» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: It was Bob Kerrey not John Kerry

Written By: GWBush2004 on 08/17/04 at 11:06 pm

Has anyone else heard about this, John F. Kerry claiming to be the vice-chairman of the Intelligence commit, and even saying on his website he was, but John Kerry lied it was Bob Kerrey!  I can't explain it well so i'll let el Rushbo do it (just lay off the jokes):

RUSH: Get this. Fox News yesterday had a segment. It was in the afternoon. The Kerry campaign, the John Kerry campaign, in angry response to the Bush campaign claim that Senator Kerry attended very few intelligence briefings. We talked about this yesterday, and we had the audio from Pat Roberts, the Republican chairman of the committee and he said, "Hey, if Senator Kerry will give us permission to release the attendance records of both the public and the closed hearings, we can settle this," because the Bush campaign is out there saying this guy doesn't care about intelligence, and he's voted to cut intelligence left and right throughout his career, now he's not even showing up at the committee hearings be they open or closed.

And so the Kerry campaign got really in a huff, and they got angry, and they responded to Bush. They said that Kerry had at one time been the vice-chairman of the Intelligence committee. In response to that, the Bush people said, "No, it wasn't you. It was Bob Kerrey who was the vice-chairman of the intelligence committee." (Laughing.) Fox went on to say that Bob Kerrey (story) had attended three times as many intelligence briefings as John Kerry and that Bob had also contested John Kerry's attempt to cut the budget of the intelligence agencies by $6 billion.

So, ladies and gentlemen, the damn conductor has screwed up again. The conductor of the train has told somebody that the wrong Kerrey was the vice-chairman. Do you believe this? It's on their website. (See it at johnkerry.com) They were putting it out that John Kerry was the vice-chairman of the Intelligence committee when it wasn't, it was Bob Kerrey. 

And so last night, the Fox News Channel played a tape from one of Kerry's advisors, Tad Devine. I've noticed something about this guy. You're not supposed to say things like this, folks, but I can't help it. Because this is one of those guys the Kerry campaign puts out there to spread the message. It just looks like he has a constant sneer on his face. His facial expression looks like he's sneering. I saw him last night. He was on Matthews' show, Hardboiled, and he was on with Matt Dowd, who's from the Bush-Cheney committee, and they were arguing about something else, but this Tad Devine, I mean just looks like he's sneering. You know, all these Kerry people look like they're mad at the world and mean and all these celebrity supporters out there mad at the world and mean and all the Michael Moores -- you just wonder, this does not seem to me to be the recipe for going out and spreading the love and compassion and good vibes and all that.

Anyway, I got off the beaten path there for a moment. Asked Tad Devine about this, wait a minute, you guys are saying that your candidate, Senator John Kerry, was the vice-chairman of the intelligence committee, and you're wrong it was Bob Kerrey. (Laughing.) Just unbelievable.

Folks, is there any wonder why people are looking into the four different versions now of the Cambodia story? (Laughing.) And, by the way, there are beginning to be some cracks in the mainstream press. There are a couple columnists here today, one in Houston, beginning to wonder where his colleagues are investigating these charges. So there's pressure being applied to the mainstream elite partisan media. I don't know if it's going to work, but people are beginning to note.

Anyway here's what Tad -- here -- oh, is that what it was? Oh, I'm sorry, I've just been told the Kerry campaign has put out a statement: Kerry was the secret vice chairman of the Intelligence committee, and it's seared in his mind that he was secret vice-chairman of the committee. (Laughing.) You know, we sit here and laugh, but we're getting into this gray area here where we need professional, licensed analysts to explain this behavior to us, ladies and gentlemen. To say that he was the vice-chairman of the committee? And, you know, this is not a mistake. They're trying to get away with something. They're trying to get away with something, thinking people aren't going to look, hat they're just going to automatically take the Kerry campaign's word. Anyway, here's what Tad Devine had to say when he was asked about this.

DEVINE: I'll have to check the with issues people. It was my understanding he was but, you know, if that's not a factual case, I'm sure we'll be happy to correct the record.

RUSH: You will? Be happy to correct the record? How about correct the mistake? How about sending somebody to the woodshed for this. Whose fault is it? Of course, it will never be the candidate's fault, he didn't put this up on the website, because he never was the vice-chairman. Everybody knows that. They'll blame the conductor of the train; they'll blame the speechwriter or somebody.

Last night, I have to tell you this because this Devine guy was, as I said, on Hardball with Chris Matthews, and one of the things that they were discussing/debating was the hateful rhetoric that is reverberating on the left in this country, and Devine's answer to it was (paraphrasing), "Well, it's Bush's fault. Bush is the most partisan president in the history of the country. And he is causing all this hatred. We don't blame our people for this. We understand it." Just unbelievable. I mean even the people who are engaging in this hateful, irrational behavior themselves are not responsible for it. It's Bush's fault.

