» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Alan Keyes???

Written By: danootaandme on 08/08/04 at 3:49 pm

Is there anyone who is taking this seriously???? :D

Subject: Re: Alan Keyes???

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/08/04 at 4:57 pm

Is there anyone who is taking this seriously???? :D

It is simply amazing that the Republican Party, which is very strong historically in illinois, can not seem to come up with a decent candidate for Senator.

Mind you, I am nod "dissing" Keyes here, just observing that he is not an Illinois resident and they are importing him at the last minute.

The cast of Republican Senatorial primary Candidates was a travesty.  I personally know one of those candidates, and I was absolutely amazed that ANYBODY would have voted for him, let alone contributed to his campaign.  Ryan won the primary basically as the "least objectionable" of a slate of zeroes.

There's no way that Keyes is going to win this thing.  Too late into the game, especially when you consider that the Party offered the nomination to Mike Ditka first.  :P

Written By: Dagwood on 08/08/04 at 5:02 pm

Taking what seriously?  Is he running for the senate now?  I haven't heard anything about him since the last election.

Written By: danootaandme on 08/08/04 at 5:28 pm

Taking what seriously?  Is he running for the senate now?  I haven't heard anything about him since the last election.

Yes, he is going to move to Illinois to run against  Barak Obama.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 08/08/04 at 6:46 pm

He lives in Maryland now, so how serious can this be? The republicans already now they will be defeated, so they toss the first African-American in the ring that's in their party.

Tanya

Written By: Dagwood on 08/08/04 at 7:35 pm

That is ridiculous.  Why doesn't he just try to run in his home state?  Obama seems like a smart man.  I think he should have a chance to prove himself to be a leader.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/08/04 at 8:04 pm

That is ridiculous.  Why doesn't he just try to run in his home state?  Obama seems like a smart man.  I think he should have a chance to prove himself to be a leader.

You could have asked the same question of Robert Kennedy and Millary Clinton, both of whom gratuitously moved to New York to run for the Senate.

Keyes is obviously gonna lose this one though.  Too late in the game.  I can't figure how he got suckered into this since it is not a "plus" for his political career.  :-\\

Written By: danootaandme on 08/08/04 at 8:14 pm

You could have asked the same question of Robert Kennedy and Millary Clinton, both of whom gratuitously moved to New York to run for the Senate.

Keyes is obviously gonna lose this one though.  Too late in the game.  I can't figure how he got suckered into this since it is not a "plus" for his political career.  :-\

Yes, but Keyes has already lost twice in his home state of Maryland, and they, at least, established
residency, then announced they were running.  He has announced that he will run, but now has to
scramble to establish his residence.

Written By: Dagwood on 08/08/04 at 8:49 pm

I wasn't alive for Robert Kennedy, but I did ask that question of Hillary.  Her move and run in New York screamed of opportunism to me.  It didn't seem right.  I think maybe she should have moved there and lived there for a couple of years or so before she ran. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/09/04 at 12:13 am

I don't agree with his politics, but I rather like Alan Keyes.  I think he's sincere in what he believes.  He is a little fanatical and stubborn, but no crime there.  I wish Keyes was still on MSNBC, instead of frickin' Joe Sourdough!

Written By: danootaandme on 08/09/04 at 7:22 am

I don't agree with his politics, but I rather like Alan Keyes.  I think he's sincere in what he believes.  He is a little fanatical and stubborn, but no crime there.  I wish Keyes was still on MSNBC, instead of frickin' Joe Sourdough!

But all of this doesn't make him a viable candidate.  I question why he would want to do this,
other than for publicity

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/09/04 at 8:14 am

As an Illinoisian (is that what I am? ???) I think this is a load of BS.  First of all, Ryan has not stepped down "officially", second, if he does, the logical candidate would be Jim Oberweis.  IMO, Obama is the best choice of all 3.  He is quite intelligent and seems quite sincere and honest, a rarity in politics these days.

Cheer,

You will not see Oberweis named.  A ton of "stuff" would come out very quickly on that guy.  I am amazed that it did not come out during the primaries.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/09/04 at 11:42 am

I just can't believe that the GOP can't find ONE Republican from Illinois to run.

