» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: jeb bush working hard for ... who?

Written By: danootaandme on 08/29/04 at 6:41 pm

Jeb Bush proposes Florida as launchpad for Québec

Clairandrée Cauchy,  Le Devoir – July 28,  2004

One out of ten Quebecers visits Florida each year and over 150,000 Quebecers own a home in the sunshine state. Florida Governor John Ellis (“Jeb”) Bush wants to forge even closer links, by encouraging Québec entrepreneurs to use his state as a launchpad for Latin America.

Bush is on a two-day mission to “La Belle Province” along with 120 representatives of the Florida business community (a flashback to trade missions led by former Québec Premier Lucien Bouchard). Yesterday, the U.S. President’s brother signed an economic, scientific and technological cooperation agreement with Québec Premier Jean Charest. A cooperation agreement was also signed by McGill University and the University of Miami.
www.quebecnews.com/en/show_brief.asp?lang=AN&no=8245&dt=7/28/04&homepage=TRUE
So jeb bush is went to Quebec to drum up business that will ultimately end up in Latin America,
Hmmmmmmm.  ???  With dad in the Carlyle Group it seems that the selling of America is the family business

Subject: Re: jeb bush working hard for ... who?

Written By: conker on 08/30/04 at 1:38 pm

I wonder if the 'Latin America' Jeb is referring to means Cuba.
There'a a booming business up here, especially in Montreal in companies that arrange phone call, letters, wire transfers and travel to Cuba since Americans usually can't directly access Cuba except on humanitairian grounds.

Other than that it's nothing strange many Canadain Provinces and US states have working argeements like they are working on.
The current Premier of Quebec is a strong federalist and not a separatist so this may all be much ado about nothing.

Written By: danootaandme on 08/30/04 at 4:42 pm

I wonder if the 'Latin America' Jeb is referring to means Cuba.
There'a a booming business up here, especially in Montreal in companies that arrange phone call, letters, wire transfers and travel to Cuba since Americans usually can't directly access Cuba except on humanitairian grounds.

Other than that it's nothing strange many Canadian Provinces and US states have working agreements like they are working on.
The current Premier of Quebec is a strong federalist and not a separatist so this may all be much ado about nothing.

You could be right about the Cuban connection.  That could make this very interesting because the bushs are very outspoked about not normalizing relations with Cuba, so for jeb to allow Florida to be a middleground for economic development in Cuba by another country asks more questions than it answers.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/30/04 at 5:43 pm

Maybe the Quebeckers can trade goods to Cuba for Cubans-in-crates!
8)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/30/04 at 6:14 pm

I really can't understand why the U.S. hates Cuba so much but kowtows to the Cubians who live in Miami.

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 08/30/04 at 8:50 pm

I really can't understand why the U.S. hates Cuba so much but kowtows to the Cubians who live in Miami.

Cat

A good number of the Cubans who got out of Cuba when Castro came into power were not boat Cubans, they were monied Cubans.  I'm sure that answers your question.

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/01/04 at 4:49 pm

A good number of the Cubans who got out of Cuba when Castro came into power were not boat Cubans, they were monied Cubans.  I'm sure that answers your question.

Not only were they monied, some were pro Batista murderers, some were mafioso clones, some were big-time pimps, etc.  Personally, I was a bit disappointed when Fidel stoped calling them gusanos.  Many of them truely were worms, and these are the folks we welcomed as refugees.  since they have distorted politics in both Florida and New Jersey, this is just another example of how the "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" philosophy gets you into trouble - like with Osama in Afganistan.  Oh when will they ever learn?

Written By: danootaandme on 09/02/04 at 5:45 am

this is just another example of how the "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" philosophy gets you into trouble - like with Osama in Afganistan.  Oh when will they ever learn?

They learned, but don't care as long as it moves their agenda, or fills their pockets.  That, in too many
cases can be the same thing.

Check for new replies or respond here...