» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Which party are you REALLY helping?

Written By: MooRocca on 08/31/04 at 8:54 am

See which party's campaigns benefit every time you buy something, add to the ratings of a television program, etc.

http://www.followyourmoney.com/

Subject: Re: Which party are you REALLY helping?

Written By: Dagwood on 08/31/04 at 7:11 pm

Top Republican Givers

United Parcel Service, Inc.  (also on Dem list)
Verizon Communications Inc. (also on Dem list)
J.P. Morgan Chase & Co.  (also on Dem list)
FedEx Corporation  (also on Dem list)
SBC Communications Inc. (also on Dem list)
Union Pacific Corporation
Philip Morris Companies Inc.
BellSouth Corporation (also on Dem list)
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (also on Dem list)
AFLAC Incorporated

Top Democratic Givers

J.P. Morgan Chase & Co.
SBC Communications Inc.
United Parcel Service, Inc.
BellSouth Corporation
Verizon Communications Inc.
FedEx Corporation
General Electric Company
AT&T Corporation
AFLAC Incorporated
MORGAN STANLEY

Looking at just the top 10 on the front page, it doesn't matter what you buy....most of them are giving to both parties.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/31/04 at 7:49 pm

They're both Big Business parties.  Only one has the clique of neocon loony-toons, as dangerous as giving a loaded revolver to a three-year old.
I can't believe anybody buys Giulliani's rhetoric about Bush "saving" the Brooklyn Bridge, the subway system, the Stock Exchange and so forth from terrorist attacks.  Like if Gore was in office we'd all be blown to smithereens over night.  It's SOOO much B.S.  I mean, I've NEVER in my life seen B.S. piled so high and deep!

Written By: MooRocca on 08/31/04 at 7:56 pm

Top Republican Givers

United Parcel Service, Inc.

Written By: resinchaser on 08/31/04 at 9:01 pm

The only party i'm helping is the labour day party we're having this week-end :P

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/31/04 at 10:00 pm

Interesting figures.  I would think J.P. Morgan would give to Republicans over Dems by a huge margin.  Anyway, what site are those figures from?

Written By: MooRocca on 08/31/04 at 10:54 pm

Interesting figures.  I would think J.P. Morgan would give to Republicans over Dems by a huge margin.  Anyway, what site are those figures from?

http://www.followyourmoney.com/

Click on the company names to get the breakdown.  Click on the column headings over the Dem and Rep columns to list the top 100, ten per page... or click on the heading over the percentages in the top 100 for either party to  show the top 100 by percentage of total donations going out to that party (of donations greater than 50 grand.)  You can also punch in company names and, if they have the data available, see how that company divvies up its political donations.   

Written By: Hairspray on 08/31/04 at 11:45 pm

Many big corporations throw huge shindigs and donate to both parties because it's a safe bet for them in the long run. No matter which party wins, they're golden. Most of these companies need the strong political support their donations buy them because most of these companies have issues before Congress. The political parties need the money, so the propositions are mutually beneficial. Government has always been corrupt with special favors and special interests. However, in today's day and age it has become the norm and quite blatant. What's this world coming to? :-\\

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/01/04 at 3:44 pm

Many big corporations throw huge shindigs and donate to both parties because it's a safe bet for them in the long run. No matter which party wins, they're golden. Most of these companies need the strong political support their donations buy them because most of these companies have issues before Congress. The political parties need the money, so the propositions are mutually beneficial. Government has always been corrupt with special favors and special interests. However, in today's day and age it has become the norm and quite blatant. What's this world coming to? :-\\

What it's coming to is the best government money can buy, and since most of us have relatively little, guess what?  Which is NOT to say I see no differences.  We just need to be careful as to who we lable as a "sapecial interest".

Written By: Hairspray on 09/02/04 at 9:30 am

We just need to be careful as to who we lable as a "special interest".

Fortunately, I don't have to worry about labeling anyone as a special interest specifically. Those who are guilty are doing a bang-up job placing themselves front row and center. As I said, it's downright blatant nowadays.

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/02/04 at 9:36 am

Fortunately, I don't have to worry about labeling anyone as a special interest specifically. Those who are guilty are doing a bang-up job placing themselves front row and center. As I said, it's downright blatant nowadays.

To an extent you are right.  What I was suggesting is that lots of groups/orgs that advocate for the public or the majority interest, like labor or enviro groups are routinely called special interest groups, as if the were in the same league as the drug companies' organization or the Am. Assoc. of manufacturers.

Written By: Hairspray on 09/02/04 at 9:48 am

What I was suggesting is that lots of groups/orgs that advocate for the public or the majority interest, like labor or enviro groups are routinely called special interest groups, as if the were in the same league as the drug companies' organization or the Am. Assoc. of manufacturers.

Most advocate organizations to which you refer are excluded from my points, but not all. Some do sell-out under the guise of selfless benefit.

Check for new replies or respond here...