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 08/09/04 at 1:11 pm

I just can't believe that the GOP can't find ONE Republican from Illinois to run.

Cat

Yeah, when you consider that Massachusetts has a reputation of being all liberal, all Democrat, all
the time, we have a very Republican governor.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/09/04 at 1:55 pm

Yeah, when you consider that Massachusetts has a reputation of being all liberal, all Democrat, all
the time, we have a very Republican governor.

Not just a Republican, a far-right Mormon straight from Utah!

Written By: GWBush2004 on 08/09/04 at 2:56 pm

Cat

They did, Jack Ryan, then the democrats went through his sealed records and forced him out.  Then they went for Ditka, but he didn't want it.  IL is a blue state remember?  Anyway Keyes and the GOP there know he won't win, its just to late, but they didn't want Obama to get in completly unopposed.  He may screw up big time and Keyes could win.  Obama is like Edwards, no experience, never done any thing important, is running soley on youth and looks.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/09/04 at 4:16 pm

They did, Jack Ryan, then the democrats went through his sealed records and forced him out.  Then they went for Ditka, but he didn't want it.  IL is a blue state remember?  Anyway Keyes and the GOP there know he won't win, its just to late, but they didn't want Obama to get in completly unopposed.  He may screw up big time and Keyes could win.  Obama is like Edwards, no experience, never done any thing important, is running soley on youth and looks.

As I recall it was a Federal court that had Ryan's divorce records unsealed, at the request of the media.

I wonder if we will see Kerry's divorce records also unsealed?  ???

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/09/04 at 4:19 pm

As I recall it was a Federal court that had Ryan's divorce records unsealed, at the request of the media.

I wonder if we will see Kerry's divorce records also unsealed?  ???

I just did some research.  It was not a FEDERAL judge that unsealed the records, it was a California judge in Los Angeles Superior Court who did the deed.

Written By: danootaandme on 08/09/04 at 5:05 pm

Obama is like Edwards, no experience, never done any thing important, is running soley on youth and looks.

I would think that being elected three times to the Illinois State Senate counts for something.
He sits on three state committees. He was also graduated Magna from Harvard Law and was
President of the Harvard Law Review.  Seems like he's not just another pretty face.  Oh, and it
was his grades that got him into Harvard, not his daddy. Check his website there is much more.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/09/04 at 6:30 pm

Are you saying that those two are the ONLY Republicans that live in IL?

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/09/04 at 6:35 pm

Are you saying that those two are the ONLY Republicans that live in IL?

Cat

No there was another one, who was banished from the securities business for 10 years by the SEC, but the voters did not seem to think he deserved the nomination.  On his first run he ran as pro-abortion, and the second time he ran as anti-abortion (I may have the order mixed up there).

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/09/04 at 7:21 pm

Not digress too much but if Edwards was a right-wing Republican corporate lawyer, you'd be praising him as a "Washtington outsider."  They even tried to push Dubya as a "Washington outsider" when he's the scion of the most powerful political family in Amerca. 

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/10/04 at 9:30 pm

I wasn't alive for Robert Kennedy, but I did ask that question of Hillary.  Her move and run in New York screamed of opportunism to me.  It didn't seem right.  I think maybe she should have moved there and lived there for a couple of years or so before she ran. 

When Pat Buchanan suggested on fox news channel in march of 2000 that he run for senate against Clinton in New York, Keyes responded "I deeply resent the destruction of federalism represented by Hillary Clinton's willingness go into a state she doesn't even live in and pretend to represent people there, so I certainly wouldn't imitate it." That is from Alan Keyes three years ago.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/11/04 at 12:31 am

What I've seen of Keyes on TV over the past few days is chilling.  He seems really hostile and angry, maybe a little cracked up, too. 
I don't what I was thinking!
:P

Written By: Dagwood on 08/11/04 at 7:19 am

When Pat Buchanan suggested on fox news channel in march of 2000 that he run for senate against Clinton in New York, Keyes responded "I deeply resent the destruction of federalism represented by Hillary Clinton's willingness go into a state she doesn't even live in and pretend to represent people there, so I certainly wouldn't imitate it." That is from Alan Keyes three years ago.

