» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Clinton to undergo quadruple bypass surgery

Written By: MooRocca on 09/03/04 at 12:09 pm

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&e=1&u=/nm/20040903/pl_nm/people_clinton_dc

Subject: Re: Clinton to undergo quadruple bypass surgery

Written By: Hairspray on 09/03/04 at 12:34 pm

Just heard about it on the news. May he pull through without incident.

For those who may hold grudges for one reason or another, try and remember that he's just a flawed human being like the rest of us. ;)

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/03/04 at 12:37 pm

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&e=1&u=/nm/20040903/pl_nm/people_clinton_dc

When My Mum was having heart troubles, the doctor came out and told me that she would need a triple Bypass.  The doctor showed me the X-ray images of my Mum's heart and pointed out the three blockages (hence a "triple" bypass needed).

When I was looking at the X-ray I pointed out an area to the Doc and said "What's this?  Looks like those other three blockages".  The Doc said "Oh yeah, YEAH.  I meant to say a QUADRUPLE Bypass".

I always told my Mum that she owes me a consultation fee...  ;D

Written By: saver on 09/03/04 at 1:17 pm

okay someone has to say it:  HE WAS ASKING WHERE ELSE HE CAN FIND AN INTERN AND WAS TLD MAYBE IF YOU CHECK INTO A HOSPITAL.......

(Let's watch Leno, Conan, and Letterman have a field day with this tonight-I bet ya!)

Watch if they don't say some line to the effect of- 'he was told to take 2 interns and call his doctor in the morning'.... 

saver

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/03/04 at 1:40 pm

I couldn't stand the man as president but I certainly don't wish anyone any harm...so I hope he pulls through. My father had triple bypass surgery back in '98 and he's doing just fine. Good luck Bill ;)

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/03/04 at 3:10 pm

When My Mum was having heart troubles, the doctor came out and told me that she would need a triple Bypass.  The doctor showed me the X-ray images of my Mum's heart and pointed out the three blockages (hence a "triple" bypass needed).

When I was looking at the X-ray I pointed out an area to the Doc and said "What's this?  Looks like those other three blockages".  The Doc said "Oh yeah, YEAH.  I meant to say a QUADRUPLE Bypass".

I always told my Mum that she owes me a consultation fee...  ;D

Did she pay up?  ;D

I couldn't stand the man as president but I certainly don't wish anyone any harm...so I hope he pulls through. My father had triple bypass surgery back in '98 and he's doing just fine. Good luck Bill ;)

Knowing your distaste foir our former Pres, I must applaude your good wishes.  While I have disagreed with you, often and vociforously, your good will here only adds to the respect that I hold for you.

Very glad your dad is doing well.  My dad, at almost 85, is still going strong, knock on wood (or pray to the God/Godess). 

Written By: danootaandme on 09/03/04 at 3:23 pm

I have to wonder how it could have gotten this far without the doctors picking up on it.
He has the best health care in the world, didn't anyone check his cholesterol or do an
MRI or any of those all encompassing diagnostics on him?  They better take care of
Bill, all of Harlem is watching.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/03/04 at 3:34 pm

I have to wonder how it could have gotten this far without the doctors picking up on it.
He has the best health care in the world, didn't anyone check his cholesterol or do an
MRI or any of those all encompassing diagnostics on him?  They better take care of
Bill, all of Harlem is watching.

That's the reality of coronary heart disease.  There is no simple noninvasive "test" to find it.  An MRI will not find it either.  And high cholesterol only means you have a propensity for blockages to happen, not that you have them today.

You can have a full-blown stress test on one day that shows nothing whatsoever, and then a few weeks later get diagnosed for a bypass because several coronary arteries got plugged and you have angina pains.  Medical researchers are finding that the mechanism for plugging arteries is quite complex and can happen rapidly.

The only "tried and true" way to find a coronary blockage is to do a heart catheterization, which is a risky and expensive proposition, and certainly not a procedure that you are going to do on an ex-President who is not showing any symptoms.  (Although I can assure you that he has had a catheterization today to verify those blockages.  it is SOP when a blockage is suspected.)

Written By: Jessica on 09/03/04 at 3:43 pm

Guess he'll be giving up interns and cigars. :P

Seriously, I hope everything goes okay and I wish him well.

Why does it seem to me that he's much too young to be having these problems? ???

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/03/04 at 3:47 pm

That's the reality of coronary heart disease.  There is no simple noninvasive "test" to find it.  An MRI will not find it either.  And high cholesterol only means you have a propensity for blockages to happen, not that you have them today.

