» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Cheney's Comments re: Homosexual Daughter and Homosexual Marriage

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/26/04 at 8:05 am

Cheney's comments of a few days ago raise some interesting issues and observations.  If I have this correctly, he was asked how he felt about the hetero-only marriage issue, and he said that "It shoudl be left up to the states", which is not what the general Republican Party Platform calls for.

Some analysis/comments on my part:

1.  This shows that the Repub party (just like the Dem party) is not a granite monolith.  Major figures do not have to agree on every issue.  That's honest.  For example, Colin Powell is pro-affirmative action and pro-abortion.

2.  The "states rights" issue is exactly what I would state myself.  However, I think the reason why a Constitutional Amendment is being pursued is the fear that the US Supreme Court will grant a blanket right to homosexual marriage, thus usurping States Rights. (i.e., declare the "Defense of marriage Act" DOMA unconstitutional).

Now, some ultra-conservative repub "supporters" have their panties in a wad over Cheneys comments.  That's dumb.  I would rather have a candidate who openly and honestly expresses a difference with a particular plank in a party platform, than a poseur who pretends to agree 100% with everything.

Some Democrats and far-lefties point at Cheney's comments as some sort of significant "split" or "dicsord" within the Repub party.  That is also silly.  A guy who has a homosexual daughter said leave it up to the states.  Big deal.

My final opinion?  If I passed a Constitutional Amendment at all, it would be to make the DOMA constitutional.  That way, if Pennsylvania wants to do homosexual marriages, fine.  And if Ohio makes recognition of said marriages within Ohio illegal, that's fine too.  That is called States Rights.

Comments anyone?  ???

Subject: Re: Cheney's Comments re: Homosexual Daughter and Homosexual Marriage

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/26/04 at 10:32 am

It shows bigotry is harder to practice when your own kid is one of "them."
::)

Anyway, gay marriage doesn't really matter to the true Republican agenda--make the rich richer, comfort the comfortable, afflict the afflicted--it's just a distraction from the GOP/corporate fleecing of America.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/26/04 at 11:06 am

It shows bigotry is harder to practice when your own kid is one of "them."

Anyway, gay marriage doesn't really matter to the true Republican agenda--make the rich richer, comfort the comfortable, afflict the afflicted--it's just a distraction from the GOP/corporate fleecing of America.

Though Cheney did not say it in that interview (as far as I know), he has any number of times stated his personal opposition to homosexual marriage and has said "leave it to the states".

So I do not see his recent statement making him any less or more "bigoted".  He is still against homosexual marriage.  If anything, it further promoted his idea of "Federalism", which is fine by me.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/26/04 at 11:16 am

Though Cheney did not say it in that interview (as far as I know), he has any number of times stated his personal opposition to homosexual marriage and has said "leave it to the states".

So I do not see his recent statement making him any less or more "bigoted".  He is still against homosexual marriage.  If anything, it further promoted his idea of "Federalism", which is fine by me.

I shouldn't presume Cheney is personally bigoted, and "leave it to the states" is at least consistent with the "federalism" these guys support in other areas.  My point was more that gay marriage per se isn't really a big deal to corporatists like Cheney, though I'm sure it is to fundamentalist idealogues such as Ashcroft.

Written By: Don Carlos on 08/26/04 at 1:46 pm

The problem (for the anti's) is the "good faith and credit" clause in the Constitution could force Virginia to recognize Vermont's civil unions or Mass. gay marriages. 

The more important issue to me is the question of why people fear legal recognition of gay relationships.  I have a lesbian cousin, who is in a long term relationship with a terrific person.  How would legal recognition of that union inb any way threaten my marriage, or any other hetero union?  Its just beyond me.  The only explanation I can see is homophobia.

Written By: danootaandme on 08/26/04 at 2:50 pm

All I see is political posturing.  The republicans stand to lose votes in a very tight race over gay marriage,
so Cheney takes a sympathetic tone using his daughter, the hope being that
conservative gays(yeah, imagine) say "well perhaps we have a voice here with Cheney, and he will
have some influence".  I admit I am cynical, but then we are up against Rove, it is a necessary.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/26/04 at 3:26 pm

All I see is political posturing.  The republicans stand to lose votes in a very tight race over gay marriage,
so Cheney takes a sympathetic tone using his daughter, the hope being that
conservative gays(yeah, imagine) say "well perhaps we have a voice here with Cheney, and he will
have some influence".  I admit I am cynical, but then we are up against Rove, it is a necessary.

I doubt that htis is electioneering.  Cheney has been pretty consistent on this issue all along.  As for losing votes, I don;t see how this issue "costs" the repubs.  In both California and Missouri, hetero-only marriage laws (Missouri being a constitution amandment) passed with~70% of the vote.  The "odds" would work IN FAVOR of the Repub ticket if anything on this issue.

The problem (for the anti's) is the "good faith and credit" clause in the Constitution could force Virginia to recognize Vermont's civil unions or Mass. gay marriages.

...Thus the desire for a US Constitutional amendment.  For now, political "wafflers" on the issue simply punt the subject back to states rights.  They are hiding and pandering.  .  But if/when the SCOTUS nullifies the DOMA, you would see all heck break loose, and the "wafflers" will have to make a real stand... either way.

As I've said, the appropriate US Constitution change would be to essentially make the DOMA constitutional, which then would leave it up to each state to decide for itself.

Written By: Dagwood on 08/26/04 at 9:04 pm

The more important issue to me is the question of why people fear legal recognition of gay relationships. I have a lesbian cousin, who is in a long term relationship with a terrific person. How would legal recognition of that union inb any way threaten my marriage, or any other hetero union? Its just beyond me. The only explanation I can see is homophobia.