Alrighty then.  Sounds like a case of selective memory to me. ::)

Written By: danootaandme on 08/11/04 at 5:31 pm

Keyes was on the news today singing "Somewhere Over the Rainbow"...didn't hear exactly why he was doing it, though.  Is a good singing voice a prerequisite for being a Congressman? ;D :D

Probably hoping he'll be able to get in tune with Ashcroft, another well known songster.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/11/04 at 9:02 pm

Keyes was on the news today singing "Somewhere Over the Rainbow"...didn't hear exactly why he was doing it, though.  Is a good singing voice a prerequisite for being a Congressman? ;D :D

Like I say, I think Keyes has blown a few circuits!
:D

Written By: MooRocca on 09/02/04 at 8:30 am

Sorry to dig this topic up, but did anyone else hear Keyes comments re: homosexuals?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/02/04 at 11:05 am

Sorry to dig this topic up, but did anyone else hear Keyes comments re: homosexuals?  In an interview on Sirius radio, he called Cheney's daughter (and all homosexuals) "selfish hedonists".  Last night, I heard him trying to justify/explain it and he dug his hole even deeper by saying that the "SOLE purpose of marriage is procreation".  All I could say was http://www.inthe00s.com/smilies/eek2.gif

Well, if the "SOLE purpose of marriage is procration" then Carlos and I shouldn't have gotten married.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/02/04 at 8:26 pm

Well, if the "SOLE purpose of marriage is procration" then Carlos and I shouldn't have gotten married.

Cat

No one ever brings the purpose of "procreation" up when septegenarian sweethearts get married.  I think all this pontificating on the purpose of marriage is subterfuge for certain people's disdain of for homosexuality.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/02/04 at 10:44 pm

That's true. I never even thought of that.

Tanya

Written By: Dagwood on 09/03/04 at 8:01 am

Not just a Republican, a far-right Mormon straight from Utah!

So?  It seems like the majority of Massachusetts wanted him to be governor.  He was elected.  Why do you have to bring religion into it?  I am in Utah and I can tell you that most of the people here are not far-right.  Only a few are.

And, Mitt hasn't lived here for a long time.  Sure, he was here during the Olympics, but he was running them.  Other than that he has been in Massachusetts. 

Written By: danootaandme on 09/03/04 at 8:21 am

So?  It seems like the majority of Massachusetts wanted him to be governor.  He was elected.  Why do you have to bring religion into it?  I am in Utah and I can tell you that most of the people here are not far-right.  Only a few are.

And, Mitt hasn't lived here for a long time.  Sure, he was here during the Olympics, but he was running them.  Other than that he has been in Massachusetts. 

That's true, Mitt came to us from Michigan, his only connection to Utah is his religion. We must pay attention to him. he will be in the next presidential election, and he will be a formidable opponent in his own right, as opposed to daddy buying it for him for christmas.

Written By: Dagwood on 09/03/04 at 8:32 am

He is a very charismatic man.  Did a wonderful job with the olympics after the bribery scandal that the previous guy left him.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/03/04 at 8:44 am

He is a very charismatic man.  Did a wonderful job with the olympics after the bribery scandal that the previous guy left him.

I'm not sure if I mentioned this before, but his job before that was as a venture capitalist, swallowing
up small business, laying off the employees, hiring them back at lesser pay with fewer benefits.
He ran against Ted Kennedy for the senate seat, but lost of course.  During his campaign he tried to
come off as just a regular guy who came to Massachusetts in a U-Haul.  Of course he left out, but it
was reported, that when he came his father bought him a house in very upscale Belmont, and his wife
said that they still had it tough, they actually had to dip into there principal at one point.  HORRORS!
:o

Written By: Dagwood on 09/03/04 at 7:31 pm

Sucks to be rich, doesn't it. ::)  Wish I could have his $$ problems.

Check for new replies or respond here...