Anyway, we've got the documentation here. I guess we could put this on the website. (See it at JohnKerry.com) "John Kerry is an experienced leader in the intelligence field. John Kerry served on the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence for eight years as the former vice-chairman of the committee," is what it says on the website. And he's not. It's Bob Kerrey.

You know, this just follows a series of -- what are we going to call them, lies, misstatements, mistakes, what have you -- all over Kerry's website about his Christmas in Cambodia. And this just gives more ammo, and I think it gives more weight and adds more curiosity to the charges that are made in the book Unfit for Command.

You know, I joke when I say that we need licensed, professional help to help us analyze this. I'm half serious when I say this. You know, real and imaginary are totally interchangeable to this guy. Real can become imaginary, imagine carry can be real. If he thinks he was there, he was there. I'm not highly trained enough in this field to be able to define this or explain to you what it is, but I mean beyond the fact that somebody's fantasizing. And I think we may have a case of a candidate here who engages in fantasies and has all this life, and if he thinks that he did it, he did it. If he thinks he was vice-chairman he was vice-chairman. If he was in Cambodia on Christmas, then he was. And don't tell him wasn't because he'll say, (Kerry impression) "I don't lie, and I don't make things up, and I don't fall on the ski slopes." Remember that one? And of course we haven't even gotten to the story, he flew his hairdresser out there, once again, to trim his locks. Actually, you know, I was kind of surprised that made big news. I mean, I fly my stylist to New York all the time when I can't get it done here. I thought everybody did that.

Subject: Re: It was Bob Kerrey not John Kerry

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/18/04 at 10:40 am

Brevity, sir, brevity.

I googled this matter, but I didn't find any sources othern than a couple of right-wing sites who would take El Rushbo at face value.  Maybe it'll get more coverage in the next few days.  Until then...

Written By: MooRocca on 08/18/04 at 1:27 pm

And so the Kerry campaign got really in a huff, and they got angry, and they responded to Bush. They said that Kerry had at one time been the vice-chairman of the Intelligence committee. In response to that, the Bush people said, "No, it wasn't you. It was Bob Kerrey who was the vice-chairman of the intelligence committee." (Laughing.)

I can't find anything about this, either.  Can you provide more information that might help me (and others) to locate a recording or transcript of the actual statement? 

1.  Who in the Kerry campaign (names/positions) made this statement?
2.  To whom in the Bush campaign did he/she/they make this statement?
3.  When was this statement made?
4.  Where was this statement made?
5.  Was this statement made in front of an audience or other witnesses (reporters, camera crew, etc.?)
6.  Was this statement televised or broadcast on the radio?
7.  Was this statement an official response on the part of the Kerry campaign?

Written By: Don Carlos on 08/18/04 at 2:00 pm

I can't find anything about this, either.  Can you provide more information that might help me (and others) to locate a recording or transcript of the actual statement? 

1.  Who in the Kerry campaign (names/positions) made this statement?
2.  To whom in the Bush campaign did he/she/they make this statement?
3.  When was this statement made?
4.  Where was this statement made?
5.  Was this statement made in front of an audience or other witnesses (reporters, camera crew, etc.?)
6.  Was this statement televised or broadcast on the radio?
7.  Was this statement an official response on the part of the Kerry campaign?

Good questions, but don't hold your breath waiting for verifyable answers.  The slanderers make it up as  they go along.  They get lots of attention with the initial accusations, but the retractions, whichthey almost always have to make, get very little, and the damage is done.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/18/04 at 3:21 pm

I came across the story in several of the news wires.

From what I can tell, some staff weinies in the Kerry campaign had posted on the web site that Kerry had been vice-chairman of that committee.

In my opinion, it was simply an error if "incompetence" committed by some lower-level operative in the Kerry campaign.

Why all of this is a big news story is beyond me.  :-\\

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/18/04 at 8:22 pm

From what I can tell, some staff weinies in the Kerry campaign had posted on the web site that Kerry had been vice-chairman of that committee.

In my opinion, it was simply an error if "incompetence" committed by some lower-level operative in the Kerry campaign.

Why all of this is a big news story is beyond me.   :-\\

Do you have a link to the AP story, or another general wire service?  I'd like to read it but, I don't wanna go googling around for it.

Written By: Don Carlos on 08/19/04 at 3:02 pm

Why all of this is a big news story is beyond me.   :-\\

You're probably right.  But see my post above.  An example is the recent flap over the "Swift Boats" folks denouncing Kerry's Bronze Star.  Turns out that Thurlow, their spokesman, also won a Bronze Star that day, and in his official military record reported that ALL the boats came under small arms and automatic weopons fire that day, even though he has said that Kerry's boat didn't. ( http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20040819/pl_nm/campaign_kerry_critic_dc_8 ) Will Rush discuss this on the air?  Will Fox present it?  So the inaccurate accusation is made, gets lots of press, and then the correction gets ignored, and even if it doesn't, damage done.

Check for new replies or respond here...