You can have a full-blown stress test on one day that shows nothing whatsoever, and then a few weeks later get diagnosed for a bypass because several coronary arteries got plugged and you have angina pains.  Medical researchers are finding that the mechanism for plugging arteries is quite complex and can happen rapidly.

The only "tried and true" way to find a coronary blockage is to do a heart catheterization, which is a risky and expensive proposition, and certainly not a procedure that you are going to do on an ex-President who is not showing any symptoms.  (Although I can assure you that he has had a catheterization today to verify those blockages.  it is SOP when a blockage is suspected.)

Thanks, LB for the brief low down on the science.  You appear to know lots more than the rest of us.  Hope my attempt at humor was not offensive.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/03/04 at 3:47 pm

Get well soon, Mr. President.

Fortunately, these days bypass surgery is a pretty meat-and-potatoes operation, no pun intended!  It's still serious, but it's reliably successful.

The Presidency is a high stress operation.  If you look at the clips of Clinton during his 1992 campaign  and the clips of him in 2000, he looks like he's aged sixteen years, not eight.  

LBJ died of a heart attack a mere 5 years after his Presidency.  Of course, LBJ was a heavy drinker and so forth, but I think the stress accelerated the problem.  Johnson really wasn't that old.  I think he was 66.

Max

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/03/04 at 3:56 pm

Fortunately, these days bypass surgery is a pretty meat-and-potatoes operation, no pun intended!  It's still serious, but it's reliably successful.

The Presidency is a high stress operation.  If you look at the clips of Clinton during his 1992 campaign  and the clips of him in 2000, he looks like he's aged sixteen years, not eight.  

LBJ died of a heart attack a mere 5 years after his Presidency.  Of course, LBJ was a heavy drinker and so forth, but I think the stress accelerated the problem.  Johnson really wasn't that old.  I think he was 66.

Max

While I disagreed with LBJ over a number of issues, and was in the streets as a result, the one thing I would say is that he took his responsibility seriously.  We tend to think of LBJ in terms of Vietnam - his scar, if you get my meaning - but he was also the supporter of the Civil Right and the Voting Right laws, and the author of the Great Society and War on Poverty initiatives (and LBJ's "war on poverty didn't mean killing poor people).  He could have been a great president, but for Vietnam.  Hubris?  I guess that he died a disappointed man who knew that he booted an opportunity for greatness.  Sad.

Written By: Indy Gent on 09/03/04 at 4:00 pm

He shouldn't have eaten at McDonald's so often. ::)

Anyhoo, I hope he makes a good recovery. I didn't like the guy myself, but a lot of my co-workers liked his work as President. 

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/03/04 at 4:46 pm

He shouldn't have eaten at McDonald's so often. ::)

Anyhoo, I hope he makes a good recovery. I didn't like the guy myself, but a lot of my co-workers liked his work as President. 

Having never met him I don't know if I would like him or not.  He is, now, "just one of us" as far as I'm concerned, and I wish him a quick recovery.  No politics here (well, almost).  I'd say the same for Lil' Georgie if he needed med attention (he has lots of health insurance, to be sure - that's a political shot - so does Bubba - why don't we all?).  I wish no one ill health. 

My youngest worked at Micky D's for about a year, ate there a lot because "I was there", and put on lots of weight, which she is now struggling to lose.  This "fast food" culture could be more dangerous than Al Quida in the long run.

Written By: Bobby on 09/03/04 at 4:51 pm

He looked pretty healthy to me. I'm sure he will feel better soon.

What was good and bad about his presidency?

Written By: Dagwood on 09/03/04 at 7:36 pm

My youngest worked at Micky D's for about a year, ate there a lot because "I was there", and put on lots of weight, which she is now struggling to lose. This "fast food" culture could be more dangerous than Al Quida in the long run.

You are so right.  You have a better chance of dying because of weight or diet related problems than in a terror attack.

I was shocked when I heard this.  I guess it takes more than exercise to keep you healthy.  I will admit I thought about the Big Macs he loves.  My thoughts and prayers are with him for a speedy recovery.

On a side note...the national reporter kept calling him ex-president.  That drove me insane.  It is Former president, not ex.  It is a matter of respect, man.  I wasn't fond of his presidency, but I respect the office...and him.  It can't be an easy job to do.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/03/04 at 8:24 pm

Thanks, LB for the brief low down on the science.  You appear to know lots more than the rest of us.  Hope my attempt at humor was not offensive.

No offense taken, Don Carlos.

