democrates are Einstiens, but I WOULD vote for Georgie if he ran for village idiot. ;)

Written By: Johnny_D on 08/06/04 at 5:03 pm

Iraq explained .....

Written By: Bobby on 08/06/04 at 5:05 pm

I think she got your point. "Going to" suggests that he already has.  Not that all democrates are Einstiens, but I WOULD vote for Georgie if he ran for village idiot. ;)

Oh right. Sorry 80s cheerleader. It sounded like you hadn't heard the expression before and I am full of colloquialisms.  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/06/04 at 5:45 pm

Iraq explained .....

Haw haw haw!
;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/06/04 at 6:33 pm

Iraq explained .....

EXCELLENT!!! BRAVO!!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D :D :D

Cat

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/06/04 at 11:10 pm

Well said Dagny, but it's election time and the wolves are out to talk crap....rock that vote baby ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/06/04 at 11:17 pm

Well said Dagny, but it's election time and the wolves are out to talk crap....rock that vote baby ::)

Praytell, who are the "wolves" and what is the "crap"?

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/06/04 at 11:26 pm

the term "Rock The Vote" holds the key to the answer....oh curious one ;)

Written By: Bobby on 08/07/04 at 8:35 am

I was playing on the fact that she said "he is going to...one of these days", like DC said, I meant that he wasn't "going to", he "already did". ;)

Yes, the penny dropped in the end, 80s cheerleader. I should have given you more credit.  ;D

Written By: Dagwood on 08/07/04 at 9:31 am

They are the people (on both sides, mind you) that talk crap about the opposing candidate.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/07/04 at 10:14 am

They are the people (on both sides, mind you) that talk crap about the opposing candidate.
That's exactly right  ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/07/04 at 2:42 pm

Oh, you mean encouraging young people to vote--maybe vote their true economic interests?  For shame!

Written By: Don Carlos on 08/07/04 at 5:14 pm

In my neck of the woods "rock the vote" means getting more people to the polls.  Is that a bad think?

Written By: Dagwood on 08/07/04 at 5:37 pm

Which is why, if there ever was a candidate who didn't talk crap, I would vote for them whether or not I agreed with them.  Don't think it'll ever happen, though Edwards was pretty close in the primary to doing so.  He said he wouldn't and I don't recall ever hearing him bash any of the other primary candidates :)

I am with you, Cheer.  I think the candidate that didn't bash the others would have a huge following.

Written By: Johnny_D on 08/07/04 at 5:42 pm

Fifty Ways to Harm Our Country

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/07/04 at 5:44 pm

In my neck of the woods "rock the vote" means getting more people to the polls.  Is that a bad think?
Not at all...just being toungue in cheek....NOT foot in mouth ;)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 08/07/04 at 6:39 pm

The importance of reading is gold...it's not the first time. A president should look commanding and strong, not like a scared, inept little boy.

Tanya

Written By: Tanya1976 on 08/07/04 at 6:40 pm

Iraq explained .....

Too funny!

Tanya

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/07/04 at 7:13 pm

The importance of reading is gold...it's not the first time. A president should look commanding and strong, not like a scared, inept little boy.

Tanya

His supporters praise him in similar terms, but you don't find Bush "commanding and strong"?

I wish it was true that a candidate who did not bash his or her opponent would gain much support.  However, the ugly reality of national politics makes that impossible. 

Written By: dude on 08/08/04 at 4:30 am

Fifty Ways to Harm Our Country

Good job Johnny D! I always did dig that song (the original) and your "version" is great!

Written By: BodaciousBoy on 08/08/04 at 5:27 pm

Tanya
Or a fat outta shape adulterer ::)
http://politicalhumor.about.com/library/graphics/clinton_mylife_sucks.jpg

Written By: Tanya1976 on 08/08/04 at 6:48 pm

His supporters praise him in similar terms, but you don't find Bush "commanding and strong"?

I wish it was true that a candidate who did not bash his or her opponent would gain much support.  However, the ugly reality of national politics makes that impossible. 

He is as commanding and strong as a hemorrhoid in the middle of summer! I couldn't hold a straight face and use this phrase to describe him.

Tanya

Check for new replies or respond here...