That is offensive to me.  I have religious reasons to believe that gay marriage is wrong.  That does not make me homophobic.  I know it doesn't threaten hetero marriages, I just believe it is wrong.  People can believe differently than you and not be wrong or phobic...it is an opinion.  I have a feeling that a majority of the people who oppose gay marriage do so for the same reasons I do.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/26/04 at 9:09 pm

That is offensive to me.  I have religious reasons to believe that gay marriage is wrong.  That does not make me homophobic.  I know it doesn't threaten hetero marriages, I just believe it is wrong.  People can believe differently than you and not be wrong or phobic...it is an opinion.

Dagwood you are clearly wrong.  You see, if you hold an opinion opposite to the "PC View", you are by definition either a bigot, a hater, or a fill-in-the-blank-o-phobe.

:P

Written By: Dagwood on 08/26/04 at 9:11 pm

Dagwood you are clearly wrong. You see, if you hold an opinion opposite to the "PC View", you are by definition either a bigot, a hater, or a fill-in-the-blank-o-phobe.

I know, what was I thinking? :P

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/26/04 at 9:19 pm

Dagwood you are clearly wrong.  You see, if you hold an opinion opposite to the "PC View", you are by definition either a bigot, a hater, or a fill-in-the-blank-o-phobe.

HEY....you forgot about ME!

Written By: Don Carlos on 08/27/04 at 11:46 am

That is offensive to me.  I have religious reasons to believe that gay marriage is wrong.  That does not make me homophobic.  I know it doesn't threaten hetero marriages, I just believe it is wrong.  People can believe differently than you and not be wrong or phobic...it is an opinion.  I have a feeling that a majority of the people who oppose gay marriage do so for the same reasons I do.

I'm sorry you find it offensive, and I respect your right to your religious beliefs.  Keep them in your church and out of our laws.  No one is advocating that churches should perform gay marriages if they choose  not to, simply that the state should provide legal recognition for gay unions.  There are lots of things various religious groups find sinful, like eating pork.  Should those prohibitions also become part of our legal structure? 

Written By: danootaandme on 08/27/04 at 12:26 pm

The reason we have separation of church and state in the United States was because the founders were well aware of the ramifications of state sanctioned religion.  My ancestors were held in slavery and the goodness of slavery was extolled from the pulpits of America. I would suggest it best to leave the religious aspect out of the debate, and try to stick to a debate on what you believe the merits, or consequences to society.

Written By: Dagwood on 08/27/04 at 7:45 pm

I'm sorry you find it offensive, and I respect your right to your religious beliefs. Keep them in your church and out of our laws. No one is advocating that churches should perform gay marriages if they choose not to, simply that the state should provide legal recognition for gay unions. There are lots of things various religious groups find sinful, like eating pork. Should those prohibitions also become part of our legal structure?

I am not saying my church should establish the laws of the country.  I am saying that just because people think gay marriage is wrong doesn't make them homophobic.  I am not advocating a church run government.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/27/04 at 10:32 pm

I'm sorry you find it offensive, and I respect your right to your religious beliefs.  Keep them in your church and out of our laws.  No one is advocating that churches should perform gay marriages if they choose  not to, simply that the state should provide legal recognition for gay unions.  There are lots of things various religious groups find sinful, like eating pork.  Should those prohibitions also become part of our legal structure? 

You CAN NOT keep individual people's religious beliefs out of the legal and political system.  People vote for politicians, referenda, etc... based on what they believe to be best for either themselves or society.  So the idea that beliefs can be kept out of the legal system is a pipe dream.

As long as a law passes muster with the constitution and was legally enacted via legislative procedures, or direct referendum vote, I have no problem with a religiously-originated policy or law.

By the way... lack of a "religion" is a "religion" of its own.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/27/04 at 11:50 pm

I stray a bit off topic here, sorry.

By the way... lack of a "religion" is a "religion" of its own.

I don't agree with that.  Atheism is not the same as religion no matter how zealously it is  practiced. At the same time, I wish atheists were not so threatened by the religious beliefs of others.  After all, religion is not a hideous state conspiracy to keep the populus docile.  I mean, the American Christian Right treats it as such, and those of us who wish to keep church and state separate should oppose the Christian Right vigorously.  Furthermore, if a faction of fundamentalist Jews or fundamentalist Muslims should rise in political power, we should oppose them just as vigorously.
I'm still ambivalent where to draw the line in public schools.  Prayer? Definitely not.  If the school wants to observe a holiday with "educational" activities, I don't have a problem with it.  I went to a Waldorf elementary school.  We learned everything from Greek myths,* to the story of Jesus, to the story of Buddha, and the story of Mohammed.  We observed Christmas with elaborate candle ceremonies, advent calendars, carols, and so forth.  We also learned about Chaunaka.  None of us ever found these things intrusive or offense, and neither did our parents.
Being a private school, there were prayers, but the were of the ecumenical and theosophical persuasion.
Unfortunately, those who push for prayer in public schools tend not to be your ecumenicals or theosophists.  They tend to be stark-raving Bible-thumping evangelical fundamentalists who would like nothing more than to start the morning with a rain of fire and brimstone, and reference HELL as the destiny for all children who do not accept Jesus as their personal lord and savior. 
That's the biggest reason I'm so adamant against letting the religious camel get his nose into the  public school tent.

*The Greek myths are basically lurid tales of sex and violence, so as children we got a rather expurgated and simplistic version.  I suppose it's not such a great idea to tell fifth graders stories of children murdering their parents, and fathers raping their daughters, and so forth...
:o

Check for new replies or respond here...