Every ancestor of mine (aunts, uncles, grandparents, Dad) has died from both stroke and heart attack, so knowing about it is kind of a family tradition.  (By "every ancestor", I mean that except for my Great Grandfather who was shot, and my Grandmother who died from radiation poisoning, all ancestors on both sides of the family had BOTH stroke and heart attack).  No cancer, though, except for that pesky skin cancer.

The good news is that average person in my family lives to be 85, so overall we do pretty good in the health department (as long as we do not get shot).

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/03/04 at 8:25 pm

You are so right.  You have a better chance of dying because of weight or diet related problems than in a terror attack.

Now there's a huge understatement.  As an American, your chances of dying from weight or diet related problems versus dying in terrorism-relate violence are about a billion to one!  

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/03/04 at 8:28 pm

Max

LBJ had a bad heart for years though.  Recall that he had a heart attack while he was in office.

Back then if you had heart problems there was not w hole lot they could do for you other than to give you nitroglycerine, BP medicine, and bedrest.  No cholesterol-reducing drugs, no bypass operations, no balloon jobs.  Heart treatments have come a long way in the past 30 years.  :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/03/04 at 8:31 pm

LBJ had a bad heart for years though.  Recall that he had a heart attack while he was in office.

Back then if you had heart problems there was not w hole lot they could do for you other than to give you nitroglycerine, BP medicine, and bedrest.  No cholesterol-reducing drugs, no bypass operations, no balloon jobs.  Heart treatments have come a long way in the past 30 years.  :)

You hit the nail on the head there.  It's been fairly recently that people were expected to live past their sixties.  In the old days, the attitude was God set the standard at three score and ten, anything beyond that is a gift!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/03/04 at 11:28 pm

Knowing your distaste foir our former Pres, I must applaude your good wishes.  While I have disagreed with you, often and vociforously, your good will here only adds to the respect that I hold for you.

Thank you....that means a LOT coming from you....I share your passion and although we don't always agree on some things, I DO believe we are both kind and caring, Thanks again, Don Carlos....and let's both say a prayer for Bill ;)

Written By: danootaandme on 09/04/04 at 5:52 am

He looked pretty healthy to me. I'm sure he will feel better soon.

What was good and bad about his presidency?

We don't mean to ignore this question, but,  I'm sure my fellow americans would agree this
is a question is so large it would need it's own thread. 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/04/04 at 10:59 am

My dad has had angioplasic (however it is spelled) twice. The first time he had it done, they noticed that there was scar tissue on his heart. Apparently, he had a heart attack and was not aware of it. When it happened is anyone's guess. The think is, his father died of heart attack in his 60s. My dad has passed him in age but it still worries him. He has changed his diet and exersizes regularly. He is doing well.

I do wish Bill a speedy recovery. As Hillary said, at least he has good health insurance.

Anyone who wants to send Bill well wishes can do so at

http://www.clintonpresidentialcenter.org/getwell.htm

Cat

Written By: Dagwood on 09/04/04 at 11:09 am

Thanks for that link, Cat.  I am going to send my wishes now.

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/04/04 at 4:35 pm

Thank you....that means a LOT coming from you....I share your passion and although we don't always agree on some things, I DO believe we are both kind and caring, Thanks again, Don Carlos....and let's both say a prayer for Bill ;)

You are quite welcome.  I don't "pray" but I do hope for his quick recovery.  And thank you!!

Written By: Bobby on 09/04/04 at 5:11 pm

We don't mean to ignore this question, but,  I'm sure my fellow americans would agree this
is a question is so large it would need it's own thread.   

Ah right. That's fine. I didn't know whether someone covered it previously and whether I have been ignorant enough to ignore it.  ;D

Written By: Dagwood on 09/04/04 at 9:43 pm

Ah right. That's fine. I didn't know whether someone covered it previously and whether I have been ignorant enough to ignore it. ;D

Or smart enough. ;)  That might be an interesting thread.

Written By: Bobby on 09/05/04 at 5:53 pm

Or smart enough. ;)  That might be an interesting thread.

:)

Written By: Davester on 09/07/04 at 7:19 pm

In terms of the politics, it'll be interesting to see if his absence from the political scene will have an impact on the election. Rumors and conspiracy theories to the contrary, Clinton's been an outspoken supporter of Kerry and Kerry's going to need that support this fall.

I think in general it won't matter too much. Missing a few speeches won't change anybody's mind one way or the other. But I do wonder whether Clinton's peripheral impact during the upcoming debates might have contributed in some way.

Oh, by the way...there's allegedly no truth to the rumor that now that he's had a heart bypass he'll have to switch to the Republican party...

Check for new replies or respond here...